PDA

View Full Version : Holden set to abandon Astra

J
19th May 2009, 01:01 PM
Not surprising, perhaps:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62948&vf=12

Holden set to abandon Astra
Toby Hagon, drive.com.au, May 19, 2009

Holden has all but officially confirmed it will ditch the European-built Astra small car from its local line-up. By TOBY HAGON.

Holden has all but waved goodbye to the Astra small car, admitting that unfavourable exchange rates mean it’s unlikely the 22-year-old nameplate will continue beyond the hundreds of cars waiting to be sold.

The announcement comes after Drive’s exclusive revelation that Holden had instructed dealers to cease ordering the small car that’s consistently been Holden’s second biggest seller behind the locally made Commodore.

The move to drop Astra from the Australian lineup car means Holden will be without a small hatchback for at least a year. It will also miss out on the sleek new Astra that goes on sale in Europe in 2009.

The just-released Holden Cruze small car will initially arrive only as a sedan, effectively replacing the Viva and Astra ranges before it is built locally next year.

“Astra’s been a great car for us … but the reality is … we have to do what we have to do to get profitable in the marketplace,” said Holden marketing director Alan Batey. “We’re not going to build cars here to make a loss.”

“Your marketing dollars can only go so far. We had a Viva in a sedan, hatchback and wagon. We had an Astra hatchback, coupe, twin-top, sedan and wagon.

“Half of our problem was proliferation.”

Asked if Astra was unlikely to continue in Australia, Batey said: “in the environment we’re in today the answer’s yes”.

Batey said the Cruze was crucial for the success of Holden.

“150 per cent of our focus is on launching this car (Cruze).”

Holden will begin building a localised version of the Cruze alongside the Commodore from 2010.

Holden has more than a month’s stock of Astras still to sell, but most were built in 2008 and are being sold at a discount to the recommended retail price.

“They were bought in before the (foreign exchange) rate turned,” said Batey.

GreyRex
19th May 2009, 01:09 PM
How surprising...

sooty
19th May 2009, 01:25 PM
and then, there were no euro holdens....

noobie
19th May 2009, 01:50 PM
So no Astra which is the second most popular car behind the commodore, so instead they are going to offer absolute shitboxes that were and never will be popular or well made.

Cocks.

btm
19th May 2009, 01:58 PM
need to save money - plain and simple

noobie
19th May 2009, 02:00 PM
need to save money - plain and simple

Yeah, but jesus, it's going to be hard to save money when they won't be making any :p

rjastra
19th May 2009, 02:29 PM
The Cruze is the same chassis and engines and similar interior to the new Astra at a competitive price.

HoldenAstra
19th May 2009, 03:06 PM
The problem is the Cruze orgins from Korea:D

Keep'emRunning
19th May 2009, 03:30 PM

no wonder holden is going under...they're hiring market & sales staff who can't comprehend basic math :D

sooty
19th May 2009, 03:40 PM

no wonder holden is going under...they're hiring market & sales staff who can't comprehend basic math :D
that made me :lol:

USC
19th May 2009, 09:55 PM
I saw a white Holden Cruze on warrigal road near chadstone yesterday...probably being tested by a holden employee. to be honest, it looks like a Hyundai...not my cup of tea.

Holden, you need to learn from Ford..DROP ALL THE KOREAN CRAP!! ONLY CRAP COMES from Asia (not being racist here), except for some Japanese cars.

Jerram
19th May 2009, 09:59 PM
well I'll use this article to legitimately jack up the price of my car when I sell it.

something like

"One of the great imported cars from Opel in Germany. Even with age, the build quality surpasses that of the cheaper korean imports Holden is selling today"

lol this is a bit bs by the way considering how much crap goes wrong with Vectra B and Astra Gs...

ASTRAY
19th May 2009, 10:07 PM
well, there is one good thing with all this, they wont be selling some gaeloo model badged as an astra.

i never thought there would come a time where a hyundai would be a better option than a holden.

Hoya
19th May 2009, 10:08 PM
mmmm
i guess ill just get a private import Mk6 VXR when it comes out! :)

or ill just buy VW

Hoss
19th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Call me a heretic, but perhaps a Ford Focus XR5

Nurb608
19th May 2009, 10:46 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if ford considers going down the same path. Unfortunatelly holden currently makes stuff all off selling an Astra, it's all made up in the "upgrades" and servicing. If a deal could be struck where holden could import the astra at a lower cost they would probably keep them however I don't think that will ever happen and we are still waiting to see what happens with Opel itself. This is what happens when a company imports another car from another company that only shares a parent company, simple economics for each company as they are set up as seperate entitys (however you spell it) and have to work to their own budgets.

