PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core CPU

Jerram
18th June 2009, 08:36 PM
anyone know where the best deals on Core Quad processors are at?

poita
18th June 2009, 08:37 PM
umart.com.au jerram
u could pick up too

Jerram
18th June 2009, 08:42 PM
umart.com.au jerram
u could pick up too

so they are the best eh

ok then - just got a gfx card and psu from there - only problem is that there's crap all parking during a business day.

Vectracious
18th June 2009, 08:49 PM
Theres MSY in brisbane isnt there?

you want cheap but quality PC stuff with shithouse service here in Melb - you go to MSY....

poita
18th June 2009, 08:51 PM
MSY in syd and melb afaik pete

Vectracious
18th June 2009, 08:52 PM
just checked their site...

Q.L.D. Location & Contacts: 1.Slacks Creek Branch(1500m2) (http://www.msy.com.au/LOCATION/slacks%20creek.html) 2.Morningside Branch(300m2) (http://www.msy.com.au/LOCATION/morningside.html) 3. Brendale (200m2)"NEW" (http://www.msy.com.au/LOCATION/brendale.htm)4. Varsity Lakes-Gold Coast(200m2) "NEW" (http://www.msy.com.au/LOCATION/varsitylakes.html)

dunno QLD suburbs so dunno how close they are to anyone there.....

poita
18th June 2009, 08:53 PM
ah shit hey, there you go.

umart prices are better with what i've bought before

Jerram
18th June 2009, 09:22 PM
gee you think they'd put a bit more effort into their web design.

maybe it's spose to turn "idiot" customers away...

poita
18th June 2009, 09:25 PM
yer it is
plain simple to the point, if you dont know what your looking for you got no hope
it is kinda annoying though sometimes

Vectracious
18th June 2009, 09:27 PM

you only go into their store if you know what you want and you know what you are talking about. They have no patience for idiots or people who ummm and ahhh for 15 minutes. Customer service and politeness is 0 - but I couldnt give a shit because you can pick up stuff at 50% off what you would pay a retailer like Dick Smith or HN.

Manda88
18th June 2009, 09:35 PM
use staticice.com.au to search for cheapest parts in australia, its a good site

Calibrated
19th June 2009, 06:15 AM
msy is cheaper than umart 99% of the time. and morningside is close enough for jerram. thankfully they just opened a brendale branch aswell :)

Calibrated
19th June 2009, 06:16 AM

its more for people that know what they want, and when you walk into the store, you'll see how they keep their costs down, which in turn, keeps their prices down ;)

reedaaron
19th June 2009, 06:52 AM
last time i went to msy there was a bunch of 13 year olds running the store... not the best image when there isn't an adult in sight... :p

but the prices are good, as are umart..

Calibrated
19th June 2009, 06:57 AM
last time i went to msy there was a bunch of 13 year olds running the store... not the best image when there isn't an adult in sight... :p

but the prices are good, as are umart..

which store? morningside or brendale?

never seen any younguns working in morningside (havent been to the brendale branch yet)

Nurb608
19th June 2009, 07:39 AM
I've always got my parts from MSY, nice and cheap, but the line can be out the door sometimes.

Kudrow
19th June 2009, 02:30 PM
www.staticice.com.au (http://www.staticice.com.au)

delemonte
19th June 2009, 05:21 PM
Umart is pretty good, but parking in Milton is the worst, and MSY is usually a little cheaper. I can't say I've ever had any issues with the staff/service at MSY either, but that's prob cos I speak to them in Chinese and they very quickly take a bit of a liking to me :p hehe

I personally prefer MSY.

InsaneAsylum
20th June 2009, 12:22 PM
the MSY in brooklyn is well stocked, not so busy and suprisingly decent service!! i went to the store in caulfield once, the line was out the door and the staff didn't seem that helpful either.

Nurb608
20th June 2009, 04:58 PM
the MSY in brooklyn is well stocked, not so busy and suprisingly decent service!! i went to the store in caulfield once, the line was out the door and the staff didn't seem that helpful either.

Try pascoe vale! if u dont pick the right time......forget about it. But still woldnt shop anywhere else

Hackstra
10th July 2009, 08:22 AM
Always go to MSY, but NEVER go to browse haha its impossible really, you go in when you know what you want. Why would you want a quad core anyway? do you do some hardcore multi tasking, (media editing etc)? If its for gaming just go dual core, most games arent desgined for quad yet.

ROCCO
10th July 2009, 09:43 AM
What do you want a Quad Core for? What are you going to do on it? I was looking at a Quad Core for my games machine....ended up going to Dual Core E6850...so i could match the ram speed to the CPU...mind you there really isn't anything out there at the moment that uses the extra Cores.
Windows 7 will but thats it...no programs or games...waste of money IMHO...

Hackstra
10th July 2009, 01:04 PM
exactly right Rocco

JasonGilholme
10th July 2009, 04:59 PM
i'm looking at new cpu setup and have been looking at the i7 CPUs. I'm currently using one in my work machine and it works ok. Previously i've been using machines either running a Core 2 QUAD or a setup with 2 Core QUAD CPU's on the MB.

