PDA

View Full Version : Fiat wants Opel & Chrysler

gman
27th April 2009, 02:05 PM
Fiat is intent on becoming the next global automotive superpower, with its sights set on swallowing both Chrysler and GM’s European division Opel.
http://www.opelaus.com/pics/news/19806/tn_fiatlogo-t.jpg (http://www.opelaus.com/pics/news/19806/tn_fiatlogo-L.jpg)

If the bold strategy succeeds, the new Fiat group could triple its production to 6m vehicles annually according to industry analysts – although not before a vicious cost-cutting exercise slashes through major areas of overlap between the three companies. Fiat is well advanced in negotiations to secure Chrysler, which is currently less than a week away from bankruptcy if it can’t show the US government it is a viable contender for more bailout funds.
The chief executive of Fiat, Sergio Marchionne has confirmed the intention to cement a deal with Chrysler remains Fiat’s ‘first and foremost objective’. However Marchionne has also said Fiat will be a ‘willing player’ in a drive to further industry consolidation.
http://www.opelaus.com/pics/news/19806/tn_opelogo-t.jpg (http://www.opelaus.com/pics/news/19806/tn_opelogo-L.jpg)

According to a Financial Times article today, Fiat insiders have confirmed they are talking to the German government about a possible move on Opel. However discussions are at an early stage, and Fiat is expected to face strong resistance from German unions who fear major job losses if such a union goes ahead.

Calibrated
27th April 2009, 02:12 PM
interesting.

fiat have certainly improved from their uno days

GreyRex
27th April 2009, 02:17 PM
I wonder what this means for us... if anything?

btm
27th April 2009, 02:38 PM
most likely nothing at all

Hoya
27th April 2009, 02:39 PM
fiat astra vxr

btm
27th April 2009, 02:57 PM
its got a nice ring to it :D

Calibrated
27th April 2009, 03:28 PM
fiat astra vxr
sounds a million times better than daewoo astra hsv vxr

rjastra
27th April 2009, 03:55 PM
So... Fiat could take over OPEL... ditch the Corsa and Astra as FIAT already have small cars in that range and just take the Insignia. Sounds like a plan to me :)

FIAT could then take the Insignia and rebadge it as a Chrysler for the USA. Use the Chrysler network to sell Fiat small cars.

Calibrated
27th April 2009, 04:46 PM
ditch two of the EU's best selling cars? selling much higher numbers than the bravo/punto

i think not.

KID_SRi
27th April 2009, 05:17 PM
Opels with Ferrari Parts??
V-12 Omega's.

Imagine.............

dieselhead
27th April 2009, 10:10 PM
This must be a joke. FIAT recovered a lot of ground in the last few years, but them purchasing OPEL? Come on... Next week we'll read somewhere that Holden is puchasing Daimler or something :D
I remember that not long ago Porsche was buying VW. Look who's buying who now!

gman
27th April 2009, 11:30 PM
Opel is a very profitable unit of GM and has a very good product line. Look at the Astra, Insignia etc.

Fiat is seriously looking at Opel as an "organic" expansion of its business.

Chrysler I wouldn't touch, but as I said in another thread, Opel is a good business unit. GM is only selling because it knows it can get good money for a profitable business, not because its a loss leader...

People are seriously thinking this may happen and apparently Fiat is talking directly to the Opel board and the EU to clear any anti-trust/competition hurdles...

Hoya
27th April 2009, 11:54 PM
Fiat wants to get its hands on Opel, and the Opel workers don’t like it at all. Opel workers council chief Klaus Franz confirmed today that Fiat is in intensive negotiations to take over Opel. A memorandum of understanding may be signed as early as this coming Tuesday, reports Automobilwoche (http://www.automobilwoche.de/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090423/REPOSITORY/904230347/1056/REPOSITORY&:8906227554186fdf09abdb400efe671129913517b39068d83 846aa4e212d1cf9662935c32489d1fb) [sub]. Franz is very much against it:

According to Franz, Fiat doesn’t want to build a big car empire. All they want are the credit guarantees that are offered by the German government as a dowry if Opel finds a suitable partner “Fiat has a debt load of €14.2 billion and really bad liquidity problems. There is no other way fort them to raise funds,” Franz said.
A spokesperson of GM Europe didn’t want to comment the comments of their über-shop steward. The spokesperson gave the tired party line of GM being in contact with a number of interested, but unnamed investors.
Franz is worried that Fiat will “show their true colors” after the fall elections and will initiate massive job cuts. Between Opel and Fiat “is brutal overlap in all segments” said Franz, who also serves as Vice Chairman of the Opel supervisory board—he should and must know.
Fiat did not comment. According to Klaus Koch, premier of Opel’s home state Hesse, “there is no decision yet—Magna and Fiat are only some of the parties interested in Opel.” Politicians. Can’t keep their mouths shut.
In related news, all signs are on red in Milan. In Q1 09, Fiat’s sales dropped from €15 billion last year to €11 billion this year. After reporting a net gain of €405 million in Q1 08, the first quarter of 09 has a loss of €410 million on Fiat’s books.

