PDA

View Full Version : Water spray in carby throat??

balker
26th April 2009, 02:23 AM
"I then tried the water bottle spray thing straight down the carby throat (this was to cure an engine run-on problem), and noticed that the exhaust was spitting out small, soft, powdery clumps of a black substance, about maybe 2-3mm maximum in major dimension. It cured the run-on, but more importantly cleaned my spark plugs up really nicely"

Found that on this thread (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showpost.php?p=420031&postcount=14).

Has anyone done this before?
Sounds a little weird to me?

DirtyHarry
26th April 2009, 08:31 AM
nah not weird, i guess it just helps remove carbon buildup in the engine.

SKM_87
26th April 2009, 11:38 AM
yep, not werid, clean up the carbon deposit in your engine that with a carby engine cause run on because the fuel inst shut off and they are red hot they ignite it just enough to stumble along a bit.

they jus dissolve the carbon.

gman
26th April 2009, 04:07 PM
Just like water injection..Think of it as steam cleaning for your engine..

Just need to be careful...Drops to big or too much water will kill the engine...Thats why some that use water injection swear by it...

balker
26th April 2009, 05:54 PM
It's only for carby cars right? Not for fuel injection like the astra?

CNBLU
26th April 2009, 06:00 PM
not just carby cars. couple of guys in the uk have an aquamist kit on their z20let. its meant to reduce engine cooling. just like NOS does:D

Wraith
26th April 2009, 06:28 PM
Yep, good ol old school carbie engine trick there, lots of us tried it on our old carbie cars !!!

Wasn't just for cleaning carbon desposits either, that was a hidden bonus of having water injection, it was for increasing power, as with it you could advance the timing much further and the water injection helped with cooling and knock control...

My cousin who's a grease monkey worked on a water injection set up for ages always tweaking and modifying it on his old worked up 250cu in Cortina, eventually trying different mixes of water and alchohol, it worked a treat in boosting power, also and kept his combustion chambers clean :D

SKM_87
26th April 2009, 11:20 PM
works on efi as well. as said the ultimate is a water/alcohol mix

gman
26th April 2009, 11:39 PM
Aquamist pump is meant to be the best. 5bar+ pressure...

Can be used on any car...Just needs to be set up right...Good stuff though...

CNBLU
27th April 2009, 08:55 AM
Thought this might help....

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/a40/Where-Do-I-Position-My-Water-Methanol-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html

balker
27th April 2009, 05:56 PM
With the carbon cleaning.

Would i spray water directly into the throttle body with the engine running? Say with a sort of water spray bottle.

gman
27th April 2009, 06:33 PM
It's not something I would really recommend doing unless you are prepared to put a fair amount of effort into it.

To work, you would need:

a high pressure pump;
a very fine atomising water nozzle;
a distilled water source

You need to get the water as fine as possible and also be able to regulate how much you putting in. At idle, it wouldn't be much I wouldn't think.

I am not sure exactly how it would work as a cleaner, however I imagine it would it involve getting the engine up to temperature, then when stopped running it at varying or stable mid RPM range while the water was sprayed in a very fine mist into the intake after the turbo/intercooler.

balker
27th April 2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah looks like their is quite a bit to it. Might leave it alone.