PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Drivers are shocking!

USC
6th July 2009, 11:05 PM
Every time I drive at speed limit, there is always an idiot that has to speed and overtake me to finally go in front and slow down to speed limit again..WTF:confused: REALLY pisses me off..its like people are bloody impatient or have to feel like they are better than you by being in front :mad:

Another example, Im keeping a safe distance behind the car in front and an idiot has to overtake and fit in the gap in front of me!! arrrgggg...

Do you experience the same thing?

chrissn89
6th July 2009, 11:07 PM
yes

Jerram
6th July 2009, 11:10 PM
yeah I'm pretty sure that isn't just Melbourne drivers mate.

You ever heard of Tradies?

guy 27
6th July 2009, 11:11 PM
I must say Melbourne drivers are in general much better than Brisbane drivers(in the last 5 years). Especially in peak traffic.
Melbourne its a slow stop start. Brisbane they are full on acceleration then hard on brakes.

USC
6th July 2009, 11:15 PM
hmm...so its not just melbourne drivers!

yeh...tradies..haha. but the tradies i have seen drive well. its the people in their hotted up but gutless cars that usually tend to show off and drive dangerously!

gmonkey
6th July 2009, 11:26 PM
tradies over here... with f series utes or S/SS or xr6/8 utes with hardtop covers and spoilers on it with a trailer with shit cause they dont want to use there tray.. they sit in the right lane of freeway all the way then cut 4 lanes to get to off ramp last minute..

USC
6th July 2009, 11:32 PM
tradies over here... with f series utes or S/SS or xr6/8 utes with hardtop covers and spoilers on it with a trailer with shit cause they dont want to use there tray.. they sit in the right lane of freeway all the way then cut 4 lanes to get to off ramp last minute..

ah true! the tradies in SS or XR6/XR8 are shocking....I was talking about the ones in their hilux:p

Jerram
6th July 2009, 11:35 PM
ah true! the tradies in SS or XR6/XR8 are shocking....I was talking about the ones in their hilux:p

yeh they typically have spinners on that hilux.

I also like the ones that have gone for the high-on-appeal, low-on-practicality Polished Timber decked tray with no sidebars.

HoldenAstra
6th July 2009, 11:37 PM
me too
especially the second one:mad:

ChrisMaz
6th July 2009, 11:54 PM
At least Melbourne Drivers can merge... More than I can say for West Aussies.

Vectracious
6th July 2009, 11:56 PM
its the people in their hotted up but gutless cars that usually tend to show off and drive dangerously!

i've lost count the number of times some crappy lancer/civic have come flying up behind me and sit off my rear bumper, then do some elaborate overtake, only to just go the normal speed in front of me....

but standards have dropped in general. Probably whats worse are the 18 year old P-plater chicks in their Yaris/Golf/Astra that daddy bought them - think they own the road. Had one cut me off yesterday flying up the inside - probably missed my front bumper by inches - and what happened in the end - got stopped by the same traffic lights anyway. Almost causing an accident to end up in front rather than behind. She moved over pretty quick though when she looked into her rear vision mirror and saw it filled up with ze big black car, me scowling and my wife mouthing "stupid f*cking b*tch".... :cornut:

Vectracious
6th July 2009, 11:57 PM
At least Melbourne Drivers can merge... More than I can say for West Aussies.

no they can't - it why they have those stupid traffic lights on the entry ramps on the M1.... :rolleyes:

gmonkey
7th July 2009, 12:04 AM
dont get me started on merging.. it seems everyone over here thinks its ok to enter the freeway at 60km/h and then they sit next to another car not speeding up or slowing down to get in front/behind causing both to brake heavy once the lane goes or forcing car to jump lanes making right lane slow.. (between hepburn and whitfords is the worst spot on it) i blame ppl with white perms driving camrys or 4wd mums or just dumbarses. you have to be doing 100km/h at the merge point or it will frig it up for everyone..

appologies for rant lol :p

ChrisMaz
7th July 2009, 12:12 AM
dont get me started on merging.. it seems everyone over here thinks its ok to enter the freeway at 60km/h and then they sit next to another car not speeding up or slowing down to get in front/behind causing both to brake heavy once the lane goes or forcing car to jump lanes making right lane slow.. (between hepburn and whitfords is the worst spot on it) i blame ppl with white perms driving camrys or 4wd mums or just dumbarses. you have to be doing 100km/h at the merge point or it will frig it up for everyone..

If you ever spot a Silver aurion failing to merge on those slip ways it'll be my mother... And yes she does have a Perm :p

glider
7th July 2009, 01:10 AM
Every time I drive at speed limit, there is always an idiot that has to speed and overtake me to finally go in front and slow down to speed limit again..

Yes, all the time, shits me off to no end.

I must say Melbourne drivers are in general much better than Brisbane drivers(in the last 5 years). Especially in peak traffic.
Melbourne its a slow stop start. Brisbane they are full on acceleration then hard on brakes.

The thing that pisses me off the MOST is when driving the truck, you see the traffic stopped or moving slowler in front of you so you slow down so you dont have to come to a stop and idiots decide they want to merge in front of you, so they can get ahead of the 4 or 5 cars in front of them in their lane. usually means I end up having to stop anyway...

again while driving the truck, was driving onto motorway and the bitch in a crv behind me decided to cut across the striped white lines to get onto the motorway before me, cutting me and the car in front of me off, almost resulting in us both beind run off the road, and me coming very close to going into the back of a car with 4t of cardboard on the back of the truck. If horn worked in that truck I would have blasted the bitch.

