PDA

View Full Version : So, i decided to tint my fog lights :)

NUTTTR
4th September 2004, 10:47 PM
So, I decided that my fog lights needed tinting again (one was replaced after accident and other one was peeling off) so i thought, "when was the last time we had fog in sydney?!" i couldn't remember so i unfoiled a new plan to tint my foglights :) Black acrylic spraypaint from the inside! :)
Looks EXCELLENT and the lights do JUST shine through it... however, i removed the bulbs as i've never ever needed a set of fogs working :)

http://nutter.caraudioaustralia.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/DSC01406.JPG

What do you think? I was intending on removing the glass on the lights then painting them and reassembling them :) However, i found an easier way, i didn't even have to remove them from the car!!

Aaron

sunny
4th September 2004, 11:37 PM
:? not sure about the tint

if you gonna do that might as well make it blue

NUTTTR
4th September 2004, 11:49 PM
the blue colour of the car is quite dark...... so they blend in, if they were blue they'd look odd as i don't have that exact colour :)
The black makes them blend

The Sentinel
5th September 2004, 04:51 PM
NUTTTR: Murphy's law says there is fog in Sydney in the next week or so.. :-)

RK
5th September 2004, 04:53 PM
:shock:

R3N
5th September 2004, 05:16 PM
waste of a good set of fog lights imo

NUTTTR
5th September 2004, 09:06 PM
waste of a good set of fog lights imo

:!: :!:

So am i meant to drive around with them on when there's no fog, during the day to annoy the hell out of everyone else? If they are soooo important, why doesn't EVERY car have them?
I've never used them once, even in my previous cars, i took the bulbs out and used them for other things!

R3N
5th September 2004, 09:23 PM
to me its just a waste of a working set of fog lights... if it wasn't working then it'd be a different story altogether.

oh well... to each their own

mr_astra_retired
5th September 2004, 09:28 PM
If you dont use them Aaron , then painting them seems to be a good idea if thats the look you want :)

RK
5th September 2004, 09:32 PM
why do people keep saying that foglights are annoying??

mine arent THAT bright, nor do they annoy people.
likewise with astras.

the one cars that have annoyingly bright foglights are the Commodore SS's and the like. Their foggies are as bright as headlights.

seriously, i leave mine on in the day sometimes so people can see my car. I've had WAY too many blind morons pull out in front of me like im not there.

Rec01l
5th September 2004, 09:32 PM
might be a good idea for me, ive had 2 fines for using mine, but they look SO kewl!

The Sentinel
5th September 2004, 09:52 PM
I normally only have my foglights n during the day if there is ACTUAL fog... or if am on a cruise. (It looks cool a line of Opels with their lights on!!)

I do however have my headlights on all the time (i.e. night AND day) for visibility.

Degen-Astra
5th September 2004, 11:08 PM
Maybe fitting a higher wattage globe in case you even need to use them.

NUTTTR
5th September 2004, 11:20 PM
they do still shine through them....... I use headlights during the day too..... but the reason fog lights "dazzle" other drivers is because they aren't aimed like headlights....... they shine out the side more not as much forwards..... they are ok far away but up close usually bad on the eyes at night....
previously they were tinted, but the tint paint peels off :(
If i ever want to use them again all the time, i can simply spray solvent (i wouldn't tho) or mineral turps inside them and leave it soak for a while and would all come off :D
However i do like the look more now, they stood out too much before :)

R3N
6th September 2004, 12:56 AM
from what i've heard is that its illegal to have your mains and foggies on at the same time, i wish i had fog lights :cry: they look kewl

plus id have them on during the day too...

Jass
6th September 2004, 07:30 AM
Cops are booking you for 150 bucks for driving around with fog lights on! They need to be used during fog only!

Anonymous
6th September 2004, 08:03 AM
jass is right fog lights are a big no no! :P

YuSuF
6th September 2004, 09:02 AM
My headlights are just as bright, so no need for fogs..it looks good if your not going to use them..

RK
6th September 2004, 09:24 AM
my fog lights dont do jack sh!t in the fog. I dont even think theyre called fog lights. arent they called driving lights? which just points slightly to the sides, so you can see the kerb better?

