PDA

View Full Version : Water in cabin - Arrrrgh!

mintaka
22nd May 2009, 09:02 PM
G'day Gents and She-Gents,

Has anyone had large amounts of water pooling on the floor of their AH Astra's?

This is the second time after a big rain storm that a puddle 50 mm deep formed on the front passenger seat floor and the floor on the seat behind. I've tripled checked and the windows were up, the seats are not wet, there is no sign of water coming from the doors or the ceiling. :eek:

Going to Holden on Wednesday to try and find out what is going on, just wondered if anyone here had experienced something similar.

Cheers.

Mintaka
AH Astra 06, CDTi, Manual, Black, Soggy.:cryin:

AH08
22nd May 2009, 09:10 PM
Think I read somewhere that the water runs down the inside of the doors, down the speaker wires and out around thru the speaker.

mintaka
22nd May 2009, 09:13 PM
Had a good look around all the door bits, didn't see any water near or around the speaker.

That said, it will be an area I keep an eye on.

Ta for that.

Mintaka

sooty
22nd May 2009, 09:19 PM
when the water runs off the windscreen, it runs down the inside of the quarter panel somewhere and exits at the base of the quarterpanel...somehow it sounds like yours isn't making it down to the base of where the front of the sideskirt sits, but is instead being redirected inside the car :confused:
Try grabbing a jug of water, and just pouring some down the windscreen in the drivers side lower corner...see if it ends up in your footwell.
my only idea..

hazrd
22nd May 2009, 09:19 PM
keep us all posted on this one mate... im interested to know what may be causing it to leak thru!

mintaka
22nd May 2009, 09:47 PM
when the water runs off the windscreen, it runs down the inside of the quarter panel somewhere and exits at the base of the quarterpanel...somehow it sounds like yours isn't making it down to the base of where the front of the sideskirt sits, but is instead being redirected inside the car :confused:
Try grabbing a jug of water, and just pouring some down the windscreen in the drivers side lower corner...see if it ends up in your footwell.
my only idea..

Are you sure you don't mean the passengers lower side as that's were the leak is? Or are you saying that the water could be traveling from the drivers side to the passengers side?

Either way, thanks heaps for the tip:thumbs:. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Mintaka

sooty
22nd May 2009, 09:50 PM
Are you sure you don't mean the passengers lower side as that's were the leak is? Or are you saying that the water could be traveling from the drivers side to the passengers side?

Either way, thanks heaps for the tip:thumbs:. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Mintaka
Sorry if it's leaking passenger side, then yeah, try pouring it on the windscreen on the passenger side near the bottom....
Just assumed it was driver's side for some reason:confused:

mintaka
22nd May 2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry if it's leaking passenger side, then yeah, try pouring it on the windscreen on the passenger side near the bottom....
Just assumed it was driver's side for some reason:confused:

Thought as much. Again, thanks for the tip

Mintaka

USC
22nd May 2009, 10:23 PM
have u had your windscreen replaced at some stage? check door seals.
your heater core may also be leaking but it would be coolant (and not water).

Greg K
23rd May 2009, 06:02 PM
my missus had this problem happen to her on her previous Vectra. The problem was that when the car was parked nose up in a driveway and there was a massive downpour, the water would collect in between the windscreen and the bonnet. Im not sure on the Astra AH's, but the Vectra had a hole for the water to escape under all the plastic covering under the bonnet. When the car was parked with the nose up on the driveway (a fairly steep incline mind you) the water would travel on the inside of the firewall and soak the carpet (passenger side only)... our fix was to not park the car on a steep incline in heavy rain.

was your car parked on an incline when this happened??

Manda88
23rd May 2009, 11:56 PM
or park in reverse maybe if this is the case :p... i doubt this is it but just check if your foot well air con vents have any sign of water in them perhaps:confused: i know its meant to be a closed line but maybe some thing gone wrong on passenger sides line

mintaka
24th May 2009, 05:24 PM
my missus had this problem happen to her on her previous Vectra. The problem was that when the car was parked nose up in a driveway and there was a massive downpour, the water would collect in between the windscreen and the bonnet. Im not sure on the Astra AH's, but the Vectra had a hole for the water to escape under all the plastic covering under the bonnet. When the car was parked with the nose up on the driveway (a fairly steep incline mind you) the water would travel on the inside of the firewall and soak the carpet (passenger side only)... our fix was to not park the car on a steep incline in heavy rain.

was your car parked on an incline when this happened??

As it happens, it was parked on a incline. My driveway has about a something like a 10 degree incline. Enough that all the water initially pools in the rear passengers footwell.

Your explanation makes sense to me, as the Astra has sat in normal rain and never had any sign of water in the cab.

Something to watch out for if Holden claim they can't find anything wrong.

Cheers.

