PDA

View Full Version : NEW CAR for AZA28

aza28
5th June 2009, 04:25 PM
Choices, choices, choices.

i have narrowed down my choices to the following two cars.

New Subaru Forester XT Premium (manual); OR
New Audi A4 2.0 TDI w/ optional xenon lights w/ LED daytime running lights
I haven't driven the Audi yet (will be doing that tomorrow). This may be the deciding factor for me. For now though, on paper, they both have their pros and cons and i'm unsure which one is right for me.

Subby:
Pros - boxer engine, AWD, versatility, resale value, standard equipment level, i can have a bit a fun with it (exhaust, intercooler, tune etc).
Cons - new styling doesn't win me over, won't be anywhere near as fuel efficent as the audi

Audi:
Pros - its an audi, german quality, fuel efficiency, it looks HOT, day-time running lights, that 7 speed CVT transmission!
Cons - its an auto, lack of power, may get bored of driving it after 6mths, $$$ premium over the subby (esp. the options list).

Help me make my decision!

Comments/suggestions wanted.

GreyRex
5th June 2009, 04:32 PM
Wow they're totally different vehicles...

No idea

For me... the interior of the Forester is such a downer. Very scratchy plastics

simmy
5th June 2009, 04:35 PM
FORESTER!

get the forester!!! :D

as for the interior - customise ;)

sooty
5th June 2009, 04:37 PM
Audi...the exterior of the fozzy would make me regret getting it every time i approached it.

simmy
5th June 2009, 04:41 PM
nobody asked u ain :p

forester FTW!

glider
5th June 2009, 04:46 PM
as fun as the forester would be, I would take the Audi... plus theres probably tuning potential (surely theres something like the greenbox for them)

aza28
5th June 2009, 04:47 PM
Wow they're totally different vehicles...

No idea

For me... the interior of the Forester is such a downer. Very scratchy plastics

yeh, had enough of holden!

i didn't think the interior was all that bad... its very functional and simple layout.. the big 7" monitor looks the biz as well! doesn't compare to the Audi though i know.

sooty
5th June 2009, 04:47 PM
as fun as the forester would be, I would take the Audi... plus theres probably tuning potential (surely theres something like the greenbox for them)

Yeah, if he gets the one with 125 odd kw, it can tune to 150kw, 420nm ;)
the 103kw one goes to 130, and 390nm...

aza28
5th June 2009, 04:50 PM

hmmm didn't think of that...

interesting... are these figures for a tune you currently know to be on the market or you just throwing rough figures around?

sooty
5th June 2009, 04:52 PM
interesting... are these figures for a tune you currently know to be on the market or you just throwing rough figures around?

tune currently on the market :)
www.dieseltuninguk.co.uk (http://www.dieseltuninguk.co.uk) (same guys who make the greenbox)
look under find my vehicle.;)

http://i43.tinypic.com/11hysep.jpg

glider
5th June 2009, 04:54 PM
directly from their website

standard BHP 103 / 140 PS 320NM
tuned 122 / 166 PS 380NM

dmrmgl
5th June 2009, 05:09 PM
F o r e s t e r !!!!

aza28
5th June 2009, 05:12 PM
not bad for a $700 investment... 20% more efficient... not bad!

the thing i hated about the astra was the ride quality and also its versatility.. if i get the audi i'll want 19" which will compromise ride quality, its not as versatile as the subby either.... and i want the sound of that boxer engine!!

Calibrated
5th June 2009, 05:18 PM
you wont get the boxer burble on the new forester. the exhaust manifolds are different

aza i would highly suggest signing up on

OzFoz or GTRydaz for forester research, and OzAudi and AudiZine for research on the audi. i have literally just been down that path. although looking at my03 audi's and my05/my06 foresters, but nonetheless, you can see which route i went :)

gman
5th June 2009, 05:33 PM
IMHO, get the Audi...

The only down sides to the Audi might be:

Its a diesel so sounds average
Parts and servicing might be expensive
Not as roomy as the Forester

But the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

I've owned both an Audi S3 (Parents still have their S4) and a WRX STi and both had good and bad points.

IMHO, Audi FTW...

