PDA

View Full Version : Launch Control/Flat Shift

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 12:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much would i be looking at for launch control and flat shifting unit for the astra? Yes i know it's a clutch killer etc but would only be for 1/4 miles etc.

Regal have developed one thats not yet advertised so looking at price comparisons.

Cheers :D

Wraith
10th July 2009, 12:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much would i be looking at for launch control and flat shifting unit for the astra? Yes i know it's a clutch killer etc but would only be for 1/4 miles etc.

Regal have developed one thats not yet advertised so looking at price comparisons.

Launch control in a stick shift manual :confused: someone will have to explain that one to me...

Flat chainging can be done on certain manual transmissions successfully at certain revs/speed, but normally as you said, it's a trans killer personally I wouldn't bother...

This is where autos (especially if fitted with a high stall converter etc.) or the automated manuals excel and are the superior choice for drag racing or quickest straight line performance ;)

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 01:34 PM
From Regal.

"Think how much time you waste between gears, lifting off the throttle...clutch down...shift gear....clutch out....throttle on......

imagine if you could keep your foot FLAT to the floor, right from a standing start untill you run out of tarmac.....

This Regal tailored launch/shift module will allow you do do that.

Pick your launch RPM, initiate launch mode, sit on the line with the turbo pre-spooling at your chosen rpm, drop the clutch, full throttle, keep the throttle pinned and just dip the clutch to change gear - keeping the turbo constantly spooled through the gears.

The module will cut ign when the clutch is depressed to limit rpm between gear changes but will keep fuel injection... much in the same way WRC anti-lag works, keeping you on boost for the duration of your run.

This rpm limit also allows you to change gear more precisely by allowing gear synchros to mesh accurately and more smoothly and reduce gearbox wear from otherwise inaccurate gearshifts

it's expected that you will cut at least 3-5 tenths off a 1/4 mile run with this system, often more!

System is fully inegrated into the cabin, and unless you tell your occupants they will never know it's there!

Normal driving will not be affected by the system install and it will not operate unless the arming sequence is completed - no fussy switchgear or clunky buttons http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

We have 4 Cars running this sytem now, and its hilariously good fun - you will be grinning from ear to ear! http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif "

mania
10th July 2009, 01:37 PM
Launch control in a stick shift manual :confused: someone will have to explain that one to me...

Exactly the same as on a dsg or anything else :confused:. You can preset revs at say 3000rpm, floor it, and the car will stay at those revs until you let the clutch out.

mania
10th July 2009, 01:40 PM
Hah sounds great nurb. I'm getting one :P. Can see Vauxhall is going to hate regal..

As for alternative units, I was looking one a while ago and couldn't find much. Most just disable spark plugs, which is a pretty bad way for going about it... but I thought that's what "cuts ignition" means? In which case, why do they then suggest this system retards ignition heavily, even until the exhaust valve is open, to be like antilag. :confused:

Anyway good find.

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm waiting to hear back on a price and there should be some vids tommorow of the test cars.

Still a while off before i look at actually getting one, need the diff first!

mania
10th July 2009, 01:51 PM
You really would need a diff :p. Wonder what the install is like, and how you go about activating/deactivating it? Sounds like it's a cat killer, not a turbo killer though - disables spark plugs. So there are other devices that do similar. Price should be (480-3hourslabor)/1.15... so once you find out, we should be able to figure out what they charge for labor over there :p.

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah, the cat was the next issue, but would try not to use it all around the place, if that works, lol :p

rjastra
10th July 2009, 02:12 PM
An interesting fact

The Chevy Cobalt SS with the turbo 2L Ecotec engine has a built in flatshifting mode for quick 0-100 and stand 1/4mile times.

GreyRex
10th July 2009, 02:25 PM
Did someone say bye bye warranty :D

Why not worry about an LSD to actually put the power down first???

mania
10th July 2009, 02:29 PM
Truth be told though, it's probably kinda on the gearbox then doing it badly without the unit.

Rjastra, interesting! Wonder if that's an ecu option the tuners just haven't figured out how to enable yet. Would probably cut injectors at the same time, saving the cat.

gslrallysport
10th July 2009, 02:36 PM

Pretty much any high end aftermarket computer can do launch control (stationary rpm limit), flat shit (ignition cut) and anti-lag (ignition retardation). None of them are particularly fancy things for a computer to do. 95% of current model Group N rally cars run all 3... But remember that flat shift has to be in conjunction with dog engagment gears. You can't do it on synchro box. So for a street car you could get helical cut gears put in a dog box for the best of both worlds... just don't drive tired and you'll have no problem shifting gears...