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/fiat-wants-opel/

Apex
28th April 2009, 07:18 AM
Fiat wants to get its hands on Opel, and the Opel workers don’t like it at all. Opel workers council chief Klaus Franz confirmed today that Fiat is in intensive negotiations to take over Opel. A memorandum of understanding may be signed as early as this coming Tuesday, reports Automobilwoche (http://www.automobilwoche.de/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090423/REPOSITORY/904230347/1056/REPOSITORY&:8906227554186fdf09abdb400efe671129913517b39068d83 846aa4e212d1cf9662935c32489d1fb) [sub]. Franz is very much against it:

According to Franz, Fiat doesn’t want to build a big car empire. All they want are the credit guarantees that are offered by the German government as a dowry if Opel finds a suitable partner “Fiat has a debt load of €14.2 billion and really bad liquidity problems. There is no other way fort them to raise funds,” Franz said.
A spokesperson of GM Europe didn’t want to comment the comments of their über-shop steward. The spokesperson gave the tired party line of GM being in contact with a number of interested, but unnamed investors.
Franz is worried that Fiat will “show their true colors” after the fall elections and will initiate massive job cuts. Between Opel and Fiat “is brutal overlap in all segments” said Franz, who also serves as Vice Chairman of the Opel supervisory board—he should and must know.
Fiat did not comment. According to Klaus Koch, premier of Opel’s home state Hesse, “there is no decision yet—Magna and Fiat are only some of the parties interested in Opel.” Politicians. Can’t keep their mouths shut.
In related news, all signs are on red in Milan. In Q1 09, Fiat’s sales dropped from €15 billion last year to €11 billion this year. After reporting a net gain of €405 million in Q1 08, the first quarter of 09 has a loss of €410 million on Fiat’s books.

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/fiat-wants-opel/

That makes a bit more sense, it’s not like Opel would enhance their product portfolio.

Can’t see why the German Unions are getting upset their side of operations would be quite safe one would assume, it’s the Belgian unions that should be worried.

rjastra
28th April 2009, 10:39 AM
That makes a bit more sense, it’s not like Opel would enhance their product portfolio.

Can’t see why the German Unions are getting upset their side of operations would be quite safe one would assume, it’s the Belgian unions that should be worried.

It doesn't matter who buys OPEL. It will mean the dissappearance of OPEL produced cars in Australia. So just like Daewoo (or Daihatsu) owners you will be the owner of an orphaned model range in this country.

Maybe Holden wasn't quite as silly now (by accident) in going down the korean supplied car path.

All they need to do now is rebadge the Commodore as a Buick and sell it in China. The Chinese love Buick for some reason.

Wraith
28th April 2009, 12:44 PM

As others have said, most probably nothing...

If this happens and if Fiat imports Opels into Aust. expect to pay a premium on them !

Won't do any favours for sales...

Wraith
28th April 2009, 12:46 PM
fiat astra vxr

LOL there'll be no such thing...

HSV (if they still exist) will have to make do with Daewoo 4 potters if it still wants to expand its 4 pot line that is... :lol:

rjastra
28th April 2009, 12:56 PM
As others have said, most probably nothing...

If this happens and if Fiat imports Opels into Aust. expect to pay a premium on them !

Do FIAT import cars into Australia? Or is it a 3rd party company like Ateco?

Wraith
28th April 2009, 01:19 PM
Do FIAT import cars into Australia? Or is it a 3rd party company like Ateco?

Not sure, but Ferarris and other brands under Fiat are sold by the Zagame group here...

Apex
28th April 2009, 02:22 PM
LOL there'll be no such thing...

HSV (if they still exist) will have to make do with Daewoo 4 potters if it still wants to expand its 4 pot line that is... :lol:

Well the diesel Astra drives amongst us already have a Fiat powered Opel.. So a Diesel VXR could be a Fiat VXR :p:p

simmy
28th April 2009, 02:58 PM
so i should buy some fiat badges to swap my opel ones with ? :p

DirtyHarry
28th April 2009, 08:41 PM
fiatilized

poita
28th April 2009, 09:13 PM
fiatilized

sounds like something you'd get 5-10 for with a no parole period of 2 1/2

Wraith
29th April 2009, 12:40 PM
fiatilized

Fiat-alising

Oh No :rolleyes:

KID_SRi
29th April 2009, 06:14 PM
Fiat badging would suit Mr Corsa's Monster.
Fix It Again Tony ;)

poita
29th April 2009, 06:16 PM
Fiat badging would suit Mr Corsa's Monster.
Fix It Again Tony ;)

its fixed, and it goes.
fuk does it go!

topgear
29th April 2009, 10:37 PM
Do FIAT import cars into Australia? Or is it a 3rd party company like Ateco?It's Ateco, but then I also hear the Zagame group has something to do with their imports as well? :confused: hmmmm

Wraith
30th April 2009, 04:56 PM
It's Ateco, but then I also hear the Zagame group has something to do with their imports as well? :confused: hmmmm

Yeah, as said in my post Zagame are responsible for the local import and destribution of Ferraris and they also have other brands in their delearships as well :)

I'm assuming any Fiat parent company owned brand will be sold/handled here by them or Ateco as well...

KID_SRi
30th April 2009, 05:53 PM
its fixed, and it goes.
fuk does it go!

I know, Me & Tony go back a bit.
I was just have a Joke.

poita
30th April 2009, 06:35 PM
;) ;)

cbrmale
6th May 2009, 11:05 AM
I have my doubts on Italian quality if nothing else. After all, the Astra diesel engine is Fiat-sourced, and has been a troublesome thing over the years. Italian cars in general do not have the greatest reputation, even today.

My Astra is the first European car I have owned, and it has impressed me. The SRi is a good blend of sporty and practical, and an excellent compromise. It has a few weaknesses: more expensive to run compared to many, difficult to work on, underdone rear suspension. But by and large the strengths outweigh the weaknesses for me at least.

I am not tied to brands or models, so If I were to replace it tomorrow I'd probably look at the latest Golf. I suspect it has many of the strengths and weaknesses of the Astra, albeit more expensive to buy. But if I'm prepared to pay a few thousand more compared to a Mazda or similar, then the Golf may well suit me as my Astra suits me.

gman
6th May 2009, 01:28 PM
I agree..I love the TS Turbo and AH VXR/SRi-T Astra's..

if they stop coming to Oz and Ford doesn't bring the RS Focus then the Golf is really the only Euro Hot Hatch to go for...