PDA

View Full Version : another sri-t tyre thread, but specific opinions required

auzvectra
11th May 2009, 01:42 PM
i have some bf goodrich on the front at the moment which are run in now and will be moved to the rear.

i just rang up about another 2 for the front, and bf has had a major price rise, literally 50% increase. so not intersted in getttin 2 tyres for the former price of 3!!.

i have a few other options at a lot lower price now, but not sure on them.

keep in mind, i'm running some decent hp, with a lot more to come soon when it's tuned fully and boosted up.

noise i dont care about, i have 2 solid engine mounts and an exhaust.
tyre wear, i'm not as concerned about, but paying so much i would prefer them to last a lil while atleast.

ok, so 3 that were sujested to me over the bf's:
i payed 185 for the bf last time, and got quoted 275 now :'(.

pirelli dragon's for $195ea
a drives for $220
Yoko R1's for $220

so what do you all think?
and sorry bout the re-thread, but need a direct answer and quick, backs are rooted beyond safe.

JR
11th May 2009, 02:11 PM
keep in mind, watever tyre u end up buying, of the load rating.
this is one of the key factors of tyre, n determines its price.

just looking at the size is not enough.

in ur "custom" case, i'd go with something that has a high load rating - like 90+

gman
11th May 2009, 02:35 PM
For your car on 17's.....IMHO, Falken Azenis RT615's....

I run them everyday and love them and they aren;t that bad in the wet...They seem to be lasting very well too....The others will likely get eaten up by the FWD torque your putting down...More tread blocks = greater void area & smaller tread blocks that rip off the carcass..

My car killed a set of Yokohama's and Bridgestone's in this way...Literally removed 1/4 of the smaller tread block from each....So I went to the Azenis and Toyo R888's/Kuhmo V700's for track days...(If I ever get to drive the bloody thing!!!!!!)

vectraguy01
11th May 2009, 02:44 PM
Try Toyo, they seemed ok when i first had them on the veccy!

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm running the dragons on the veccy, not a bad tyre for grip although I don't know what they would be like with your hp.

nuggz
11th May 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm running the dragons on the veccy, not a bad tyre for grip although I don't know what they would be like with your hp.

whats the load rating on the dragons?
i thought they were more of a lightwight thing?

Nurb608
11th May 2009, 03:39 PM
whats the load rating on the dragons?
i thought they were more of a lightwight thing?

Think mine are 91's but will have to check. Will depend on the size and width of the tyre.

rjastra
11th May 2009, 04:07 PM
It's been said many times before:

Bridgestone Adrenalins or Michelin Precedas 2.

All the ones you have listed are second rate at best. The toyos have flexy sidewalls, dragons are cheap rubbish and the A Drives aren't a sports spec tyre.

gman
11th May 2009, 04:10 PM
All the ones you have listed are second rate at best. The toyos have flexy sidewalls, dragons are cheap rubbish and the A Drives aren't a sports spec tyre.

Toyo's and Falkens are 2nd rate cheap rubbish? Check the sidewalls, treads or compounds on an Toyo R888, T1R or Falken RT615...

So what about the Bridestones that delaminated on my STi and the one that my Astra SRi-T ripped the tread blocks off?

Or the Michelin Pilot Sports that blistered on a GT3 I was driving/a passenger in so badly that they were basically undrivable after a "sprited" drive? Vibration above 40KPH had me seeing double for a week!!!!!

I have raced on Falkens and Toyo's (as well as Dunlops, Kuhmo's, Hoosier, BFG, Nitto & Bridgestone) and seriously question such a HUGELY sweeping statement....

Calibrated
11th May 2009, 05:27 PM
Toyo's and Falkens are 2nd rate cheap rubbish? Check the sidewalls, treads or compounds on an Toyo R888, T1R or Falken RT615...

So what about the Bridestones that delaminated on my STi and the one that my Astra SRi-T ripped the tread blocks off?

Or the Michelin Pilot Sports that blistered on a GT3 I was driving/a passenger in so badly that they were basically undrivable after a "sprited" drive? Vibration above 40KPH had me seeing double for a week!!!!!

I have raced on Falkens and Toyo's (as well as Dunlops, Kuhmo's, Hoosier, BFG, Nitto & Bridgestone) and seriously question such a HUGELY sweeping statement....
agree with Gman here.

also, look into Marangoni's

EL BURITO
11th May 2009, 05:57 PM
I have the Kumo KU31 on the rear of the XR, Was looking to replace the P Zero on the front with the same.

