PDA

View Full Version : G'day from John

JohnL
22nd May 2009, 09:20 PM
I've just traded my VY LS1 Commodore for a new AH9 CDTI Astra manual.

I've enjoyed your forum and hope to participate with the diesel cheer squad.

I'm a grey-headed bloke who has been playing with V8s for a long time and GM Delco computer tuning long enough to be dangerous, but I've bought the Little Belgian Oiler to assuage my carbon guilt.

When I accumulate enough eco-credits, I'll go for a drive in one of my alternatives with small block Chev power ;).

Cheers,

John

hazrd
22nd May 2009, 09:22 PM
hey john. welcome to the forum

theres a couple of oiler guys on here... they will love to mingle with u :p
where u from?

post up some pics of it..... and maybe ur chev too ;)

sooty
22nd May 2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome mate...as stated, where you from? Post up some pics if you get the chance.

poita
22nd May 2009, 09:27 PM
welcome john
good to see another tractor diesel astra owner.

if want to know any ask sooty or dieselhead about these things.

and yes pop up some pics :)

delemonte
22nd May 2009, 11:30 PM
G'day, and welcome ;)

Good luck with those eco-credits :p

chrissn89
23rd May 2009, 01:02 AM
Welcome John :)

Hoya
23rd May 2009, 02:45 AM
welcome to tractor ASTRA paradise

Shay
23rd May 2009, 04:18 AM
g'day

tomburke7
23rd May 2009, 08:53 AM
I've just traded my VY LS1 Commodore for a new AH9 CDTI Astra manual.

When I accumulate enough eco-credits, I'll go for a drive in one of my alternatives with small block Chev power ;).

Cheers,

John

So you don't think a small block chev will fit in the front of your Astra?
(they seem to be able to shoehorn the little chev into almost every other type of car)

http://www.northwestoffroad.com/images/parts/36F03-chev-v8install.jpg

9090GO
23rd May 2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the site mate.

astragsi4x4
23rd May 2009, 02:21 PM
(they seem to be able to shoehorn the little chev into almost every other type of car)

there is a guy fitting one in an astra g, well fitted it now. hiya john

Shay
23rd May 2009, 03:06 PM

dont bother with that, just put in a LS1, its been done before...

JohnL
24th May 2009, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the welcomes. I'll put up some pics of the various mechanical contraptions as soon as I get a chance.

And LS1 in the Astra? I'm trying to go cold turkey on those engines :D.

John

hazrd
24th May 2009, 05:12 PM
And LS1 in the Astra? I'm trying to go cold turkey on those engines :D.
John

use more oil than a diesel :p

tomburke7
24th May 2009, 07:04 PM
use more oil than a diesel :p

that depends on how you do the valve guides.

cdti
24th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Welcome John.

I'm almost just around the corner - Winston Hills. The little oiler will amaze you on how much speed vs fuel you can get out of a car. You may get more speed out of the crummydore, but it'll cost you more than twice in fuel.

JohnL
24th May 2009, 09:48 PM
use more oil than a diesel :pYou hear that a lot about the early ones- I think they had low piston ring tension to reduce friction, but the downside was a love for oil.

Mine used absolutely no oil between changes - 10,000 km if I wasn't kind to it. They are brilliant engines really- mine was good for 13.4 s at 105 mph at the strip with only a tune, a bigger MAF pipe and some stormwater pipe into the air box:).

More cold air = more better. Should do this to the Astra.

John

JohnL
24th May 2009, 09:51 PM
...You may get more speed out of the crummydore, but it'll cost you more than twice in fuel.That's true on both counts :p. What is surprising in the CDTI is the grunt it's got from say 1800 rpm in 6th when you squeeze the throttle to overtake. At that point it's stronger than the LS1. At that point only though, because when the diesel is starting to strangle at 4500 rpm the LS1 is just about to start taking deep breaths...

Anyway, there's a lot to like about the sort of machine the diesel is.

John

sooty
24th May 2009, 09:57 PM
At that point only though, because when the diesel is starting to strangle at 4500 rpm the LS1 is just about to start taking deep breaths...
There's one easy way to fix that, and make it quicker to 100 than the old LS1;)

CDXIJET
25th May 2009, 03:10 PM
Welcome John.

I'm almost just around the corner - Winston Hills. The little oiler will amaze you on how much speed vs fuel you can get out of a car. You may get more speed out of the crummydore, but it'll cost you more than twice in fuel.

Welcome aboard John ,

Yeah I hear you about the LS1 they are an awesome engine and I did have a VL turbo that guzzled ,I am now driving an Astra as well and yeah the fuel economy compared to the VL and LS1 = more money left over after pay day for me .....:D

xplosv57
25th May 2009, 05:40 PM
You hear that a lot about the early ones- I think they had low piston ring tension to reduce friction, but the downside was a love for oil.

Mine used absolutely no oil between changes - 10,000 km if I wasn't kind to it. They are brilliant engines really- mine was good for 13.4 s at 105 mph at the strip with only a tune, a bigger MAF pipe and some stormwater pipe into the air box:).

More cold air = more better. Should do this to the Astra.

John

Sounds identical to my LS1, no oil burning, and 13.4 1/4, but me also has sold the V8 (and cold turkey is damn hard), but a diesel is a great option, especially with a tuning box, which i'm sure you'll hear about somewhere on Opelaus!!

John_LS1
26th May 2009, 12:08 AM
welcome mate, ive just done the opposite to you. sold my astra and I am now back in an LS1. you will miss the note of the V8 tho hehe

both LS1's ive owned dont burn oil and neither does my mates VZ calais LS1.