9090GO
5th June 2009, 06:41 PM
Audi gets my vote, it suits you and your job too :)

Orion_996
5th June 2009, 06:42 PM
audi wins for me as well

mania
5th June 2009, 06:53 PM
Defintely audi for me too. Never been keen on foresters..

xplosv57
5th June 2009, 07:01 PM
Audi if i had to choose between the 2, but both cars are very different and there are in my opinion, much better choices in that price range!!

aza28
5th June 2009, 07:13 PM
Audi if i had to choose between the 2, but both cars are very different and there are in my opinion, much better choices in that price range!!

what are they xplosv57...??

aza28
5th June 2009, 07:20 PM
you wont get the boxer burble on the new forester. the exhaust manifolds are different

aza i would highly suggest signing up on

OzFoz or GTRydaz for forester research, and OzAudi and AudiZine for research on the audi. i have literally just been down that path. although looking at my03 audi's and my05/my06 foresters, but nonetheless, you can see which route i went :)

cool, i'll jump on and do a bit of research.

u sure?? check this vid out... sounds like typical boxer burble to me???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpc5COcYRt8&feature=related

and this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5f5SafNEo

aza28
5th June 2009, 07:26 PM
IMHO, get the Audi...

The only down sides to the Audi might be:

Its a diesel so sounds average
Parts and servicing might be expensive
Not as roomy as the Forester

But the advantages far outweigh the negatives.

I've owned both an Audi S3 (Parents still have their S4) and a WRX STi and both had good and bad points.

IMHO, Audi FTW...

agree... my parents own an 02 Audi A4. Great car but i never liked the CVT (multitronic)... its very hesitant from standing start... hopefully they've fixed this with the new 7 speed transmissions... i'll find out tomorrow i guess :)

daiflu
5th June 2009, 08:06 PM
The Audi for sure!
I haven't driven that model, but have had plenty of A4 and A6 rental cars (for a week at a time) and every time I drive one I'm impressed with the build quality and handling (the Barossa Valley is usually the test track ;)).
I really don't see the appeal of the Forester (unless you're a soccer mom), and it's got the style of a cardboard box.

Manda88
5th June 2009, 08:43 PM
audi vote for me too... #1 i hate 4wd drivers :p #2 never really liked the creepy crawly noise of a boxer engine. :p #3 Audi = better quality/resellabilty/looks/fuel and more 'classy'...

bgr400
5th June 2009, 11:10 PM
Audi for sure, have you considered any other cars?

Calibrated
5th June 2009, 11:18 PM
cool, i'll jump on and do a bit of research.

u sure?? check this vid out... sounds like typical boxer burble to me???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpc5COcYRt8&feature=related

and this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so5f5SafNEo
hmm as far as i knew, they dont give that sound, just like the new liberty's. although some guys have replaced the manifolds to get that sound.

i could be wrong.

d.c.
5th June 2009, 11:20 PM
Out of those two it's a hard choice because they are both so different but I would probably go the Audi, such a nice car.

IMO the best of both worlds would be a new Subaru Liberty GT specB get all the premium sedan stuff and the fast boxer engine as well, comes in a wagon also if you need to put you yapping mutt some where. Just a thought.

rjastra
5th June 2009, 11:40 PM
You could get a A3 TDI. That gets the 125Kw hipo 2L diesel.

I can see the appeal of the A4 TDI as it sneaks under the luixury car tax.
Dont right of the base 1.8T A4. That can be tweaked to 141kw/305Nm.

Also have a look at the facelifted Skoda Octavia RS (hatch or wagon). Has the 2L turbo petrol and diesel engines found in the Audi.

aza28
5th June 2009, 11:58 PM
Out of those two it's a hard choice because they are both so different but I would probably go the Audi, such a nice car.

IMO the best of both worlds would be a new Subaru Liberty GT specB get all the premium sedan stuff and the fast boxer engine as well, comes in a wagon also if you need to put you yapping mutt some where. Just a thought.

i have thought about the liberty. Its a nice car but the new model is due in November so i'm not sure i want to buy an outgoing model.

You could get a A3 TDI. That gets the 125Kw hipo 2L diesel.

I can see the appeal of the A4 TDI as it sneaks under the luixury car tax.
Dont right of the base 1.8T A4. That can be tweaked to 141kw/305Nm.

Also have a look at the facelifted Skoda Octavia RS (hatch or wagon). Has the 2L turbo petrol and diesel engines found in the Audi.

the A3 isn't an option as i want something bigger or i would have kept the astra. I'm leaning towards an SUV framework.

Apparently you can get a decent deal on a new A4 so i'll see how the test drive goes tomorrow. everything's hinging on the test drive for me atm.

hazrd
6th June 2009, 12:01 AM
oody oody oody :)

maloo97
6th June 2009, 12:45 AM
Go the Audi.

xplosv57
6th June 2009, 01:29 PM
what are they xplosv57...??

