PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade Offer

poita
29th June 2009, 09:31 AM
For all you haters of Windows Vista (boooooo to you :p) Microsoft has launched it's new Upgrade Offer.

Purchase a new laptop, desktop or copy of windows vista between June 26th and January 31st 2010 and you can upgrade to teh equivalent version of Windows 7 for $29.95.

Great news for the XP fan boys, fantastic news for Vista lovers.
This is what will bring MS back into the game IMO

www.windows.com/upgradeoffer

PaulyJ
29th June 2009, 10:33 AM
How much better is it than Vista Ultimate?

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 10:38 AM
Wish it was only that much for us people already with vista! I havent used vista since the first release of 7.

poita
29th June 2009, 10:47 AM
How much better is it than Vista Ultimate?

there is W7 Ultimate also, im running it on my laptop and desktop.
much better than Vista, so much faster

Wish it was only that much for us people already with vista! I havent used vista since the first release of 7.

yer i know, i am the same.
load it straight onto everything lol

oneightoo
29th June 2009, 10:52 AM
my missus has vista on her laptop, and we hate it..

am interested in upgrading to windows 7..

is it as easy as, download it, install it, away you go? or will it delete the contents of the lappy and start again?

i ask this because the laptop has a lot of crap on it, crap that i really dont want to spend time with re-installing..

please give me good news, please give me good news, please give me good news...

poita
29th June 2009, 10:57 AM
my missus has vista on her laptop, and we hate it..

am interested in upgrading to windows 7..

is it as easy as, download it, install it, away you go? or will it delete the contents of the lappy and start again?

i ask this because the laptop has a lot of crap on it, crap that i really dont want to spend time with re-installing..

please give me good news, please give me good news, please give me good news...

when you do the upgrade they send you out a disc with installation instructions.
and depending on the version you have you can jsut do an upgrade, which is what i have done to both my desktop and laptop

Kudrow
29th June 2009, 11:02 AM
Windows 7 is far, far better than Vista ever was - regardless of how much you "tune" Vista. Does not use as much memory, better on system resources and is in general much, much faster.

I've been using Windows 7 since the first Beta.

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 11:17 AM
Windows 7 is far, far better than Vista ever was - regardless of how much you "tune" Vista. Does not use as much memory, better on system resources and is in general much, much faster.

I've been using Windows 7 since the first Beta.

And vista sux for wireless, 3 different cards and still got drop outs no matter what settings i ran.

hazrd
29th June 2009, 11:56 AM
what would be cheaper though... buying vista then spending an extra 30 bucks on 7, or just buying 7 straight up?? (bearing in mind i have absolutely no idea what 7 will sell for)

EL BURITO
29th June 2009, 12:07 PM
what would be cheaper though... buying vista then spending an extra 30 bucks on 7, or just buying 7 straight up?? (bearing in mind i have absolutely no idea what 7 will sell for)
prices are out there brother works for Dell and its F#ckin expensive, saying that he is getting it Free from work

ROCCO
29th June 2009, 12:33 PM
problem is if you have Vista already...you don't qualify for the upgrade offer. The only way to qualify is to buy a new copy of Vista then you can do the upgrade. What a crock.
W7 is great but Punkbuster doesn't yet work on it so will have to wait till it goes RTM. Once this happens and manufactureers start supporting it I will move the rest of my machines over to it.

Currently I have my HTPC on W7 but thats it. Wifes notebook has been downgraded to XP pro same as my Desktop. Wifes notebook originally came with Vista but it ran like a dog.

My machine has 8gb of ram Q6850 CPU and vista still runs like a dog.

poita
29th June 2009, 03:33 PM
problem is if you have Vista already...you don't qualify for the upgrade offer. The only way to qualify is to buy a new copy of Vista then you can do the upgrade. What a crock.

this upgrade is targeted at people who hate vista.
it has also been put into place so that the turnover over desktops/laptop pre new OS release does not slow, as it does with every release.

without lookin at your machine i'd say there is something wrong with it, none of my machines are thaty high spec and i run vista on em.

the slowest being a 1.8 dual core, 2gb ram

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 07:18 PM
I used windows 7 for a since the last thread, but now I have gone back to Vista. Yes windows 7 was faster but I had too many software issues and I have found Vista much more stable and reliable. My machine is really quick anyway :P

