PDA

View Full Version : QLD Learners license down do 16?

mackeysam
9th September 2004, 12:41 PM
Hey guys,

I'm almost 16 and therefore I will be getting my learners soon, however i have heard a rumor that they are bring the age down from 16/6month to 16?? Has anybody else heard this rumor? I have so far heard it from 7 or 8 people, a few of them being adults....
any info would be great...
cheers,
sam :D

Dee
9th September 2004, 12:49 PM
nah i heard the opposite sam.. i heard that you would have to wait til you were 17.. then be on ur L's for a year.. and ur P's for 3 year... therefore being 21 b4 you even think about getting you open licence

dazza015
9th September 2004, 01:17 PM
nah i heard the opposite sam.. i heard that you would have to wait til you were 17.. then be on ur L's for a year.. and ur P's for 3 year... therefore being 21 b4 you even think about getting you open licence

Thats what I heard too!

Lee_Um
9th September 2004, 01:48 PM
:shock:

Perth must be the odd state.
Learners at 16
Log book at 16 6months (25 hours)
P's at 17
p's for 2 years

Anonymous
9th September 2004, 02:06 PM
NSW goes like this...
learners at 16
log book at one year (52 hours minimum)
RED P's at 17
GREEN P's at 18
full licence at 20

Dee
9th September 2004, 02:13 PM
log book??? what the fark????

Anonymous
9th September 2004, 02:21 PM
hahaha yea you gotta log you hours down
EG.
manly to Deewhy 20min heavy traffic sunny whether
like that lol its so annoying

Dee
9th September 2004, 02:26 PM
wow... we dont have to do that... thank god.. that would jsut be a pain in the ass i reckon

dazza015
9th September 2004, 02:34 PM
Unless you drive a company car - hated when the company decided we needed log books :cry:

Dee
9th September 2004, 02:37 PM
yeah but darren that is for tax purposes..... the L log book is shit... you could make it all up, they would never know and you get ur licence :D yay

Degen-Astra
9th September 2004, 02:40 PM
VIC is 16 for L's (minimum 6 months...unless it has changed recently)
18 for P's (3 years)
21 for full licence

85 for when they revoke it because your eyesight has gotten a lot worse than it was when you were 18 when you got it. :wink:

Dee
9th September 2004, 02:46 PM
degen how does that work???

you only get ur P's when you turn 18.. what if you get the test right when youhave had ur 6 months on ur L's, do you have to wait til ur 18?

Nem
9th September 2004, 06:21 PM
Here in the NT it's:

16 for L's (minimum 2 weeks)
16.5 years for P's (12 months)
and then open drivers licence after that.

I actually had my full open licence for the last term at school. Oh and I got mine before they brought in zero blood alcohol and because it wasnt marked on my licence I wasnt required to have it. And the reason that was so good was because I was away at school in Queensland where everyone else were still bumming lifts or on their L's. :)

mackeysam
9th September 2004, 07:13 PM
yeah see i reakon that they are bring the learners age down because almost every other state gets theirs at 16(hopefully they are better drivers) because i reakon that they should bring it down cause it means more experience...so yeah i hope they bring it down to 16...

Degen-Astra
9th September 2004, 10:43 PM
Donna - 18 is the Minimum age for your P's. So if you got your L's at 17 and 6 months you can still get your P's at 18.

Dee
10th September 2004, 09:06 AM
wow.... we HAVE to have our L's for 6 months at least... and our P's for 3 years..... no excuses... cant get anything earlier.... i guess qld gov wants more experienced ppl on the roads..

mackeysam
10th September 2004, 02:19 PM
if they want more experience...then they should bring the learners age down to 16!!!! stupid government...ill like them when they actually do something...

Dee
10th September 2004, 03:41 PM
ur only really saying that cos you want ur licence now....

mackeysam
10th September 2004, 05:11 PM
too right i am...lol :P

astra_city
10th September 2004, 06:49 PM
I have to agree though, the only way to get people more experienced is to have them driving with a parent/supervisor for longer. ie bringing the learning age down to 16. Also I think there should be compulsory driver training.
Perth seems to have a good system, as already mentioned. My brother got his Ps back in 1999 and at that time you could get your Ls at 16yrs9mths and then not have to do any supervised driving and go for your Ps at 17. The new way, I got to practice driving on Freeways, in the wet, busy roads etc. It can only make you a safer driver...

mackeysam
10th September 2004, 07:50 PM
I have to agree though, the only way to get people more experienced is to have them driving with a parent/supervisor for longer. ie bringing the learning age down to 16. Also I think there should be compulsory driver training.
Perth seems to have a good system, as already mentioned. My brother got his Ps back in 1999 and at that time you could get your Ls at 16yrs9mths and then not have to do any supervised driving and go for your Ps at 17. The new way, I got to practice driving on Freeways, in the wet, busy roads etc. It can only make you a safer driver...

by compulsory driver training do you mean something like a defense driving course or something like that? my school does a defense driving course which i will be attending next year, however the ages do need to be brought down so we get more experience...

astra_city
11th September 2004, 03:10 PM
by compulsory driver training do you mean something like a defense driving course or something like that? my school does a defense driving course which i will be attending next year, however the ages do need to be brought down so we get more experience...

yeah exactly - sounds like your school has the right idea. The only thing my school did earlier this year was have a speaker out who told us that if we look around, we can find tyres for around $50 each :roll:

Anonymous
11th September 2004, 04:19 PM
our school did a driver training course last year and it was mandertory for the whole year to do it, was up at st ives at the hona HART place was awsome! we learnt about brake reaction time, and what to do when you loose it around corners etc, i think its great because this is the type of things kids actually want to learn, it makes it a fun way to learn how to drive safley, also as madertory in my family upon reaching 18 i must do my BMW driver trainging course lol and if i want my cams licence, its a thing my dad does, and i guess its worked lol, i have allready been on the track myself and once you expeirence that you realise how dangerous these cars can get.... i was going around the track with my dad in his ferrari 360 modena with the ferrari club when the guy in front of us spun out, he did a 180 and me and dad clipped his front right corner with our front right corner, and almost rolled over him, was a freightful expeirence which i never want to go through again and i think it sorta scared some sense into me lol anyhow i think if you get a chance to get on the track use it wisley and test your limitations there, NOT ON THE ROAD! but yea back on topic, i think the 16 factor is deff a good thing :D

mackeysam
12th September 2004, 07:10 PM
yay i have some supporters...the government should send something like a poll around to everyone in QLD and see what they want cause i think a decision like that should include the public because after all, it is us who are effected...however i will definatly be attending the driving course...

mackeysam
13th September 2004, 08:56 AM
btw thankyou all for the help....