Mintaka

mintaka
24th May 2009, 05:25 PM
or park in reverse maybe if this is the case :p... i doubt this is it but just check if your foot well air con vents have any sign of water in them perhaps:confused: i know its meant to be a closed line but maybe some thing gone wrong on passenger sides line

Arrgh, the thought of reversing UP my driveway gives me the horrors:yikes:. I think I would do far more damage to the car then the rain!

mintaka
24th May 2009, 05:30 PM
have u had your windscreen replaced at some stage? check door seals.
your heater core may also be leaking but it would be coolant (and not water).

No, windscreen is original. Went over the door seals very carefully, all well there.

Wouldn't be able to tell if it was heater coolant from the colour, as all I get is wet carpets, but I reckon the smell would give it away:cool:

Thanks for the ideas.

Mintaka

Greg K
25th May 2009, 08:19 AM
As it happens, it was parked on a incline. My driveway has about a something like a 10 degree incline. Enough that all the water initially pools in the rear passengers footwell.

Your explanation makes sense to me, as the Astra has sat in normal rain and never had any sign of water in the cab.

Something to watch out for if Holden claim they can't find anything wrong.

Cheers.

Mintaka

yeah it stumped me for a while, trying to figure out why the carpet was soaked, and the door trims, seats, dash were bone dry... if you remove the plastic covers under the bonnet, you will prob find the cause of it.

If you didnt want to reverse up your driveway, you could always put a cover over the car if it looks like its going to rain...

i wonder if other Astra owners know this can happen??

rjastra
25th May 2009, 12:33 PM
Did you say if you had a sunroof????

Greg K
25th May 2009, 02:04 PM

i doubt it mate, as only the carpet was wet... ie seats, door trims, dash were dry... but its a question that hasnt been asked, so could be plausible... hmmm

rjastra
25th May 2009, 02:35 PM
i doubt it mate, as only the carpet was wet... ie seats, door trims, dash were dry... but its a question that hasnt been asked, so could be plausible... hmmm

A mate just had the exact issue in his RAV4 with sunroof. The drain hole was blocked. So the water overflowed into the headlining then ran down the a pillar into the passenger footwell. No wet seats!

mintaka
25th May 2009, 06:05 PM

No, I loath the idea of sunroofs, why cut a hole in one of the major structural parts of the car? And they are a great way to leak water. (Could also have something to do with me being a bald as a billiard ball and not fancying the idea of getting sunburn :eek:)

Cheers.

Mintaka

PS - No disrespect to those of you who have sunroofs.

mintaka
27th May 2009, 05:18 PM
G'day All,

Just got back from Holden, they said it was a door seal! Seems the water isn't coming into the cabin and then dripping on the carpets, but running underneath the carpets via the sill rail.

Mmmm, still, they are going to replace the seal (part ordered, take a few days to get here)

Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Cheers.

Mintaka

mintaka
3rd June 2009, 07:32 PM
G'day All,

Just an updated. Had the door seal replaced, no real way of knowing if it will fix things until the next big rain storm.

But I thought that they had knocked something loose as I was hearing a strange metallic rattling sound on the rough parts of the road back. Turns out they hadn't closed the bonnet properly! And to think I drove the best part of 70 km's with it like that.

Mintaka.

corrie
4th September 2010, 02:45 AM
G'day All,

Just an updated. Had the door seal replaced, no real way of knowing if it will fix things until the next big rain storm.

But I thought that they had knocked something loose as I was hearing a strange metallic rattling sound on the rough parts of the road back. Turns out they hadn't closed the bonnet properly! And to think I drove the best part of 70 km's with it like that.

Mintaka.

Hello, I know this was posted a long time ago but did your leak get fixed? Leak may have come from the boot. I wonder if the compartment where the spare tyre is filled with water?

greeny
4th September 2010, 11:55 AM
hey guys i got a leak on my front passenger side too

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af306/greeny-123/DSC_0890.jpg

guy 27
4th September 2010, 12:33 PM
hey guys i got a leak on my front passenger side too

Looks like that would be coming out through the drain hole on the door. Check the seal on the bottom of the window is sitting tight.

greeny
4th September 2010, 12:49 PM
yeah just had a look then and the was water coming from one of the screws where the door trim is at the bottom of the door have a look at it later today

where the door trim meats the metal of the door it was dripping from there

gravy258
2nd June 2013, 04:53 PM
my Astra CDTI had the drives side sill full of water after 35mm of rain on friday, it sounded awesome, like slopping around in a dinghy.
Took all of five minutes to find the cause,
where the water drains from the windscreen and under the wiper mechanism theres are drains to the inner wheel arches. Inside the inner arch plastic cover was enough dirt to pot a plant, water had ran over this and filled the sill up. And soaked the back footwell. Luckily the sill has heaps of drain plugs in it.