PDA

View Full Version : Too much air intake?

BEK-46P
11th July 2009, 12:11 PM
Is it possible you can have too much air intake after installing a cold air intake? I'm guessing that delay you hear when giving it a quick squeeze in neutral means just that. Does this mean I may need to adjust the chip?

mania
11th July 2009, 03:30 PM
You cannot have too much air intake. There can be issues with the way the air flows through the AFM though, if the air is turbulent as it goes past it may not give good readings, this is an issue I've heard of some people having with pod filters. Fiddle the positioning a bit and it comes good.

HappySlapper82
11th July 2009, 03:44 PM
Is it possible you can have too much air intake after installing a cold air intake? I'm guessing that delay you hear when giving it a quick squeeze in neutral means just that. Does this mean I may need to adjust the chip?

I would do a vacuum test on the intake. Usually a delay would mean there is still a restriction somewhere

Wraith
12th July 2009, 09:26 PM

Yes - I believe you can !

It is a specific thing though and affects certain set ups...

I had this problem with my turbo vert, fitted a high flow intake filter with a certain re-map, definitely could hear and feel more air ingestion, but at a certain rev range the engine would retard and go backwards ! immediately after putting the stock air filter back on, all was back to normal...

I put it down to the ecu's sensors not being happy with the extra air flow especially in lieu of the re-map...

I'd say you could definitely cure the problem with a thorough cuatom tune using a piggy back ecu as some here have done :)

BEK-46P
12th July 2009, 10:57 PM
OK, thought so. It just feels as though the car doesn't know what to do with all this extra gush of air.

Can you tell me more about the cuatom tune?

lithium
13th July 2009, 10:19 AM

i don't suppose that is just the fly-by-wire lag?

glider
13th July 2009, 10:28 AM
OK, thought so. It just feels as though the car doesn't know what to do with all this extra gush of air.

have you disconnected your battery to reset the ecu?

Wraith
13th July 2009, 10:31 AM

1st off apologies for my spelling error of 'custom' which was copied by you LOL...

Basically any piggy back ecu (Haltech is a popular one) fitted to and tuned via a dyno on your car will override the factory ecu's control to a point of all these things...

It comes in handy if you've done alot more work to your engine and can help to make it run smooth and extract max. power from your mods.

Lots of people here have done it, good person to ask is Gavin (CNBLU) :)

If all you have is a remap, the advice always given is to stick to a stock set up with everything else on the intake side, as that is how the maps are designed and test run from the firms that make them...

Exhaust mods pre and aft cat seem to be ok too, but where ever there's sensors you'll run into trouble unless you address them also - all depends how far you want to go :)

BEK-46P
13th July 2009, 06:38 PM
have you disconnected your battery to reset the ecu?

Didn't know I had to do that. Is that something that needs to be done after a mod?

Nurb608
13th July 2009, 06:46 PM
Didn't know I had to do that. Is that something that needs to be done after a mod?

I do it after any performance mod. Lets the ecu learn the new values.

glider
14th July 2009, 01:34 AM

I do it after any performance mod. Lets the ecu learn the new values.

best way to explain it is it sort of clears the cache, resets to default and has to learn values specific to your car again starting from the generic map in the ecu. atleast thats how I think it works

Shay
14th July 2009, 01:40 AM
best way to explain it is it sort of clears the cache, resets to default and has to learn values specific to your car again starting from the generic map in the ecu. atleast thats how I think it works

good way to think about it....
when you install a new program, you should restart your computer...