PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Rusk
22nd June 2009, 09:30 AM
Hey sorry I wasn't realy sure what section this would go under. I'm new to all this and was wondering if I was to put a new exhaust and a panel filter is there anything I need to do insurance wise?

Brazza
22nd June 2009, 09:47 AM
They won't care about a replacement panel filter so you're fine there. As for the exhaust, apart from getting it put on your policy in case of damage, I'm pretty sure they won't care too much as it doesn't radically increase performance.

anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Rusk
22nd June 2009, 09:53 AM
Thnx also I got 3rd party if that makes a difference

Wraith
22nd June 2009, 10:08 AM
They won't care about a replacement panel filter so you're fine there. As for the exhaust, apart from getting it put on your policy in case of damage, I'm pretty sure they won't care too much as it doesn't radically increase performance.

anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

That would be correct, but in all cases, best thing to do is ask the questions and check with your individual insurer :)

Fact is, it's not the same deal for everyone, for eg: what I could get away with in terms of mods is 10x what an 18yo. could get away with and my premium would be 1/4 or less of what the 18yo. would pay as well - so check with your insurer and go from there...if not happy, shop around ;)

Shay
22nd June 2009, 12:02 PM
Thnx also I got 3rd party if that makes a difference

3rd party only?
in that case there is no difference.

ive got full cover and havent told the insurers about my mods.

3rd party over pays damage to other peoples property

Wraith
22nd June 2009, 12:43 PM
3rd party only?

WHOA, be very careful there......

3rd party pays the other person only yes, BUT if it was your fault and you've caused a huge $$$ damage bill or write off to another vehicle and the insurance company finds illegal or undeclared mods on your car, they may use that as justification not to pay out...

Same deal if you have full cover with undeclared mods, these days alot of the time they try find any excuse to not pay out claims...

Shay
22nd June 2009, 12:59 PM
WHOA, be very careful there......

3rd party pays the other person only yes, BUT if it was your fault and you've caused a huge $$$ damage bill or write off to another vehicle and the insurance company finds illegal or undeclared mods on your car, they may use that as justification not to pay out...

Same deal if you have full cover with undeclared mods, these days alot of the time they try find any excuse to not pay out claims...

i spose, but cant see exhaust or suspension being a cause...
illegal bull bars, aggressive bodykits, roll cages and reinforcing i can understand...

Wraith
22nd June 2009, 01:08 PM
i spose, but cant see exhaust or suspension being a cause...
illegal bull bars, aggressive bodykits, roll cages and reinforcing i can understand...

Suspension mods can definitely be a cause and insurance companies are onto those ! in fact 1st thing they look at these days is correct tyre load ratings !!!

If you've lowered your car, your better off telling them about it and most will allow it (to a certain point though).

What I've done with all my regular DD's or everyday driving cars is booked in a visual inspection by my insurer, so that they can see and inspect all the mods that way there's no hassle or probs if ever I need to make a claim (and also provided I havn't modded further and not declared it), the other reason for doing this is to acquire a higher agreed cover value ! on my Calibra for eg. I have it agreed valued at 14k ATM with all modifications, that would've been impossible without a visual inspection...:)

EL BURITO
22nd June 2009, 04:36 PM
3rd party only?

Don't admit to that shit on here,

get full comp, if you can't afford the insurance you cant afford the car

Tell insurance every thing about the car, my mods make up for 20% of the cost over a stock of the same model.

You crash into me and your not insured I don't care I will be getting the money out of you one way or another

I know a individual that still owes insurance a company 40K for a crash he caused when he was 18 he has been paying it off since, he is the same age as me. result of insurance being made void.

(I hope that was useful as my 5000th post)

Shay
22nd June 2009, 04:50 PM

Tell insurance every thing about the car, my mods make up for 20% of the cost over a stock of the same model.

You crash into me and your not insured I don't care I will be getting the money out of you one way or another

I know a individual that still owes insurance a company 40K for a crash he caused when he was 18 he has been paying it off since, he is the same age as me. result of insurance being made void.

i do have full comp :confused:
but spose ill let the insurers know, they just cost so much,
cars already insured for more than i paid for it, not near as much as with mods tho...

gman
22nd June 2009, 04:52 PM
Messing with insurance and insurance companies is very, very, very dangerous ground...

Fail to disclose very much at your own peril!!!! The the results can be incalculable if you get found out!!!! Imagine hitting a Ferrari

Read the fine print in an insurance contract. They can nullify your policy for just about anything. Infact is is usually harder to prove that you are eligible for insurance than that you are ineligible...

Insurance companies have hundreds of lawyers, clerks and managers whose sole purpose in living is to deny insurance claims...

Ever seen the movie "The Incredibles"? The company he works for is pretty much what they are like....Remember they have more red tape and people to tie it than you ever will....

Rusk
22nd June 2009, 06:06 PM
Guess I'll tell them. Would I be better telling them then getting it done or the otherway round?

Shay
22nd June 2009, 06:15 PM
both...

make sure they'll cover it, then tell them to cover it once its done.

gman
22nd June 2009, 06:41 PM
Wot he said up there....

