PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it is true...

rjastra
2nd September 2004, 12:45 PM
Seems that all those rumours about Holden picking up Daewoo designs are correct

www.mellor.net has a report that the Barina will be replaced by a fully updated Kalos in 2005. It seems Holden is loosing money on the BArina at its currnt $13990 price

The Lacetti (or a derivative) will replace the Astra Classic in the sub 20K bracket.

Pricing of the NEW Astra will be aligned with the Mazda3. Meaning the base 5 door with be $21500 incl A/C.

Release date of the Astra is now October (Sydney Motor show)

Dee
2nd September 2004, 12:47 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!

~Kupu~
2nd September 2004, 02:12 PM
[marq=down:0207559546] :evil: :evil: thats dispicable!!!! :evil: :evil: [/marq:0207559546]

Mrs T
2nd September 2004, 02:34 PM
Rumours i have heard is this,

Holden brought Daewoo and cannot sell them, they will be stopping all imports from overseas although the lacetti will be rebadged and imported into Australia as wait for it TORANA! :bang:

I dont think that we will get an XU1 or SLR5000 if they do however i wouldnt get into a "Daewoo" 6 cyl

Dee
2nd September 2004, 02:38 PM
ohhhh god no.... not the torana... it keeps getting worse :(

/cries in shame

rjastra
2nd September 2004, 03:29 PM
the lacetti will be rebadged and imported into Australia as wait for it TORANA!

The TORANA nameplate was suppose to be used on a mid-sized RWD car built on the platform of the next generation VE commodore. Therefore i very much doubt it will be used on a Lacetti import.
Actually I would be suprised if the Torana nameplate ever resurfaces.

Mrs T
2nd September 2004, 03:48 PM
Well my friend is the manager at a holden dealership that sells Daewoo as well (since holden brought it) and he has heard this through the dealer principal. I am only sharing what i have been told. Unfortunatley in my opinion Holden have made alot of mistakes in the last year or so (since Hanemburger has left sorry for spelling) i wouldnt put it past them for this one. Personally i believe that if they did rebadge it as a Torana it wouldnt appeal to the correct people eg Old Torana buyers (I would buy a Torana if there was a new version of the SLR5000 but not if its a rebadged Daewoo)

However i do want to stress that i did hear it from a third party as mentioned earlier and it may not happen :)

Jass
2nd September 2004, 04:43 PM
Damn shame too cause there are rumours of a 130kw 1.8L Corsa coming out from opel!

Oh well once again we get short changed! :screwy: :bang:

Dee
2nd September 2004, 04:45 PM
Damn shame too cause there are rumours of a 130kw 1.8L Corsa coming out from opel!

oh god.. we can only dream now that daewoo has become part of GM :( i wish opel was a bigger part of GM than daewoo, so we can keep getting great quality cars :D

dug74
2nd September 2004, 04:52 PM

The model you are talking about is actually a 1.8L turbo model of the Corsa...which is rumoured to be in concept...and might be released in 2006.

They were going to either make a 1.8L T or 2.0L T OPC version. 130Kw or 145Kw.

Still up in the air....and if they did make it..i doubt it would hit our shores due to exchange rates and $$$$. Basically the same as the Focus....we only get the base models in Australia....lets all move to the UK for the TURBOS :D

Anonymous
2nd September 2004, 05:52 PM
Daewoo has pretty much always Been Holden, The Engines have been Built @ Fishermans Bend(Vic.) for Yonks based on the 1.8 SOHC Camira and 2.0 Calibra. So this was bound to happen if there is any truth in the Opel Retirement. Sources at Holden Head Office and HSV told me before the ZC Vectra came out, That if it Flops(Which it has) they will discontinue the Vectra Line. The Astra & Barina Line is safe. The $13990 Barina Deal is just to spark interest in that Price Bracket & to steal the Market from Hyundai Getz,Ford Fiesta and Toyota Echo(All Cost More) But Holden have done the Change Before. From Isuzu to Opel because of 3 major Reasons.
1.) They over Charged on the Isuzu/Holden Piazza
2.) 1.5 RB/JT150 was a Slug in Leaded Petrol Form
3.) If Isuzu and Holden struck a Deal in 1987 for the 120kw 1.5 Turbo Gemini(Irmscher R) and 2.0 Turbo Aska Irmscher(Same shell as Camira) They'd loose the Market for Brocks HDT Commonwhore Slugs.
The Commodore will always be Holden Flagship as to Fords Falcon.
But 1 thing for certain, The SLR5000 name will never arise again.
It flopped on the VR SLR5000 and died a Sad Death.

Jass
3rd September 2004, 07:39 AM

The model you are talking about is actually a 1.8L turbo model of the Corsa...which is rumoured to be in concept...and might be released in 2006.

They were going to either make a 1.8L T or 2.0L T OPC version. 130Kw or 145Kw.