Well assuming you need the space for something, was thinking of the Octavia, Liberty, Accord, Mazda 6 etc, then for somthing similar to the Forester, something like a Kluger!!

Not discounting the A4 by any means, great car!!

Vectracious
6th June 2009, 03:14 PM
Audi.

hazrd
6th June 2009, 03:21 PM
Audi.

Aza, i think the people of OA have chosen :p

cholly
6th June 2009, 04:07 PM
audi for sure

JohnBu
8th June 2009, 11:12 AM
I hired an Audi A4 2.0TDI with CVT in europe for 2 weeks, so am similar with the car.

In short the CVT, whilst better than the older say B6 CVT, still doesn't do it for me.

Overall, a good car, however I felt it was like an european Camry, namely, while I couldn't fault it, I didn't get excited whilst driving it.

FYI, it does 215kph on freeways :)

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works- I would get an Audi A4 1.8T with 6 Speed manual over the TDI/CVT combo.

125kw with 250Nm outperforms the TDI (yes, sooty I know the TDI has more torque! haha), and being an Audi/VW engine, I'm sure has many tuning potential.

If you had the coin, I'll go this http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/AUDI/A4/details.aspx?R=7197616&keywords=audi%20a4%20B8&__Ntk=CarAll&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__D=audi%20a4%20B8&silo=1000&seot=0&__sid=119BE8F38B24&state_id=0&__N=0%201707%201622%20834%20285%20258%20287%201216&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&distance=25&Cr=3&__Ntt=audi%20a4%20B8&trecs=4

A4 2.0T 6 speed Manual (or DSG) Quattro. I like.

Same engine as my Golf GTI (i think the audi also has the same K03 turbo).

If you think you'll get bored of the CVT, you will. I'm alittle bored of DSG, but had no choice of transmission.

KID_SRi
8th June 2009, 01:29 PM
Get a VW R32 or an F6

daiflu
8th June 2009, 01:56 PM
IS250 out of the question?

Charlatan
8th June 2009, 02:28 PM
Are daytime running lights really a 'pro' when choosing a car??

aza28
8th June 2009, 04:02 PM
I hired an Audi A4 2.0TDI with CVT in europe for 2 weeks, so am similar with the car.

In short the CVT, whilst better than the older say B6 CVT, still doesn't do it for me.

Overall, a good car, however I felt it was like an european Camry, namely, while I couldn't fault it, I didn't get excited whilst driving it.

FYI, it does 215kph on freeways :)

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works- I would get an Audi A4 1.8T with 6 Speed manual over the TDI/CVT combo.

125kw with 250Nm outperforms the TDI (yes, sooty I know the TDI has more torque! haha), and being an Audi/VW engine, I'm sure has many tuning potential.

If you had the coin, I'll go this http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/AUDI/A4/details.aspx?R=7197616&keywords=audi%20a4%20B8&__Ntk=CarAll&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__D=audi%20a4%20B8&silo=1000&seot=0&__sid=119BE8F38B24&state_id=0&__N=0%201707%201622%20834%20285%20258%20287%201216&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|0&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&distance=25&Cr=3&__Ntt=audi%20a4%20B8&trecs=4

A4 2.0T 6 speed Manual (or DSG) Quattro. I like.

Same engine as my Golf GTI (i think the audi also has the same K03 turbo).

If you think you'll get bored of the CVT, you will. I'm alittle bored of DSG, but had no choice of transmission.

john, you've basically taken my own words out of my mouth. Whilst overall, a quality well built car, great turbo-diesel engine and the marriage with CVT is superb, fuel economy is astounding and the new A4 styling a winner, it drives without any passion - i was literally bored of driving it after my 20min test drive. i wasn't particularly won over by its handling either. the steering was very light for my liking - lacked road feel.

although i found they had improved the CVT, it was almost cancelled out by the noticeable turbo lag so there was a bit of hesitation from idle to around 1800rpm. not really noticeable though.

standard 16" rims were hideous as well.

in the end, and given my budget, i ended up getting the newly updated MY10 Forester which have just been released to the market - they have revised suspension, revised exhaust tips (bigger, sportier looking) and electronic rear seat 60/40 split folding seats.