Greg K
7th July 2009, 07:50 AM
all of the above happenned to me this morning in my 8km drive to work... the ones that piss me off the most:
- are the people who think that just because their indicator is on, they think the world stops just for them and they can move freely around the lanes.
- are the people who tailgate for no reason. I had a 4WD tailgate me for over 2km's when there was a perfectly clear lane next to me to drive in.
- are the people who close a 2.5 - 3 second gap between me and the car infront down to 0.5 seconds!

I think Sydney drivers are one of the worst around. After driving around in Newcastle all weekend, I enjoyed driving there moreso than Syd

daiflu
7th July 2009, 08:36 AM
ahh, nothing like a bit of road rage to start the day!

SA drivers get my vote for worst drivers in Australia (probably something to do with the large percentage of bogans), although I have never driven in WA.

KingOfAstras
7th July 2009, 08:52 AM
What about the Victorian drift... Where 1/4 of their car veers off into another lane then back into their own. It's that consistent!

xplosv57
7th July 2009, 09:20 AM
I think every state has their fair share of bad drivers......

hazrd
7th July 2009, 09:22 AM
i think every state has their fair share of bad drivers......

+1

btm
7th July 2009, 09:30 AM
+2

i'm sure all of us are guilty at some stage too!

GreyRex
7th July 2009, 09:40 AM
I think the main issue here is that no one would ever claim they do anything wrong

We're all perfect little angels :)

There's so much finger pointing, yet we all know it happens

I'm sick of basically every SS/XR8/XR6 Turbo, thinking they need to prove something by dragging me at the lights out near where I live... but who cares? They're the wankers who think they need to prove something... but how sad is that?

As Steve said, 'bad' drivers are everywhere

Vectracious
7th July 2009, 09:41 AM
What about the Victorian drift... Where 1/4 of their car veers off into another lane then back into their own. It's that consistent!

thats only our taxi drivers....

Wraith
7th July 2009, 10:11 AM
Every time I drive at speed limit, there is always an idiot that has to speed and overtake me to finally go in front and slow down to speed limit again..WTF:confused: REALLY pisses me off..its like people are bloody impatient or have to feel like they are better than you by being in front :mad:

Another example, Im keeping a safe distance behind the car in front and an idiot has to overtake and fit in the gap in front of me!! arrrgggg...

Do you experience the same thing?

I'd have to agree with most other peoples comments in that bad/wanker drivers exist everywhere !

Maybe some places are worse than others, but unfortunately they exist everywhere...

IMHO from what I've seen/experienced, there's always 2 major aspects or points to at least 90% of them; 1. they're the younger drivers amongst us, usually P platers (surprise, surprise why insurance etc. etc. is so much stricter on them) 2. tools with hi po or hotted up cars - again more so with the younger folk...

I'm absolutely sick of the P platers here in Melb. with their crap box old V8 Commodores or old turbo Skylines (which they're not even allowed to drive) acting like absolute tools endangering others as well as themselves and then there's the same behaviour from P platers in normal cars like Astras, Corollas etc. Gen Yers here flame me if you will, but that's the simple truth of the matter !

hazrd
7th July 2009, 10:20 AM
the guy that lived around the corner from my old place... drives a manual VX SS with a full 3" exhaust...

always drifting around the estate
doing insane speeds
skids all the time
revs his car in his garage (lived behind me)

and drove his taught liner (14 pallet truck) around the area at insane speeds too

....hes in his 40s

not sticking up for the gen Y'ers, nor burning the Baby Boomer/X's

just stating a point

yes the majority are younger drivers... but they are young and dumb and need to learn their own lessons the hard way

theres police to do the enforcing (when they arent hanging out at maccas like fat f$*#ks) and there really isnt much else that we.. the civillians.. can really do about it unfortunately :(

Wraith
7th July 2009, 10:31 AM
Agree ^^^^

There are some older and even old farts being tools on the roads - but the 'majority' and by a long shot are the younger folk, hopefully they do learn and 'grow up' before it's too late !

Only 2 weekends ago here in Vic. was the worst weekend of road accidents thus far - 6 people dead think it was, 2 more dying in hospital, ALL of them aged between 16-25, 6 of them under 21, speed/reckless driving was the cause, that says it all !

KingOfAstras
7th July 2009, 10:48 AM
I've noticed a lot more bike accidents in Sydney in the past 2 months. Not to mention general accidents. Not sure if it's the weather which is the contributing factor or just people becoming even more stupid with a warped logic thinking they own the road.

Ice
7th July 2009, 11:29 AM
Its no particular state, its just people who use their car to get from a to b and dont give 2 shits about how they do it and arent thinking when they drive about any concern for others. Its the same everywhere.....here Syd, Brisy, alot of people suck ass at driving and yes it appears they got their licence out of a cereal box. Jeesh I could make a list of things that piss me off. Atleast we here at Opelaus are all good drivers :cool:

Keep'emRunning
7th July 2009, 12:43 PM
+1 on the morons that use the safe braking distance as their own personal valet space.

