sooty
25th May 2009, 04:19 PM
gotta be a member to view it (N)

Calibrated
25th May 2009, 04:25 PM
gotta be a member to view it (N)

poita
25th May 2009, 04:32 PM
yer defin worth joining ain, there is a few familiar names on there too ;)

Apex
26th May 2009, 11:38 AM
So cool.

A mate of mine and a member on here EVLOPL is embarking on a similar project in Auckland, he just picked up a NZ new Vauxhall Astra GSI. The car was apparently sent to NZ via Australia where it was o show back in the day.

poita
26th May 2009, 10:30 PM
Apex, please tell him it is a requirement of his membership he must show us!! lol

Apex
27th May 2009, 07:05 AM
I hope he doesnt mind, he is into his 90's Opels so doesnt spend much time round here :D

Well its got no makers badges apart from lightning bolt hub cap centres and 'GTE 16v' badging and its made in Germany according to the VIN. So it is a Kadette GSi but it carries the Vauxhall GTE model name (theres no difference between these models except that one is UK assembled).
This little car doesn't know what it wants to be! It arrived in Napier in 1991, 2 years after it was made and has remained in Napier for 18 years, until now!

Engine: 20XE 'redtop' 2000cc 16v with DECAT from the factory so retains 160Hp and 200Nm.
Gearbox: ZF F20 close ratio 5 Spd, (more box than the car will ever need)
Brakes: Vectra discs all round (over braked)
Interior: RECARO buckets with DIGITAL DASH LOL (will get pics of dash and motor later)
Kerb weight: 1000Kg (usually closer to 940Kg when corner weighted)

How does it drive?
These car's chassis are described as not being able to handle the power so I expected it to be snappy and bad mannered like the over powered hatch back that it is, but I was pleasantly surprised, even with shit tires I could feel that the car was letting go rather naturally, no snap over steer like I expected.
The stock suspension is not up to the punishment that the motor delivers but nothing that a good set of springs, shocks and front/rear strut braces won't fix, the motor is also placed a little too far over the front axel as it's been squeezed into an engine bay designed for a 1400cc 8v so weight balance isn't all that flash, but it's fun over sensibility that this cars all about.
Talking about fun, the SS was actually having trouble trying to stay with the Kadett at some stages, especially on take off, the Kadett really excels in this area, probably due to the torque/weight ratio. Through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear from standstill the 5700cc SS had no hope in hell of catching the lil' beastie, even up hill!
The SS would probably pass the Kadett during 4th gear but at the end of third gear the car is already knocking on the door of loss of license territory so this cannot be substantiated.
Body wise, there are a couple of patches of deep rust under the rear wing and some stone chip rust spots, these can be mended easily. The rest of the body is totally sound, even the sun roof area is rust free.
Mechanically the motor is just fine, no noises, smooth idle and responsive power. The motor will need a good service and a set of engine mounts, but the 150,000Km that it's covered is just broken in for these motors. Gearbox changes smoothly, but the clutch will need doing in a few months, no surprises as these boxes are really tough!

Pics:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/chadbad/Astra1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/chadbad/Astra2.jpg

Plans for the future:
We will be trying to keep the body and interior original, but the paint job will be touched up and livery will be added to create a 'John Cleland' Astra GTE replica from the early days of BTCC before GM decided that the Vectra was more consistent on the handling front and more 'sensible'.

The Astra's and Kadett's were instead used rather successfully in 2000cc FWD rally events, where the tail happy hatch backs excelled on loose surfaces. To this day you will find EU rally stages crawling with Kadette GSi's.

The inspiration:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/chadbad/cleland_astra_90b.jpg

Wraith
27th May 2009, 08:48 AM
Nice classic ^^^^^^ :)