PDA

View Full Version : I didn't hear about this....

HappySlapper82
14th June 2009, 10:38 AM
As a result of new Clarity in Pricing legislation, effective from 25 May 2009, the ACCC requires all vehicle manufacturers and dealers to advertise the purchase price of a motor vehicle as a single price (i.e. on an 'all inclusive' basis).
The 'all inclusive price' will include the vehicle's list price and any other quantifiable 'on-road' costs that a consumer will need pay to purchase a new vehicle, including:-

Vehicle purchase price;
Stamp duty;
Luxury Car Tax (if applicable);
Compulsory third party insurance (CTP);
Registration; and
Dealer delivery fee.

I guess the Governments trying to make the system more like the American system.

daiflu
14th June 2009, 10:55 AM
yea, the carsguide guys were having a winge about it a couple of weeks back.
It means they can no longer quote price when reviewing or comparing vehicles, because the manufacturers would not give them a price since there are now many variables buit into it.
Something like that anyway.

hazrd
14th June 2009, 10:55 AM
yeah i read about this somewhere, its to stop the big guys shafting us little guys with:

"buy this OPC Insignia for only $39,999!!!"

sweet, so u save up 40 grand only to find out u have to pay another 15, in taxes, delivery fees, and rego/ctp/etc

glider
14th June 2009, 11:17 AM
I like it, actually gives you the accurate price as adam pointed out

Vectracious
14th June 2009, 11:53 AM
I think its a good idea as well - have noticed the listings on carsales have got the driveaway figure more and more...

BEK-46P
14th June 2009, 12:38 PM
It's about freeking time! This should've always been the case with car pricing.

stevedee3
14th June 2009, 05:42 PM
yea, the carsguide guys were having a winge about it a couple of weeks back.
It means they can no longer quote price when reviewing or comparing vehicles, because the manufacturers would not give them a price since there are now many variables buit into it.
Something like that anyway.I think the ACCC has clarified that only people who sell cars have to worry about this - refer below:
It's official: ACCC exempts media from price rules (http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/595B704E3ECD9892CA2575CC0009E90E)

hazrd
14th June 2009, 05:51 PM
bah

HappySlapper82
14th June 2009, 06:22 PM
"But the problem of having to publish the full final price on car company web sites continues to haunt the car-makers and car importers because they are suppliers of cars and caught by the new rules."

The way I read that article, it still says car dealers have to state the full price inc. on-roads, regardless, whether it's published via media or not

hazrd
14th June 2009, 08:20 PM
i understand how it says that the media itself does not supply the car, but the manufacturer supplies the correct material for advertising, which relates to the car, so as twisted as it sounds, it actually is a part of supplying the car, thus, it should still be a part of the regulation

but thats politics for ya, just gotta be savvy and ask a dealer what the on road price is for the said car i guess...

John_LS1
14th June 2009, 10:15 PM
Most people know there is extra costs, but it is a good idea to walk in and know excatly how much its going to cost you without being in shock when they tell you the additional costs :P

Brazza
14th June 2009, 10:27 PM
looks like it's not the end of "get this amazing car for only twenty-nine nine ninety... plus on roads"

bloody car dealers and their nice sounding rounded figures lol

EL BURITO
14th June 2009, 11:12 PM
I think this may alter pricing though because they will want prices to be $29990 and not $27576. assuming that makes sense, ok that can work in the other direction too.

also prices in all states due to tax insurance rego are all different so pricing in magazines will be difficult

franko
14th June 2009, 11:49 PM
its about time this happend

9090GO
15th June 2009, 06:58 AM
They always leave it untill the last minute!