PDA

View Full Version : Regal Astra VXR Stage 2 Venturi Turbocharger - Upgrade

chrissn89
19th April 2009, 10:00 PM
Regal Astra VXR Stage 2 Venturi Turbocharger:::

A reworking of the stock turbocharger, using OE casings....with the aim of making the most of what you already have, keeping packaging issues to a minimum and maximising power output for minimal financial outlay

This turbo uses an 80mm venturi for use with 80mm intake hose with the HUGE KO6R compressor blade and twin scroll design. Allows pipework to be 80mm all the way from AFM to turbocharger.

This gives high rev capabilities, high torque output and high power output. We have seen gains of 25/35bhp over a stock turbo with the same boost pressure of 1.3 bar/20psi.

The pop off valve is also sealed and blended to increase flow velocity from compressor housing.

Externally, they look stock! all original hardware can be utilised

The all new enlarged exhaust wheel with its cut back blades for fast spool-up while retaining high drive at high revs

At £1,449.99 (Including VAT at 15%) i wouldnt say its cheap but it sounds good :)

Pics and more info on the regal website,

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.regal-shop.co.uk%2facatalog%2fDbilas_Turbo_.html&WD=ko6r&PN=Turbocharger_Upgrades.html%23a5291#a5291

CNBLU
19th April 2009, 10:15 PM
so thats 1232.50 GBP which is 2548.01813 AUD excluding VAT

Not too bad for 25-35hp which would rate the turbo to around 330hp.

Looking for an upgrade Chris?

chrissn89
19th April 2009, 10:21 PM
Nope, just saw it and thought id share. Maybe later down the track, maybe :)

auzvectra
19th April 2009, 10:24 PM
screw that, garrett :p
the vxr turbo is cheap, and looks stock, for nething else i say garrett all the way ;).

chrissn89
19th April 2009, 10:29 PM
Im most likely just getting the VXR turbo once my stock one has died. Cheapest with a few Hp gain.

CNBLU
19th April 2009, 10:30 PM
So what power you running again Matt?

poita
19th April 2009, 10:37 PM
1 human power, when he pushes it aroundthe driveway :lol:

Neeko
19th April 2009, 10:41 PM
1 human power, when he pushes it aroundthe driveway :lol:

haha another poita funny ticked off the list lol

auzvectra
19th April 2009, 11:31 PM
screw u poita, i still got 3 gears :p.

i can drive it, i just choose not too, mainly as i will prob get pissed off with it n break another gear.

i'll let u know when i have had it on the dyno gav :p.
think i'll have to come down there 1 day, would be good to see both ours lined up at the tree ;).

CNBLU
20th April 2009, 09:14 AM
i think theres a road being build now called the frankston bypass. date of completion 2012. Did you need some more time?

poita
20th April 2009, 09:17 AM
rofl @ gav

mr corsa
20th April 2009, 09:39 AM
my garrett is being replace for the new borg warners from the states more power :yikes:

auzvectra
20th April 2009, 11:10 AM
my garrett is being replace for the new borg warners from the states more power :yikes:

damn, n i thought tony would agree with me for once :p.

ohwell, i was only expressing my opinion on the turbo's.

if u really want i'll come down this yr gav (next yr if i get stuck in training).

u really have no idea of the difference between garrett and KKK until u change it, this is the only reason i mention it. but if u all want to take on personal attacks on account of this then so be it.

as for the whole time issue, ne real modder knows that these things take time, especially when u keep adding to the list. this i know tony will agree with, as he has been adding to his constantly too.

my car has been running this whole time, except for times here and there that i was working on it, i just dont class the car as finished, as i still have more to do to it. and i will prob never class it as finished, as i'm always thinking of more mods to do to it, and doin them slowly.

so as i said, if it's that important to measure up with me gav, i will come down, i'll even do it at low boost as it is now if u want.

end rant, yes i'm cranky. haveing boost withdrawals :mad:

poita
20th April 2009, 11:19 AM
get out of the wrong side of bed mate?

well we all know what you mean, fark i havent even started on the motor yet.
im dredding it wen i do though

mr corsa
20th April 2009, 11:56 AM
dont get me wrong garretts are good but im chasing more power and the borg warners that are being made are in the usa are the bee's knees atm for racing

gman
20th April 2009, 12:11 PM
Are you talking about the "Extended tip" BW turbos? I have heard they are pretty good...

Nurb608
20th April 2009, 12:14 PM
Cost me 40K for an extra 22kw, but they threw in a free astra :D

mr corsa
20th April 2009, 12:26 PM
Are you talking about the "Extended tip" BW turbos? I have heard they are pretty good...
yes

Borg Warner turbocharger was created when 3K and Schwitzer merged to form the ultimate team of turbocharger developers. These companies have over 60 years of experience developing and creating turbochargers. Today this well know and respected company continues to set the mark for new technological standards in the turbocharger business. With their experience and knowledge it is not a surprise that many people trust and use Borg Warner turbochargers in their car, boat, or other system.
Borg Warner S400's

By extending the ends of the compressor wheel, BorgWarner has effectively increased the pressure ratio, efficiency and flow of the entire compressor.
This gives the S200, S300 & S400 pressure ratios and efficiencies that can normally only be had with larger, slower spooling turbos.
The extended fins do not hamper spool-up. The compressor wheel is designed to remove excess weight, reducing overall rotating mass. Of particular importance is the reduction of weight at the outer edges which is a major factor for reducing inertia. The weight reduction and where it is reduced allows these compressor wheels to spool FAST.
Another factor that increases the efficiency of the turbo as well as overall flow is the height of the compressor wheel blades. The BorgWarner extended tip version is over 20% taller than the standard 50 trim. The theory that the longer the air stays on the blades the more boost you can run and the more air it will flow thus improving the aerodynamics of the turbo. This extended tip compressor wheel is rated at more than 55 lbs/min vs. the standard 50 trim at only 49 lbs/min.

gman
20th April 2009, 12:33 PM
That's the ones...