The Foz had everything and more that i wanted at a very attractive price. i got a good deal as well!!! although, i gotta wait 2 mths on delivery as they didn't have any in the country in the colour i wanted

Getting the Foz will also allow me to have a bit of fun - MRT offer some very attractive power kits - with a tune and aftermarket exhaust they guarantee 30kw increase in power and 35% increase in torque. Not bad.

anyway, thanks for all the comments/suggestions, even though i seem to have ignored most of you!! :p

aza28
8th June 2009, 04:03 PM
Are LEDdaytime running lights really a 'pro' when choosing a car??

why not? :)

Vectracious
8th June 2009, 04:09 PM
The boxer is very tuneable - and now that the 2.5's have been around for a little bit, all the tuning companies have decent aftermarket stuff for them.

Interesting comments about the Audi - Audi are aiming to be the no 1 luxury brand in Australia (read it in a report with their CEO in Australia) - but one of the things that make BMW so great is the fact that they are a "drivers car". Dunno if I'd want to be paying 70K for driving around in a german Camry.

Wraith
8th June 2009, 07:27 PM
If it must be between those 2 - I too would choose the Audi, but I'm being biased because I like Audis :)

Or as Steve mentioned, if there are numerous other choices in the same price point, maybe take a 2nd look at those just in case there's something else that grabs you...

aza28
8th June 2009, 11:08 PM
i would have preferred audi - i was initially looking at the Q5 2.0 tdi but i didn't really want to spend that much on a car and insurance was twice the price among other things. Between the two, the Foz was a clear wlnner.

gman
8th June 2009, 11:15 PM
if you want an SUV, have you considered the VW Tiguan???

chrissn89
8th June 2009, 11:20 PM
i believe Aza has brought a MY10 forester turbo.

Vectracious
9th June 2009, 07:41 AM

the boot in the Tiguan is smaller than many hatchbacks and small sedans with the seats up - it was the deciding factor on why we didnt buy it over the CR-V - we might as well have kept the missuses Astra it was more practical.

aza28
9th June 2009, 09:02 AM

yes and its a VERY VERY unattractive car!

aza28
9th June 2009, 09:03 AM
i believe Aza has brought a MY10 forester turbo.

correct!! :D take delivery in about 8 weeks

Wraith
9th June 2009, 09:18 AM
Congrats ^^^^ :)

JR
9th June 2009, 09:42 AM
correct!! :D take delivery in about 8 weeks

congrats on ur new car mate :clap:
both cars r good in their own style n manner, n u've made the choice that suits u :)

enjoy ;)

gman
9th June 2009, 11:05 AM
Congrats on the new car...Subi's are a good thing... You'll love it..

Ice
9th June 2009, 05:43 PM

You and your bloody NM's :D

sooty
9th June 2009, 05:44 PM
You and your bloody NM's :D
it's all i've got...:lol:
nice pickup on the scooby Aza!

Ice
9th June 2009, 05:56 PM
The Audi would be my pic but optional extra's would kill you and after doing it to the Suuby you probably wouldnt even reach base price for the Audi in which case ide go the Suuby. My mate has the audi TDi and its a great car but he had to get rid of the 16' wheels within the week because they looked hideous. its got 18's now, with a sport pack and premium surround and Sat Nav... CNBLU has seen it.....it looks the business. But hey whatever tickles your fancy right ? you bought the Suuby so Congrats and happy driving :)

Manda88
9th June 2009, 09:20 PM
i was bout to say but too late now... what about the new rav 4 with '200 killer wasps'... heard good things about them except the interior is dull

hazrd
9th June 2009, 09:55 PM
8 weeks to wait for pics!!?!?!?!

this is gunna be hell mate :p

Spite
9th June 2009, 11:42 PM
F o r e s t e r !!!!

Mates got a forester... supposedly it's hard to find quality, well priced parts. Too much demand from the Subie market....

JohnBu
10th June 2009, 10:01 AM
Mates got a forester... supposedly it's hard to find quality, well priced parts. Too much demand from the Subie market....

doesn't make sense.

more demand = easier to find parts

gman
10th June 2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah, but with car parts it doesn;t always work that way...

Sometimes, quality parts for a popular car only come from a few places, so they charge a premium...You can get the el-cheapo parts from Zing Wa holdings, but quality isn;t always A1...

rusole21
10th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Great choise mate!

Also forget Gtrydaz.com. Its a dead site basically. Also extreamly slow!

Get yourself onto Ozfoz.com Awesome awesome awesome forum! Im on there as RussGT.

BTW dont whatever you do go to MRT. They are so incredibly overpriced! Many other places to get tuning etc done.

Also the my10 does get the boxer rumble!