ToeCutter
19th May 2009, 11:35 PM
Holden is GM most profitable arm (go figure?) and Opel looks after itself...on the other hand, Chevrolet is all but dead in the water and this Cruze thing was one of the rocks around its neck. The Commodore has higher sales due to Government and Fleet sales...so, basically, Holden is dropping its most popular private seller in favour of the Korean Krap that helped make Chev the joke they are today...nice one Holden. Looks like we will all be driving German built Fords or, save up for VW's!

Nurb608
19th May 2009, 11:43 PM
As much as i like the VW's, they are a bit too "Hitler" for my liking, even after this long. I'm just gonna sit back and see what unfolds, not buyin another car for 3 years anyway, lol

poita
19th May 2009, 11:52 PM
Rory,
read this
http://hnn.us/articles/37935.html

then this
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Fascism/Hitler's_Carmaker_GM.html

then look in your driveway ;)

Nurb608
20th May 2009, 12:00 AM
Rory,
read this
http://hnn.us/articles/37935.html

then this
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Fascism/Hitler's_Carmaker_GM.html

then look in your driveway ;)

oh, i hate you, too much reading at this time of night after sooooo many beers, lol

poita
20th May 2009, 12:04 AM
i will summarise for you

This documentation and other evidence reveals that GM and Opel were eager, willing and indispensable cogs in the Third Reich´s rearmament juggernaut, a rearmament that, as many feared during the 1930s would enable Hitler to conquer Europe and destroy millions of lives.

Hoya
20th May 2009, 12:06 AM
i will summarise for you
great now i know why i have less friends!
its cause i bought the god damn opel hitler astra car

Nurb608
20th May 2009, 12:17 AM
lol, is that why i hate dew in the morning and my gas bill is so high? :p

poita
20th May 2009, 12:26 AM
i shouldnt be laughing at that, but i am

Nurb608
20th May 2009, 12:40 AM
don't tell admin, i'll be banned :p

I gotta stay off here when i'm drinkin lol

ChrisMaz
20th May 2009, 12:52 AM
lol, is that why i hate dew in the morning and my gas bill is so high? :p

Classic :D

rjastra
20th May 2009, 08:04 AM
Cruze pricing...

2009 Holden Cruze range pricing:
CD 1.8 $20,990
CD 1.8 (a) $23,290
CD 2.0 Diesel $23,990
CD 2.0 Diesel (a) $25,990
CDX 1.8 $23,990
CDX 1.8 (a) $25,990

And you wonder why they ditched the Astra?

Wraith
20th May 2009, 09:34 AM
Cruze pricing...

2009 Holden Cruze range pricing:
CD 1.8 $20,990
CD 1.8 (a) $23,290
CD 2.0 Diesel $23,990
CD 2.0 Diesel (a) $25,990
CDX 1.8 $23,990
CDX 1.8 (a) $25,990

And you wonder why they ditched the Astra?

A good freind of mine purchased one of these last weekend...

Don't know all the details about it, but as soon as she takes delivery, I'll let you know what it's like :)

Red AH SRI T
20th May 2009, 10:29 AM
The first drive reports of the Cruze have just started coming out on www.drive.com.au and www.caradvice.com.au and so far things seem good.

kabel
20th May 2009, 09:29 PM
mmmm
i guess ill just get a private import Mk6 VXR when it comes out! :)

or ill just buy VW
+1
VW GTiR or Audi RS 3 or BMW 135i or Nissan 370Z..dissapointing really
but that is business I guess.
I have told my girlfriend her VXR will be traded when I want a new car and she will have my VXR.
Cannot see myself staying with HSV as a Commodore is too big for my needs.
Insignia VXR will be on my list is HSV do import this model but given the current economic climate doubt that will materialise either.

Vectracious
20th May 2009, 11:54 PM
<25K for what seems to be a decent sized small car with 5 star NCAP and 6 speed auto's....

Holden is doing what it takes to survive. I don't blame them. It's a bitch out there and you need to do what you can to get through it.

Shaun
25th May 2009, 02:54 PM
It dosesnt suprise me that they are ceasing to import the model. Its been on the cards for some time now.

kabel
25th May 2009, 08:37 PM
Here`s hoping we get a decent locally built small car !

Vectracious
25th May 2009, 09:07 PM
Here`s hoping we get a decent locally built small car !

we are - it's called the Cruze and it will be built at Elizabeth next year. Whether it's decent or not depends on each persons opinion. From a value for money perspective, the Cruze is definately "decent".

USC
25th May 2009, 09:40 PM
what happened to the small rear wheel drive sedan Holden was thinking of building here??

ASTRAY
25th May 2009, 09:43 PM
Whether it's decent or not depends on each persons opinion. From a value for money perspective, the Cruze is definately "decent".
but people also considered excels value for money.
im not picking on performance here, im more talking about quality of build, and the quality of the paint. nearly every excel i see has the flaking problem that is seen on much older commodores, and vn-vp.