I usually hang back not only for safety, but to avoid the annoying stone chips that are part & parcel of sydney roads... also craps me no end when trucks squeeze into the gap, 'cos then you need twice the distance to stop the meteor size rocks from hitting your car :)

jim7777777
7th July 2009, 05:36 PM
Indicators seem to be broken on LOTS of cars. I'm sure that it has gotten waaaay worse over the last 10 years or so.

sooty
7th July 2009, 06:09 PM
I'm absolutely sick of the P platers here in Melb. with their crap box old V8 Commodores or old turbo Skylines (which they're not even allowed to drive)

Not being pedantic, just clarifying, if they got their P's before July last year, they're on the old rules which means a car only can't be driven by a p-plater if it has more than 125kw/tonne AND 3.5L capacity/tonne;) So unless it's an LS2 or 3 which obviously the old crap boxes aren't, then they fall under the 3.5L/tonne, and thus can have as much power as they want.

Oh yeah, and SA drivers are the worst by far...they're NUTS...
Won the title of worst driving state for the 7th year in a row this year too:lol:
Interesting article on it here (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25281506-5018816,00.html)

imay
7th July 2009, 06:15 PM
Melbourne Drivers are shocking!

Yeah? Come to Adelaide for a real life-changing driving experience. Just don't:
Try merging into another lane - Get in behind me buddy!
Sticking to the speed limit - ANYWHERE!
Try reverse parking on a reasonably busy thoroughfare - No one will stop and let you reverse into the spot you took ages to find
Try driving around slowly looking for a particular address or show any signs of not really knowing where you should be going
Try pulling up at an intersection on an amber light with traffic behind you . . .
etc., etc., etc.

I haven't had a LOT of experience interstate (i.e. Sydney, Melbourne - trying Brisbane traffic soon) but SA drivers have a reputation of no patience, no kindness towards fellow motorists, and no tolerance.

sooty
7th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Melbourne Drivers are shocking!

Yeah? Come to Adelaide for a real life-changing driving experience. Just don't:
Try merging into another lane - Get in behind me buddy!
Sticking to the speed limit - ANYWHERE!
Try reverse parking on a reasonably busy thoroughfare - No one will stop and let you reverse into the spot you took ages to find
Try driving around slowly looking for a particular address or show any signs of not really knowing where you should be going
Try pulling up at an intersection on an amber light with traffic behind you . . .
etc., etc., etc.

I haven't had a LOT of experience interstate (i.e. Sydney, Melbourne - trying Brisbane traffic soon) but SA drivers have a reputation of no patience, no kindness towards fellow motorists, and no tolerance.
it's even worse when you don't have SA plates on the car:p

imay
7th July 2009, 06:25 PM
it's even worse when you don't have SA plates on the car:p

Yeah, sorry, left that one off the list.

Bloody Victorians clogging up our roads!

USC
7th July 2009, 10:14 PM
I had a moron in his BMW 135i tailgate me today - I was so annoyed that I slowed right down to about 20km/h. He started shaking his head and decided to overtake. funnily, he was blocked by a hyundai excel!! hahaha:D and I decided to drive right next to the excel until the next intersection...not very nice but he deserved it!

gmonkey
7th July 2009, 10:32 PM
willing to admit i did a bad driving thing today... kind of intentionally... i didnt allow a bus come out from the bus lane, purely cause it shits me off that they will come out on you when your next to them and then he blocked me from the turning lane so i cut him, got the horn and flash beams... i hate bus drivers why do they assume that cause they have a sign saying give way to me and i put my indicator on for one flash they can come out?? if i had that sign do i get that privledge to? :p

Wraith
8th July 2009, 11:20 AM
Not being pedantic, just clarifying, if they got their P's before July last year, they're on the old rules which means a car only can't be driven by a p-plater if it has more than 125kw/tonne AND 3.5L capacity/tonne;) So unless it's an LS2 or 3 which obviously the old crap boxes aren't, then they fall under the 3.5L/tonne, and thus can have as much power as they want.

Oh yeah, and SA drivers are the worst by far...they're NUTS...
Won the title of worst driving state for the 7th year in a row this year too:lol:
Interesting article on it here (http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25281506-5018816,00.html)

Thanks for the clarification Ain...

Venting my spleen sometimes gets the better of me :)

lithium
8th July 2009, 11:54 AM
willing to admit i did a bad driving thing today... kind of intentionally... i didnt allow a bus come out from the bus lane, purely cause it shits me off that they will come out on you when your next to them and then he blocked me from the turning lane so i cut him, got the horn and flash beams... i hate bus drivers why do they assume that cause they have a sign saying give way to me and i put my indicator on for one flash they can come out?? if i had that sign do i get that privledge to? :p

actually its an interesting fact that when a bus is pulling out from a bus stop with the right indicator on, they have right of way and normal motorists must give way
it doesn't sound like its what this bus was trying to do though :)

glider
8th July 2009, 04:07 PM
its actually law that you have to give way to them pretty sure...

gmonkey
8th July 2009, 06:15 PM
well i guess if i indicate for long enough and pull across cause some stupid 4wd drive is sitting there and wont move and i hit him itd acctually be his/HER fault cause ive indicated for long enough that she should have moved her crap box out of the way.. god i hate 4wd drivers...

lithium
8th July 2009, 09:35 PM
well i guess if i indicate for long enough and pull across cause some stupid 4wd drive is sitting there and wont move and i hit him itd acctually be his/HER fault cause ive indicated for long enough that she should have moved her crap box out of the way.. god i hate 4wd drivers...

it's not about how long you indicate. as a passenger car, you don't have any special road privileges. buses have right of way by law - ignore it if you like but if you don't give way and hit that bus trying to pull out, you are now legally responsible for damage to a $1mil+ vehicle! yes, a bus is worth more than a Ferrari, believe it or don't

J
9th July 2009, 12:23 AM
it's not about how long you indicate. as a passenger car, you don't have any special road privileges. buses have right of way by law - ignore it if you like but if you don't give way and hit that bus trying to pull out, you are now legally responsible for damage to a $1mil+ vehicle! yes, a bus is worth more than a Ferrari, believe it or don't

+1. See page 11 of the following document:
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_drivesafe3.pdf

I had a 4WD tailgate me for over 2km's when there was a perfectly clear lane next to me to drive in.