I have seen a V8 running two of the S400 series and it looked v.strong....

Hmmmmm...New turbo??? ;)

Maybe a S200 S256 or S258.....

gman
20th April 2009, 12:43 PM
yes

Borg Warner turbocharger was created when 3K and Schwitzer merged to form the ultimate team of turbocharger developers. These companies have over 60 years of experience developing and creating turbochargers. Today this well know and respected company continues to set the mark for new technological standards in the turbocharger business. With their experience and knowledge it is not a surprise that many people trust and use Borg Warner turbochargers in their car, boat, or other system.
Borg Warner S400's

By extending the ends of the compressor wheel, BorgWarner has effectively increased the pressure ratio, efficiency and flow of the entire compressor.
This gives the S200, S300 & S400 pressure ratios and efficiencies that can normally only be had with larger, slower spooling turbos.
The extended fins do not hamper spool-up. The compressor wheel is designed to remove excess weight, reducing overall rotating mass. Of particular importance is the reduction of weight at the outer edges which is a major factor for reducing inertia. The weight reduction and where it is reduced allows these compressor wheels to spool FAST.
Another factor that increases the efficiency of the turbo as well as overall flow is the height of the compressor wheel blades. The BorgWarner extended tip version is over 20% taller than the standard 50 trim. The theory that the longer the air stays on the blades the more boost you can run and the more air it will flow thus improving the aerodynamics of the turbo. This extended tip compressor wheel is rated at more than 55 lbs/min vs. the standard 50 trim at only 49 lbs/min.

Here's a question for you Mr. Corsa (I'd like you opinion):

How do you think the BW S200/400 series stack up against the Turbonetics GTK series and the Garrett GT series?

Wraith
20th April 2009, 12:49 PM
Regal Astra VXR Stage 2 Venturi Turbocharger:::

A reworking of the stock turbocharger, using OE casings....with the aim of making the most of what you already have, keeping packaging issues to a minimum and maximising power output for minimal financial outlay

This turbo uses an 80mm venturi for use with 80mm intake hose with the HUGE KO6R compressor blade and twin scroll design. Allows pipework to be 80mm all the way from AFM to turbocharger.

This gives high rev capabilities, high torque output and high power output. We have seen gains of 25/35bhp over a stock turbo with the same boost pressure of 1.3 bar/20psi.

The pop off valve is also sealed and blended to increase flow velocity from compressor housing.

Externally, they look stock! all original hardware can be utilised

The all new enlarged exhaust wheel with its cut back blades for fast spool-up while retaining high drive at high revs

At £1,449.99 (Including VAT at 15%) i wouldnt say its cheap but it sounds good :)

Pics and more info on the regal website,

http://www.regal-shop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.regal-shop.co.uk%2facatalog%2fDbilas_Turbo_.html&WD=ko6r&PN=Turbocharger_Upgrades.html%23a5291#a5291

Sorry, but I don't get it...ie. just getting this mod done only by itself...

I mean I get the part about having a 242 odd kw capable turbo as Gavin mentioned, but who would think spending over 2 and half grand for a 25-35 hp gain is a good thing :confused:

mr corsa
20th April 2009, 01:09 PM
i cant give my opinion as yet i havnt really done a full research on the BW or turbonetics but i know with my garrett im on my 3rd one so i looking for a solution but here is a link from another forum about the BW
http://ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129435&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

CNBLU
20th April 2009, 03:43 PM
Calm down Matt, you'll have a hernia.

Nobody on here knows my plans for the future and i dont go by those future plans i go by how my car is now and i give an update so i can look back and say wow this is how my car has transformed.

Almost everybody is constantly looking at improving their ride, your not the only one. Just because you got a Garett, dont make it the mutts nutts. There are other alternatives.

Im sorry if you got offended but i was CLEARLY joking, just like you were when you go dissing the KKK turbos;)

Piece out bro

vectraguy01
20th April 2009, 05:21 PM
Id rather a garrett turbo anyday over a 3k one.

auzvectra
20th April 2009, 05:27 PM
no i didnt get out of the wrong side of the bed, just up earlier then normal :p.
still used to late shifts :(.

i was joking when i was saying bout the garrett over the kkk, but wasnt joking that i prefer the garret as i have said many times, but i have also said many times that the vxr kkk is good as a cheap, stock lookin upgrade over the factory kkk, but it is limited.

there isnt nething wrong with kkk turbo's, but the normal range just isnt a hi po range like the garretts have, all i am sayin.

and to explain the difference i was talking about, if u know of the lack of power until 3rd gear that the sri-t's have, that is the kkk not the ecu!!!
this is why i say, if u want to go hi-po then go away from the kkk.

and i was being serious about having boost withdrawals too!! :p.

gman
20th April 2009, 06:45 PM
Could even look t some of the latest IHI turbos off the STi's..

they can be pretty good if fragile...