PDA

View Full Version : New Astra Probably not coming to OZ

USC
16th April 2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62192&s_rid=theage:rainbowstrip:content2:16-04:16-04_newholdenastraleaked:newholdenastraleaked

“For competitive reasons, we’d rather not talk about our small car strategy.
“Astra’s a great car but it has to make business sense for us,” she says.

Holden will launch the Korean-built Cruze small car in the next couple of months and will also build a small car based on the same underpinnings as the Cruze at its South Australian plant from the third quarter of next year.

nuggz
16th April 2009, 11:27 AM
its a sad day hearing no more opels are being brought over

sooty
16th April 2009, 11:29 AM
its a sad day hearing no more opels are being brought over

Opelaus, a classic motoring society :p

dieselhead
16th April 2009, 11:31 AM
Good job, Holden! More Korean crap being imported while Ford just launched the TDCi twin clutch Focus, the brilliant Fiesta and is about to bring over the RS :)
On the other hand, what makes you guys think a Cruise built in Oz would be better than an imported one?!

GreyRex
16th April 2009, 11:36 AM
Nup

I just don't think it'll happen

TBH i don't think they could destroy their 'smaller' car market more than they have already (Barina/Viva/Epica). Removing the Astra... well why don't they just give up now? I'm not saying it's the be all and end all, but it's considered the only 'semi-premium' car in Holden's smaller range... and hence, priced accordingly (relative to their own range)

I think basing our own car on that platform, just won't work.

I dunno... I might be way off. Just how bad is this going to get?

Until Holden does actually confirm anything, speculation is just that... speculation

GreyRex
16th April 2009, 11:38 AM
...and is about to bring over the RS :)

Do you know something we don't?

From what I know, nothing is confirmed

sooty
16th April 2009, 11:41 AM
Do you know something we don't?

From what I know, nothing is confirmed

from what i read, FPV said they won't bring it over as they wanted to build their own in 2011 :cool:

Keep'emRunning
16th April 2009, 12:19 PM
.. thought they would have learnt a lesson from their Torana Sunbird days :)

Neeko
16th April 2009, 12:20 PM
we are getting the astra!!??....we arent getting the astra!!??
different news everyday!

imay
16th April 2009, 12:44 PM
Put simply in a "business" sense . . . why would Holden build an Astra-sized product (Cruze or whatever they are going to call it) and still import the (Opel) Astra to try to sell alongside it at a competitive price? Just doesn't make sense or cents.
They have already proved that many buyers are not prepared to buy a (Daewoo) Viva/Epica when the Astra (a more reputable product) is still available to them. However, remove that product from their line, and the expectation would, surely, be that buyers will then opt for the next "best" thing that wears a Holden badge.

In these troubled times - and they WILL get worse before they get better - the majority of buyers are going to look to value-for-money. Why part with the extra dollars for an Astra, when there is a Holden (i.e. locally)-built similar-sized and equipped car in their product line available for (initially) less $? Buyers will soon forget the Cruze's(?) origins when that's all that is available from their "favorite" brand name.

Sad days, yes. But that's the way I predict it will be. So enjoy your Astra while you can, because I can't see there will be another.

My opinion and 2cents worth!

Wraith
16th April 2009, 12:53 PM
Isn't Holden supposed to be going belly up ???

If so, nothing will be coming in the future ???

I wouldn't be too worried or concerned, eventually all Holdens except for the Commodore are going to be rebadged Daewoos anyway !

There are plenty of other good choices out there...in fact we're spoilt for choice these days, especially in the small and medium car market segments, hopefully some of 'those other' manufacturers will bring in more of their models range variants :)

imay
16th April 2009, 01:09 PM
. . . and another thing . . .
The Cruze platform also lends itself to a more diversified "motivational" package, i.e. diesel, hybrid, electric, or whatever. Therefore this would surely be the obvious choice to for Holden to pursue to increase their marketability in concerns of lower fuel/energy consumption, lower emissions, etc., vehicles for the future of the Australian motoring consumers.

USC
16th April 2009, 01:36 PM
Guys, keep your VXR`s and SriT`s in absolute mint condition...They will be classics soon and worth a fortune:D

Neeko
16th April 2009, 01:52 PM
Guys, keep your VXR`s and SriT`s in absolute mint condition...They will be classics soon and worth a fortune:D

hopefully not worth a fortune... i want one lol

gman
16th April 2009, 02:31 PM
So what would a Black one owner TS SRi-T from a "careful" driver that has seen a few track days with a few minor mods & 140,000km's on it be worth ya think? ;)

The SRi-T will be sitting in my garage along side my other cars for a while to come...

topgear
16th April 2009, 03:36 PM
Lol imagine years and years from now... people would be going OOoooo and Ahhhhh when they see a VXR drive past, and then you would have to insure your car with Shannons or something. hahaha

mitchv
16th April 2009, 04:22 PM
So what would a Black one owner TS SRi-T from a "careful" driver that has seen a few track days with a few minor mods & 140,000km's on it be worth ya think? ;)

The SRi-T will be sitting in my garage along side my other cars for a while to come...