9090GO
11th May 2009, 06:57 PM
Try the Toyo Proxes 4 or the Yokohama S-Drive, both pretty good.

R3N
11th May 2009, 07:19 PM
had toyo proxes4 on the SRiT rims i had before, but no where near as much power as what you have so can't comment. Should listen to gman re the torque steer wear. i've got potenza 040s on my s15 atm and have been in a car with potenza 001s, very grippy

auzvectra
11th May 2009, 07:27 PM
thanks all ;).
yeah ren i always listen very closely to what glen has to say :).

mr corsa
12th May 2009, 07:45 AM
mickey thompson et street radials have grip

rjastra
12th May 2009, 04:08 PM

He was wasn't talking about the R888 or RT615 in the original question (both are not cheap). He seemed to be looking at the cheaper end of the tyre market.

We aren't talking about race/track compound (so exclude the R888, R1R etc) and neither will the tyres be attached to a AWD Sti or rwd Porsche GT3 (mind you the standard tyres on that are... Michelins) :)

I can attest that the Preceda 2 will not only grip well, but also resist tread delamination under hard use (several snowy mtn runs etc). Backed up by very good wet weather grip , reasonable tyre life and a quiet ride.

BF Goodrich, afaik, is a michelin owned company.

gman
12th May 2009, 05:30 PM
He was wasn't talking about the R888 or RT615 in the original question (both are not cheap). He seemed to be looking at the cheaper end of the tyre market.

We aren't talking about race/track compound (so exclude the R888, R1R etc) and neither will the tyres be attached to a AWD Sti or rwd Porsche GT3 (mind you the standard tyres on that are... Michelins) :)

I can attest that the Preceda 2 will not only grip well, but also resist tread delamination under hard use (several snowy mtn runs etc). Backed up by very good wet weather grip , reasonable tyre life and a quiet ride.

BF Goodrich, afaik, is a michelin owned company.

Actually, whilst he enquired after a few tyres specifically, he asked for "recommendations", which has an open ended quality to it I think, hence my recommendations given his specifc circumstances.

Matt asked for a recommendation including considerations of cost, performance and his cars power/torque. I took these into account in my post.The same I would for other things, like you wouldn't offer a fat chick tight white hot pants....

The RT615's aren't expensive and would in all likely hood be cheaper than the Preceda 2's you mentioned and the Bridgestone's, Yokohama's or other more expensive brands.

The Toyo T1R's or R1R's are not a track tyre either, they are (quote):

"Ultra High Performance flagship tyre for extreme performance. The Proxes R1R provides maximum traction in both wet and dry weather for car enthusiasts who desire ultimate performance".

Just like the RT615. Regardess of how people sell them, neither of these are real R-Compound / Semi Slick / Track Tyres. Check the UTQG rating....They are not that soft....

The Toyo R888 is an R-Compound tyre, but hardly expensive in comparison to others, r-compound, ultra or just plain high performance. You can get a full set of 4 for $1200-ish. You could barely get 2 or 3 Dunlop, Yokohama's or Bridgestone R-Compounds for that money!!! The RT615 are even cheaper...

Additionally the R888's are used on alot of Porsches, albeit not as standard equipment as they are a pretty good semi and tend to out last the others while not being that much slower. I had them on my STi and they are also now on the GT3 that I drove that used to have a standard set of Michelin's. However they seemed to blister after a good thrashing...Something about overheating we were told be the local Michelin rep.

So in summary, standard tyres with standard tread designs are going to struggle with high powered cars, expecially FWD or 4WD cars as the tyres are forced to endure high torque loadings and excessive slip angles whilst trying to alter direction (steer), transfer torque/power (accelerate) and brake (deccelerate) the car. More so than a RWD or standard FWD /4WD car.

if your looking for proof, check a standard performance tyre after a track day. They are usually feathered on the edges, tread blocks missing and benerally in very poor shape.

As such, these extra forces tend to manifest certain probelms in standard tyres with high void ratio's for water clearance, namely tread block overheating and eventual failure (resulting in tread block removal from the carcass) and possibly entire tread face delamination from overheating of the carcass (see above comments).

