PDA

View Full Version : Nokia apps thread (Symbian Series60v3)

HappySlapper82
7th July 2009, 06:33 PM
Well the dark side has one, so I thought I'd start one for Nokia users :p

I use;

Nokia picture editor

Share online - flickr (uploads your pics directly to your flickr account)

Garmin Mobile XT - Navigation and directory

X-plore - the only way to access those file Nokia don't want you to see :cornut:

irRemote - Transforms your phone into a remote for just about any AV

F-secure - Firewall, anti-virus, spyware and wallet

Skyfire - fasted phone browser on the market

SMS Preview

Nokia magnifier - works just how it sounds using the camera

Map my tracks - cardio and fitness tracker

Facebook

MSN Messenger

N-gage 2.0

vbag - Nintendo emulator for GBA, NES, SNES and N64

MagicKey - custom keys for gaming etc

BookReader - for reading ebooks

Nokia music Player

bender
7th July 2009, 06:38 PM
um hows msn go for u cause i got it on my n85 and do u have the security warning problem and if so how's u get rid of it

HappySlapper82
7th July 2009, 06:44 PM
um hows msn go for u cause i got it on my n85 and do u have the security warning problem and if so how's u get rid of it

Not sure mate, I've never had that problem. Did you download it from 3?

bender
7th July 2009, 06:46 PM
yep (good guess) asnd every couple seconds it comes up security warning allo application messenger to use network and send or recive data

HappySlapper82
7th July 2009, 06:48 PM
yep (good guess) asnd every couple seconds it comes up security warning allow application messenger to use network and send or recive data

Click YES because it needs this to work :p

bender
7th July 2009, 06:50 PM
yeah i do and it just keeps comming up

HappySlapper82
7th July 2009, 06:54 PM
There should be an option for your apps somewhere to always allow this

hazrd
7th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Garmin Mobile XT - Navigation and directory

X-plore - the only way to access those file Nokia don't want you to see :cornut:

SMS Preview

where did u get these from?
does the garmin mobile XT come with maps?

:D

these would rock on my n85

HappySlapper82
7th July 2009, 07:03 PM
where did u get these from?
does the garmin mobile XT come with maps?

:D

these would rock on my n85

Yes I got Australia wide maps. It's the exact same operating system as their high end Navigation units with google search built which really is amazing to see work (search an address with google and it loads up automatically to the map :eek:)

You can buy all those apps except a couple which were free from OVI store

Brazza
9th July 2009, 06:43 PM

F-secure - Firewall, anti-virus, spyware and wallet

Nokia magnifier - works just how it sounds using the camera

vbag - Nintendo emulator for GBA, NES, SNES and N64

cheers for the list I'm always on the lookout for cool new apps for my n85 and these look pretty handy/ fun

SMS Preview

Don't know what u see in these 2 though.. SMS preview is ok I guess but it annoyed me after a while because it got in the way of actually opening the messages to reply.

As for skyfire, I reckon Opera mini is waaaaay better. Entering text on skyfire takes way longer than it should and I didn't really notice a massive difference in speed, certainly not enough of one to make me choose it over opera.

Brazza
9th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Also a couple of apps I have on my phone that have come in handy.

BT File Manager

pretty widely known app for accessing files on other people's phones via bluetooth and initiating transfer yourself. They need to accept your request first though, so no clandestine file stealing for all u shifty bastards :p

FS Caller

This has without a doubt, been the most useful app I have ever downloaded. It's just a program that fills the screen with a certain image when the related person is calling you and it also displays their name in big yellow font.

Probably easy to dismiss as a standard feature on most phones but it is a life saver if your phone has the retarded problem of not displaying a calling contact's name if you have their number saved in the international format (+6140 000 000) as my phone does :mad:

Easy Wi-Fi

This one is very handy as it automatically detects the best option for connecting to the internet wherever you are and provides it as the default for that occasion. Good for peace of mind since I know, before using it, I was never quite sure if I was eating away at my bill by surfing the net or if I was connected to a hotspot.

Lightsabre

not so much useful as pointless but fun nonetheless IMO.

Also, a good site for symbian compatible apps that also shows you if each app has been tested to work with your phone is getjar (www.getjar.com).

hope this is helpful to someone lol.

dieselhead
9th July 2009, 07:38 PM
You guys should try RaceChrono (http://www.racechrono.com/news/?p=118)

HappySlapper82
5th September 2009, 11:20 PM
I just found a really useful Nokia n95 "debranding" guide to help you get the operator blocked updates ;)

http://forum.nokia-n95.net/howto-debrand-your-n95-n95-8gb-phone-t762.0.html;wap2=

HappySlapper82
22nd September 2009, 05:26 PM
Quake 3 Arena now works on n95 8gb :cool: Also compatible with blue tooth keyboard/mouse, and online play :cornut:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/descriptions/games/quake_III_for_s60_phones.htm

mania
22nd September 2009, 05:30 PM
Q3A :eek:... the hours I have lost to that game.

Brightlight - Lets you turn the flash on.

Nsnort - lets you cut cocaine with your credit card and snort it.

About the only two useful apps I can think of that haven't already been mentioned ;).

hazrd
22nd September 2009, 05:39 PM
Quake 3 Arena now works on n95 8gb :cool: Also compatible with blue tooth keyboard/mouse, and online play :cornut:

http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/descriptions/games/quake_III_for_s60_phones.htm

:eek:
*clicks download*

edit: WTF... says S60 but limits the phone it can be used on?! bah

HappySlapper82
22nd September 2009, 05:59 PM
It is limited to only those phones because they are the only phones with enough RAM to run the game

mania
22nd September 2009, 06:01 PM
Rather, only those phones have hardware accelerated 3d graphics :p.

HappySlapper82
16th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Seen an iPhone web-app you like? Install it on your n95. It works thanks to Nokia's Safari code based browser :cool:

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/08/01/apple-iphone-web-apps-run-on-nokia-phones-too.html