YuSuF
6th September 2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah your right RK.

Bob
6th September 2004, 12:30 PM
the one cars that have annoyingly bright foglights are the Commodore SS's and the like. Their foggies are as bright as headlights.
Yeah, some of those people give all of us a bad name :(
I only use mine when the weather is poor or when driving out in Camden.

Mitch
6th September 2004, 09:12 PM
They look excellent! :)

windy
7th September 2004, 04:40 PM
Bob - HSV Brother :)

Fog lights are legal here in Vic.
Nuttr - send me your foggies and i'll send you some black or blue plastic :mrgreen:

NUTTTR
7th September 2004, 05:32 PM
lol :P

rjastra
7th September 2004, 06:52 PM
Fog lights can only be used during poor visibility. At all other times they are illegal.
I think you will find this is nationwide since the harmonisation of Australian road rules.

They have become less useful as high quality headlights have been fitted to cars.
The precise beam cutoff does a better job that the "throw light everywhere" pattern of the foglights.

The worse thing you can do at night is drive round with both the foglights and headlights on. It throws so much light just in front of the car that it ruins your night vision.

Driving lights are auxilary lights that are hooked to the high beam circuit. They only come on when the high beam is activated. They throw a beam far down the road.

aussievectra
7th September 2004, 07:05 PM
Has anyone driven through really bad fog with the fog lights on they actually point upwards in the direction of the headlights. They are really bright in thick fog.

Stuey
6th October 2004, 11:25 PM
Aren't true fog lights supposed to be yellow in colour due to the wavelength of the light emitted (such that is penetrates the fog easier and reflects back less)? Either way, foggies don't bother me that much. No more than the handfull of cars on the road with poorly adjusted lights, or faulty ones!

I do however have a pet hate with those that use their rear red foggies. In fog...great! I can see you better...but in normal conditions, I'm sure you would appreciate me not rear ending you because I can't tell if you are braking or not! I find these particularly dazzling, possibly because you could be following any one car for a length of time and have no option but to look that direction. Hyundai's seem to be popular for this problem with that stupid one foggy that everybody uses.

I've got no problems with them, when used for the right reasons. I've used mine a few times through the last winter in Perth, had quite a few foggy days.

I'll be honest, I quite often drive with my fronts on, never with my mains at the same time though. I guess I'm a bit of a hippocrit then as I'm not really using mine for the right reasons either. :oops: At the end of the day, there are issues of greater importance when it comes to motoring.

Bernard Siong
6th October 2004, 11:37 PM
i wish i had foggies =(

blackSRi
7th October 2004, 12:56 PM
RJAstra is correct -

Fog lights can only be used during poor visibility. At all other times they are illegal.
I think you will find this is nationwide since the harmonisation of Australian road rules.

In WA they can only be used in fog or thick smoke conditions, not at any other time (you will be fined or cautioned).
I know cause I have been cautioned twice and I looked up the Statute covering use of lights.

They can be white in colour - effectiveness depends on a couple of things:
* Closeness to road surface (so they shine in the clear layer just above the road surface),
* Diffuser in the light unit (lense and reflector) shining diffused, not focussed light,
* shining to the side so the fog is side-lit for better visibility.

They don't need to be yellow for this to work (have a look at http://www.vclassics.com/archive/lightprn.htm for more info).

SmellyTofu
9th October 2004, 12:04 PM
Aren't true fog lights supposed to be yellow in colour due to the wavelength of the light emitted (such that is penetrates the fog easier and reflects back less)?

They are yellow because the wavelength of "French Yellow" (which is one wavelength and more yellower than you think) reflect back much less than white which is a combination of all the spectum of the light wavelength (which includes blue.. the worse colour for rain/fog). All things being equal, yellow is better than white but a better designed white fogs are better than a poorly designed yellow. It also explains the sodium lamps you see on the freeways which is one wavelength of light.

RK, when you have a chance, do try them on fog without low beam. They make all the difference. I don't mean they will turn foggy conditions into clear to be able to drive at legal speeds but you can see better and know where the side of the road is without the glare for both oncoming and for the driver.