I'm leaning towards the i7 because most of the mother boards support DDR3 and have enough ram slots to fit 12 gig. I currently run 6 and fill it up pretty easily.

What are you using your machine for? if its just games etc i doubt you will get any benefit from it. Most games aren't threaded properly for multi cpu usage. and windows isn't great at it either.

ROCCO
10th July 2009, 05:38 PM
If your talking to me...I run a few Virtual machines...hence the reason for 8gb of DDR2. that would really be the only reason for a huge amount of ram and the quad core. Unless your doing graphic design and prefer not to use an Apple.

JasonGilholme
10th July 2009, 05:51 PM
ahh i see why you need the ram then. Virtual machines can be quite taxing.

I don't do graphic design. I work in film and TV. 3D animation, particle simulation, fluid simulation, rendering etc. All the software is optimised for windows/linux systems and is fully threaded. Hence the need for the extra cpu + ram.

Does anyone have any info on the i7 cpu's and how the compare to the quads? Or is this just another rehash of an old technology to try and generate sales?

Reason i ask is cause i can't see any different between the two and the price difference is pretty great 400 vs 1800 bucks. :o

poita
10th July 2009, 07:02 PM
main thing, no front side bus on i7, it also combines the cpu and gpu into one chip (from memory)

i personally would just get a core2 quad

JasonGilholme
10th July 2009, 07:12 PM
main thing, no front side bus on i7, it also combines the cpu and gpu into one chip (from memory)

i personally would just get a core2 quad

oh really? no FSB? The gpu + cpu thing is a worry too. That may explain some UI rendering problems i have been having occasionally... (open GL/direct 3D related)

I'd have to agree with the core2 quad thing. I've never had problems running those chips.

poita
10th July 2009, 07:34 PM
yer its a strange setup, Glenn (gman) runs an i7 from memory.

i think its cause hes an ub3r n3rd :lol:

but my next machine will either be a core2 quad, or on of the new phenoms

MAD-16V
10th July 2009, 07:36 PM
Im on an E8500 Core 2 duo , runs solid at 4.2ghz and is more than enough to support high end gfx cards and image processing software.

From all of the benchmarks I have seen the performance per dollar of the i7 chips is not up to par at the moment.

If you guys are into 3d design and physics you should be looking more towards gpu isntead of cpu.

JasonGilholme
10th July 2009, 07:37 PM
phenoms?

I think of the fembots from austin powers when i read that! haha.

Sorry for the off topic lol

will have to look them up.

poita
10th July 2009, 07:37 PM
im running an EN8800GT at the moment, 512mb card.
was awesome when i bought it.

phenom = amd quad core

MAD-16V
10th July 2009, 07:39 PM
2 x GTX 260 core 216 in SLI here :)

JasonGilholme
10th July 2009, 07:40 PM
Im on an E8500 Core 2 duo , runs solid at 4.2ghz and is more than enough to support high end gfx cards and image processing software.

From all of the benchmarks I have seen the performance per dollar of the i7 chips is not up to par at the moment.

If you guys are into 3d design and physics you should be looking more towards gpu isntead of cpu.

not neccessarily.

The display is GPU goverened and isn't really the bottle neck. Its moreso calculating the simulation and caching it to disk as this uses the CPU. Once you've done that it will play realtime without any dramas.

Even cloth simulations with lots of samples will play back quite quickly once cached. its just making the cache which takes the time (could be 1 minute could be 2 hours depending on the complexity)

At the moment i'm running a high end gaming card for my 3D apps and the playback is fine. I wouldn't bother with the high end quadro type cards unless i was in need of some serious Hardware rendering.

poita
10th July 2009, 07:41 PM
if i wasnt pooring so much into my cally i would be running something like that too

*edit*

hmmm not that much of a difference

glider
10th July 2009, 08:19 PM
currently running

Phenom 9950
8GB DDR2 generic (either 800 or 1066 been to long)
XFX 8800GT 512MB (long overdue for an upgrade, 2nd display sometimes has issues, I think the card doesn't like 2x 1920x1200)
Vista x64

it gets the job done.

JasonGilholme
11th July 2009, 09:40 AM
how do you find vista 64? I wanna run xp 64 on my new setup cause its been proven, but you can't buy it new anymore.

ROCCO
12th July 2009, 03:34 PM
Personally stay away from XP 64...I havea copy here and its shit. If your gonna go x64 bit go either Vista 64 or Windows 7 64bit...(last one is free till june next year)

glider
12th July 2009, 09:12 PM
how do you find vista 64? I wanna run xp 64 on my new setup cause its been proven, but you can't buy it new anymore.

tbh I dont mind it anymore, would probably rather be running XP but cant be bothered setting everything up again

Calibrated
17th July 2009, 08:35 AM
well im either going phenom or i7. going phenom is definitely cheaper, but depends how long its shelf life still is. weighing up the pro's and con's.