PDA

View Full Version : Lexus Supercar V10 410kw

poita
29th June 2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=63750&s_cid=xpromo:1

Lexus will reveal a production version of its V10-powered LF-A supercar at this year’s Tokyo motor show. By RICHARD BLACKBURN.

Lexus will reveal a production-ready V10 supercar at the Tokyo motor show in October, ahead of a special build of 500 cars over the next couple of years.

Company insiders have confirmed the Ferrari rival will be priced anywhere between $250,000 and $500,000, depending on specification. About 150 of the cars will be built in right-hand-drive and Australia is expected to get a limited run of about 10 vehicles, possibly over a two-year period.

Lexus has teased the public with concept versions of the supercar, dubbed the LF-A, since the 2005 Tokyo motor show, hinting at a production car but never delivering.

Race-spec versions of the car have competed at the last two Nurburgring 24-hour races in Germany.

Last month, Toyota’s president-elect Akio Toyoda - grandson of the company’s founder – drove the car to 87th place in the big race.

The LF-A is part of a broader Toyota plan to inject more passion into the company’s line-up, which has been criticised for being bland since the demise of the Toyota Supra, MR2 and Celica sports cars.

It is believed that racing enthusiast Toyoda, who takes over the reins of the company later this month, has given the green light to the LF-A and a rear-wheel drive Toyota sports coupe developed in conjunction with Subaru.

That car is also expected to make its public debut at the Tokyo motor show, before going on sale in Japan towards the end of next year.

Websites around the globe have been speculating on the final specifications of the Lexus supercar, based on spy shots and leaks from Tokyo.

UK website Auto Express claims the LF-A’s V10 will boast a 410kW 4.8-litre V10 engine, a six-speed twin-clutch transmission and a top speed of just over 350km/h, putting it on par with the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 and the Ferrari Enzo. Other reports have put the power output at a more modest 370kW.

The car was originally designed as a V10 to tie in with the Toyota Formula One team, which was running a V10 engine at the time. There was even speculation that the Toyota team would be renamed Lexus. But it is believed the project was delayed when F1 teams switched to V8 power and Toyota mulled over whether to continue with the existing power plant.

US website Inside Line quotes a Japanese insider as saying the new supercar will feature 6-piston brake calipers with carbon ceramic brake rotors and titanium mufflers.

A hybrid-powered V8 may follow once the LF-A is launched.

http://images.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/2009/05/19/01Lexus-LF-A_L-_m.jpg

xplosv57
29th June 2009, 10:14 AM
Although it vaguely resembles the GT-R, this one has proper supercar lines and i reckon it looks HOT!!!

Glad it's got a six speed trans too, Lex seems to be going overboard witheir 7 and 8 speed tranny's in their latest cars, overkill!!!

Wraith
29th June 2009, 01:39 PM
I liked the original concept and by the looks of that above I like it too :)

Steve, no need for more than 6 cogs with that amount power and torque and you'll find that alot of the extra cogs we're seeing these days is just manufacturers 'trying to keep up with the jones' more than actually being required or for some other practicle reasons :rolleyes:

btm
29th June 2009, 04:27 PM
i likey!

Hoss
29th June 2009, 04:46 PM
I like it and want one!

Brazza
29th June 2009, 05:01 PM
I reckon it is hot except for the headlights.

poita
29th June 2009, 05:31 PM
remember the car is covered up
it has a wrap over it to hide the finer details, so wait until final pics are released

9090GO
29th June 2009, 07:26 PM
Lexus = expensive Toyota IMO, but they do make good cars. At the end of the day, you paying the same price of a European car but you get a luxury Toyota, I know which one I would go for... :)

Wraith
30th June 2009, 11:58 AM
I like it and want one!

Me too !!!!!

With only a handful destined to come to Aust. exclusivity is guaranteed :)

Wraith
30th June 2009, 11:59 AM
I reckon it is hot except for the headlights.

As Pete said, it's all covered up so you can't tell the exact shape/styling anyway :)

You might love the look when revealed ;)

DEE-80Y
30th June 2009, 03:08 PM
Lexus = expensive Toyota IMO, but they do make good cars. At the end of the day, you paying the same price of a European car but you get a luxury Toyota, I know which one I would go for... :)

True, but then a HSV is just a Holden at the end of the day.
I would go for what ever was the best priced for what I wanted or if money was no object then I probably would get one of these Toyota's considering how exclusive this is and the build quality of Toyota's (Lexus).
Just my 2c, but the build quality and reliability of Toyota's is what made me buy one over a Ford or Holden for example.

Brazza
30th June 2009, 05:09 PM
As Pete said, it's all covered up so you can't tell the exact shape/styling anyway :)

You might love the look when revealed ;)

yeah, I can't believe I missed that, now it is fully obvious to me and you're probably right..

I guess I was just overcome with the (wrong) realisation that they had done everything else well and seemed to screw that up. My bad :o

Wraith
30th June 2009, 05:54 PM
True, but then a HSV is just a Holden at the end of the day.
I would go for what ever was the best priced for what I wanted or if money was no object then I probably would get one of these Toyota's considering how exclusive this is and the build quality of Toyota's (Lexus).
Just my 2c, but the build quality and reliability of Toyota's is what made me buy one over a Ford or Holden for example.

I can agree with the above and I'm not being biased as I've owned a HSV, several Toyotas and heaps of other Holdens, it all comes down to personal preferences for personal reasons, but in the end after being a car enthusiast for a long time, you realise that being a brand snob is complete nonsense and it's only yourself in the end that misses out ;)

Wraith
30th June 2009, 05:59 PM
yeah, I can't believe I missed that, now it is fully obvious to me and you're probably right..

I guess I was just overcome with the (wrong) realisation that they had done everything else well and seemed to screw that up. My bad :o

That's alright, all cool you did nothing wrong LOL :)

Anyone recall the concept vert version of that car - EXTRA HOTNESS !!!

Brazza
30th June 2009, 08:02 PM
That's alright, all cool you did nothing wrong LOL :)

Anyone recall the concept vert version of that car - EXTRA HOTNESS !!!

yeah I know lol I just can't believe I missed that cover it is a little embarrassing...

rjastra
1st July 2009, 10:22 AM
http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/6/large/8050460.jpg

Wraith
1st July 2009, 11:27 AM
Niiiiice !!!! ^^^^

Alcantara over dash and flattened steering wheel, I likey :cornut:

rjastra
1st July 2009, 01:36 PM
Niiiiice !!!! ^^^^

Alcantara over dash and flattened steering wheel, I likey :cornut:

Doesn't look like the flappy paddles move with the steering wheel....

Wraith
2nd July 2009, 08:47 AM
Doesn't look like the flappy paddles move with the steering wheel....

Right you are...

Some say that's a good thing, some not...

If I could own one of these vehicles, I couldn't care less :)

I suppose for those who are fussed about it, being a Japanese hi po machine there would most probably be an aftermarket kit available before long to change it just like on the GT-R.