Still up in the air....and if they did make it..i doubt it would hit our shores due to exchange rates and $$$$. Basically the same as the Focus....we only get the base models in Australia....lets all move to the UK for the TURBOS :D

Thats the one doug, but it had small feature in wheelz magazine of this month i think, same mag that exposes the Mazda MP6 driving around in the streets.

corsaboy
3rd September 2004, 09:42 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO There is no God! :bang: damn Daewoo Korean stuff. Buy it now at $13,990....after 3 years warranty worth $3,000 :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

corsaboy
3rd September 2004, 09:44 AM
I swear...does our country have "jipped" written on it or something?

jch75
3rd September 2004, 09:59 AM
the lacetti will be rebadged and imported into Australia as wait for it TORANA!

The TORANA nameplate was suppose to be used on a mid-sized RWD car built on the platform of the next generation VE commodore. Therefore i very much doubt it will be used on a Lacetti import.
Actually I would be suprised if the Torana nameplate ever resurfaces.

If the Torana name does resurface, it would be a huge mistake to use a Daewoo. No one likes Daewoos anyway so why would you buy one if it had a holden badge. ONLY if it was because you had a low top line purchase price. ANYWAY, I wouldn't be suprised if the Torana does resurface but maybe as the TORANA SSX.............how does that sound? Torana has to be aussie built, not imported.

jch75
3rd September 2004, 10:38 AM
Sources at Holden Head Office and HSV told me before the ZC Vectra came out, That if it Flops(Which it has) they will discontinue the Vectra Line.

At the end of the day, that is bad bad and even more bad. Maybe good for me becos I have a ZC - there won't be too many on the roads then which I will like. But anyway, what would be the cause of this?

Is the price for the CDXi at $46000 to high?
Is the price high compared to what..........(see below)?
Is the performance not good enough as compared to say a WRX.....?
Is it the size of the car?
What should they do to make the Vectra work for them?

I personally think its a great car and kicks the likes of the mazda6, honda accord, golf gti, alfa 147 gta, lexus and anything else in the category, some of which are significantly higher priced. Its biggest burden is the Holden badge - put a prestige brand on it and it would sell no worries. If you want Holden, you buy commodore unless you want a cheaper small car like ur Astras & barina. The Astra T is great value. Or for prestige, a statesman, caprice or grange.

Admittedly, the Vectra is a hyprid sports luxury coupe which does struggle to fit nicely between Astra and say your SS, mainly becos they have an SV8 selling for a tad over 40Gs. When the CDXi is $46000. ??? But is not just the price, its the shape. Its a new shape! Astras & Barina have a similar resemblence, then u have the aussie built sedans with their own look and now there is this 3rd shape.

When they decide to launch these things, they need the cars to look like a line up or a package of cars. Look at Mazda, the Mazda2 all the way up to the 60g+ rx8 have the same curves, headlights, sportly look etc. The Holden line up is like a bloody used car yard. All these cars with different shapes & sizes. Too me, when you place the cars along side each other, you wouldn't know they were the same brand. The ZC Vectra probably shouldn't have been release here until the new Astra was launched or at least, not 2 years a part.

They really need to specify a target buyer group, put forward one car with an appropriate price tag. I don't think there should be 10 Astra models at 10 different prices. They should be same price, 10 different options with the exception of the turbo and convert. Prices across the range should not cross.

Regardless of your thoughts of my comments above - where does this leave Holden? Does this mean future product development in the midsize market (which is booming) goes on FREEZE? Does this mean a midsize SSX or similar will never happen? I think they really need to rejiggle their entire strategy because they have the cars to do it, almost too many, but I think it is critical they have a strong presence in the midsize market. Not just for your $20G cars but also you $35G - $45G cars too. I don't think there is any shortage of buyers in this price range.

aussievectra
3rd September 2004, 11:08 AM
I read that the 2007 Corsa/Barina was going to have some Fait input in design. And the Jakaroo will be replaced by a Chevy Blazier from America.

Anonymous
3rd September 2004, 12:29 PM
jch75, I think its the Pricing and what ya get for the money, I love the ZC Vectra CDXi. It seems to me that ****wits wanna own Commodore(Berlina or Calais) over a Vectra because they have this Hair Brained Idea that a V6 or V8 Commodore is Quicker. But we all here are of a Higher Intelect and know better :)
1 of our new Members ADJ is a Salesman at Holden, He could tell ya a Bit about it :)

jch75
4th September 2004, 06:48 PM
jch75, I think its the Pricing and what ya get for the money, I love the ZC Vectra CDXi. It seems to me that ****wits wanna own Commodore(Berlina or Calais) over a Vectra because they have this Hair Brained Idea that a V6 or V8 Commodore is Quicker. But we all here are of a Higher Intelect and know better :)
1 of our new Members ADJ is a Salesman at Holden, He could tell ya a Bit about it :)

I agree.

NXA-16H
14th September 2004, 01:26 PM
I'm telling you now Boys n' Girls; If Holden intends to replace its future Opel Lineup with ANYTHING from Korea, they can kiss any prospect of future business from me goodbye.

Let's all vote with our feet and wallets on this one.

Dave
NXA-16H

journo
14th September 2004, 07:45 PM
I only bought a holden because it was really an Opel - ie designed and built to perform on Autobahns which means it handles really well at our boringly low speed limits.