Lol, Careful driver and Turbo charged car... am i missing something?

I am a "careful" driver with my VXR too... though it only has 6000km's on it.

Neeko
16th April 2009, 04:27 PM
Lol, Careful driver and Turbo charged car... am i missing something?

I am a "careful" driver with my VXR too... though it only has 6000km's on it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

how long have u had it for?

EL BURITO
16th April 2009, 04:36 PM
GM will prob go belly up, would not be surprised to see US and euro ford split in one last effort to keep one afloat.

Its a Asian market unless you buy German with a German price tag. Asian labour is cheap euro and American workers cost to much be it there pay checks or there health insurance cos its a backwards country

the Aus car industry has a high probability of going under, then all we will see is the stuff that can be afforded to put on a ship in high enough quantities to make it viable for the company's that produce.

U never know we may see a lot of the Fiats that are build in North Korea on our rds imagine how low there labour costs are

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:37 PM

Too many km's Gman :)

If they ever become worth anything (highly doubtful) the lower the kilometer count the better to fetch a good price...

I'm doing well in that department with my TS turbo vert, 5 years on and only 19,000km :)

Neeko
16th April 2009, 04:43 PM
Too many km's Gman :)

If they ever become worth anything (highly doubtful) the lower the kilometer count the better to fetch a good price...

I'm doing well in that department with my TS turbo vert, 5 years on and only 19,000km :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek: omg u people dont drive your cars!

thats amazing.

Ice
16th April 2009, 04:44 PM

thats amazing.

yeh but he has 3 others !

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:45 PM

thats amazing.

I have 4 other vehicles and counting, they get used alot, I average 30-35,000km per annum :D

The vert only comes out on required/special occaisions :)

That and the fact it's spent about 2 years of the past 5 years taken apart for mods/enhancements...

Neeko
16th April 2009, 04:46 PM

:yikes: didnt know :rolleyes:

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:46 PM

Almost right ;)

Neeko
16th April 2009, 04:47 PM
I have 4 other vehicles and counting, they get used alot, I average 30-35,000km per annum :D

The vert only comes out on required/special occaisions :)

That and the fact it's spent about 2 years of the past 5 years taken apart for mods/enhancements...

sorry fully spamming here, you should seriously start a thread of your car!

would love to see whats been done to it :)

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:49 PM
sorry fully spamming here, you should seriously start a thread of your car!

would love to see whats been done to it :)

You and most others on here are waiting for that...I've been slack about it, will happen though, i'll get Pauly to do the pics, it'll make his day or month :D

Neeko
16th April 2009, 05:02 PM
You and most others on here are waiting for that...I've been slack about it, will happen though, i'll get Pauly to do the pics, it'll make his day or month :D

:D:D

looking forward to it

imay
16th April 2009, 05:08 PM
5 years on and only 19,000km

Ange -- you are supposed to drive the bloody thing! You've missed the good vert weather again from the sounds of things. Get out there and make the car watchers go OOH AAH!!!

Neeko
16th April 2009, 05:10 PM
Ange -- you are supposed to drive the bloody thing! You've missed the good vert weather again from the sounds of things. Get out there and make the car watchers go OOH AAH!!!

or we will do it for you :D

Nurb608
16th April 2009, 05:12 PM

Still gotta get around to your place to check out the beast!

Hoya
16th April 2009, 05:41 PM
bye bye holden!
hello VW!

hahaha
can GM just sell opel to the arabs in UAE and then we can get opel in australia!
it would probably become the new VW! :)

Calibrated
16th April 2009, 06:25 PM
bye bye holden!
hello VW!

hahaha
can GM just sell opel to the arabs in UAE and then we can get opel in australia!
it would probably become the new VW! :)

my thoughts exactly.

as long as the arabs buy opel, and bring them to aus as a seperate entity, then holden can piss off for all i care.

MatsHolden
16th April 2009, 06:34 PM
then holden can piss off for all i care.

Great to see your support for Australian manufacturers, really fantastic. Maybe have a think before making comments like that about people that may lose their jobs.

mania
16th April 2009, 08:20 PM
Great to see your support for Australian manufacturers, really fantastic. Maybe have a think before making comments like that about people that may lose their jobs.

Is buying a Golf from an Australian VW dealership really that different to buying an Astra from Holden, a GM subsidiary?

Calibrated
16th April 2009, 08:23 PM
sorry thats just my opinion.

5 years and holdens lineup will be entirely daewoo's at the rate they are going. why not just rename themselves to daewoo?

the public wouldnt buy daewoo coz they were shit, slap on a holden badge, and suddenly people buy them? its brainwashing and deceit in my opinion.

cant polish a turd.