MatsHolden
25th May 2009, 09:49 PM
what happened to the small rear wheel drive sedan Holden was thinking of building here??

They are building a small car here, not RWD though. The GM Korea sourced Cruze is just for the interim.

kabel
26th May 2009, 12:24 AM
Will reserve judgement until I see/drive one.
So will this car be the basis for HSV to modify ?

Hoya
26th May 2009, 12:35 AM
Will reserve judgement until I see/drive one.
So will this car be the basis for HSV to modify ?
HSV CRUZE:rolleyes:

dont have the nice flow to it like VXR or even Clubsport

Brazza
26th May 2009, 09:20 AM
Regardless of whether or not the cruze is good value for money I really don't like the way it looks. It's a shame that they are ditching the new astra because that car actually looks good.

At the end of the day though, I blame wheels magazine Feb 2009 issue for giving me high (and unrealistic, I know) hopes for the locally built small car to be a new and good looking torana. (http://wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/wheelsed.nsf/e4708d9b1feab2d7ca256c59000e7e17/60fc7da37ae8c764ca257544007fce54/Body/0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif)

Still if this provides holden with what they need to stay afloat for the time being then I'd much rather suffer this temporarily than see them go bankrupt.

rjastra
26th May 2009, 11:07 AM
Holden will build a smaller RWD car... The next generation Commodore. There is little doubt the next Commodore will be smaller and lighter than the current generation.

A separate model line called "Torana" is very unlikely in this financial climate.

The fact is that GM (and FOrd Chrysler etc) will not be in a hurry to built large high volume RWD cars when upcoming US CAFE regulations dictate a fleet average economy of about 38mpg (approx 6.7L/100km!)

Alix
26th May 2009, 04:02 PM
but people also considered excels value for money.
im not picking on performance here, im more talking about quality of build, and the quality of the paint. nearly every excel i see has the flaking problem that is seen on much older commodores, and vn-vp.

Coincidently, I had my first-ever drive of one of the late-90s Excels the other day (interstate, borrowed it from my uncle for a few hours to get me around). Paintwork was OK, but the clutch had about 1 inch of effective travel, the brakes were non-existent until the pedal just about touched the firewall, the gearchange was a lottery due to rubberiness and the steering/suspension was sloppy.

If this was a high-kay, low maintenance car I could have understood. Nope - 138 thou, and dealer serviced by the book from new, including less than six months ago. I shudder to think what a badly-maintained one would be like.

If that's the quality of engineering coming out of Korea they can keep their cheap cars thanks very much.

I have also had the "pleasure" of having a Viva as a hire car in Italy a few years ago (badged as a Chevy something-or-other). Again, terrible to drive, and thirsty to boot (well, at Italian autostrada speeds...).

The chances of seeing me in a Cruze in the future is practically zero.

Hoya
27th May 2009, 12:18 AM
i dont see how holden can justify the currency for ditching the astra?

since 26 may 2006 the currency has only moved 9 cents to the gbp
then = 0.4081184665
today = 0.4893510294

which should really mean the astra would get cheaper rather than more expensive

meh.

Alix
27th May 2009, 12:41 AM
i dont see how holden can justify the currency for ditching the astra?

since 26 may 2006 the currency has only moved 9 cents to the gbp
then = 0.4081184665
today = 0.4893510294

which should really mean the astra would get cheaper rather than more expensive

meh.

Ah - but it's gone the other way against the Euro, down around 10%, and mostly this year - a sudden drop which may well have spooked them in this current car sales climate.

Also - why would they be buying a car from the Germans in GBP?

Hoya
27th May 2009, 12:46 AM
Also - why would they be buying a car from the Germans in GBP?
lol dumb of me.....

i was thinking of vaux.....:blush:

CDXIJET
27th May 2009, 12:54 AM
Coincidently, I had my first-ever drive of one of the late-90s Excels the other day (interstate, borrowed it from my uncle for a few hours to get me around). Paintwork was OK, but the clutch had about 1 inch of effective travel, the brakes were non-existent until the pedal just about touched the firewall, the gearchange was a lottery due to rubberiness and the steering/suspension was sloppy.

If this was a high-kay, low maintenance car I could have understood. Nope - 138 thou, and dealer serviced by the book from new, including less than six months ago. I shudder to think what a badly-maintained one would be like.

If that's the quality of engineering coming out of Korea they can keep their cheap cars thanks very much.

I have also had the "pleasure" of having a Viva as a hire car in Italy a few years ago (badged as a Chevy something-or-other). Again, terrible to drive, and thirsty to boot (well, at Italian autostrada speeds...).

The chances of seeing me in a Cruze in the future is practically zero.

Yeah I totally agree ,I just don't understand what the people want here ? is it a cheap reliable car that feels like shit to handle on the road or is it a cheap car that's economical and relaible but not safe .