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:19 PM
I used windows 7 for a since the last thread, but now I have gone back to Vista. Yes windows 7 was faster but I had too many software issues and I have found Vista much more stable and reliable. My machine is really quick anyway :P

Just download VM xp ;)

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 07:23 PM
Just download VM xp ;)

Not really a practical solution :p

poita
29th June 2009, 07:25 PM
the only software i had troubles with is Norton 2009 and daemon tools

poweriso and NOD32 fixed that

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:34 PM
Not really a practical solution :p

fixed any issues i had with software not workin, would never go back to vista

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 07:35 PM
I had quite a few issues with it but the one thing that tipped me over the edge was not being able to use certain "dwnloading" programs properly

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:35 PM
the only software i had troubles with is Norton 2009 and daemon tools

poweriso and NOD32 fixed that

Why are you running Nortons? Never had anything but problems with that

MAD-16V
29th June 2009, 07:40 PM
So much vista hate , My machine is blistering fast on vista 64.
Until I see some real world benchmarks where as windows 7 is substantially faster for graphics intensive applications , Vista is staying put.

More problems with low spec machines running vista I would suspect.

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:40 PM
I had quite a few issues with it but the one thing that tipped me over the edge was not being able to use certain "dwnloading" programs properly

Haven't had any problems like that, well not with the RC version anyway

poita
29th June 2009, 07:43 PM

mine work fine ;)

Why are you running Nortons? Never had anything but problems with that

i get it for free, plus the new 2009 internet security is suprisingly bloody awesome

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:46 PM
i get it for free, plus the new 2009 internet security is suprisingly bloody awesome

Really? I've used avast for years now, since xp

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 07:48 PM
Haven't had any problems like that, well not with the RC version anyway

mine work fine ;)

I'm not flaming w7. Just it's not for me. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who has never had a problem with Vista. Once I disabled UAC it has been lightning fast and very stable.

Easy on the eyes too :p

poita
29th June 2009, 07:55 PM
oh dont get me wrong Nathaniel, I love Vista.

If W7 wasnt around i would still be using it.

W7 is Vista, just better, much better

Nurb608
29th June 2009, 07:57 PM

Salesman :p

poita
29th June 2009, 07:59 PM
:l33t:

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 08:10 PM

Minus my much loved sidebar and gadgets :P

poita
29th June 2009, 08:11 PM
sidebar and gadgets are still here ;)

HappySlapper82
29th June 2009, 08:12 PM

Really? When I downloaded that beta I had to install it from the net

Vectracious
29th June 2009, 08:17 PM

don't like the taskbar like that - looks too fruity. ;)

poita
29th June 2009, 08:19 PM
they are the programs i use most of the time

u 'pim\n' the icon to the taskbar, i like it

chrissn89
29th June 2009, 10:32 PM

Really my home PC is just a basic 3Ghz P4 HT, 2GB RAM and a basic 512mb 9400GT video card. Vista Home Premium runs perfectly on it, i only use the computer for internet, MSN, watching DVD's, music and Photochopping.

hally83
30th June 2009, 12:04 AM
And vista sux for wireless, 3 different cards and still got drop outs no matter what settings i ran.

Hmm u sure its just not ur machine..? Ive been running my laptop (with vista sp2) on wireless for quite awhile now and no dropouts on wireless.

Dammit i just bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago!

Nurb608
30th June 2009, 07:42 AM
Hmm u sure its just not ur machine..? Ive been running my laptop (with vista sp2) on wireless for quite awhile now and no dropouts on wireless.

Dammit i just bought a new laptop 2 weeks ago!

Nah, it's not my machine, it's spec'd quite well. Laptops for some reason do not suffer the vista drop out for some reason but if you do a search on it for desktops you will see it's quite an issue but microsoft can't/won't rectify the issue, they just wait until W7 come out.

ROCCO
1st July 2009, 12:53 PM
worked out my problem...I had flakey raptor drive....swapped it over and going to give it another run tonight...i'm running raid 0 so a full reinstall and format. I'm lucky i backed my stuff up haha.
Also have my new DFI board...(if you havn't guessed it I have a high end games machine)....so Vista X64 ultimate will be going back on it. Still I wasn't that impressed with Vista it looks great but it just doesn't feel as snappy as XP.
On a side note...I have the Canon CD Laberprint program that for the life of me can't get to run in Vista...any one else have the same problem?