You didn't happen to be sitting on the right lane at the time, did you?

glider
9th July 2009, 12:36 AM

thats probably a stretch, closer to half a million

gets more expensive if any of the passengers get hurt tho

Greg K
9th July 2009, 07:19 AM
You didn't happen to be sitting on the right lane at the time, did you?

no i was in the slow lane too!!

lithium
9th July 2009, 09:15 AM
thats probably a stretch, closer to half a million

gets more expensive if any of the passengers get hurt tho

true, perhaps closer to a half-mil. enough to put an uninsured driver into debt for the next twenty years though!

lithium
9th July 2009, 10:25 AM
grr! i hate it when people tailgate me!! a p-plate tradie driving a SS ute with a huge spoiler started tail gating me today!

so i changed lanes and we both drove peacefully to work. the end. ;)

btw i have a serious question for the Melbourians...last time i was driving there i was on a road with four lanes, two each direction, and the centre two lanes being tram lines - i noticed almost every car was driving sprawled across both the tram line lane and the left lane! is this a rule for roads which have tram tracks in the centre?

sooty
9th July 2009, 11:32 AM
btw i have a serious question for the Melbourians...last time i was driving there i was on a road with four lanes, two each direction, and the centre two lanes being tram lines - i noticed almost every car was driving sprawled across both the tram line lane and the left lane! is this a rule for roads which have tram tracks in the centre?
Normally with tram line there'll be parked cars in the left lane, so it's not really practical to use.
When sitting in a lane with tram lines, by law you have to sit to the left of the lines, unless you're within 50m of turning right, in which case you sit to the right of the lines.
In most cases the tram lines are almost as wide as the lane, and due to there being no real traffic in the left lane most people will sit a bit further to the left of the tramlines and sorta sit in between the two lanes, although they should be mostly in the right lane.:)

AH08
9th July 2009, 11:35 AM
Had a tailgater (for about 8klm's) the other night when I was in the Triton, dabbed the brakes a couple of time and they took no notice so I jumped on the brakes......that got their attention. Smoke pouring off their tyres.......I pulled over to discuss the situation, but they speed off. The commadore would have looked good with a Hayman Reece towbar hood ornament.

Quite obvious that drivers have forgotten the 4 second rule.

lithium
9th July 2009, 11:49 AM
Normally with tram line there'll be parked cars in the left lane, so it's not really practical to use.
When sitting in a lane with tram lines, by law you have to sit to the left of the lines, unless you're within 50m of turning right, in which case you sit to the right of the lines.
In most cases the tram lines are almost as wide as the lane, and due to there being no real traffic in the left lane most people will sit a bit further to the left of the tramlines and sorta sit in between the two lanes, although they should be mostly in the right lane.:)

ah right, thanks!

nuggz
9th July 2009, 12:46 PM
Quite obvious that drivers have forgotten the 4 second rule.

4 second rule?
i always thought it was 2

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 01:07 PM

i hate it when you pull up to a t intersection which turns onto a busy road, and a 4wd pulls up beside you, but stops about 1m infront.
it stops you from being able to see a safe time to leave the intersection.
they are so much taller they could easily stop at a point that gives you clear view, and theyd still have clear view too.
and half the bastards dont even take them off the road. why the fk have a 4wd in the first place?

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 02:32 PM
either A ban 4wd drives from main roads enless you have a special country licence to prove that you need a 4wd.. or B bring back the gun licence so i can shoot the moron's tyres to bring them down to my height..

And if i was to drive a monster truck and park next to them at an intersection theyd know how it feels and whinge and whinge.. :p

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 02:50 PM
either A ban 4wd drives from main roads enless you have a special country licence to prove that you need a 4wd.. or B bring back the gun licence so i can shoot the moron's tyres to bring them down to my height..

And if i was to drive a monster truck and park next to them at an intersection theyd know how it feels and whinge and whinge.. :p
lol, or just one of them 4wd with those bigger tyres and bigger suspension setup.

GreyRex
9th July 2009, 03:02 PM
why the fk have a 4wd in the first place?

It's a feeling of 'security' and enhanced vision

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 03:05 PM
nothing a volvo with a parascope cant do.. :p

AH08
9th July 2009, 03:16 PM
I personal don't see why anyone in the city needs a 4x4, I live in the country and half the 4x4's here never go bush bashing either. Luckily I can say that cose mines a 4x2:D...not made for off-roading its a work vehicle.

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 03:39 PM
I personal don't see why anyone in the city needs a 4x4, I live in the country and half the 4x4's here never go bush bashing either. Luckily I can say that cose mines a 4x2:D...not made for off-roading its a work vehicle.
4x2 is still for off road, thats why you have the extra height, for clearance over rocks, logs etc. just doesnt have the traction that a 4x4 does. but 4x2 is mainly just a farming/ construction worksite vehicle, which in my opinion is off road.

lithium
9th July 2009, 03:41 PM
one reason people might have a 4x4 in the city is if they have a problem in their lower limbs, or they care for someone who does - a disability or more commonly arthritis

i used to bash 4x4s as well but i got over it. the same argument can be applied in reverse to performance enthusiasts - 'i don't see why anyone needs a car with X power/weight ratio in the city', 'everyone should provide proof they attend track days regularly before they are allowed to buy sports cars', 'i should be allowed to stuff a potato into sports exhausts to shut them up' etc etc :rolleyes:

J
9th July 2009, 04:02 PM
no i was in the slow lane too!!

