PDA

View Full Version : PowerShot SX200IS vs Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7

daiflu
3rd June 2009, 09:17 PM
Hey guys,

I thought this would be the right place to ask.
As some of you know, my photo taking skills suck.
For the last 4 years I have had a Canon PowerShot S70. It's been a great little camera, easy to use, with everything I needed (plus more).
Unfortunately it face planted the floor about a week ago. I took it in to be repaired today and the guy confirmed it was fully f**ked. The flat fee to repair is around $260, so I decided it's probably best to upgrade.
I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Canon PowerShot SX200IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7.
Just wondering if anyone has either of these units and could tell me a few pros/cons?

Cheers

poita
3rd June 2009, 09:30 PM
Im pretty sure we have both in at work mate, i will have a play tomorrow
and see wat i like/dislike.

i know i do really like the wide angle and IA mode of the panasonic, and the leica lens

daiflu
3rd June 2009, 09:32 PM
That would be great.
Thanks Pete.

Ice
4th June 2009, 11:15 AM
I know that its actually Leica branded but not necessarily a Leica lens because if it were youde be paying $2000 for it.

having said that my old man has almost the same camera and it takes amazing pictures.

I used this site for my camera and reading up on others... its really very helpfull.

http://www.dpreview.com/ just checked and they have detailed reviews for both :)

HoldenAstra
4th June 2009, 11:56 AM
go for the Canon one

Ice
4th June 2009, 12:57 PM
go for the Canon one

Well Im a canon man myself and also think on the whole Canon are the best, however the panasonic is an excellent camera. I think it really comes down to looks as they are both so evenly matched.

daiflu
4th June 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
Yea, I'm a fan of Canon after using the S70.
I really can't see a major advantage of one over the other. I quess it will come down to which I can get the best deal on.
Canon have an upgrade sceme, where if you hand in a damaged Canon camera they will give you a discount on a new one.

PaulyJ
4th June 2009, 02:19 PM
Well there you go
The good thing with Canon's is they use the same killer processor in all their cameras, so you're getting good sh*t in there

poita
4th June 2009, 05:23 PM
Well there you go
The good thing with Canon's is they use the same killer processor in all their cameras, so you're getting good sh*t in there

u mean that over rated DIG!C 4 thing :p

personally myself i would go the panasonic.

and because of canons recent episode, but i wont go into that
they've pissed me off in a big way

John_LS1
4th June 2009, 09:45 PM
i would go the canon, the last 3 canon cameras ive bought i have been very happy with. i have used friends/familys other brands and i find them to confusing or lack functions. thats possibly due to them buying low spec models?.

i currently have an IXUS 800IS and love it!. its getting old now (cost me alot of money when new) but still has way more features than alot of the new stuff coming out so i havent bothered to upgrade. the main difference with the new stuff is they are like 10 megapixels in a small camera and mine is only 6. either way i dont need massive size pics that are like 4 meg in size lol.

daiflu
5th July 2009, 01:05 PM
Went for the Canon in the end.
Both were pretty evenly matched, so I just stuck with what I knew.
Didn't bother with the trade in deal, could get a better price elsewhere.

Now I need to clean the car, so I can have a play ;)

Shay
5th July 2009, 07:25 PM
this is the first i saw of this thread,
as a reference brad mine are all from that panasonic model

HappySlapper82
5th July 2009, 09:15 PM
this is the first i saw of this thread,
as a reference brad mine are all from that panasonic model

I am using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-28 you can see my best results in my car thread

PaulyJ
6th July 2009, 02:39 PM
Both are good carmera's, don't get me wrong. These days, its pretty much comes down to personal preference.