PDA

View Full Version : Got a spare US $20,000 for these?

hazrd
24th May 2009, 05:48 PM
:yikes:

http://www.thewheelwizard.com.au/gossip.aspx

WHEEL NEWS | MARCH 2008

Check out these very different-looking wheels. As you can see, they're clear -no spokes!

Forgiato/Radurra is the company that makes these transparent wheels, (Radurra means 'clear' in Italian). Instead of using metal spokes, this new wheel uses a large clear poly carbonate disc that's chemically hard coated.

It looks like a large glass disc, only much stronger. I reckon the brake dust may show up on these babies. Also you would have to wonder how the disc’s would fare with little to no cooling.

The companies workshop where the rims are made is in California. Available in 20 and 22 inch they are forged in 6061 aluminium hoops and are quite expensive at around $20,000.00 US per set.

These wheels have been put through SAE testing. They are fully certified and have passed impact, cornering and radial tests as far as we understand.

These wheels were launched at the
2006 SEMA show and were apparently quite popular.
http://www.thewheelwizard.com.au/images/wheel-gossip-pics.jpg

personally, i dont really like em, but kudos for a different design.. good for someone with really big and expensive brakes lol

xplosv57
24th May 2009, 05:50 PM
Good if you have big arse brakes, but like the article says, how are they gonna get any cooling??

hazrd
24th May 2009, 05:53 PM
br0t3k

drill some holes :D

xplosv57
24th May 2009, 05:55 PM
LOL yeah, have crack effect cross drilled rimz, hectik!!!

Well now that i've sold the Calais, maybe i'll buy a set of 22's of these rims for the Excel!!!

tomtom
24th May 2009, 06:58 PM
Saw these ages ago when I was designing the Ozzy Tyres website. Had all these wheel catalogs on my desk at the time and I saw these and shat brix.

They sure are interesting. I wouldn't get them tho... just too farrrr out for me.

sooty
24th May 2009, 07:38 PM
They would look sick on my VR with no rear springs ule?

ASTRAY
24th May 2009, 08:08 PM
be no good for you ain, you wouldnt be able to have your tractor running while parked, the exaust would dirty the rims quicker than the brake dust :D

Wraith
25th May 2009, 09:01 AM
They've been around for a while...:)

One con is that you have to remove them off the car whenever you want to clean them up, the brake dust will show pretty badly...

I posted up about full carbon fibre wheels sometime last year that actually make those above quite cheap...these things cost something like 12-15k USD for each rim :eek:

poita
25th May 2009, 09:15 AM
i did have a coupla pics of a black cally with a set of these on
cant find em now

Brazza
25th May 2009, 09:55 AM
I remember seeing these a while back in some magazine and I reckon the effect is sorta cool but it doesn't beat a nice alloy design IMO, especially not for the cost.

Also, I know that these have been fully tested for strength and all that but if I had a pair of these on my car I think I'd always be haunted by the feeling that a decent bump in the road is going to crack them.

Wraith
25th May 2009, 12:42 PM
I reckon the effect is sorta cool but it doesn't beat a nice alloy design IMO, especially not for the cost.

Totally agree - actually remember thinking exactly the same the 1st time I came across them... ;)

You simply connot beat a nice set of 'normal' alloys, ie: right design/style and right colour combination for a particular vehicle and the cost of them these days (except for custom made) is very affordable :)

CDXIJET
25th May 2009, 03:06 PM
Well yeah there always has to be something different apart from everything else on the market available ,I'd be scared to have these like Brazza said a descent bump in the road and you may crack them .

Also would that clear poly carbonate disc be scratch proof because I'd hate to fork out all that dosch only to have a giant rock flick up from a truck and scratch the clear disc or something else to hit it .

Good for the rich boys with expensive toys that want to show off ...

noobie
25th May 2009, 04:14 PM
Put your pet mice in them and watch the fookers run!! :p

ASTRAY
25th May 2009, 05:43 PM
Put your pet mice in them and watch the fookers run!! :p
:D that would be a sight to see!

boosted_astra
25th May 2009, 06:18 PM
very true