PDA

View Full Version : exhaust way too loud...

Keep'emRunning
22nd April 2009, 12:41 PM
..have a new 2.25" catback fitted, with magnaflow centre resonator and s/s muffler. I asked for something only a little bit louder than normal.

Drove it to work (30kms) and my ears were aching/ringing by the time I got there. Still think i might now be partially deaf :p

Doesn't sound too bad from the outside, but the magnaflow are reknowned for their bass like note, and I think in a 3dr astra, that low rumbling gets amplified in the cabin to the point of becoming painful!

The guy said he can add another resonator (current one is 15") but I'm sceptical whether this will help.. any ideas/experiences?

cheers

Calibrated
22nd April 2009, 12:54 PM
if its too loud. you're too old.

you must be too old

aza28
22nd April 2009, 01:12 PM
what sort of muffler design is it? what sort of resonator design is it?

bigger the body on the muffler the more sound absorption material it will have packed inside which will = quieter exhaust.

in my experience resonators or hot-dogs don't do much - if anything. why not try a mid muffler or two?

OR get an X-force varex muffler.

AfterBurner
22nd April 2009, 02:36 PM
Change the resonator, as this is what seems to be the problem. What is happening is that the resonator is 'resonating' the cabin space in the car, sounds low & droney correct???

You could try a bigger muffler as stated as well... 2.25" pipe is about the right size though as that is what my Vectra 2.2 has on it, i asked for 2.5" & the guy told me it would be too loud & recommended 2.25" instead.

AzzA

Keep'emRunning
22nd April 2009, 02:47 PM
one of these with a 15" resonator.. He said he could add another 15" resonator behind the first and it should improve. I don't think he wants to change out the rear muffler as it was $$$...

I guess I should ask for a mid muffler then if the added resonator doesn't work... is that what the std astra comes with ?

Funny how most exhaust places are run by guys with bad hearing though! :D

thx

ps.. yes, far too old :)

daiflu
22nd April 2009, 02:52 PM
I hear ya, I have 2 magnaflow resinators on my 3dr, and it's pretty loud. At first I thought it was too loud, but I'm getting used to it now. If it was my daily I'd probably be sick of it but I only drive it once a week.
With only 1 resinator I could imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable in the cabin.

gman
22nd April 2009, 03:02 PM
The resonator will remove certain frequencies from the exhaust which might be "resonating" around the cabin..

To actually make it quieter, the rear muffler would need to be changed or altered or the centre resonator will need to be changed or altered or exchanged with a muffler. Either make the centre resonator bigger, change design or different rear muffler...

Given the above, I think IMHO your going to need to either change to a new rear muffler or add at least the 2nd resonator or change to a new centre muffler.

I had to get a custom centre resonator made for my TS SRi-T...Was above $400 but was well worth it...

EDITED: questions answered above while I was typing :)

CNBLU
22nd April 2009, 04:19 PM
What car is it? auto or manual? what muffler are you running?

EL BURITO
22nd April 2009, 05:26 PM
if the pipe is attached to the car under the front of the cabin it will also cause additional resination in the cabin

AfterBurner
22nd April 2009, 05:35 PM
wtf -:yikes: where else would it attach???

Do you mean the point at which it is welded to the body??

That shouldn't matter as they use rubber o-rings remember, or figure 8's..

Shay
22nd April 2009, 05:50 PM
that what EL BURITO is sayin, if the exhaust is welded to the shell, ie they havent used the rubber exhaust mounts.

gman
22nd April 2009, 05:56 PM
that what EL BURITO is sayin, if the exhaust is welded to the shell, ie they havent used the rubber exhaust mounts.

Agreed...However if it is.....

RUN!!!!:yikes:

It should never be hard mounted to the chassis IMHO...

AfterBurner
22nd April 2009, 06:13 PM
No way would it be welded straight to the car, no exhaust bloke would do that, it's insane, the exhaust needs to flex & move around, it would last about 3 days welded straight to the floor.:yikes:

Think about torque twist etc... It's like saying that the engine is welded to the chassis...

maloo97
22nd April 2009, 06:54 PM
What car is it? auto or manual? what muffler are you running?

Believe its a Astra G Sri T

SKM_87
23rd April 2009, 12:12 AM
ok, dodgy exhaust people spoild mount. ive seen it. magnaflow are brilliant mufflers, best around. only problem, the centers are all 2 1/2 inch. smaller sizes just have tapered down nipples. cause problems with smaller piping. fit another resinator. get the 16 onch loong one. as far as i know magnaflow dont make a 15.

Keep'emRunning
23rd April 2009, 09:27 AM
thanks all.. it's back in the shop today, made it clear that it's not a ricer and needs to be driven every other day. He's actually done a brilliant job with it so far, mandrel bends, neat welding beads and new rubber hangers.. and the tip is perfectly centred in the bumper cutout and looks great. It's just too @#$^@ loud :)

On the way to work saw a new silver suzuki swift with twin 4" tips.. holy carp it was noisy... you could literally still hear it nearly 100m away.

maloo97
23rd April 2009, 10:32 AM
Where abouts you getting it done ker ? ?

CNBLU
23rd April 2009, 11:01 AM
i'd be putting my money on the SS muffler causing all the noise. i had a magnaflow rear muffler (which are great) but as soon as i put the varex muffler on it quietend down to a nice tone. (i have a 3inch turbo back)

isnt the stock exhaust size 2.25"?

Majobie
23rd April 2009, 09:21 PM
..have a new 2.25" catback fitted, with magnaflow centre resonator and s/s muffler. I asked for something only a little bit louder than normal.

Drove it to work (30kms) and my ears were aching/ringing by the time I got there. Still think i might now be partially deaf :p

Doesn't sound too bad from the outside, but the magnaflow are reknowned for their bass like note, and I think in a 3dr astra, that low rumbling gets amplified in the cabin to the point of becoming painful!

The guy said he can add another resonator (current one is 15") but I'm sceptical whether this will help.. any ideas/experiences?

cheers
Hey, you must have gone to the same exhaust guys as me, had the Magnaflow fitted to my AH CD last year and yes WAY WAY too loud, had to send it back to get 2nd reso fitted next day , now have a nice deep tone but still get a few nice vibrations in the cabin when you hit the 4k rev mark - dont need ear plugs to drive the car around...

SKM_87
23rd April 2009, 11:54 PM
its more about knowing the right combo's of mufflers that work with which engine size's.