Man that sucks!

My pet hates:
* People in an adjacent lane, who tries to close a safe gap and cut you off, AFTER you started indicating and merging (matching the speed of the car in front of them) when they were still well behind you, then blast their horn at you for them deliberately causing almost-accidents; **insert dumbass emoticon**
* As above, except around blind corners; :O
* People who have to steer left and step into your lane before turning right, and vice versa;
(the Scandinavian Flick might look good in rallying, but is totally needless and dangerous on public roads!)
* People who cannot keep up with you around corners, who end up blasting past you in the straights, only for you to catch up with them again at the next traffic light/set of corners;
* People who cannot corner without stepping into the inside lane/road shoulder next to them.

The list goes on, but I'm getting bored...

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 04:05 PM
one reason people might have a 4x4 in the city is if they have a problem in their lower limbs, or they care for someone who does - a disability or more commonly arthritis

if you had a disability or arthritis the last thing you want to do is climb up into a 4wd :p but yes you dont want something low you cant get out of either, but a normal sedan is more than fine for the arthritic permed people, e.g. the volvo or camry again :p

lithium
9th July 2009, 04:18 PM
if you had a disability or arthritis the last thing you want to do is climb up into a 4wd :p but yes you dont want something low you cant get out of either, but a normal sedan is more than fine for the arthritic permed people, e.g. the volvo or camry again :p

um, no, a sedan is really not fine, depending on the stage of knee/hip arthritis

anyway dude, i'm not saying its right to have heaps of 4x4s on the road - any more than its right or wrong to have cars like the R35 on a public road. just trying to put an alternate point of view out there :)

ROCCO
9th July 2009, 04:24 PM
, me scowling and my wife mouthing "stupid f*cking b*tch".... :cornut:

Haha yep..I don't get shitty anymore...wife does it all for me....gotta love that...worst is the P platers that sit in the right hand lane...doing 90 holding everyone up...then there trying work out why there is a car up there ass...then proceed to brake hard becuase someone is tailing...GET A HINT U WANKER...FFS
I had one guy last weekend on the Berwick bypass...was a P plater there was a truck in the right lane I was in the left...doing 100 (had cruise set) he proceeded to sit up my ass and flash his light...what like thats going to get me to speed up...tosser...just made me drive slower....like 70...after which he pulled out pulled in front and jumped on the ancors....funny thing was we both ended up at Fountain Gate in the car park...and I purposly parked in the same car park as him...so I could give him an ear full...I did he was very apologetic...don't think he will be doing that any more...especailly as he doesn't know what size guy drives a little black astra

mania
9th July 2009, 04:40 PM
P platers not being allowed to do the speed limits is one of the most nonsensical road rules I've ever heard of... pleased we don't have that here.

glider
9th July 2009, 05:01 PM
intersting that the debate on 4x4s came up. I have access to several vehicles that I have driven quite abit (Astra - very low, jackaroo- large 4x4 and several trucks). I've found that when in the Jackaroo, you have much better vision of the road ahead compared to the astra as you can see the road in front of you. You also actually have alot better field of vision looking to the sides and behind you compared to a smaller car, as you have alot bigger rear window and the driver side pillar does not obstruct your vision as badly (passenger side its still pretty bad tho). As for the taking 4x4s off city roads... having driven through the Brisbane CBD (Ann, Albert and Elizabeth Streets) in peak hour (~9am) in a 12t truck I can say that 4x4s are not the problem. The problem is driving training/awareness. Intead of banning the 4x4s from traveling these streets, they should perhaps introduce a category between the class C licence and the LR licence (4.5t+). Unfortunately based on how easy licences test seem to be, I dont think this would change anything. Perhaps requiring all 4x4 owners to fit blind spot mirrors would be a better use of money...

on a side regarding people with disabilty getting into a 4x4... whenever my mother need to pick up our grandparents, (Grandfather is 89 and uses a walking stick, Grandmother has to use a walker and has an electric wheel chair) she always takes the Jackaroo, as they find it alot easier to climb into than their other cars (Mazda 3 and a commodore)

Wraith
9th July 2009, 05:19 PM
P platers not being allowed to do the speed limits is one of the most nonsensical road rules I've ever heard of... pleased we don't have that here.

It's for their own benefit mania, just look at the overwhelming statistical evidence to see why, but you know what, nothing seems to work with alot of them as they act like total morons on the road anyway...

mania
9th July 2009, 05:28 PM
Was there a drop in deaths across all driver groups after the introduction of that law? (Assuming it wasn't bundled in with other measures). I say all age groups, because on a freeway travelling the speed limit you're rarely going to lose control and hit a tree or fence, injuring just yourself - far more likely you're going to hit someone else.

Reason I ask is I would have thought that the traffic flowing smoothly on a freeway would be more important to everyone's safety then a relatively inexperienced driver doing 100 vs 90. But of course that's just a gut feeling. Would be interested to see statistics.

