PDA

View Full Version : Seti@home

poita
10th July 2009, 07:33 PM
I reckon I'm not the only one here who uses it, or has used it over the years.

Join Opelaus Fourms ;)

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=139179

glider
10th July 2009, 07:54 PM
I was looking into this a while ago but couldnt find it, cheers pete

Vectracious
10th July 2009, 11:18 PM
LOL - forgot about this - years ago I had every computer in a pharmacy I used to work in running Seti @ home - had some huge stats because they would all be churning away 24hrs a day 7 days a week.... Will have to get it going on the computers at work - maybe even on our server - nothing like some Quad Core unit processing!!!!

hazrd
11th July 2009, 06:28 AM
wtf is it??????

poita
11th July 2009, 06:48 AM
LOL - forgot about this - years ago I had every computer in a pharmacy I used to work in running Seti @ home - had some huge stats because they would all be churning away 24hrs a day 7 days a week.... Will have to get it going on the computers at work - maybe even on our server - nothing like some Quad Core unit processing!!!!

hehehe nice work :)

wtf is it??????

it searches for aliens ;)

Kudrow
12th July 2009, 09:21 AM

It uses spare CPU time to "decode" "jobs" sent to your computer via the Seti@home server. Main information page is here http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/.

You need a client program developed by the university called BOINC. Once this is on the computer or computers, it downloads jobs from the Seti server and when your screensaver starts, the action begins.

It's run by Berkeley University in California.

As there is some people who are iffy about this kind of stuff, no it isn't Spam or Spyware and no it doesn't burn your bandwidth from your internet connection.

Neeko
12th July 2009, 10:35 AM

i actually though u were kidding

auzvectra
12th July 2009, 01:21 PM
It uses spare CPU time to "decode" "jobs" sent to your computer via the Seti@home server. Main information page is here http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/.

You need a client program developed by the university called BOINC. Once this is on the computer or computers, it downloads jobs from the Seti server and when your screensaver starts, the action begins.

It's run by Berkeley University in California.

As there is some people who are iffy about this kind of stuff, no it isn't Spam or Spyware and no it doesn't burn your bandwidth from your internet connection.

interesting, bandwidth doesnt worry me, i dont have a big enough hard drive, external, or enough dvd's to use mine :p. go the 80 gig cap :D.

although the same goes for having enough hdd to d/l the file or run it :(.

maybe when i get a decent size external i will ;), tb external all the way :).

poita
12th July 2009, 01:37 PM
i actually though u were kidding

lol i was 100% serious

Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) ;)

mania
12th July 2009, 02:00 PM
Too busy curing cancer to hunt for little green men right now :)

(Folding@Home)

hazrd
12th July 2009, 04:55 PM
interesting read... probably not something i want to participate in though lol

ASTRAY
12th July 2009, 08:13 PM
Too busy curing cancer to hunt for little green men right now :)

(Folding@Home)
+1 ps3 FTW

Vectracious
12th July 2009, 08:31 PM
Joined. :D

glider
12th July 2009, 09:09 PM
interesting, bandwidth doesnt worry me, i dont have a big enough hard drive, external, or enough dvd's to use mine :p. go the 80 gig cap :D.

although the same goes for having enough hdd to d/l the file or run it :(.

maybe when i get a decent size external i will ;), tb external all the way :).

for me, its using 40MB of space, has been since I installed it ;)

poita
12th July 2009, 09:40 PM
yer i run folding on my PS3 also ;)

within boinc itself you can run multiple types
so can have seti & folding running 50/50 :)

Vectracious
13th July 2009, 07:46 AM
damn it Pete, youve got me obsessed again - got both the laptop and pc at home running it, and have installed it already on 3 of the newer computers at work (all Core 2 Duos @ 2.83GHz :D :D )

dunno if I want to chuck it on the server just yet - unless I change the affinities because our dispensing program will only hit on one processor. (its old and crap and designed in the days of 486's.... :( )

poita
13th July 2009, 02:30 PM
running on 5 computers!!