Calibrated
16th April 2009, 08:27 PM
Is buying a Golf from an Australian VW dealership really that different to buying an Astra from Holden, a GM subsidiary?
both cars are imported, therefore have zero meaning for "australian manufacturers"

the only car they still build themselves afaik is the commodore, which in itself is not the right car for the current market, hasnt been for a while, and wont be for a while to come. holden did it to themselves, my comment didnt and wont have any affect.

MatsHolden
16th April 2009, 08:29 PM

Ahh yes... VW don't manufacture any vehicles in Australia do they. Holden are a company in their own right even though they are a susidiary of GM.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was about saying that Holden can piss off.. not really needed to be said to be honest. Manufacturers in Australia need some hope for the future... And I'm not just referring to car manufacturers.

USC
16th April 2009, 09:17 PM

The Arabs might buy Holden too since they love commodores and change it to Opel Commodore.

dieselhead
16th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Hell yeah, the revival of the Opel Commodore! Now that sounds like a great plan! If they could bring a few Germans from Opel Germany to look after quality, even better! :D

rjastra
16th April 2009, 11:17 PM
You guys are loons.. Why the f*ck would the Arabs want OPELS... Dont they rebadge Holdens as CHEVROLETS?

PS... the Cruze is built on the same chassis as the new AStra. The current Astra in Oz has beem sinking in sales for over 2 yrs. That is the real reason Holden wont import the new one (though never discount Holden bring in a premium model only for the Astra).

Hoya
16th April 2009, 11:21 PM
You guys are loons.. Why the f*ck would the Arabs want OPELS... Dont they rebadge Holdens as CHEVROLETS?

even if it was called dogshit they would buy as they would profit from it!
LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY THEY MAKE FROM THE FOUL SMELLING WATER THEY SELL TO MAKE OUR CARS DRIVE!!!

gosh :cornut:

UnKnOwN
16th April 2009, 11:41 PM
“Astra’s a great car but it has to make business sense for us,” she says.

well the viva obviously didnt make much business sense in the end and yet theyre still going with the korean made cars,

daewoo went down in australia for a reason and now the daewoo line up is bigger than when theyre badged daewoo?

y didnt they ditch the cruze altogether and just bring the astra? isnt it suppose to be their best seller after the commodore, which sold a lot to fleet buyers?

rjastra
17th April 2009, 09:05 AM
y didnt they ditch the cruze altogether and just bring the astra? isnt it suppose to be their best seller after the commodore, which sold a lot to fleet buyers?
[/B]

Don't you read? Astra sales have been on the rollercoaster decline for the last couple of years. At the same time the sales of other small cars (Mazda3, Corolla, GOlf) have risen.

UnKnOwN
17th April 2009, 10:07 AM
yea but its still better than the viva no?

dieselhead
17th April 2009, 10:30 AM
I wonder why that is? Astra H was the best selling car in Europe two years ago and up there in the top since it was launched. Could be that Holden just fu#@ed up the market here down under by confusing buyers with Korean crap?

GreyRex
17th April 2009, 10:31 AM
yea but its still better than the viva no?

Viva's gone (even from their webiste). Thank god

Neeko
17th April 2009, 10:38 AM
I wonder why that is? Astra H was the best selling car in Europe two years ago and up there in the top since it was launched. Could be that Holden just fu#@ed up the market here down under by confusing buyers with Korean crap?

u actually never hear of the astra, ever.

oh and i would gladly help out Holden :) (german here)

GreyRex
17th April 2009, 10:44 AM
u actually never hear of the astra, ever.

oh and i would gladly help out Holden :) (german here)

Their focus has primarily been the Commodore... as that's 'Australia's' car, Australia's top seller, they one they spend nearly all their money on

But now the market has changed. They have an interesting time on thier hands now... more than ever

Neeko
17th April 2009, 10:50 AM
Their focus has primarily been the Commodore... as that's 'Australia's' car, Australia's top seller, they one they spend nearly all their money one

But now the market has changed. They have an interesting time on thier hands now... more than ever

very true. lets point out all the bad things about the commodore and actually introduce some cars we've had sitting here the last few years :p

cdxi
18th April 2009, 11:14 AM
sorry thats just my opinion.

5 years and holdens lineup will be entirely daewoo's at the rate they are going. why not just rename themselves to daewoo?

the public wouldnt buy daewoo coz they were shit, slap on a holden badge, and suddenly people buy them? its brainwashing and deceit in my opinion.

cant polish a turd.

We have all got to get over this Daewoo hurdle.

Daewoo went under and GM took over to create GM-DAT. It is a company in transition, gradually shedding the product lines developed under the old regime. The Cruze is a genuine world car, as much Opel as it is Daewoo as it is Chevrolet as it is Holden.

The Captiva was the first GM platformed GM-DAT vehicle. The current Barina (Gentra/Gentra X) will be replaced by an all new product before 2011 and the Epica won't be far behind. The Viva is now gone in Australia, although the wagon and hatch versions are still in production in Korea.

