PDA

View Full Version : Mandrel Bent Exhausts

chrissn89
12th May 2009, 09:41 PM
Hey guys just having a look into exhausts.

I want to get a 3" mild steel mandrel bent exhaust.

Just a question, should the exhaust be one piece of pipe with the mandrel bends in it or can the mandrel bends be welded into the pipe (im guessing they'll be aligned perfectly and smooth inside)?

Whats the pro's and con's.

auzvectra
12th May 2009, 09:44 PM
mandrel bent has d bends welded in.
the bends are dont on a special machine so it doest crush d pipe. so cant be done in 1 peice.

Nurb608
12th May 2009, 09:45 PM
ful mandrel bent is usually the best but depends how they weld the bends in with the other systems. So long as the internals are smooth, it's all good

Valve Bounce
12th May 2009, 09:54 PM
From what I've heard, Mandrel Bent, you can't go wrong. I was going to have a mandrel bent exhaust on the VR6 but didn't have the cash at the time, but I was told they were definitely the better option, by a few exhaust places I went to for quotes.

chrissn89
12th May 2009, 10:14 PM
oh okay thanks for clearing that up guys. How much should it cost for a dump pipe back with a high flow cat either 100 or 200 cell. Ill be getting the Xforce varex muffler. Will i need any other mufflers or hotdogs.

In my head im think it'll go turbo, dump pipe, high flow cat, varex muffler, exhaust tips. Is that correct?

Nurb608
12th May 2009, 10:18 PM
depends what steel you choose but shouldn't be any more than $1500 - $1800 in stainless

SKM_87
12th May 2009, 10:19 PM
go stainless for a mb system. as the bends have to be bought and cut to suit and the price between the ms and ss in bends isnt alot. any mandrel system i build all the pipe work is TIG welded and flanges and mufflers MIG welded. make sure they tig weld pipe pices as one it looks better, two you cant fill gaps with a TIG welder so the pipes will not be intruding on each other.

your car being a turbo needs a 3inch system and you cannot press bend 3 inch pipe properly. i crushe on itself to easily and as such you cannot do larger angle bends with it. the best advice i can give is ask the shop you are looking t having the work done with to see some previous work. if they say no well they are most likely a bit dodge. we always show customers our systems on display cars and say if it dosnt match this std we fix it or money back.

Valve Bounce
12th May 2009, 10:20 PM
The mandrel bending process maintains a constant inside diameter, even through pipe bends. Flow area remains consistent, increasing flow more than 35% compared to stock, serrated bent pipes.

auzvectra
12th May 2009, 10:20 PM
deans was 1200 in mild, turbo back.

chrissn89
12th May 2009, 10:21 PM
Ive been recommended mild steel so it doesnt sound tinny. I have a mate that can do it for about $800 all up including varex muffler. Just not sure if i want to go to him or not cause he manily works on older V8's and 6's.

chrissn89
12th May 2009, 10:24 PM
deans was 1200 in mild, turbo back.
So mines less the dump pipe so about $900 to $1000 around there hopefully. We'll see what my money looks like in 2 or 3 months :)

Nurb608
12th May 2009, 10:25 PM
$800 is a really good price for a 3" turbo back system

SKM_87
12th May 2009, 10:31 PM
dum pipes 400
cat 300ish
SS MB EXH - 1400
MS MB EXH -850

btw if your mate can do a decent system ona 6 or 8 he should have no problems

SKM_87
12th May 2009, 10:33 PM
oh and the stainless tinny sounds copmes from cheap mufflers no the fact its stainless.

chrissn89
12th May 2009, 10:37 PM
$800 is a really good price for a 3" turbo back system
dump pipe back. Cause ive already got a 3" dump de-cat pipe on it. I just want to finish the rest of it off in a few months all going well.

Yeah he's an old school mate, and will do it all for near cost. The only problem is he doesnt have that much experience with newer cars. Works on a lot of older V8's, im just worry about him putting the 02 sensors in the wrong spot and fault lights coming on.

Nurb608
12th May 2009, 10:40 PM
dump pipe back. Cause ive already got a 3" dump de-cat pipe on it. I just want to finish the rest of it off in a few months all going well.

Yeah he's an old school mate, and will do it all for near cost. The only problem is he doesnt have that much experience with newer cars. Works on a lot of older V8's, im just worry about him putting the 02 sensors in the wrong spot and fault lights coming on.

atleast the first sensor is done in your decat pipe. should be fine i'd think

auzvectra
13th May 2009, 07:22 AM
the only 2 diffs really are, the 02's (main 1 sorted already as rory said), and acloser fit to the body, just make sure he keeps it up high with a tight fit.

gman
13th May 2009, 11:00 AM
Ive been recommended mild steel so it doesnt sound tinny.

A stainless exhaust will sound LESS tinny than a mild steel one (stainless is denser than mild steel) and last 10 times longer (it doesn't rust) if its done right. As SKM said, the tinny sound comes from bad mufflers, not the stainless material. Stainless IMHO always sounds and works better vs. mild steel.

Always get mandrel bent and stainless if you can afford it.

Wraith
13th May 2009, 11:11 AM
A stainless exhaust will sound LESS tinny than a mild steel one (stainless is denser than mild steel) and last 10 times longer (it doesn't rust) if its done right. As SKM said, the tinny sound comes from bad mufflers, not the stainless material.

Correct !

I've seen exhaust systems made from pure copper pipe on hotted up show cars and rods, usually V8's for the sole reason of getting the best/deepest sound from the V8 engine and it has to do with the density of the material used...

On the topic of bends/welds, mandrel is best because as stated it maintains the cross sectional area of the pipe through the bends - but be careful with this one, I've seen many a mandrel bent exhaust systems where the pipe is substantially 'squashed' through the bends, it obviously depends on the shop doing it and how good or not their machinery is !

If you can't afford S/S go M/S but do try to have it made with 'proper' mandrel bends :)

SKM_87
13th May 2009, 09:04 PM
most shop (like me) buy the bends in as mandrel bending equipment is expensive. for your mate just get him to measure the distance from the rear of the cat biscut not body to the rear 02 sensor then just replicate it with new stuff. if he is anygood he shouldnt have anytrouble tucking the system up hgh as you do that with any age car, its just good practice and much neater

chrissn89
13th May 2009, 09:18 PM
thanks for all your help guys. Like i said its a few months away, when i ready ill either decide to go to my mate or to the shop that did my dump pipe.

Cheers
Chris :)