CNBLU
10th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Have a look at www.racelogic.co.uk (http://www.racelogic.co.uk)

chrissn89
10th July 2009, 03:16 PM
hmmm, id be more worried about getting the power down. i know if i ever dumped the clutch at 3,000rpm in first i wouldnt be going anywhere in a hurry. And flat shifting, what about just holding the revs up when changing gears......???

Id be looking at an LSD and sticky tyres, because you need to be able to get your power down.

gslrallysport
10th July 2009, 03:19 PM
And flat shifting, what about just holding the revs up when changing gears......???
I don't know how some people define it, but flat shifting is generally shifting without using the clutch, using dog engagement gears, and an ignition cut to cut torque. Not generally related to the revs during the shift.

chrissn89
10th July 2009, 04:02 PM
I don't know how some people define it, but flat shifting is generally shifting without using the clutch, using dog engagement gears, and an ignition cut to cut torque. Not generally related to the revs during the shift.
Sorry my bad i thought it meant, just holding your foot flat on the accelerator when changing gears...

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah, as I said before, the diff would come first. With the Regal one, you still have to use the clutch, you just don't have to take the foot off the accelerator.

kabel
10th July 2009, 08:49 PM
Just get the diff !......Group buy ? :)

mr corsa
10th July 2009, 09:29 PM
another name for the wonder regal gimmick is called gear change ingnition cut which can be done thru most aftermarket ecus as someone said

Nurb608
10th July 2009, 10:03 PM
Just get the diff !......Group buy ? :)

lol, thinkin about it ;)

mania
11th July 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm up... that's 3. Who wants to start it :)?

The fitting's the hard part though..

Nurb608
11th July 2009, 03:20 PM
lol, one of the guys with the test cars is taking her out today to do write up and vids at shakespeare in the UK.

Nurb608
11th July 2009, 03:49 PM
clear some space in ur inbox mania :p

Wraith
12th July 2009, 09:17 PM
Exactly the same as on a dsg or anything else :confused:. You can preset revs at say 3000rpm, floor it, and the car will stay at those revs until you let the clutch out.

Ok so it's the good ol clutch bomb thing on a manual...

Can't be good for longevity, reliablity etc. especially if the cars drivetrain wasn't designed for it to begin with...maybe like the Chevy Cobalt rj mentioned...

I'd take a close look at the results before getting serious with this one guys IMHO even an improvement of a few 10ths of a sec. over the 1/4 mile ain't worth the expense, wear n tear and the damage you'll be doing to your car as well as loosing your warranty...:nonod:

If you want to drive flat change fashion, get a 'good' auto or a DSG type trans equipped vehicle ;)

Nurb608
12th July 2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah, still waiting to hear back on it. Will be waiting a while before i even consider it, was just wondering what peoples opinions were on this stuff.

Steve
28th November 2010, 11:32 AM
Ok guys, apologies for waking up an old thread, but I don't want a flaming for not searching first.

I am currently in development with a US company for the launch anti-lag/flat shift kit to suit the Z20LET/L/H/R engined cars. Theoretically, this kit will work with any drive by wire Opel, although the point in a non-turbo car is not clear apart from flatshifting.

We're looking at around £200 UK retail, but this price may drop if we can hone the development models down to minimum spec. The current units are able to be tuned and set by a laptop and set to user requirements, with supplied software and leads, but we could do an "off the shelf" version with the programming removed.

MatsHolden
29th November 2010, 01:33 PM

Like this... throttle flat, no clutch on the up change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Qi7dlYKx0

EDIT: Didn't realise how old this thread was!

mr corsa
29th November 2010, 01:38 PM
i run a G.C.I.C gear change ignition cut thru my ecu and running a drive by wire

gman
29th November 2010, 04:42 PM
The VIPEC ecu will be doing mine once i get around to it....

poita
29th November 2010, 11:47 PM
i run a G.C.I.C gear change ignition cut thru my ecu and running a drive by wire

still same box as when i was in it?

mr corsa
30th November 2010, 08:03 AM
still same box as when i was in it?
maybe dont know if it was old ratios or new ones

Steve
24th June 2011, 12:00 PM
We've got our kit 80% installed on the car, will post pics of the custom install in the next week! VERY stealth!