Whatever our automotive industry emerges as after this crisis, it will be very different from what it is now. Holden as a car company will also be different. By late 2010, we'll have the revised Commodore/Statesman and the locally built Delta-platformed cars as the company's mainstays. What they import will be sourced from whatever exists as a GM link from Korea, Germany or even USA.

Daewoo exists as a brand only in Korea. Holden now only has two pre GM-DAT engineered cars in its line up, one pure GM-DAT product (Captiva) and from next month, one brand new integrated GM product, which for us just happens to be built in Korea. The new GM world, of which Holden will probably be a key, will be platform based with brands sitting on top. Think Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Theta, Alpha etc..... and watch as those existing brands evolve.

Shaun
18th April 2009, 12:04 PM
Opel will not be sold in this country as a separate brand. I dont care what anyone here thinks or says the truth of the matter is the logistics of setting up a new brand in good times is quite a drawn out process and costly effort. For Opel to Establish its self in Australia it would require either one of two things to happen.

One: Opel (GM Europe) to open a new Head office Facility. Build a NPDC (National Parts Distrubition Centre) They would need to build a dealer network . (which would be quite a long process at this point in time as some long serving Holden Dealerships have gone belly up and dealerships are finding it hard in the market place to move cars at this point in time without adding another franchaise to the fold)

They would require to an a large advertising buget to give the brand exposiure.

Option Two: Find an importer (Such as other smaller manfacturers have set up) to bring the product in. In the current climate there arent many importers willing to take on the risk of something that could fail .

Foremost a fesablity study would need to be conducted which could take up to 2 years to avaluate the fesabilty of the brand value to Opel- GM (or whoever may own the company if such an event was to happen)

These are just some of the hurdles and red tape they need to over come. And even if Opel were to do so it would be at least 5 years before the brand would be in showrooms as its a long winded process.

If Opel Is expanding to the Middle east then it has been something that has been in the pipe lines for over 3-5 years i would suspect as its not something that could have happen over the last 3-6 months.

As for someones comments about the " Opel Commodore" being in the Middle East i believe your somewhat incorrect as Holden exports Commodore Variants to the Middle east under the Chev Branding. Chevrolet has had a strong hold on the Middle east market for over a decade and i highly doubt that Chevrolet and Holden are about to changed the branding over to Opel just because they are moving into the Middle east.

As for the Astra in Australia only time will tell if we will get the next gen astra.

Falling sales are normal trends for all car manafactuers. The Astra AH was released into the market place Late 2005. We are now in 2009. All Manfacturers exprience this. both the Golf and Mazda 3 are now into the next generation and both expricened dips on sales figures a couple of years ago. No different to what Holden Is expriencing right now with the current AH Astra.

Shaun
18th April 2009, 12:07 PM
We have all got to get over this Daewoo hurdle.

Daewoo went under and GM took over to create GM-DAT. It is a company in transition, gradually shedding the product lines developed under the old regime. The Cruze is a genuine world car, as much Opel as it is Daewoo as it is Chevrolet as it is Holden.

The Captiva was the first GM platformed GM-DAT vehicle. The current Barina (Gentra/Gentra X) will be replaced by an all new product before 2011 and the Epica won't be far behind. The Viva is now gone in Australia, although the wagon and hatch versions are still in production in Korea.

Whatever our automotive industry emerges as after this crisis, it will be very different from what it is now. Holden as a car company will also be different. By late 2010, we'll have the revised Commodore/Statesman and the locally built Delta-platformed cars as the company's mainstays. What they import will be sourced from whatever exists as a GM link from Korea, Germany or even USA.

Daewoo exists as a brand only in Korea. Holden now only has two pre GM-DAT engineered cars in its line up, one pure GM-DAT product (Captiva) and from next month, one brand new integrated GM product, which for us just happens to be built in Korea. The new GM world, of which Holden will probably be a key, will be platform based with brands sitting on top. Think Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Theta, Alpha etc..... and watch as those existing brands evolve.

+1.

I two agree with the above . I have only been telling people here the last 2 years that the product coming out of Korea will get better esp. with Holden in charge of design .

GreyRex
18th April 2009, 02:26 PM
Opel will not be sold in this country as a separate brand. I dont care what anyone here thinks or says the truth of the matter is the logistics of setting up a new brand in good times is quite a drawn out process and costly effort. For Opel to Establish its self in Australia it would require either one of two things to happen.

One: Opel (GM Europe) to open a new Head office Facility. Build a NPDC (National Parts Distrubition Centre) They would need to build a dealer network . (which would be quite a long process at this point in time as some long serving Holden Dealerships have gone belly up and dealerships are finding it hard in the market place to move cars at this point in time without adding another franchaise to the fold)

They would require to an a large advertising buget to give the brand exposiure.

Option Two: Find an importer (Such as other smaller manfacturers have set up) to bring the product in. In the current climate there arent many importers willing to take on the risk of something that could fail .