IMHO, using a cheaper tyre on a high performance FWD specifially (as in this case) where they must perform all duties (stop, steer, accelerate, decelerate) is not only dangerous and throwing away performance but false economy.

A carefully choosen tyre with the right compound and void ratio may cost more initially but last twice as long as one that gets ripped apart and/or wears quicker due to tread block/carcass overheating.

In light of the above considerations I made said recommendations based on my own prior experience and knowledge of Matt's possible requirements.

auzvectra
12th May 2009, 05:49 PM
few more prices today, now the fact that i will have to pay more then i wanted to is hittin homr :(.

so still got the bf's for 275 which i already have 2 of at the moment.

the t1r's for $310
and r888's were $435 (i think, was a long day)
and rt615's for $310

to change the question slightly, i will keep the bf's on the rear wit some newby's on the front. would ne of these be reasonably better overall (km's, grip, handing, ect...) to the bf's?
is it better to keep the same tread all round, i think the commodores get unsettled (moreso) if u change tread from front to rear?
i think the bf's are a high km tyre also, i have been told by a couple of tyre companies that the bf's beta then the others, but they just sell their own product neway (or main product).

gman
12th May 2009, 05:52 PM
Which BF''s are you using??

that seems high for the RT615's...What size were they?

The R888's also looks expensive...Check out Oz eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-X-NEW-215-45-17-TOYO-R888-SEMI-SLICK-RACE-TYRES-WRX_W0QQitemZ260407507635QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item260407507635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C 301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

gman
12th May 2009, 05:54 PM
That was the other tyres...Federal's RS959 and Hankook's new ones...they are mean't to be pretty good too...

cbrmale
12th May 2009, 06:03 PM
I have two German Tyre Tests for premium tyres, 225-45 x 17, scanned from the magazines. Test one had Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric from Hankook Ventus V12 and Bridgestone Potenza RE050a. Test two, same size, had Goodyear and Hankook first and second, with the Pirelli P Zero third.

They were very thorough tests (I speak German), and I would go for the Hankook as the top three were very, very close but the Hankook is much cheaper.

auzvectra
12th May 2009, 06:08 PM
thats keepin the 40 profile, so 215/40/17. does add a lil extra cost, dont wanna go to 45 unless i have to.
thats was from my usual tyre shop, they dont have good buying power for the hi performance tyres.

Keep'emRunning
6th July 2009, 11:54 AM
without starting another thread.. anyone using nexen n3000 tyres?

Been offered some when getting new rims.

xplosv57
6th July 2009, 03:09 PM
without starting another thread.. anyone using nexen n3000 tyres?

Been offered some when getting new rims.

Yep used to have them, great for skids, that's about it, just a cheap tyre nothing else, don't bother!!

jim7777777
6th July 2009, 09:00 PM
That was the other tyres...Federal's RS959 and Hankook's new ones...they are mean't to be pretty good too...

I looked at the RS595s but they only do them in a 45 ratio in 215 17.

I put a set of RT615s on my SriT (tuned, but not as hard as AVs) a little while ago. I've driven them in pi$$ing Melbourne rain, through standing water and in the dry and I'm very happy. Their lateral grip is VERY VERY impressive. They still struggle in a straight line, but then when the boost comes on hard in second, nothing much is going to tame the wheelspin...

Now, about that LSD...

P.S. Why didn't anyone say "Use the search function"? That's the assistance I received last time I asked... ;)

HappySlapper82
6th July 2009, 09:05 PM
Value for money, try the Hankook K110 Ventus V12.

gman
11th July 2009, 12:46 PM
I looked at the RS595s but they only do them in a 45 ratio in 215 17.

I put a set of RT615s on my SriT (tuned, but not as hard as AVs) a little while ago. I've driven them in pi$$ing Melbourne rain, through standing water and in the dry and I'm very happy. Their lateral grip is VERY VERY impressive. They still struggle in a straight line, but then when the boost comes on hard in second, nothing much is going to tame the wheelspin...

I still love my Falken Azenis Rt 615's..... Just been driving around in the pouring NSW rain and the work like a charm.. :)

auzvectra
11th July 2009, 01:26 PM
I still love my Falken Azenis Rt 615's..... Just been driving around in the pouring NSW rain and the work like a charm.. :)

yeah think i'll be tryin them next or as a track tyre ;).
need to catch up that 2 secs that the worked evo 9 had on me at the sprints :D.