PDA

View Full Version : gday from Paris

effisk
7th September 2004, 06:22 PM
hi,

I was listening to tripleJ online and visiting the radios website when I somehow landed on this forum.
I lived in Australia for 1 1/2 years, in Brisbane then Melbourne, and I travelled extensively around the country - from Sydney to Hobart to Perth - and, well... I never saw an Opel...
I mean, of course I saw Holdens, even Barinas with a big "corsa" sticker on the doors, but I never actually saw the Opel logo...
Could you shed some light on the subject? Do you guys actually own real Opels? On which side is the wheel? Do you have to import them? And well... what's the point? I'd love a Commodore or one of those nice utes you have instead of our boring sedans...

dug74
7th September 2004, 06:42 PM
Could you shed some light on the subject? Do you guys actually own real Opels? On which side is the wheel? Do you have to import them? And well... what's the point? I'd love a Commodore or one of those nice utes you have instead of our boring sedans...

1) Yes...we own real opels...built in Europe. :screwy:
2) Same Side as the Poms...Opp. side to Germany :D
3) Nope...holden import them on our behalf :lol:
4) Originality and Individualism is a good point...i guess its the same reason why germans are putting holden badges and lions on there OPELS

Degen-Astra
7th September 2004, 06:45 PM
Pssst...Same Side as the Poms...Opp. side to Germany.

aussievectra
7th September 2004, 06:52 PM
I'd love a Commodore or one of those nice utes you have instead of our boring sedans...

Holden do have them in Left hand drive. You need to look hard for an Opel here in Aus, many of the people that own them, don't care what the badges are.

effisk
7th September 2004, 06:52 PM
Opposite side to the poms :Dhuh. So basically you have a barina with an opel logo on it and the wheel to the left. :?

Originality and Individualism is a good point...i guess its the same reason why germans are putting holden badges and lions on there OPELSYes, I understand the originality and individualism thing. I'd love to own a SS ute, it'd be pretty cool down here. But what stops me, beside the hassle of having to bring the car over by ship, is the spare parts. Are the parts of a european corsa the same as those used on a barina ? if no, how expensive is it to get them shipped ?

effisk
7th September 2004, 06:55 PM
I'd love a Commodore or one of those nice utes you have instead of our boring sedans...

Holden do have them in Left hand drive. If I'd have to own one in France, I would go for the right hand drive. It's the Originality and Individualism thing :wink:

Now that I think about it, yes I have seen an opel logo. As far as I can remember, it was on a SS model, and the logo wasn't quite the opel one; it had the opel "zap", but was mixed with the chevy logo. :?

effisk
7th September 2004, 06:59 PM
Pssst...Same Side as the Poms...Opp. side to Germany.a vauxhall with the opel logo ? lol

Degen-Astra
7th September 2004, 07:01 PM
Recently Vauxhall have taken on selling the Monaro in the UK...so the Holden isnt to far from your shores! :D

dug74
7th September 2004, 07:06 PM
Recently Vauxhall have taken on selling the Monaro in the UK...so the Holden isnt to far from your shores! :D

The VXR Monaro to be exact

effisk
7th September 2004, 07:13 PM
http://wawawoum.imagesgm.free.fr/images/austr/holden/2001_ute_1.jpg

that's what I want. And I think they're not ready to import that one. I'll have to go and get it by myself :P

gaero
7th September 2004, 08:34 PM
Opposite side to the poms :Dhuh. So basically you have a barina with an opel logo on it and the wheel to the left. :?

Originality and Individualism is a good point...i guess its the same reason why germans are putting holden badges and lions on there OPELSYes, I understand the originality and individualism thing. I'd love to own a SS ute, it'd be pretty cool down here. But what stops me, beside the hassle of having to bring the car over by ship, is the spare parts. Are the parts of a european corsa the same as those used on a barina ? if no, how expensive is it to get them shipped ?