Foremost a fesablity study would need to be conducted which could take up to 2 years to avaluate the fesabilty of the brand value to Opel- GM (or whoever may own the company if such an event was to happen)

These are just some of the hurdles and red tape they need to over come. And even if Opel were to do so it would be at least 5 years before the brand would be in showrooms as its a long winded process.

If Opel Is expanding to the Middle east then it has been something that has been in the pipe lines for over 3-5 years i would suspect as its not something that could have happen over the last 3-6 months.

As for someones comments about the " Opel Commodore" being in the Middle East i believe your somewhat incorrect as Holden exports Commodore Variants to the Middle east under the Chev Branding. Chevrolet has had a strong hold on the Middle east market for over a decade and i highly doubt that Chevrolet and Holden are about to changed the branding over to Opel just because they are moving into the Middle east.

As for the Astra in Australia only time will tell if we will get the next gen astra.

Falling sales are normal trends for all car manafactuers. The Astra AH was released into the market place Late 2005. We are now in 2009. All Manfacturers exprience this. both the Golf and Mazda 3 are now into the next generation and both expricened dips on sales figures a couple of years ago. No different to what Holden Is expriencing right now with the current AH Astra.

That's true, apart from your comment about declining sales

The Mazda 3 was selling extremely well right to the end of its model life

So some manufacturers can buck the trend

rjastra
19th April 2009, 09:34 AM
That's true, apart from your comment about declining sales

The Mazda 3 was selling extremely well right to the end of its model life

So some manufacturers can buck the trend

As was the Golf.

The Mazda sold well because it was a good car at a very good price. Most sold were Neos though.

Holden must be thinking in a similar vein. From all accounts the Cruze will be very well priced on release. It's significantly cheaper in the UK compared to the model it replaced! A good car at a moderate price will sell I think (see Mazda3)

Did anyone else read that Holden have cancelled all orders for Astras at the moment until they can negotiate a better deal.

I think Holden have to decide whether they can sell the budget priced Cruze (for volume) AND maybe a premium priced imported astra (compete with Golf).

GreyRex
20th April 2009, 03:51 PM
Here's evidence of it getting worse

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62296

The future of Holden's second-best seller is under review, with currency fluctuations and commodity price increases threatening the future of the European-built Astra.

Holden has put a stop on imports of the Astra while it conducts price negotiations with Opel, the European subsidiary of General Motors that manufactures the vehicles.

Company spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale denies the two GM subsidiaries are locked in a dispute but says Holden has cancelled its April and May allocation of Astras until it conducts a review of its price structure. The decision means no Astras will arrive in Australia in June and July and could spell the end of the badge in Australia.

"The Astra is being studied at the moment and until we come to an agreement with Opel on pricing, we've placed orders on hold," she says.

The Astra situation is further complicated by the fact Opel is in the midst of a reorganisation that could see the company cut adrift from General Motors in the next couple of months as part of that
company's restructure.

Dealers are reporting the supply of Astras is already becoming restricted.

The situation is a blow to the company, which is struggling to cope with the slump in new-car sales.

Ms Lonsdale says there are still Astras available but some colours and models may prove hard to get.

The news comes as photos of the next-generation Astra have leaked to the internet ahead of the car's anticipated European launch at the end of this year.

Holden has sold a rebadged version of the European Astra in Australia since 1996 but Ms Lonsdale says the company won't reveal its plans for the car until it is ready.

"For competitive reasons, we'd rather not talk about our small-car strategy.

"Astra's a great car but it has to make business sense for us," she says.

The company will launch the Korean-built Cruze small car in the next couple of months and will also build a small car based on the same underpinnings as the Cruze at its South Australian plant from the third quarter of next year.

In Europe, General Motors sells the Cruze as a Chevrolet and the Astra as an Opel, with the Astra positioned as the more upmarket option.

The Astra is tipped to have a more sophisticated suspension set-up, more technology and a more up-market interior than the Cruze.

The same approach is possible for Australia, with Holden engineers and stylists developing a more up-market version to sell alongside the imported version of the Cruze.

Holden is committed to spending $450million on the Cruze, while the Federal Government will kick in $150million.

With that type of money, a range could be built on the same line, including a wagon and a small soft-roader. Holden currently sells the imported Astra wagon in Australia.

Holden's small-car strategy is crucial to the company's future in Australia, as sales of its bread-and-butter Commodore have almost halved in the past decade as buyers shy away from large cars.

The company's decision to sell a budget-priced, Korean-built Viva small car alongside the Astra has backfired, denting the company's small-car sales.

The Viva, introduced in 2005, was supposed to increase Holden's slice of the booming small-car market but had the opposite effect, with sales dipping while other brands enjoyed record demand.
Holden sold more than 30,000 Astras in 2005. Last year, it sold less than 15,000, while Viva sales totalled less than 6000. Sales of both cars are down about 20per cent this year, in line with the overall market downturn. The Viva has been discontinued.

