PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: CHECK YOUR PRESSURES

Jerram
6th July 2009, 10:21 PM
Coz hey it's a good thing to do - and, if by chance you find out that one of your fronts is down by 15psi, re-inflation and the resultant improvements in grip and performance just might make your day.

Neeko
7th July 2009, 12:33 AM
Coz hey it's a good thing to do - and, if by chance you find out that one of your fronts is down by 15psi, re-inflation and the resultant improvements in grip and performance just might make your day.

:lol:
do it every week :)

delemonte
7th July 2009, 12:51 AM

+1, depending on when I fill up... usually every 1-2 weeks

btm
7th July 2009, 09:28 AM
check mine every time i put fuel in... which is every 3 months

Wraith
7th July 2009, 10:16 AM
Good point and good advice ;)

Dosn't need to be done that often, unless there's a problem somewhere, but good to do as a periodic check at the same time as other simple quick checks like fluid levels and seeing everything else under the bonnet and around the car is screwed down/in properly not loose etc. :)

EL BURITO
7th July 2009, 02:34 PM
if you have been driving on a low inflated tyre for a extra long period of time don't expect it to last long once pumped up to normal pressure again

HoldenAstra
7th July 2009, 03:14 PM
every two weeks @Coles Express Strathfield

xplosv57
7th July 2009, 03:16 PM

And has it ever changed on a week to week basis??

tomtom
7th July 2009, 04:27 PM
+1, depending on when I fill up... usually every 1-2 weeks

Me also. Will be pumping them up tongiht... i can feel that they're rather low atm. No doubt the track runs and the 500 odd km's last week deflated them.

Normally they drop 1 or 2 or 0 psi when i check once a week.

I set mine to 36 all around.

Jeenous
7th July 2009, 04:28 PM
yepo check mine weekly because i running 35's and if they get down they chop the side out or go bang if u hit a hole in rd..... already been burnt on this one..

Wraith
7th July 2009, 04:47 PM

If so, there's a problem...

However as mentioned above by Jeenous if your running a low or very low profile and driving it daily, it's a good idea to check more often than not, although weekly checks is overkill, more like fortnighly and if it's consistant then monthly will suffice :)

I check my verts tyre pressures roughly once or twice a month because they are a very slim 30 series profile and because the car sits on the spot for up to a month at a time they sometimes loose pressure, I do move the car up and down weekly to rotate the wheels but sometimes forget...

Neeko
7th July 2009, 06:35 PM

depending on how i drive yes :o

immenotu
8th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Ive got nitrogen filled 40 series and they quite frequently go for 3 months or more without the pressures changing.

lithium
8th July 2009, 10:42 AM
strangely yes my tyre pressures change one or two PSI every week...i think it has something to do with the temperature at the time i'm checking them, also its driven every day

another note on checking pressures remember that it should be done with the tyres cold...if they are hot you should add a bit more, something like 3/4psi works well for me

Wraith
8th July 2009, 10:47 AM
strangely yes my tyre pressures change one or two PSI every week...i think it has something to do with the temperature at the time i'm checking them, also its driven every day

another note on checking pressures remember that it should be done with the tyres cold...if they are hot you should add a bit more, something like 3/4psi works well for me

Definitely the case and another good point...

Tyre pressures will vary by a small amount depending on the weather, in very hot summer time they'll be a little higher and a little lower during the winter :)

xplosv57
8th July 2009, 05:20 PM
Hmm i find it strange that there's a difference weekly, yes i know the temperature aspect, but as an example from a while back i pumped my tyres up, drove 3 hours to a track day, raced the whole day, drove home, then drove for 2 weeks daily (approx 1000km) and rechecked the tyres with i think max 1 psi difference on 2 out of 4 tyres.......

I check mine once a month, if that and rarely have they changed pressure.

On the topic, i notice when cars come through work that alot of the time, the spare tyre is low or flat so something also not to forget cos you never know when you'll need to use it!!

Wraith
8th July 2009, 06:44 PM
On the topic, i notice when cars come through work that alot of the time, the spare tyre is low or flat so something also not to forget cos you never know when you'll need to use it!!

Ah, yet another very very good point !!! :clap:

Everybody check their spare wheel tyre pressure...they do run flat after several years sitting there away from sight LOL :)

xplosv57
8th July 2009, 06:48 PM
Also set them higher than usual (i do 40psi) so theres more chance you'll have an inflated tyre if you don't check the spare for a long time, i check the spare at every service!!

Vectracious
8th July 2009, 07:33 PM
I now have a tyre pressure monitoring system so :p

btm
9th July 2009, 08:54 AM
the spare tyre is low or flat so something also not to forget cos you never know when you'll need to use it!!
so much extra effort though... :p

rjastra
9th July 2009, 10:14 AM
I now have a tyre pressure monitoring system so :p

Is it one that actually tells you the current pressure OR is it like the Polo/Golf one that tells you if one tyre (or more) has loss pressure by measuring a change in rotational diameter?

If the latter then its only good for quick deflations (like a nail or gash in the tyre).

Wraith
9th July 2009, 10:23 AM
Is it one that actually tells you the current pressure OR is it like the Polo/Golf one that tells you if one tyre (or more) has loss pressure by measuring a change in rotational diameter?

If the latter then its only good for quick deflations (like a nail or gash in the tyre).

Most if not all factory TPM units are the later type...

btm
9th July 2009, 10:44 AM
still a neat feature though

rjastra
9th July 2009, 11:20 AM
still a neat feature though

in fact if i am not mistaken its a legal requirement on new cars sold in the USA. So expect to see it more often on new cars sold here.

Vectracious
9th July 2009, 01:06 PM

Its the latter one but in the manual (or I at least read it somewhere) that it can detect a loss of presure in the spare tyre as well.....

btm
9th July 2009, 02:49 PM
how does it do that?

Vectracious
9th July 2009, 05:35 PM
how does it do that?

apparantly the sensors in the wheels are wireless - spare wheel has one as well so it picks up on that if it looses enough pressure.

btm
10th July 2009, 10:59 AM
that's neat!

xplosv57
10th July 2009, 11:58 AM
from memory there are sensors in each tyre valve, which as stated before, will be standard in all cars in the US.