PDA

View Full Version : Engine maintenance

nuggz
11th May 2009, 04:14 PM
Well, im gonna be putting in a set of cams into my 2.6 and figured while i've got the engine cracked open, i'll do some preventative maintenance

Will be doing timing kit and water pump
also maybe a new starter motor as it seems to be struggling a bit with the cold

is there anything else i can check while i got the cams out?
how much deeper into the engine are the lifters and such?

Shopping list
- Timing belt kit
- water pump
- rocker cover gaskets
- cam seals

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 04:26 PM
How many k's you done? You can go right over the top or just moddest, depends how much money and time you have. Do you need uprated springs or anything for the cam followers when using the 3ltr cams?

nuggz
11th May 2009, 04:30 PM
How many k's you done? You can go right over the top or just moddest, depends how much money and time you have. Do you need uprated springs or anything for the cam followers when using the 3ltr cams?

the engines around 170k's
dont need uprated springs or anything like that

Jerram
11th May 2009, 05:19 PM
I thought those engines had followers not lifters.

Also maybe you could check the condition on the tappets, valve caps and shims?

Also the valve stem seals?

nuggz
11th May 2009, 05:23 PM
I thought those engines had followers not lifters.

Also maybe you could check the condition on the tappets, valve caps and shims?

Also the valve stem seals?

can i get to them from under the cams?
or does the head have to come off?

Jerram
11th May 2009, 05:24 PM
can i get to them from under the cams?
or does the head have to come off?

Did you get that manual I posted up here a while back - that should give you the answer.

Shay
11th May 2009, 05:30 PM
Did you get that manual I posted up here a while back - that should give you the answer.

wasnt that the 25 manual, the 26 would be a bit dif...

nuggz
11th May 2009, 05:32 PM
wasnt that the 25 manual, the 26 would be a bit dif...

the block is basically the same
i wouldnt know if they are knackered or if they are fine lol :D

Jerram
11th May 2009, 05:55 PM
the block is basically the same
i wouldnt know if they are knackered or if they are fine lol :D

yeah Shay the engines are the same just like the c20 and c22sel are the same, just little extra bore so Opel could claim there was a "power increase" in the engines in the Series 2 B Face-lifts.

Shay
11th May 2009, 06:50 PM
yeah Shay the engines are the same just like the c20 and c22sel are the same, just little extra bore so Opel could claim there was a "power increase" in the engines in the Series 2 B Face-lifts.

ah k soz thought there was a big dif, like c22 to z22

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 06:56 PM
If you end up takin the head off, get the thing flowed at a machining shop. They will also be able to tell ya if you need anything. Think it's only about $300. Better to have the peice of mind i reckon. My 2c :p

Shay
11th May 2009, 06:57 PM
If you end up takin the head off, get the thing flowed at a machining shop. They will also be able to tell ya if you need anything. Think it's only about $300. Better to have the peice of mind i reckon. My 2c :p

wow, cheap!

how does it help...

vectraguy01
11th May 2009, 07:01 PM
you can take sh*t loads out of the intake to make it flow better, if i still had mine that would of been done by now :p

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 07:03 PM
you can take sh*t loads out of the intake to make it flow better, if i still had mine that would of been done by now :p

As chris said.

nuggz
11th May 2009, 09:20 PM

thats a good idea
is it possible to take the headout without taking the engine out
and new headgaskets required?

how close is this to a full rebuild?

auzvectra
11th May 2009, 09:39 PM
1/2 rebuild, new hg's, new head bolts, new intake n exhaust gaskets/seals.

if u take the heads off, they need the callant gallories opened up, like 2 r open n 2 are blocked from memory, open the other 2 up.

only goin by memory, but intake side, rear of the motor, both sides, think it flows thru the manifold or sumptin, if u take them to a shop i'm sure they will be able to tell where.

i prob wouldnt bother takn them off but, just as chris said, flow the manifold.

and chris, if u still had ur's, i would have talked u into turbo by now :p.

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 09:40 PM
thats a good idea
is it possible to take the headout without taking the engine out
and new headgaskets required?

how close is this to a full rebuild?

You should be able to take the head off without taking the engine out but I would replace all gaskets, doesn't cost much.

It's halfway to a full rebuild:p

GodsKnight
11th May 2009, 09:52 PM
You should be able to take the head off without taking the engine out but I would replace all gaskets, doesn't cost much.

It's halfway to a full rebuild:p

I have taken the head off my mates Cali without taking the engine out but we had to unbolt the exhaust and inlet manifold..different car but similar design :)

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 09:56 PM
I have taken the head off my mates Cali without taking the engine out but we had to unbolt the exhaust and inlet manifold..different car but similar design :)

Yep, will be the same. Got the head off my cali at the moment and had to do the same.

nuggz
12th May 2009, 09:47 AM
1/2 rebuild, new hg's, new head bolts, new intake n exhaust gaskets/seals.

if u take the heads off, they need the callant gallories opened up, like 2 r open n 2 are blocked from memory, open the other 2 up.

only goin by memory, but intake side, rear of the motor, both sides, think it flows thru the manifold or sumptin, if u take them to a shop i'm sure they will be able to tell where.

i prob wouldnt bother takn them off but, just as chris said, flow the manifold.

and chris, if u still had ur's, i would have talked u into turbo by now :p.

yeah had a good look through haynes
and its a lot more work then im looking forward to (probably explains the state of Rorys Cali =P )
i'll probably just leave it for when the time comes for a full rebuild

mr corsa
12th May 2009, 10:20 AM
make sure you check your piston to valve clearence before you bolt down the head