Holden also replaced the Opel-sourced Barina and Vectra with Korean-built models that have been less than successful.

As the pictures show, the new Astra five-door looks like a winner.

With a longer wheelbase and wider stance than the current car, the new Astra looks sportier and is expected to be roomier inside, with improved crash protection.

In Europe, the Astra will be powered by a turbocharged 1.4-litre petrol engine or a choice of either a frugal 1.3-litre, 1.7-litre or 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine with low carbon dioxide emissions.

The Cruze will use a different 1.8-litre petrol engine and the 2.0-litre diesel.

The Astra bears a strong resemblance to the larger Opel Insignia, with its high rear end and low nose.

The range will include a sportier, low-slung and sleek VXR three-door model and a wagon. The VXR will get more aggressive styling and a more powerful 200kW version of the current Astra's 2.0-litre turbo engine.

USC
20th April 2009, 06:47 PM
As was the Golf.

The Mazda sold well because it was a good car at a very good price. Most sold were Neos though.

Holden must be thinking in a similar vein. From all accounts the Cruze will be very well priced on release. It's significantly cheaper in the UK compared to the model it replaced! A good car at a moderate price will sell I think (see Mazda3)

Did anyone else read that Holden have cancelled all orders for Astras at the moment until they can negotiate a better deal.

I think Holden have to decide whether they can sell the budget priced Cruze (for volume) AND maybe a premium priced imported astra (compete with Golf).

They got rid of Neo`s at the end of 2007 or start of 2008.

rjastra
20th April 2009, 08:43 PM
They got rid of Neo`s at the end of 2007 or start of 2008.

Sure? Redbook would suggest that they were sold in 2008 and were replaced by the Neo Sport (lol) by 2009.

Shaun
20th April 2009, 11:05 PM
Here's evidence of it getting worse

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62296

The future of Holden's second-best seller is under review, with currency fluctuations and commodity price increases threatening the future of the European-built Astra.

Holden has put a stop on imports of the Astra while it conducts price negotiations with Opel, the European subsidiary of General Motors that manufactures the vehicles.

Company spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale denies the two GM subsidiaries are locked in a dispute but says Holden has cancelled its April and May allocation of Astras until it conducts a review of its price structure. The decision means no Astras will arrive in Australia in June and July and could spell the end of the badge in Australia.

"The Astra is being studied at the moment and until we come to an agreement with Opel on pricing, we've placed orders on hold," she says.

The Astra situation is further complicated by the fact Opel is in the midst of a reorganisation that could see the company cut adrift from General Motors in the next couple of months as part of that
company's restructure.

Dealers are reporting the supply of Astras is already becoming restricted.

The situation is a blow to the company, which is struggling to cope with the slump in new-car sales.

Ms Lonsdale says there are still Astras available but some colours and models may prove hard to get.

The news comes as photos of the next-generation Astra have leaked to the internet ahead of the car's anticipated European launch at the end of this year.

Holden has sold a rebadged version of the European Astra in Australia since 1996 but Ms Lonsdale says the company won't reveal its plans for the car until it is ready.

"For competitive reasons, we'd rather not talk about our small-car strategy.

The company will launch the Korean-built Cruze small car in the next couple of months and will also build a small car based on the same underpinnings as the Cruze at its South Australian plant from the third quarter of next year.

In Europe, General Motors sells the Cruze as a Chevrolet and the Astra as an Opel, with the Astra positioned as the more upmarket option.

The Astra is tipped to have a more sophisticated suspension set-up, more technology and a more up-market interior than the Cruze.

The same approach is possible for Australia, with Holden engineers and stylists developing a more up-market version to sell alongside the imported version of the Cruze.

Holden is committed to spending $450million on the Cruze, while the Federal Government will kick in $150million.

With that type of money, a range could be built on the same line, including a wagon and a small soft-roader. Holden currently sells the imported Astra wagon in Australia.

Holden's small-car strategy is crucial to the company's future in Australia, as sales of its bread-and-butter Commodore have almost halved in the past decade as buyers shy away from large cars.

The company's decision to sell a budget-priced, Korean-built Viva small car alongside the Astra has backfired, denting the company's small-car sales.

The Viva, introduced in 2005, was supposed to increase Holden's slice of the booming small-car market but had the opposite effect, with sales dipping while other brands enjoyed record demand.
Holden sold more than 30,000 Astras in 2005. Last year, it sold less than 15,000, while Viva sales totalled less than 6000. Sales of both cars are down about 20per cent this year, in line with the overall market downturn. The Viva has been discontinued.

Holden also replaced the Opel-sourced Barina and Vectra with Korean-built models that have been less than successful.

As the pictures show, the new Astra five-door looks like a winner.

With a longer wheelbase and wider stance than the current car, the new Astra looks sportier and is expected to be roomier inside, with improved crash protection.