9090GO
22nd June 2009, 09:09 PM
My insurance company only allowing 1 modifacation for my vehicle as I am under 25, but I am over the limit by ... ... ... lets say 5, AAMI already awear of my exhaust mod thats it.

My car looks OEM inside and out, all GM parts ect, I am planning suspension REPLACEMENT as well as getting a genuine SRi T front bar, would it matter much in this case? Replacing with genuine GM accessories doesn't count as a mod or does it?

gman
22nd June 2009, 10:29 PM
Depends on the contract, but it certainly could.....

Anything that isn;t ther original part can be considered a modification from the original spec

Z20LET
22nd June 2009, 10:58 PM
Would an insurance company be able to detect my re-map if a claim had to be made? Could I argue that I simply purchased the car like that and had no idea that it had a re-map? Reason I ask as I'm currently in the market for new insurance and I don't know if it's worth me mentioning it, especially if I can't be detected other than Holden I suppose.....

gman
22nd June 2009, 11:18 PM
Would be almost impossible to detect a remap.....

mania
22nd June 2009, 11:46 PM
I've informed my insurance provider (RAC) of everything so far, air intake mod (1.9 cdti airbox mod), remap, sway bar, ice, and they've been fine with it all so far. Not even an increase in premiums. :)

They certainly wanted to know about them all though, so don't see any reason not to tell.. unless you perhaps have a bad driving history?

lfw089
23rd June 2009, 02:16 AM
Wot he said up there....

+1...P.S I've gotta upgrade mine! Exhaust and sub...hmmmm probably should've done that like 4 months ago...a job for 9am!!!

lfw089
23rd June 2009, 02:17 AM
Question though... I bought my sub cheap off a mate, should I speak to the insurance about replacement value, like to buy from a shop?

Wraith
23rd June 2009, 08:43 AM

Yes very good 5000th post :clap:

As I've also mentioned here and in countless other insurance threads here over the years, get yourself 'properly' covered as already advised and enjoy peace of mind, especially if the car in question is used often or is your daily driven vehicle, the risk is too high to take chances !

There's a younger bloke here at my work who had an accident late last year - despite not being his fault, he is still awaiting resolution from his insurance company because they've found descrepancies in his cover...IMO he'll be waiting for a long time to come and probably not be paid out at all !!!

Granted this is far more difficult for the younger crowd, because insurance companies are stricter with them and policy costs are much higher too, but there are very good reasons for that...you just have to live with it and serve your time as we all have ;)

kirssn
23rd June 2009, 08:43 AM
You guys should all be aware that when you have been quoted or you have accepted and started a policy that:

"When answering an insurance companies questions, you must be honest and tell them anything that you and a reasonable person in the circumstances would include in your answer. It is important that you understand you are answering the questions for yourself and anyone else to who the questions apply.

Also, an insurance company may reduce or refuse to pay a claim, or cancel the policy if you have not answered their questions in this way."

So..... in short.... you have to tell them about any aftermarket accessories or any type of modifications on the vehicle...as well as any and all at fault, not at fault accidents, claims, traffic infringements etc.....because if you don't, then under your duty of disclosure, you have been dishonest and not disclosed correct and accurate information. Disclosing correct and accurate information ensures that you and your vehicle are underwritten properly.

My insurance policy is updated every week - my boss hates having to do it but because I'm disclosing information relating to either myself, my partner or one of our vehicles, he has to update it to keep my policy accurate in the event that we need to make a claim

Wraith
23rd June 2009, 08:48 AM
Question though... I bought my sub cheap off a mate, should I speak to the insurance about replacement value, like to buy from a shop?

To this and all other such questions...

As already mentioned check with your insurer !

Call them and ask them the questions, not here !

That's the only way you'll get an accurate and definite answer and go from there :)

As said it'll be different from one insurer to another and it'll be different depending on your age and previous insurance record or rating and it'll also vary depending on where you live...

Rusk
23rd June 2009, 09:44 AM
Does it take long to let them know can you do it over the net or a quick call?

Wraith
23rd June 2009, 10:27 AM
Does it take long to let them know can you do it over the net or a quick call?

Yes you can...

Usually a quick call is best (although sometimes your in a long queue and have to wait for a long time) as you have the answers on the spot and can make decisions or ask further questions again on the spot :)

Always ring around and get the best possible deal for your individual situation and as previously mentioned an on-site visual inspection is a must for getting a much better agreed value and making certain all mods are ok and fully noted and approved by the insurer :)

Z20LET
23rd June 2009, 09:52 PM
Would be almost impossible to detect a remap.....

Yeah I thought so.

Anyway, just been doing some online quotes and just car insurance allows for unlimited mods just as long as they are legal. The closest thing that they have to a re-map on their list of mods is a 'Computer Chip'. Should I say my car has a 'Computer Chip' even though it doesn't just to cover my arse in terms of the re-map?

Also I have noticed alot of insurance companies list 'Metallic Paint' as a factory option for the G SRi-T. I thought all 3 colours in the G SRi-T were Metallic....? Is Star Silver Metallic....? I'm not any good when it comes to different paints. Does anyone know If the G SRi-T was the same price when purchased brand new regardless of the colour?

