PDA

View Full Version : WTCC Cruze Safety Car Hit!

MatsHolden
27th May 2009, 07:25 PM
Check this out... The driver of the Cruze safety car needs to really think "what the **** was I thinking?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYO4yPmf5AI&feature=related

Hoya
27th May 2009, 07:32 PM
i bet everyone watching that live must of been:

LOL, stupid GM, bmw looses a wheel and drives but the daewoo wont!

tomtom
27th May 2009, 08:01 PM
i cant imagine how awwwwkwardd it will be for the SC if he keeps his job.

http://iamcarter.com/2008/07/07/awkward-s500x352-2987-580.jpg

delemonte
27th May 2009, 11:43 PM
He's certainly not gonna be Mr popular! :o

It really was a pretty stupid move... Probably easy to do when you think about it, but definitely could have been avoided. Ah well....

Neeko
28th May 2009, 12:07 AM
fail :clap:

ChrisMaz
28th May 2009, 12:09 AM
Why the hell would you have a Daewoo as a SAFETY car in the first place....

JR
28th May 2009, 12:30 PM
i'm not in favor of the stupidity of the SC driver, but surely the driver of the bmw would've seen the safety flags up, well in advance. its not like he didn't see it coming....surely.

sooty
28th May 2009, 01:21 PM
i'm not in favor of the stupidity of the SC driver, but surely the driver of the bmw would've seen the safety flags up, well in advance. its not like he didn't see it coming....surely.
+1, and he doesn't even try and brake til the last minute, you can see him try and swerve around him.

delemonte
28th May 2009, 02:58 PM
It's a pretty nasty blindspot-merge really. As I said, it would be pretty easy to do, but the SC did pull out extremely wide. I guess it's debatable whether or not he knew that the oncoming traffic was travelling as close or as fast as they were.

Manda88
28th May 2009, 03:08 PM

cheap for situations like this ;)

USC
28th May 2009, 04:05 PM
cheap for situations like this ;)

The cruze has a 5 star crash rating.

JR
28th May 2009, 04:23 PM
+1, and he doesn't even try and brake til the last minute, you can see him try and swerve around him.

yup....he only braked at the very last minute. u can clearly see it in the clip when the brake lights come on. i bet u he was trying to get infront of the SC so he doesn't get caught behind it. too bad his plan backfired when the SC purposely cut across so no one can get past.
race car drivers fault.

i wouldn't call that a blind spot. once the yellow flags r out, u need to treat every corner as a blind spot.
wat if that was another race car on its side (spun out of control n engine cut out), in the middle of the road - r people gonna blame him cause the "bmw driver" crashed into him?!?!?!
surely hope not.

MatsHolden
28th May 2009, 06:00 PM
If you notice the pit lane exit line that's in place to prevent this very incident... If the safety car had've kept within that and made a gradual merge then incident avoided.

Neeko
28th May 2009, 06:16 PM
If you notice the pit lane exit line that's in place to prevent this very incident... If the safety car had've kept within that and made a gradual merge then incident avoided.

thats what i thought too, instead of sweeping right onto the track.

mania
28th May 2009, 06:22 PM
Few more comments on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_car#Other_motorsport), apparently it didn't have approval to go out - and definitely shouldn't have cut right across the track as it did.

sooty
28th May 2009, 06:26 PM
If he had no chance to stop(as he states), then he's got the worst reaction times of any race car driver i've seen in a long time.

MatsHolden
28th May 2009, 06:26 PM
Few more comments on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_car#Other_motorsport), apparently it didn't have approval to go out - and definitely shouldn't have cut right across the track as it did.

Well there you go...

And those saying that it was the race drivers fault and that he didn't apply the brakes until the very last second and rather tried to swerve around... The swerve was actually the correct decission, because once he slams on the brakes, he's got a one way ticket straight ahead...

It's easy to be experts from the sidelines... different story when you're behind the wheel.

DEE-80Y
28th May 2009, 06:53 PM

Because everything can beat it :D

So they use something that would slow the other cars down.

xplosv57
28th May 2009, 07:04 PM
So did they bring out a safety car for the safety car???

I vaguely remember years back at Bathurst when someone (thinking Skaifey) either ran up the arse or almost hit the safety car, but i could be wrong!!

xplosv57
28th May 2009, 07:05 PM
Also those girls at 2:01 look awfully concerned, wish i'd been there to offer comfort.........

Neeko
28th May 2009, 07:08 PM
Also those girls at 2:01 look awfully concerned, wish i'd been there to offer comfort.........

ha ha they do to! all got their hands crossed fiddling

xplosv57
28th May 2009, 07:09 PM
If he had no chance to stop(as he states), then he's got the worst reaction times of any race car driver i've seen in a long time.

At 4:28 they show the replay in real time, i'd say it's a lot quicker reaction that you'd think!! Also i think the BMW expected the Daewoo to turn back out the way if you watch the BMW's movements!!!

sooty
28th May 2009, 08:09 PM
At 4:28 they show the replay in real time, i'd say it's a lot quicker reaction that you'd think!! Also i think the BMW expected the Daewoo to turn back out the way if you watch the BMW's movements!!!
Yeah that's fair...i'd only watched the first 3mins before that...didn't realise they were slowed down that much. At the speed he was going there was pretty much nothing he could do.

dieselhead
28th May 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh, what an epic fail! I love the commentator, he is bloody funny. Anyone that speaks Hungarian would confirm :)

SIMid
28th May 2009, 10:39 PM
5 star crash rating??

I dont think the door is suppose to open with that kind of impact?? :confused:

Neeko
29th May 2009, 08:53 AM
5 star crash rating??

I dont think the door is suppose to open with that kind of impact?? :confused:

i think it didnt have much choice but to open, keep in mind it tore the BMWs wheel off

MitchSRi
30th May 2009, 11:07 PM
5 star crash rating??

I dont think the door is suppose to open with that kind of impact?? :confused: Exactly what my thoughts were..

How the frig can a door open like that on a 5 star safe vehicle?!?!?

Shoddy if you ask me!