In Europe, the Astra will be powered by a turbocharged 1.4-litre petrol engine or a choice of either a frugal 1.3-litre, 1.7-litre or 2.0-litre turbodiesel engine with low carbon dioxide emissions.

The Cruze will use a different 1.8-litre petrol engine and the 2.0-litre diesel.

The Astra bears a strong resemblance to the larger Opel Insignia, with its high rear end and low nose.

The range will include a sportier, low-slung and sleek VXR three-door model and a wagon. The VXR will get more aggressive styling and a more powerful 200kW version of the current Astra's 2.0-litre turbo engine.

What i get from reading between the lines is that the next gen astra is going up in Price. It looks like Holden could be doing a couple of things . One dropping the Model Completely. Two hoping by cutting orders Opel will feel a drop in output and they are hoping they can obtain an upper hand.

Holden Admits the Viva wasnt the right car but the concept was right. Insaying that the Cruise appears to be the right car for the concept.

Holden has commited to a Small car production plant in Australia. However i can not see Holden Moving production of the Cruise to Australia. I think the Hidden Message could be one of 2 things.

There is mention of a Cruise Wagon and Soft Roader being produced. However i believe for those two models to be viable they would be produced for numerous markets.

So either Holden will produce an Astra In Australia or they will produce a cruise based product in Australia. Im tipping the cruise based product as it would increase export for Holden .

tim_
21st April 2009, 02:37 PM
Wellllll for me...

If they don't sell the new Astra it'll be a 3 or a Golf. I would have nothing else. Unless I win Oz Lotto tonight in which cast it'll be a Gallardo haha.

glider
21st April 2009, 04:32 PM

we heard that with the corsa

cya later astra

CDXIJET
21st April 2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah Astra's a great car but the average Aussie just wants a cheap car to get to work and back ,JAP cars are mass produced tin cans that are throw away jobs once they are done with .

Corolla reliable but not as reliable as the old models ,I have driven one hmmm they feel like jelly on the road and the doors feel like card board when you shut them ...

Mazda 3/6 don't really know much about them all I know is I am sick of seeing them around :mad:,it also seems that people in mazda3's and 6's don't like Astra's as I have found out and I am not generalising ,seriously everytime I pull up next to one they have a point to prove and want to drag ,they are the worst car owners ,take note next time you pull up next to one guys they think they own the bloody road....

Holden are trying to save money and the own arses by getting koreans to produce their cars ,why ? simple they work for peanuts and can produce cars out of cheap materials therefore reducing production costs also Asia is right next to us so no need for them to source an Opel from Europe that costs a shit load to import to Australia ...

I tell you if holden get any cheaper I am going to but a VW GTi and tell them to stick it but I'll still keep the CDXI as I know it's one of the last well built cars to display a Holden badge .............:)

poita
21st April 2009, 10:39 PM
i have a calibra and mazda 6, where do i fit in here.......

GreyRex
21st April 2009, 11:10 PM
Mazda 3/6 don't really know much about them all I know is I am sick of seeing them around :mad:,it also seems that people in mazda3's and 6's don't like Astra's as I have found out and I am not generalising ,seriously everytime I pull up next to one they have a point to prove and want to drag ,they are the worst car owners ,take note next time you pull up next to one guys they think they own the bloody road....

Really?

That has never happened to me

astrabob
22nd April 2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62296&vf=7

Looks like they aren't even bringing them in anymore, wonder if this means VXR's also????

GreyRex
22nd April 2009, 09:55 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62296&vf=7

Looks like they aren't even bringing them in anymore, wonder if this means VXR's also????

Posted on the previous page

astrabob
22nd April 2009, 10:37 AM
yeah.... so no orders being taken for VXR's then??????

CDXIJET
22nd April 2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry Poita this is just my opinion don't take it personal mate ;) you must be the one draging all the Astra's actually maybe they just like to give their cars stick ,just seems that way to me ,may sound like a stupid comment but is it just me that thinks Mazda owners think they are sort of superior to the rest of the crowd like their own secret community .....:confused:

poita
22nd April 2009, 09:07 PM
dw mate, i dont take offence. i know my mazda 6 is quicker than your astra.
so i dont have to race it. :p kidding mate ;)

lol its funny you say about the 'mazda crowd'

i joined up with a certain mazda forum, got a cold shoulder from the moment i joined.
i think i made about 3 posts, have never been back.

ok, since you are a new comer here i have a question for you
since your 'arrival' how have you found it?
completely 100% honest, pm me if you like.

stevedee3
22nd April 2009, 09:34 PM
"Astra's a great car but it has to make business sense for us," she says.On the Opel Belgium web site, a 1.8L five door manual base model Astra is €16,724. That's AU$29,641.97 today.

A Holden Astra CD is listed as AU$22,290 on the Holden web site.