Wraith
10th June 2009, 03:21 PM

Easily fixed if it dosn't anyway...just like on the new Wrx's :)

gman
10th June 2009, 03:34 PM
I loved the sound of my old STi with the Zerosports extractors fitted....

It sounded awesome, especially at 9,000+rpm... ;)

Wraith
10th June 2009, 04:01 PM
It sounded awesome, especially at 9,000+rpm... ;)

At those revs, that would sound horny...

BTW I'm in daze with your new avatar LOL :D

glider
10th June 2009, 04:08 PM
i was bout to say but too late now... what about the new rav 4 with '200 killer wasps'... heard good things about them except the interior is dull

N/A... not as many options off the bat

simmy
10th June 2009, 04:16 PM
Great choise mate!

Get yourself onto Ozfoz.com Awesome awesome awesome forum! Im on there as RussGT.

BTW dont whatever you do go to MRT. They are so incredibly overpriced! Many other places to get tuning etc done.

they are good forums, iv looked around on there a fair bit and posted a few things, they are quite helpful

im so glad you made the right choice in getting a forester! :D

definately stay clear of mrt.. i bought a bonnet scoop off of them that they said would fit the foz (its a larger wrx style), and suprise! it wasnt even the right shape...

as for people saying the interior is dull...

well....

it can look good :)

JohnBu
10th June 2009, 04:41 PM
t

well....

it can look riced up!

aza28
10th June 2009, 05:08 PM
Great choise mate!

yeh i signed up on Monday.. great site, a lot of really helpful information... its given me many ideas for mods... heheh!! you can't miss my thread, it contains a huge pic of the astra! i'll look out for you. i signed up with the same username!

$5000.00 for the XB kit - exhaust system and tune is expensive - but then again, its proven gains, tried and tested mods and they provide a quality product. not set on anything yet though, just doing a heap of research... before the car arrives

What's the difference between the MY09 and MY10 apart from the obvious stuff. is it the same engine as the new WRX sedan?

aza28
10th June 2009, 05:12 PM

yeh did look at rav 4 but wasn't interested - 4cly is gutless and 6cly wouldn't be as fuel efficient as the foz... wanted forced induction anyway :p

Wraith
10th June 2009, 05:15 PM
they are good forums, iv looked around on there a fair bit and posted a few things, they are quite helpful

definately stay clear of mrt.. i bought a bonnet scoop off of them that they said would fit the foz (its a larger wrx style), and suprise! it wasnt even the right shape...

well....

Not bad, pink Sti style highlights, just gotta watch out with the very light interior colours as they can get real dirty real quickly if it's a DD vehicle...lots of regular cleaning :)

gman
10th June 2009, 06:28 PM
My old cream and tan leather interiors (BMW and Alfa) ended up with blue stains on the drivers seat from my jeans...

Cream, white or tan leather looks great, but isn't always the most practical..

xplosv57
10th June 2009, 06:30 PM
My old cream and tan leather interiors (BMW and Alfa) ended up with blue stains on the drivers seat from my jeans...

Cream, white of tan leather looks great, but isn't always the most practical..

+1 my poor Calais drivers seat looked so second rate when i sold it, almost brown, compared to when i bought it was mickey mouse!!

Definetely the best looking but not practical at all, unless you're always in a business suit (which i never am)!!

BTW, congrats on the decision on the new Forester!!

rusole21
11th June 2009, 12:28 PM
yeh i signed up on Monday.. great site, a lot of really helpful information... its given me many ideas for mods... heheh!! you can't miss my thread, it contains a huge pic of the astra! i'll look out for you. i signed up with the same username!

$5000.00 for the XB kit - exhaust system and tune is expensive - but then again, its proven gains, tried and tested mods and they provide a quality product. not set on anything yet though, just doing a heap of research... before the car arrives

What's the difference between the MY09 and MY10 apart from the obvious stuff. is it the same engine as the new WRX sedan?
Yeah but for $5000 you can do alot more and get alot better service than MRT. Also dont go ECUTEK. Not a good product. You can have the stock ECU reflashed for half the price. When i say reflashed its not a generic tune like ECUTEK. Its a full custom dyno tune. Just read up on OZFOZ. I welcomed you in that thread you started. Check out my foz over there if your interested.

Im not sure on the motor in the foz. Pretty sure it didnt get the more powerful 09 wrx engine. Spewin!

Also i drove one of those 200kw RAV4's. Absolute peice of crap!!! So bad. Only auto to.

rusole21
11th June 2009, 12:29 PM

well....

Thats nice mate! Is that your foz? Show us pics!