Hey welcome Francois,

probably need to understand the astra is one the highest selling cars in oz, corsas are all so up there. so the cars are not low volume imports, u cant drive 5km without seeing 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 ... the cars are main stay of oz driving culture, someone either owns one or know of someone who owns one. so parts are all taken care of.

Holden basically swaps the opel badges for theirs, we just swap the badges back to the way they were

as for the ss ute, u should check out the new models theyre much better

effisk
8th September 2004, 12:01 AM
Hi gaero

thanks for your explanations. I still have a couple of question. I'm very curious :wink:
probably need to understand the astra is one the highest selling cars in oz, corsas are all so up there. so the cars are not low volume imports, u cant drive 5km without seeing 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 ... the cars are main stay of oz driving culture, someone either owns one or know of someone who owns one. so parts are all taken care of.I drove more than 30.000km. I honestly never saw one. I saw astras and barinas, all of them with the holden logo, but never with the opel logo. I admit it wasn't really what I was focusing on when driving though.

Holden basically swaps the opel badges for theirs, we just swap the badges back to the way they wereHu, this is getting me confused. Are you just swapping badges or importing the cars?
I thought the regular Holden (Holden Astra, Barina, Commodore, etc.) cars were manufactured in Australia?

What I understand from what you say is that you ask Holden to import cars that are manufactured in Europe (I guess British cars as they are the only one with the wheel on the right), and the only difference with australian-made Holdens is the badge. This sounds bizarre, I guess I'm wrong... :?

euro_stylin
8th September 2004, 07:36 AM
welcome :D

holden imports Astra's, Corsa's (they are called Barina's here), Vectra's, Calibra's and Zafira's and puts holden badges on all of them.
not very many people rebadge them back to opel because alot of people either dont know or care.

as for commodores like the SS's they are made in australia and are 'true' aussie holdens...

Anonymous
8th September 2004, 07:43 AM
we we my new buddy from paris

effisk
8th September 2004, 07:58 AM

holden imports Astra's, Corsa's (they are called Barina's here), Vectra's, Calibra's and Zafira's and puts holden badges on all of them.
not very many people rebadge them back to opel because alot of people either dont know or care.

as for commodores like the SS's they are made in australia and are 'true' aussie holdens...Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all made in Oz. That's interesting. Do you get Holden to rebadge them for you on demand?

this is completely off topic but there seem to be some interesting links on the side (:: User Stats :: ), I clicked on one 'nominate this post' at random to see what happens (not much happened really), but the 'Fight this user!' looks very tempting :P . Are there any instructions on how this works anywhere on the forum ?

Dee
8th September 2004, 08:21 AM
welcome :) it is my doing on the JJJ site that you have come here... hi, Im donna :)

Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all made in Oz. That's interesting. Do you get Holden to rebadge them for you on demand?

nah holden imports the european built Opel's and badges them as Holdens. we buy these holdens and buy the opel badges off ebay or someone we know over in europe that can get us a good price :)

euro_stylin
8th September 2004, 08:22 AM

as for commodores like the SS's they are made in australia and are 'true' aussie holdens...Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all made in Oz. That's interesting. Do you get Holden to rebadge them for you on demand?

this is completely off topic but there seem to be some interesting links on the side (:: User Stats :: ), I clicked on one 'nominate this post' at random to see what happens (not much happened really), but the 'Fight this user!' looks very tempting :P . Are there any instructions on how this works anywhere on the forum ?

no holden dont rebadge them opel for you...you have to buy the badges and do it yourself.

effisk
8th September 2004, 05:13 PM
welcome :) it is my doing on the JJJ site that you have come here... hi, Im donna :)

Ok, thanks for clarifying this. I thought they were all made in Oz. That's interesting. Do you get Holden to rebadge them for you on demand?

nah holden imports the european built Opel's and badges them as Holdens. we buy these holdens and buy the opel badges off ebay or someone we know over in europe that can get us a good price :)Thank you all for explaining all this.