Do the maths...

sooty
22nd April 2009, 09:44 PM
That's a good point actually.... i mean...straight off the vauxhall website's price list
(http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/offers/pricingAction.do?method=getPricing&vehicleType=C&requestType=privateinfo&brandCode=9T&x=18&y=9) Astra
Life 1.4i 16v (90PS) Twinport Manual (http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/configurator/vehicleConfAction.do?method=vehicleConfig&brandCode=9T&mpvCode=9TL48%20%20GBS2&modelYear=2009B) 5-door hatchback £14860.00

14 860 British pounds = 30 728.8557 Australian dollars

and that's for the 1.4 base model!
My car...with a bodykit
Astra
SRi 1.9CDTi 16v (150PS) Manual (http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/configurator/vehicleConfAction.do?method=vehicleConfig&brandCode=9T&mpvCode=9TS48%20%20LF68&modelYear=2009B) 5-door hatchback £20245.00
20 245 British pounds = 41 864.4471 Australian dollars

And i got mine for $28k brand new...either they're making loads of money....or holden is making absolutely nothing
or a VXR
Astra
VXR 2.0i 16v Turbo (240PS) Manual (http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/configurator/vehicleConfAction.do?method=vehicleConfig&brandCode=9T&mpvCode=9TO08%20%20MC6R&modelYear=2009B) Sport Hatch £21360.00
21 360 British pounds = 44 170.1452 Australian dollars

not so much difference there...

rjastra
23rd April 2009, 10:02 AM
And i got mine for $28k brand new...either they're making loads of money....or holden is making absolutely nothing
or a VXR

I suppose you have to take into account the average wage in the UK.

sooty
23rd April 2009, 10:23 AM
I suppose you have to take into account the average wage in the UK.

correct, but regardless of what people are earning, the car comes from the same plant, and costs the same to produce.

Nurb608
23rd April 2009, 10:43 AM
correct, but regardless of what people are earning, the car comes from the same plant, and costs the same to produce.

Can you convert it from the euro to aus dollars? lol

Considering import duties and taxes etc from germany may be different for the UK compared to Aus. Also depends on the deal each company struch for the purchase price from Opel, but considering the volumes delivered, you'd expect the UK to get a cheaper base purchase price.

sooty
23rd April 2009, 10:48 AM
Can you convert it from the euro to aus dollars? lol

Considering import duties and taxes etc from germany may be different for the UK compared to Aus. Also depends on the deal each company struch for the purchase price from Opel, but considering the volumes delivered, you'd expect the UK to get a cheaper base purchase price.

yeah i understand you obviously can't do a direct swap over, there are many different costs involved,but as you say...with the volumes sold in europe, and the comparatively miniscule travel distance, it's likely that they get them for a better price. So out of $10k AUD differece, they're still going to be making a bit of money.

Calibrated
23rd April 2009, 11:19 AM
supply and demand

CDXIJET
23rd April 2009, 01:54 PM
Not only that they are producing Astra's in Poland ,South Africa ,Ukraine ,Russia and they obviously have to be cheaper for them as they are produced in their own backyards ,sucks for us as they are sent so far all the way from Europe ...

It would have been good if they had a factory here to produce OPEL's especially the Insignia dammm it why can't we have the Insignia .........

http://i40.tinypic.com/73cxa1.jpg

SA33DS
23rd April 2009, 04:12 PM
hmmmm

does this mean my car might one day become a rare item in australia??

Hoya
23rd April 2009, 04:13 PM
Not only that they are producing Astra's in Poland ,South Africa ,Ukraine ,Russia and they obviously have to be cheaper for them as they are produced in their own backyards ,sucks for us as they are sent so far all the way from Europe ...

It would have been good if they had a factory here to produce OPEL's especially the Insignia dammm it why can't we have the Insignia .........

market size.
eg
poland + ukraine + russia = 230+ million ppl
sa+africa 1 billion+ ppl

of course it will be cheaper there as they can sell much more,
rather than our 20 million ppl and more of them going for japanese imports eg mazda subaru etc etc

just as much as id love to see opel in aus, it surely wont happen for a few more years

just look at what happen to SEAT, it was here for a 2 or so years and left.

CDXIJET
24th April 2009, 12:04 AM
market size.
eg
poland + ukraine + russia = 230+ million ppl
sa+africa 1 billion+ ppl

of course it will be cheaper there as they can sell much more,
rather than our 20 million ppl and more of them going for japanese imports eg mazda subaru etc etc

just as much as id love to see opel in aus, it surely wont happen for a few more years

just look at what happen to SEAT, it was here for a 2 or so years and left.

Yeah that was sort of what my point was revolving around but still even though 20 million people here and start up an OPEL plant in a few years time hopefully and compete against the asian car market ,but then again the car market is flooded with Asian made cars ......give up:mad:

Hoya
24th April 2009, 12:16 AM
the only way i can see them coming over is just importing the astra and selling it to fleets or people who want one/upgrade from the H
and then seeing the success of that and going from there