nice work pete

hazrd
13th July 2009, 04:09 PM
damn it Pete, youve got me obsessed again - got both the laptop and pc at home running it, and have installed it already on 3 of the newer computers at work (all Core 2 Duos @ 2.83GHz :D :D )

dunno if I want to chuck it on the server just yet - unless I change the affinities because our dispensing program will only hit on one processor. (its old and crap and designed in the days of 486's.... :( )

running on 5 computers!!

nice work pete

:l33t:

im still trying to understand how this benefits you though.... does the screensaver do anything fancy while its chugging away?

poita
13th July 2009, 06:04 PM
no benefit to you at all.

think of it as helping the good of the world.

and the screensaver gives you pretty colours and graphs and stuff

Kudrow
13th July 2009, 07:10 PM
See http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=seti%40home%20screesaver&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Vectracious
13th July 2009, 07:12 PM
theres a lot of other projects you can be part of as well - like studying global warming, or analysing proteins to help treat disease and others. If you leave your computer on all the time and it spends a lot of time doing nothing (eg at work) might as well get it to do something while its just sitting there... :)

mania
13th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Should note that all of these cost $150 or so per decent computer a year to run in power costs... course if it's not your power bill, go for it :)

poita
13th July 2009, 08:28 PM
Should note that all of these cost $150 or so per decent computer a year to run in power costs... course if it's not your power bill, go for it :)

i leave my computer on 24/7 anyway, so no big deal.
im sure the 800w psu doesnt use that much :p

and as pete said, he has it on his work computers, which are on all of the time.

also its not like we are forcing ppl to use it.
its something i use, and wanted to know if anyone else used it.

ROCCO
15th July 2009, 09:37 AM
Bloody hell poita...800W PSU...WTF are you running???? I only have a 500W in mine and thats plenty...however would love something large to chew through my power bill lol

poita
15th July 2009, 09:57 AM
im kinda pre empting my upgrade.

currently: 3ghz amd dual core, 4gb ram, 8800gt, 4 x 320gb hard drives, and about 8 fans.
2 x tv tuners, card reader, dvd burner in a coolermaster cosmo case ;)

ROCCO
15th July 2009, 10:04 AM
im kinda pre empting my upgrade.

currently: 3ghz amd dual core, 4gb ram, 8800gt, 4 x 320gb hard drives, and about 8 fans.
2 x tv tuners, card reader, dvd burner in a coolermaster cosmo case ;)

:picsorban: lol

ROCCO
15th July 2009, 10:05 AM
on a side note if you don't mind me asking...what brand is your 800W?? What price did you pay. Sorry bit off topic I know

poita
15th July 2009, 10:19 AM
http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=455954#post455954 ;)

mania
15th July 2009, 11:41 AM
i leave my computer on 24/7 anyway, so no big deal.
im sure the 800w psu doesnt use that much :p

I was talking about the difference between a cpu idling, 0-2W, and a cpu going flat stick, which these days is 100W+. If you have the video card working too... that can be another 100W+ that I didn't factor in. :p

Not that major, but it certainly adds up!

poita
24th July 2009, 03:07 PM
have also created an OpelAus Forums group for Rosetta@home.

for those who wish to put there cpu processin time to good use

Vectracious
24th July 2009, 06:55 PM
have also created an OpelAus Forums group for Rosetta@home.

for those who wish to put there cpu processin time to good use

damn will need to get all the other pcs in the pharmacy to run the Rosetta@Home project :D

poita
14th October 2012, 05:04 PM
Anyone still running either of these?

Vectracious
14th October 2012, 09:46 PM
no, not anymore, stopped them years ago.

glider
15th October 2012, 12:07 AM
they're not gonna find anything anyway... should be looking locally, aliens made contact decades ago... :lol:

/notjoking

gman
15th October 2012, 12:24 PM
Aliens are here already. My PS3 still runs something but no idea. It just ticks over in the corner.

poita
15th October 2012, 12:34 PM
That would be folding@home ;)

gman
15th October 2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah...Thats the one :)

Maybe its my laptop at home that has Seti@home.... :lol:

Vectracious
23rd November 2012, 01:58 PM
so have installed BOINC on one of the back office computers at work again.....

poita
23rd August 2016, 11:46 AM
So still running this, anyone else?

dutchy
23rd August 2016, 12:38 PM
Read through it and have no idea what it is, what it does, what you can do with it or what benefit it has. :)