PDA

View Full Version : Making "ramps" for cars?

NUTTTR
7th September 2004, 12:28 AM
You know how at K-mart you see those premade ones which are short and high that you drive your car up on to get good ground clearance? Know how they are always too steep to get a car up? Well, i'm planning on lowering my car more once AAMI will let me down about 40mm, so i will have trouble getting a jack under it... So, i thought of the ramps from k-mart but they'd be too steep to get up without scraping.......
Soo.......
My idea was to build a set that is a "permanent" fixture on the garage floor (not bolted down), have 2 separate ramps about 20-30cm high with "long" ramps going up to the top... Obviously have the ramps fairly wide so i can comfortably park up there every day... 20cm would be plenty i'd think, and have them "adjustable" so i can move them further apart for different cars, etc....
I was planning on making it myself, not sure tho about welding, etc and strength!!! I'd use angle iron, with LOTS of supports and checkerplate steel plates as the ramps, so it's smooth (and the tops) and bend "edges" up slightly at an angle so if i didn't go up straight i'd be able to correct it.........

Who thinks this is possible? I'm good with cutting, etc, i can always buy a drop "angle grinder" for cutting steel and a cheapo welder.... I'm not scared about doing it myself, merely about it being strong enough...

Anyone know someone who CAN make them? Anyone done this before?

Thanks!
Aaron

ultim8DTM5
7th September 2004, 10:46 AM
Draw me a picture son, I'm confused as buggery

NUTTTR
7th September 2004, 10:48 AM
lol, i'll have to!
Pretty much make the k-mart car ramps about 5m long........ and not as high :)

dazza015
7th September 2004, 11:02 AM
My Dad built some ramps for my uncles excavator the other day, (he is a boilermaker by trade) I will see what I can find out for you.

RK
7th September 2004, 11:27 AM
just put wodden planks in front of the ramps and drive up.
thats how they got my car into the tow truck (thats after i unscrewed the lower plastic lip).

or just use standard ramps, and just get 2 sheets of steel and place is on the incline.

Degen-Astra
7th September 2004, 12:32 PM
just get to large long planks of wood from a building site recycle joint.

That way you have raised it...its cost you jack...and easily removed...should you need to..you can angle the ends to ease the travel up on to them.

This way you have enough clearance to get the jack under there.

OzzySRi
7th September 2004, 05:37 PM
^^^ railway sleepers. i was thinkin along those lines

or u can drive one wheel up onto a block of wood then u can get the jack under