Wraith
24th June 2009, 08:51 AM
Anyway, just been doing some online quotes and just car insurance allows for unlimited mods just as long as they are legal. The closest thing that they have to a re-map on their list of mods is a 'Computer Chip'. Should I say my car has a 'Computer Chip' even though it doesn't just to cover my arse in terms of the re-map?

Also I have noticed alot of insurance companies list 'Metallic Paint' as a factory option for the G SRi-T. I thought all 3 colours in the G SRi-T were Metallic....? Is Star Silver Metallic....? I'm not any good when it comes to different paints. Does anyone know If the G SRi-T was the same price when purchased brand new regardless of the colour?

1st. paragraph, hate to sound like a broken record, but ask them for precise answers !

2nd. paragraph, yes the black, arden blue and star silver colours used by Opel on the TS are all metallic across the range...

TS turbo hatches and verts were all the same price point when new regardless of exterior or interior colour (TS turbo verts had a choice of black or red interior) :)

mania
24th June 2009, 01:56 PM

Be careful with JCI - they're great in that they'll insure anything, but check out the excess. If I were to insure with them I'd have over $9000 excess, whereas RAC is only $500 or so.

EL BURITO
24th June 2009, 02:22 PM
Be careful with JCI - they're great in that they'll insure anything, but check out the excess. If I were to insure with them I'd have over $9000 excess, whereas RAC is only $500 or so.
is that just due to mods ?

kirssn
25th June 2009, 01:14 PM
is that just due to mods ?

Its part of being a "specialty" insurer within the niche markets - it allows a company to be selective about who they do and don't want to insure.....

people actually feel they are being discriminated against when they call a specialty insurer but we're not.....

Z20LET
25th June 2009, 02:13 PM
1st. paragraph, hate to sound like a broken record, but ask them for precise answers !

2nd. paragraph, yes the black, arden blue and star silver colours used by Opel on the TS are all metallic across the range...

TS turbo hatches and verts were all the same price point when new regardless of exterior or interior colour (TS turbo verts had a choice of black or red interior) :)

Thanks for that Wraith. With just cars, if you insure online the premium is cheaper then over the phone. That's why I was asking if it would be ok to label the re-map as a 'Computer Chip' like they do in their list of mods.

As for the G SRi-T's all having metallic paint regardless of the colour why do all insurance companies list it as a factory option if it's standard.... Should I tick the box? Makes no difference to the premium either way.

$9,000! :yikes: Fu*k, if I insure with just cars my excess will be $2,000 which is what most other insurance mobs will charge me anyway.

lithium
25th June 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for that Wraith. With just cars, if you insure online the premium is cheaper then over the phone. That's why I was asking if it would be ok to label the re-map as a 'Computer Chip' like they do in their list of mods.

As for the G SRi-T's all having metallic paint regardless of the colour why do all insurance companies list it as a factory option if it's standard.... Should I tick the box? Makes no difference to the premium either way.

you should call them and find out...ask questions on the phone then apply online

+1 for everyone who has said leave things undeclared at your own peril :yikes: you may as well not buy insurance at all!

mania
25th June 2009, 03:51 PM
$9,000! :yikes: Fu*k, if I insure with just cars my excess will be $2,000 which is what most other insurance mobs will charge me anyway.

I'm going to have to retract that - when I first got the car I checked them as an insurance provider, and it had $8000 vehicle excess (I'd triple checked too) on the astra-turbos. Along with $450 normal excess, $600 age excess makes $9000 odd. Must have been a default excess in the system or something that had gone unchecked though, because now there appears to be a $0 vehicle excess on them. Or they've since changed all their quoting system...

chrissn89
25th June 2009, 04:21 PM
Since reading this thread, i got thinking. What the hell ill ring up AAMI and let them know the mods ive done to my car. Call them up and list off the things ive done.

Front Mount Intercooler
Custom Air intake (with pod filter)
3" dump pipe (decat pipe)
Angel Eye headlights
18" Wheels
Re-map

Now having in mind i was 18yo when i got my Astra TS SRi-T. I called around a few places and did the online quote's. Most company's wouldnt cover me because i owner a turbo car and under 25 or others wanted $2000+ highest was RACQ $3500. Now the astra was stock as a rock when i got it. I called AAMI they were very easy to talk to no waiting ques and you talk to people not computers. Tell them everything about me and the car they come back with sorry but the best we can do is $1450p/a. Im like thats a good price, she then goes on saying if you do the FREE driver training course we'll reduce your premium by $150p/a until your 25yo.

Now everyone goes on about mods, young people and turbo cars. So i didnt want to really tell them about the mods id done, i didnt want to premium to go through the roof.

But today i called them and listed off the above list, Ron was very helpful and all went smoothly, he added all the mods and accessories to my policy. Now i thought this i gonna cost me a heap more. I asked Ron so whats the damage p/a now, his reply was 'Chris your premium will not change'. Yes you hear correct will not change :eek::cornut::D

Remember im now 19yo's. So if youre worrying about calling your insurance company about new mods or mods youve done, just do it.

sorry about the epic post :o