PDA

View Full Version : EasterNats Gone!!

KID_SRi
1st July 2009, 05:13 PM
http://springvale-dandenong-leader.w...est-scrapped1/

Easternats drag fest scrapped
Local News 29 Jun 09 @ 07:57am by Rebecca David

The Burnout challenge at last year's Easternats. Photo: Jason Edwards
THE Easternats drag racing festival has been axed following years of bickering between residents, organisers and the council.

The Melbourne Racing Club would not say why it had scrapped the event, but it is understood a breakdown in communication between the club and promoter Rapid Australia led to the decision.

News of the demise of the controversial four-day event at Sandown raceway has thrilled some residents, while others are in mourning.

The event has attracted more than 25,000 visitors to the area each year since 1997.

Easternats promoter Jon Davison would not comment on the issue.

John De Blauw, of Noble Park, said residents would finally have a peaceful Easter.

“It’s like trying to go to sleep in a room full of mosquitoes,” Mr De Blauw said of race days.

Springvale’s Betty Armstrong said the event, which included controlled drag racing and burnouts, caused unnecessary carbon emissions and was unlikely to reduce hooning on the streets.

But Sandown Park Hotel Motel assistant manager Renee Davis said the weekend was booked out every year by interstate visitors.

“There would definitely be a massive effect on revenue without the event because we not only had people staying at the hotel, but coming in for meals and drinks,” Ms Davis said.

Springvale Acting Sen-Sgt Phil Atkins said safety concerns for drivers and spectators led police to support the MRC’s choice.

MRC’s Sandown manager Wade Calderwood would not elaborate but said the decision had not been made lightly.

Other motorsports, driver training and car club events will continue at Sandown.

In April Easternats organisers were slapped with more than $6000 in council fines for permit breaches.

Greater Dandenong Council’s development services director Mal Baker said some fines had been paid and both the MRC and Mr Davison would likely seek a review of unpaid fines.

He said the council had not been involved in the MRC’s decision.

hazrd
1st July 2009, 05:29 PM
arseholes (and some other not so nice words that deem too nasty for the public eye)

there goes my easternats plans for next year :rolleyes:

daiflu
1st July 2009, 05:35 PM
That sucks. This was our Easter family event.

Vectracious
1st July 2009, 06:19 PM
Gives me thes sh*ts when these residents complain about easternats. You bought in the area where there is a motor racing circuit. Deal with it........ Morons.

glider
1st July 2009, 06:29 PM
Springvale’s Betty Armstrong said the event, which included controlled drag racing and burnouts, caused unnecessary carbon emissions

what a stupid excuse, if you try hard enough you can say the same thing about animal racing, as the animals have to breathe harder when running

daiflu
1st July 2009, 06:33 PM
and was unlikely to reduce hooning on the streets.

Yep, this woman has obviously done her research :rolleyes:

auzvectra
1st July 2009, 06:35 PM
Springvale’s Betty Armstrong said the event, which included controlled drag racing and burnouts, caused unnecessary carbon emissions

what a stupid excuse, if you try hard enough you can say the same thing about animal racing, as the animals have to consume more oxygen when travelling at such speeds

hahaha pmsl, tru but ;).

yeah, same shit as darlington park raceway up here, was a good track. got shut down cause some idiot made a housing estate around it, and then they complained!!!

all the stress of it, actually led to the death of the owner of the track via a heart attack, then the son sold it off to developers near enough while his fathers body was still warm, so much for his dying wish. he fought it till the end.

Nurb608
1st July 2009, 06:44 PM
Same thing happened to the Dome at Calder, used to love those Sunday nights.

MatsHolden
1st July 2009, 06:45 PM
John De Blauw, of Noble Park, said residents would finally have a peaceful Easter.
“It’s like trying to go to sleep in a room full of mosquitoes,” Mr De Blauw said of race days.

Why the **** are you trying to sleep during the day!?

Springvale’s Betty Armstrong said the event, which included controlled drag racing and burnouts, caused unnecessary carbon emissions and was unlikely to reduce hooning on the streets.

Ok, drags outside Betty's house seems like a better idea...

Other motorsports, driver training and car club events will continue at Sandown.

Thank god.

Vectracious
1st July 2009, 07:11 PM
Ok, drags outside Betty's house seems like a better idea...

I wonder if Betty and her husband (hopefully named Ian) live here...

Nurb608
1st July 2009, 07:23 PM
I wonder if Betty and her husband (hopefully named Ian) live here...
lol :devil:

daiflu
1st July 2009, 07:26 PM
OOoo, that's nasty!

hazrd
1st July 2009, 07:35 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaahhaa
pete u naughty boy :p

Vectracious
1st July 2009, 07:54 PM
Last minute vic cruise to Kemp st Springvale.... :angel:

bender
1st July 2009, 08:08 PM
give me a couple days and ill be there to join :D

auzvectra
1st July 2009, 08:24 PM
looks like a nice strait rd too :D.

xplosv57
1st July 2009, 09:44 PM
Found out about this a few days ago, it's very very disappointing, for many years the event went on, brought heaps of cash into my local area and best thing of all, kept all this kinda thing off the streets!!!

One thing i find odd though is why they don't whinge about the V8 supercars, a heck of alot louder than the Nats especially whwen they can't sleep during the day!! (LOL Mat, good call)

Probably one of my biggest regrets is never entering, me is hoping the event is not gone altogether, hopefully it can be moved to another track, where?? Who knows.

Nurb608
1st July 2009, 09:57 PM
Probably one of my biggest regrets is never entering, me is hoping the event is not gone altogether, hopefully it can be moved to another track, where?? Who knows.

Move it to Calder :D

They usually do something over easter there anyway, just on a much smaller scale.

xplosv57
1st July 2009, 09:59 PM
Move it to Calder :D

They usually do something over easter there anyway, just on a much smaller scale.

Well has Calder even opened up again yet?? That would be the most logical place, but with all the ownership and track issues, not sure it could happen!!

Nurb608
1st July 2009, 10:02 PM
Well has Calder even opened up again yet?? That would be the most logical place, but with all the ownership and track issues, not sure it could happen!!

Not really doing much there at the moment, just testing and still doing the rides but thats about it, will have to investigate :D

xplosv57
1st July 2009, 10:06 PM
Other than Calder, not much around other than driving a few hours out of the city area!!!

Feel bad for sandown director Jon Davison, the amount of blood, sweat and tears he put in to keeping the Easternats going, he'd be devastated!!

John_LS1
1st July 2009, 10:11 PM
Heard about this the other day too, all we got left is springnats (which i dont like)
Its a sad time for Victorian car enthusiasts, first Calder now this :( lets just hope they dont close Heathcote :eek:

ROCCO
2nd July 2009, 12:17 PM
yup...if we do a last min cruise to springvale...I'll bring the XR8...noise and smoke...they want it they got it...just finsihed working on it for next years easter nats too

PaulyJ
2nd July 2009, 02:15 PM
This is f**ked
My mate lives just near there, and his street had no problem. But they knew they were buying a house next to a friggen race track, so its fine.