Yes I don't know are Australian's fussy car buyers ? No I don't think so but then again what's an Australian do they exsist?

Maybe it's the problem with the people that buy Asian manafactured vehicles that have never stepped in to something other than a Asian manafactured car ,Hyundai and Toyota lovers .

I drove an 07 Toyota Corolla Accent Sport and it seriously felt like jelly on the road not to mention me having to shove my foot nearly full pedal on the brake to pull the car up at a resonable speed ,this car is from a family freind and it has 37,000km on it ,it's last service came up with a chasis squeak which is not able to be repaired .

Hmmm Toyota's were a good cheap reliable car back in the day but I don't think they live up to that name these days but they still make the sales so idiots fall for the name as usual ,I was never happier to get back in to the Astra to be honest ....;)

ChrisMaz
27th May 2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah I totally agree ,I just don't understand what the people want here ? is it a cheap reliable car that feels like shit to handle on the road or is it a cheap car that's economical and relaible but not safe .

Yes I don't know are Australian's fussy car buyers ? No I don't think so but then again what's an Australian do they exsist?

Maybe it's the problem with the people that buy Asian manafactured vehicles that have never stepped in to something other than a Asian manafactured car ,Hyundai and Toyota lovers .

I drove an 07 Toyota Corolla Accent Sport and it seriously felt like jelly on the road not to mention me having to shove my foot nearly full pedal on the brake to pull the car up at a resonable speed ,this car is from a family freind and it has 37,000km on it ,it's last service came up with a chasis squeak which is not able to be repaired .

Hmmm Toyota's were a good cheap reliable car back in the day but I don't think they live up to that name these days but they still make the sales so idiots fall for the name as usual ,I was never happier to get back in to the Astra to be honest ....;)

Toyota have fallen in a hole personally. All their new models just feel tinny and fragile. Drove a yaris last year and I seriously don't see how anyone can justify the cost one of those costs.... Totally unresponsive.

Brazza
27th May 2009, 09:14 AM
Toyota have fallen in a hole personally. All their new models just feel tinny and fragile. Drove a yaris last year and I seriously don't see how anyone can justify the cost one of those costs.... Totally unresponsive.

all of toyota's big cost cutting initiatives in one small car eh

I drove a yaris last year as well and I have to agree they definitely aren't up to the quality of cars like my brothers 92 corolla with 600000 km on the clock that still goes hard despite having the shit flogged out of it.

bgr400
27th May 2009, 10:45 AM
all of toyota's big cost cutting initiatives in one small car eh

I drove a yaris last year as well and I have to agree they definitely aren't up to the quality of cars like my brothers 92 corolla with 600000 km on the clock that still goes hard despite having the shit flogged out of it.
Totally agree re Toyota Yaris and Corolla, very disapointing. Have taken both for a test drive recently as my partner was looking to buy a new car and was set on getting a Toyota. They Yaris felt cheap to drive, engine not responsive at all. The Corolla was boring, felt fragile and has a terrible clunky auto gearbox. She ended up buying an new gen Mazda 3 (terrific car!) from the dealership next door

cdxi
27th May 2009, 03:55 PM
GMH's Alan Batey says "never say never" ......especially in relation to the new Astra.

The Cruze is here to stay. Later this year, we should see the 1.4 turbo followed by the hatch next year, which given all the marketing might put behind the sedan this year will no doubt also be called Cruze. It will probably have some unique sheet metal forward of the A pillar too.

The Astra is in a holding pattern. Opel's ownership and GM's restructuring are significant spanners in the works. Each country's Government that is pumpng billions into its own economy results in major currency issues so there's no straightforward pricing structure for Holden to negotiate when looking into shipments of the current Astra...let alone the new model.

Kabel is on the money when he say's he'll reserve judgement on the Cruze. We all should do the same.

And anyone who's hanging onto 90's Excels, Kias, current Barinas and ex-Vivas as notions of how all Korean cars are should really leave their biases at the door.

And we should also note that the new Cruze is as much a global GM car as the current AH Astra is. It just happens to come from a non-Euro factory.

kabel
27th May 2009, 10:42 PM
This months issue of Wheels has a review of the Cruze.

Personally I went from driving Chrysler RWD V8 or in-line 6 cars based on 60`s technology from the USA from 1983 until six years ago.Never thought I would be driving a FWD Turbo four sourced from Germany.....................
so who knows what I will purchase next.
From what I have read so far of the Cruze the letdown is the current engine which will be superceded early next year,all other comments are positive.

MitchSRi
30th May 2009, 10:55 PM
Well with Magna International purchasing Opel, there's a chance we might still get them here.

It's no longer possibly going to Fiat (Opel), and Holden did consider bringing the Astra here as a more expensive upmarket model to the Cruze.