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 05:32 PM
are you serious that is a law over there?? P platers have a different speed to the normal licence holders?? that sounds like a load crud and unfair to me, i understand less speed = safer, but it is a little unfair on p platers and does cause a lot of trouble for other drivers as my first arguement morons coming on slipways not at the given speed, which now would be p platers.. :p

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 05:35 PM
to me slow speeds on roads like freeways/highways can acctually be a cause of more accidents.. for example how often do you see people stuck behind someone doing less speeds and they get feed up instantly pull out into the overtaking lane annoyed without looking and cut someone or almost wipe them out..

Vectracious
9th July 2009, 05:53 PM
to me slow speeds on roads like freeways/highways can acctually be a cause of more accidents.. for example how often do you see people stuck behind someone doing less speeds and they get feed up instantly pull out into the overtaking lane annoyed without looking and cut someone or almost wipe them out..

so the person who is overtaking shouldn't get fed up and overtake without looking!!! thats in the law as well - overtake only when safe to do so.

And P-platers doing less speeds - thats been around in one form or another for decades - I remember my uncle saying that was on P-plates in the early 80's you could only do 80 on the freeway.

People also used to put up signs in the back of the car saying "sorry, running engine in" because they could only do 80km/h top speed and no one cared. Everyone had a lot more patience back then it seemed.

mania
9th July 2009, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's all the traffic calming measures and increased emphasis on speed monitoring that causes this... the council where I live uses traffic calming measures to close off all the local roads, raising blood temperatures by the time you finally make it on to the main roads. >.<

I really wish Australia would adopt the 85th percentile rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limit#85th_percentile_rule) for speed limits..

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 06:23 PM
pete, i was in melb for nearly a year, when i first moved there i was on my Ls and at that time even Ls could do road limit (110) same with Ps.

ive only known NSW to have the limits like that. but i think vic has it now too.

in nsw...
Ls 80km max.
red Ps 90km max
green Ps 100km max
full licence 110max (unless overtaking, for which most cops will allow 120 max)

i think on Ls its a great idea for a 80km limit, i remember one of my first drives i was on the highway and didnt feel safe at 100, so i sat on 80, but it was still freaky having cars flying past me. the worst part is having cars sit up your arse at night with their lights blaring at you through 3 mirrors while trying to concentrate on the road.

on Ps however, in general, you have enough experience to keep yourself in a straight line on the road and have learnt to deal with minor distractions.

the main reason there were so many deaths during a 2 or 3 year period a few years back, is because the gov anounced tougher laws were coming in, so everyone raced out to get their licence, which meant more inexperienced drivers on the road, and abracadabra...more p plate incidents.
so they toughened the laws further...

fast forward a few years, the inexperienced are now experienced, the then p platers are now full licenced, both leading to less p plate incidents.

and what do we have now? gov/cops/traffic authorities claiming their tough laws are working.

i havent been a p plater for about 3 years now, maybe 4, but i still feel for those poor p platers getting a bad rap because of a small percentage of their kind. its just not fair.

ive covered many 10s of thousands of kms in my life so far, and i would have to honestly say that i see more full licenced driver doing stupid things than Ls or Ps. probably a ratio of 3 to 1.

sooty
9th July 2009, 06:27 PM
Vic doesn't have speed restrictions on L's and P's i'm almost certain....will double check now, but there wasn't when i got mine...
EDIT: yeah, no restrictions...

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 06:32 PM
+1 with ASTRAY

i feel P platers get the crap end of the stick and a Bias look upon them, yes there are some bad ones amongst them but there are amongst all age levels ok so

17-19 p platers = inexperienced drivers
20-25 = off licence now cocky that they can drive with extra speed and not be targeted, ability to afford a performance car and insurance.
25-40 = By this age you ussually have a full time job, which most people will have a shit day at work and vent some rage on there way home, whether that be tailgating or speeding.
40-60 = ok lets admit it, your getting old.. your reaction time is getting worse, but you wont admit to that cause it'll be a younger generation who tells you that and they are always wrong.
60-100 = you dont have eyesight anymore, your shrinking so you need a booster seat, your feet cant really reach the pedals so your only pushing it in a couple of millimeters.

Every age demagraphic has its flaws :p ofcourse this is a very "assuming" theory at the best of times lol

mania
9th July 2009, 06:40 PM
i havent been a p plater for about 3 years now, maybe 4, but i still feel for those poor p platers getting a bad rap because of a small percentage of their kind. its just not fair.

Agree completely... the media is mostly to blame for the above :(. Last few years they've had a real anti-p plater thing going. I'm not sure why :S... probably because it ties in nicely with hoon law articles, which sell newspapers and always get heaps of reader responses on both sides..

gmonkey
9th July 2009, 06:42 PM
death and crime sells..

stories on good young drivers doesnt

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 06:43 PM
+1 with ASTRAY

i feel P platers get the crap end of the stick and a Bias look upon them, yes there are some bad ones amongst them but there are amongst all age levels ok so

17-19 p platers = inexperienced drivers
20-25 = off licence now cocky that they can drive with extra speed and not be targeted, ability to afford a performance car and insurance.
25-40 = By this age you ussually have a full time job, which most people will have a shit day at work and vent some rage on there way home, whether that be tailgating or speeding.
40-60 = ok lets admit it, your getting old.. your reaction time is getting worse, but you wont admit to that cause it'll be a younger generation who tells you that and they are always wrong.
60-100 = you dont have eyesight anymore, your shrinking so you need a booster seat, your feet cant really reach the pedals so your only pushing it in a couple of millimeters.

