PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network and file sharing

AH Sri Turb04
20th June 2009, 05:48 PM
I have been waiting for a section like this to ask a "basic" question...hahaha

I recently (yes recently) got broadband and I have successfully been able to setup the modem/router and our two laptops to access both (a) the internet and (b) the printer (wireless also).

However I want to the two laptops to talk to each other in order to access shared files. I have tried in the past but failed i.e. I could get the vista-laptop to work (by trial and error) but couldn't setup the xp-laptop.

If anyone could guide me to a conclusive 'how-to' for both vista and xp that would be awesome!

MAD-16V
20th June 2009, 08:44 PM
Right click on your folder you want shared ( Or you can share entire drives ) , Select "Sharing" and follow the steps , You should be able to set up user level access, or in vista you can go into your network and sharing centre and allow anyone on your network to access the folder/drive.

In xp you do the same , Share the folder or the drive - set your permissions and you should be away.

Once you have done this restart both computers.
On the vista machine click "Start" then "Network" - If it has worked you should be able to see the folder/drive you shared on the xp machine in here and you will be able to access it.

In xp It should be called "my network places" - And the folder/drive shared on the vista machine should be visible and accessible.

See if you can get this to work , I have this identical setup at home with quite a few machines.

Any trouble just post again and ill keep trying to help you.

AH Sri Turb04
21st June 2009, 03:21 PM
thanks for the guidance - just trying that now and i will let ppl (those who care :D) know how it goes!!

hazrd
21st June 2009, 11:05 PM
im interested to know how u go mate because:

1. i cannot access my vista machine from my xp machine without having the EXACT username and password as whats on my vista machine
2. vice versa
3. same deal with the printer, not wireless, but hooked upto my server (vista) - it wont let me print until i make an attempt to access the server first

i could probably work it out when im bored one night but i really cbf lol

good luck with it all mate... looking fwd to hearing the results

ROCCO
23rd June 2009, 09:42 PM
Its easy. I had this problem. My Vista Ultimate X64 couldn't see my wifes XP Pro SP3. You need to get the hotfix from MS apply it too the SP3 machine. Reboot....once this has been done make sure both machines are on a static ip address.
To do this go to www.portforward.com following the guide on setting up an static IP.
Once this is done right click on my computer and make sure the workgroup names are the same.
That should jsut about do it.

let me know how you go.

Hazrd in vista go to Network and sharing centre. Make sure Password Protected sharing is OFF and make sure everything else is turned on. On the vista machine make sure that the network is a Private network.