PDA

View Full Version : GM Selling Saab to......

gman
12th June 2009, 02:13 PM
Well it look slike the GM fire sale continues with it now selling Saab to supercar maker Koneigsegg!!!!

Not a done deal yet, but they are the NO:1 candidate....

MatsHolden
12th June 2009, 02:27 PM
I'm buying a Saab... :D haha

Brazza
12th June 2009, 02:28 PM
of all the names I expected to see...

maybe the visual styling of saabs will improve now :p

ChrisMaz
12th June 2009, 02:33 PM
of all the names I expected to see...

maybe the visual styling of saabs will improve now :p

God I hope so. They're up there with Volvo for boringest looking car.

oneightoo
12th June 2009, 02:42 PM
and you think Koneigsegg will make them look better??

lol..

they jet fighter builders, so their cars will always have that "jet fighter" look..

gman
12th June 2009, 02:46 PM
Ahh, the good ol' Saab Viggen...

The new Saab's are basically Subaru's anyways underneath (Fuji Heavy Industries which is Subaru owns a fair chunk of Saab too)...

If Koneigsegg did get them it could be very interesting...

The new Saab's in HK look very Subaru-ish and not that bad actually...

Wraith
12th June 2009, 05:00 PM
and you think Koneigsegg will make them look better??

lol..

they jet fighter builders, so their cars will always have that "jet fighter" look..

Hahahaha LOL agree with your 1st line :lol:

But as stated other times SAAB aerospace has little if anything to do with the SAAB automobile operation and these days they're much dissolved into other European aerospace companies ;)

They've obviously had plenty to do with GM...they've always used the aerospace division to slingshot off (as you would) for advertising reasons :)

A merger with Koneigsegg would be interesting, SAAB with all the experience and Koneigsegg with some serious mechanical hardware parts bin, might work out very well, but both are lacking in making a good looking vehicle - might have to hire someone else for their designs :)

kabel
12th June 2009, 08:33 PM
And Roger Penske has bought Saturn Motor Company (Astra`s)
from GM US .................

Manda88
12th June 2009, 09:40 PM
i must say i do like the new saab 9-3 aero, they have improved from what they were in the 90s :p... but for konesiggezzzarrra (TGUK joke) it might get better aslong as the cars dont catch fire randomly aswell as break randomly now :p

Brazza
12th June 2009, 09:45 PM
and you think Koneigsegg will make them look better?

I am not familiar with these decent looking new saabs everyone is talking about but as far as I'm aware making them look worse would be a more difficult task than improving on them lol

Brazza
12th June 2009, 09:51 PM
i must say i do like the new saab 9-3 aero

can't fully agree with you there... sure they've improved but I don't know why they refuse to let go of the wing looking headlights on most of their cars... the back end of that car is actually quite good looking though IMO.

Manda88
12th June 2009, 09:54 PM
i like it as a 'family sedan' if only it was priced the same as say a honda accord then it would be good competition...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/12/hir_sa_ae.jpg

Brazza
12th June 2009, 10:38 PM
there's one thing about this car other than the lights which grates on me...

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4193/saabcan.jpg

Vectracious
12th June 2009, 10:42 PM
Lets keep putting a new face on a body that dates back to the mid 90's. And then they wonder why they don't sell well.

Manda88
12th June 2009, 10:45 PM
But i mean if the 9-3 as pictured above was in the high 20s low 30s thousands.. you got to admit youd put some interest to it if you were shopping for a 4 door sedan.. :p its just saab think they are 'luxury' and can charge an arm and a leg

Red AH SRI T
13th June 2009, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=gman;443024]Ahh, the good ol' Saab Viggen...

The new Saab's are basically Subaru's anyways underneath (Fuji Heavy Industries which is Subaru owns a fair chunk of Saab too)...

/QUOTE]

Ahhh no they aren't.

The only Saab that was ever Subaru related was the 9-2X, which was never sold in OZ. This was a last gen WRX hatch with a Saab front end. Oh and the stillborn 9-6X, which was the Saab version of the Tribbeca, when the orginal Tribbeca bombed and GM sold Subaru they just wacked a Subaru Grille on what was going to be the Saab 9-6X and released it and now they have a sales success.

But Subaru's and Saab's are not related.

The 9-3 runs on the Epsilon I platform shared with the Vectra and the 9-5 Runs on an even older ancient platform.

Here ends your history lesson :p

USC
13th June 2009, 11:50 AM
hmm...may be Im crazy..but I think this Saab looks better than the new WRX Sedan...

rjastra
13th June 2009, 04:55 PM
correct... SAAB chassis are GM derived. As are most of the engines.

the reason for the SAAB/Subaru cross pollenisation was because GM used to have a share of Subaru

Vectracious
13th June 2009, 06:01 PM
hmm...may be Im crazy..but I think this Saab looks better than the new WRX Sedan...

pics dont do the sedan justice - it looks a lot better in real life

saying that though, I would get the hatch if I was to upgrade.

MatsHolden
13th June 2009, 06:04 PM
pics dont do the sedan justice - it looks a lot better in real life

Nah looks plain jane boring! Yours looks much better. Was sitting behind a new sedan WRX the other day... what an underwhelming vehicle! Saw the WRX badge and went... :eek:. If it wasn't for the badge, you wouldn't know!

Vectracious
13th June 2009, 06:07 PM
I agree - the 03-05's are the best lookers after the 99-00 models. Poor Subaru went all conservative after they got crucified on the MY08 hatch models....

Manda88
13th June 2009, 08:49 PM
my fav is the 'eagle' lights looking one... is that MY07? i dunno but that was my favourite shape..

Brazza
14th June 2009, 09:53 AM
Nah looks plain jane boring! Yours looks much better. Was sitting behind a new sedan WRX the other day... what an underwhelming vehicle! Saw the WRX badge and went... :eek:. If it wasn't for the badge, you wouldn't know!

:yikes: the arse end on that thing is shithouse and after making the new hatch look so good (IMO) I would have thought the design team would have more up their sleeves...

HappySlapper82
14th June 2009, 10:34 AM

I thought I was looking at a Kia rear end untill I noticed the badges. Made me laugh :p

Brazza
14th June 2009, 10:35 AM
I thought I was looking at a Kia rear end untill I noticed the badges. Made me laugh :p

+1 for kia and for the lolz

Vectracious
14th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Still quicker than most other cars for the price straight off the showroom floor... :cool:

JohnBu
15th June 2009, 12:12 PM
my fav is the 'eagle' lights looking one... is that MY07? i dunno but that was my favourite shape..

lovingly referred to as the Pig nose.

Also my fav, except for the MY08+ STi.

back topic, would Koneigsegg have the finances to maintain Opel? To buy Opel is one thing, to make repayments on loans is another.

rjastra
15th June 2009, 01:25 PM
back topic, would Koneigsegg have the finances to maintain Opel? To buy Opel is one thing, to make repayments on loans is another.

I thought it was Magna and a Russian bank that had bought into OPEL not Koneigsegg

MatsHolden
15th June 2009, 01:45 PM
I thought it was Magna and a Russian bank that had bought into OPEL not Koneigsegg

It is.

Koneigsegg is looking at buying Saab not Opel.

Vectracious
16th June 2009, 07:49 AM
LOL - Read thread FAIL.

JohnBu
16th June 2009, 12:03 PM
DOH!!

i blame the losers discussing the bloody wrxs for the lapse!!