Every age demagraphic has its flaws :p ofcourse this is a very "assuming" theory at the best of times lol
haha, i love it!

and back on topic. i think vic drivers are more forceful when driving, but syd drivers are the worst of the bunch.

the best drivers ive experienced has been canberra.

AH08
9th July 2009, 09:33 PM
Victoria most certainly did have a speed limit of 80kph for P platers.

The thing I really, really, really hated when driving in Melbourne.....................was my wife trying to read the Melways.:mad:
Whats the go with women turning the freakin book around in all directions and then saying,,,hang on I'm trying to find where we are, oh OK found that street and you have to turn right HERE and I'm in the left lane. aaaaaaarrrhhhh

Thank god I've got a GPS now.

ASTRAY
9th July 2009, 11:20 PM

The thing I really, really, really hated when driving in Melbourne.....................was my wife trying to read the Melways.:mad:
Whats the go with women turning the freakin book around in all directions and then saying,,,hang on I'm trying to find where we are, oh OK found that street and you have to turn right HERE and I'm in the left lane. aaaaaaarrrhhhh

Thank god I've got a GPS now.
ok, well im lucky i never got done for doing 110. didnt even get done in nsw for doing 110 when i had vic plates on.

Vectracious
10th July 2009, 02:21 AM

Thanks AH08.

Jay/Ain/etc I didn't say that Vic had these laws recently - if you read my post I said in the 80's this was the case. They scrapped it after, and now have brought it back again.

Also, the assertion by some people that P-platers are "experienced" road users is laughable. P platers are NOT experienced in ANY way. It was too easy for me to get my licence. It was too easy for my little sister to get her licence 5 years later, and I reckon its still too easy to get a licence. Some questions, a crappy simulation and a nice little drive around the streets around your local VicRoads? Oh, I forgot the log book you can falsify for your 120 hours. :rolleyes: I've seen plenty of P-platers on the road who dont even look like they've 20 hours of real driving, let alone 120.

I still remember being on my P's - I also remember almost writing myself off at least twice in that time. I put it down to inexperience and too much self confidence in my ability. I haven't had something like that happen to me for years now - and as a lot of Vic members can verify - I don't drive like a Grandpa. Experience is the key.

And before everyone starts going on about how full licenced drivers do bad things and pulling stats out of their arse on who does what more etc - read my post again - I'm talking about experience - which you can only get from time behind the wheel. And experience leads to maturity (in most cases) on the road.

I now wait for the inevitable "I drove my paddock bomb around the farm since I was 6 months old" bullshit line. :cool::D

GreyRex
10th July 2009, 09:31 AM
I can see this topic going on and on and on and on... *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

The generalisations are flying lol :D

ROCCO
10th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Perfect one....last night about 10:30pm I put my bins out...then at 12:30am this morning...I'M PICKING UP MY GRASS CLIPPINGS AND GARBAGE BECAUSE SOME TARD LOST CONTROL OF THERE CAR AND RAN MY BINS OVER....seriously WTF...take out my two bins miss next doors and then hit the next then plow into a tree...lucky there were cops on scene other wise I would have gone to town on him...tell me P platers can drive a V8...what a crock of shit...all P platers...regardless of which state they live in should be kept to driving N/A 4 cylinders...period no excuses.
I don't know how many tards i've seen with P Plates in an 8...why because they want power...Power and no experience = bad for all involved....

Apex
10th July 2009, 01:17 PM
Believe you me Melbourne drivers are saints in comparison to two thirds the drivers on our roads, rented a car when we were over earlier in the year and found you guys drive really well, you don’t have the congestion we have here either. Heading south of Werribee past Geelong and towards the coast I found driving got a bit more cow boy.

Most courteous and law obeying place I have driven was in Brisbane, everyone drives slow, I was passing everyone at 110 in a Ford Fiesta.

Haven’t driven anywhere else in Australia to comment.

We are all saints in comparison to Thailand, anyone driven there??

ROCCO
10th July 2009, 01:39 PM
Portugal and Spain...the worst for driving I think...if you want to really hone your skills go drive over there for 3 months...you'll never complain about aussies driving again lol

ASTRAY
10th July 2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks AH08.

Jay/Ain/etc I didn't say that Vic had these laws recently - if you read my post I said in the 80's this was the case. They scrapped it after, and now have brought it back again.

Also, the assertion by some people that P-platers are "experienced" road users is laughable. P platers are NOT experienced in ANY way. It was too easy for me to get my licence. It was too easy for my little sister to get her licence 5 years later, and I reckon its still too easy to get a licence. Some questions, a crappy simulation and a nice little drive around the streets around your local VicRoads? Oh, I forgot the log book you can falsify for your 120 hours. :rolleyes: I've seen plenty of P-platers on the road who dont even look like they've 20 hours of real driving, let alone 120.

I still remember being on my P's - I also remember almost writing myself off at least twice in that time. I put it down to inexperience and too much self confidence in my ability. I haven't had something like that happen to me for years now - and as a lot of Vic members can verify - I don't drive like a Grandpa. Experience is the key.

And before everyone starts going on about how full licenced drivers do bad things and pulling stats out of their arse on who does what more etc - read my post again - I'm talking about experience - which you can only get from time behind the wheel. And experience leads to maturity (in most cases) on the road.

I now wait for the inevitable "I drove my paddock bomb around the farm since I was 6 months old" bullshit line. :cool::D

@ 80s, no problems mate, i wasnt suggesting you were wrong, i was just thinking i was told the wrong thing and i was lucky i didnt get caught.

i wasnt saying p platers are fully fledged drivers, i was just saying theyd have more experience than an L plater, and more competent.

when you think of the possible bad situations a slightly experienced driver can get themselves into, yes P plates are too easy to get, to the point of scary.
the simulation thing is BS if you ask me, if ALL drivers were to sit that test i bet even some of the most experienced drivers would fail it.

i was lucky when i had my Ls i had a decent paying job and would have instructor lessons 4 or 5 times a week, most were 1hr lessons, but alot of them were 2hr lessons. i wanted to make sure id pass. about half my hours were done with an instructor. but that simulation test was pathetic, i had one question where i was in a car travelling 60km, on a slightly declining road, i had to push the button when i thought the brakes should start being applied.
how the hell are you supposed to know when you cant feel the touchiness of the pedal, cant control how hard/soft the pedal is pushed, etc etc, so i pushed the button a little early, and failed that question.

when i got my ps it wasnt 120hrs, it was 50hrs. id drive to my mates every weekend and if the trip was 55mins, id just class it as an hour.

i didnt have a bush basher, or a paddock of my own, but does a bmx and the local bush count? :p

gmonkey
10th July 2009, 04:39 PM
My mums friend got car written off last night by a p plater in a commodore uninsured he was and left to go back to nz today! We should be like the states where its illegal to drive uninsured.

I think they need a law to go with only driving 4/na cars is that the car has to be ur birth year or older... Or everyone has to do an iq test and due to your score your allowed so much power. P platers also should have only fwd cars

chrissn89
10th July 2009, 04:53 PM
My mums friend got car written off last night by a p plater in a commodore uninsured he was and left to go back to nz today! We should be like the states where its illegal to drive uninsured.

I think they need a law to go with only driving 4/na cars is that the car has to be ur birth year or older... Or everyone has to do an iq test and due to your score your allowed so much power. P platers also should have only fwd cars
Yer this many be true, but it wouldnt matter what car they're driving. Because we all know its not the car its the driver.

mania
10th July 2009, 04:55 PM
I think P platers should be restricted via kW/tonne. Only measurement that makes sense really. Increase the limit if their car has ESP turned on... really, 9/10 (invented statistic) of P plater hoon accidents would be avoided with ESP... Sooner it filters down to affordable second hand cars, the better.

I do think they should be able to drive any car that isn't theirs if they're with the owner though. Reason? To avoid drink driving driving on more then one occasion I've been driven home by a sober p plater. If they weren't to allowed to do this, I'd prefer to drink drive (if borderline on the limit, not legless) rather then risk my car getting confiscated.

Woah... just remembered what the topic is. Yes, melbourne drivers are shocking. -wipes brow, quick save-

ASTRAY
10th July 2009, 05:37 PM
all good to say 4 cyl only etc, but even my 1.8 can reach 200+, as would alot of 4cyls.

the problem isnt just how quickly a car can reach X speed. you can kill just doing 40.
i think the reason for banning v8s and turbos is because when a youngster gets behind the wheel of one, they feel they need to show that extra power off.
thing is, if someone wants to act stupid, they will do it regardless of whether they have a v8, turbo,supercharger, and even a 3 cyl mighty boy.

ROCCO
10th July 2009, 06:38 PM
Farkem....give em pushys...

Wraith
12th July 2009, 09:53 PM

This is another very disturbing point with P platers - the fact that alot of them out there are driving un-insured cars, obviously because they can't afford it, or simply don't want to pay or bother with it, or are driving/own a car that is un-insurable because of their age or P plater stutus...

Even more hassles to put up with besides the fact that they cause more accidents than any other category on the roads, there's also this...:rolleyes:

ASTRAY
12th July 2009, 09:58 PM
This is another very disturbing point with P platers - the fact that alot of them out there are driving un-insured cars, obviously because they can't afford it, or simply don't want to pay or bother with it, or are driving/own a car that is un-insurable because of their age or P plater stutus...

Even more hassles to put up with besides the fact that they cause more accidents than any other category on the roads, there's also this...:rolleyes:
excellent point wraith.
to be honest the only reason i started paying for insurance is because my finance co wouldnt let the car out of the holden yard without it being insured.
but after almost 5 years of being insured, i dont think ill ever go uninsured again.

Wraith
12th July 2009, 10:04 PM
excellent point wraith.
to be honest the only reason i started paying for insurance is because my finance co wouldnt let the car out of the holden yard without it being insured.
but after almost 5 years of being insured, i dont think ill ever go uninsured again.

Your doing the right thing...

Going un-insured really isn't a smart thing to do !

If not for anything else, people should at least get 'straight' 3rd party (which is always alot cheaper than full comprehensive as well) to cover damage to other peoples property which could save them from massive debt, total grief or worse if an accident should occur...

ASTRAY
12th July 2009, 10:16 PM
Your doing the right thing...

Going un-insured really isn't a smart thing to do !

If not for anything else, people should at least get 'straight' 3rd party (which is always alot cheaper than full comprehensive as well) to cover damage to other peoples property which could save them from massive debt, total grief or worse if an accident should occur...

yeah well 3 years ago when our 4yo (now 7) thought itd be fun to release the handbrake while we were out of the car for 30seconds, it rolled backwards into a tree, 5k damage later :mad: :mad: :mad: covered by insurance, but they still classed it as me at fault.
no one was hurt, but if she was my daughter instead of stepdaughter, she would have had a sore ass for weeks.

USC
12th July 2009, 11:18 PM
Just read on the Age that they are planning on putting a lot of cameras across victoria!