PDA

View Full Version : 2009 World Car of The Year Is..........

poita
14th April 2009, 07:23 PM
VW Golf

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/story/world_car_of_the_year_volkswagen_golf

The World Car of the Year is the Volkswagen Golf.

The Volkswagen Golf VI was chosen from an initial entry list of 51 cars. Judges described it as feeling ``more expensive than other family hatches, thanks to its solid build and high quality cabin (and) more refined than its rivals’’.

The top three contenders for 2009 World Car of the Year title were, in alphabetical order, the Ford Fiesta, the Toyota IQ and the Volkswagen Golf VI.

Related Coverage
First drive: the new Volkswagen Golf 6First drive: 2009 VW Golf GTIVW Golf R-line and 35th AnniversaryTest drive: Nissan GT-R GodzillaWater-fuel Honda Clarity turns the tideFiat 500: Baby rebornThe cars were from a list 59 World Car jurors from 25 countries throughout the world, including News Limited Australia’s national motoring editor, Paul Gover.

Each juror was appointed by the World Car Steering Committee on the basis of his or her expertise, experience, credibility, and influence. Previous World Car of the Year winners were the Mazda2 in 2008, the Lexus LS460 in 2007, the BMW 3-Series in 2006, and the Audi A6 in 2005.

The 2009 World Performance Car award went to the Nissan GT-R, beating the Corvette ZR1 and the Porsche 911 Carrera. ``This GT-R – the R35 – throws even former GT-Rs into the weeds via an all-new 3.6-liter bi-turbo V-8. The drive of the GT-R, especially on a track, reveals an incredibly flexible all-wheel-drive chassis that lays down the rubber whenever you request it,’’ judges said.

The Honda FCX Clarity was declared the 2009 World Green Car, with expert environmental judges saying is ``an utterly real, hydrogen-fuelled luxury sedan that provides the amenities people expect in a premium car’’.

Meanwhile, the Fiat 500 was awarded the 2009 World Car Design of the Year. “Icon is an overused word in the automotive world, but the Fiat 500 dating from 1957 genuinely deserves the sobriquet. Revived by Fiat last year, the new Cinquecento is larger than its predecessor but still smaller than a Mini. Cheerful and cheeky, it does a brilliant job of capturing the visual appeal of the original version while meeting modern design and engineering standards.’’

"The Golf is a safe choice and no surprise given the global spread of the World Car voting panel. It's not as adventurous as the Toyota iQ, or as surprisingly sporty as the Ford, but still a classy car which is going to be a worldwide best seller," Gover says.

"The GT-R was always the odds-on favourite for the Performance Car award, for so many reasons, even if Porsche still disputes is benchmark track time at the Nurburgring.

"And what can you say against the Honda Clarity, which is the world's first true production car to run on hydrogen with a fuel-cell powerplant? It is the most significant new car in decades and proves there can be a realistic motoring future beyond oil."

http://carsguide.news.com.au/images/uploads/vw_golf_vi_2.jpg

gman
14th April 2009, 07:27 PM
Safe choice...

The GTR was always going to win it, unless "Zee Germans" were on the voting panel...

Only, the R35 GTR is 3.8lts not 3.6lts I think.... :hand:

glider
14th April 2009, 07:28 PM
This GT-R – the R35 – throws even former GT-Rs into the weeds via an all-new 3.6-liter bi-turbo V-8. The drive of the GT-R, especially on a track, reveals an incredibly flexible all-wheel-drive chassis that lays down the rubber whenever you request it,’’ judges said.

i thought it was a v6?

sooty
14th April 2009, 07:29 PM
very predictable on all counts...

should be 3.8ltr V6, not 3.6L V8 lol...as mentioned

gman
14th April 2009, 07:31 PM
This GT-R – the R35 – throws even former GT-Rs into the weeds via an all-new 3.6-liter bi-turbo V-8. The drive of the GT-R, especially on a track, reveals an incredibly flexible all-wheel-drive chassis that lays down the rubber whenever you request it,’’ judges said.

i thought it was a v6?

3.6Lt V8 not a 3.8Lt V6???

I think the copy boy transposed a couple of numbers there

USC
14th April 2009, 07:54 PM
If you go to the link, people have been complaining heaps about VW...apparently, they are unreliable, parts cost a fortune and service costs are high too. Apart from interior build quality, they say its not a very good car...hmm....I wonder if that is true:confused:

GreyRex
14th April 2009, 07:57 PM
If you go to the link, people have been complaining heaps about VW...apparently, they are unreliable, parts cost a fortune and service costs are high too. Apart from interior build quality, they say its not a very good car...hmm....I wonder if that is true:confused:

Cbf reading it, but this is a good way to tell...

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/volkswagen/golf/

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/volkswagen/gti/

rjastra
15th April 2009, 09:12 AM

Euro cars never seem to be as "reliable" as japanese cars. Yet they invariably seem nicer to own and drive. Take your pick I suppose... reliable, boring, relatively unrefined small japanese cars or the euros.

The new tech on the Golf VI is stuff you would have only found on top shelf luxo barges only a few years ago. Park assist, adaptive cruise control, 6/7 speed auto boxes, turbo direct injection engines on the base spec car.

Comparible japanese small cars still ask you to put up with optional esp and side airbags, 4 speed autos and old tech normally aspirated engines (no direct injection etc in sight). I suppose it is easier to make a reliable car if you keep regurgitating the same tech year after year. ;)

btm
15th April 2009, 09:35 AM
why do only 51 cars get initially chosen? is this short listed down already?

Vectracious
15th April 2009, 03:49 PM
Speaking about reliability - it will be interesting to see how the DSG boxes and even the twincharge motors hold up in a few years when the car has 200,000+ km's behind it - and "if" they did go wrong, how much will it cost to fix it.

In saying that though - I wouldn't say no to a new Golf - my business partner may be getting one of them soon (1.4 DSG)

rjastra
15th April 2009, 03:54 PM
In saying that though - I wouldn't say no to a new Golf - my business partner may be getting one of them soon (1.4 DSG)

The 90TSI model or the 118TSI?

If I am not mistaken the 90TSi can be chipped to around 110kw (up from 90) and the 118TSi can be chipped to somewhere near 150kw.

Vectracious
15th April 2009, 03:58 PM

If I am not mistaken the 90TSi can be chipped to around 110kw (up from 90) and the 118TSi can be chipped to somewhere near 150kw.

the 118. He's taken a few cars for a test drive now (new Impreza, new Lancer, AH Astra, and the Focus i think) and the VW was the only one that he found fun to drive - the rest were pretty boring and nothing stood out - in his eyes anyway.

150kW from a 1.4 is huge! what's the torque like?

topgear
15th April 2009, 04:25 PM

Oh so the numbers now refer to kilowatts and not bhp or ps like they used to for even australian bound VWs?

Vectracious
15th April 2009, 04:36 PM
I dont remember VW using bhp/ps in any model names.. :confused:

sooty
15th April 2009, 04:37 PM
those 1.4 TSi's aren't half quick :cornut: i was very impressed!

topgear
15th April 2009, 04:53 PM
I dont remember VW using bhp/ps in any model names.. :confused:
Maybe I'm thinking of another entire brand... Ignore that

Vectracious
15th April 2009, 04:57 PM
Maybe I'm thinking of another entire brand... Ignore that

Probably Renault :)

rjastra
15th April 2009, 10:53 PM
the 118. the rest were pretty boring and nothing stood out - in his eyes anyway.

150kW from a 1.4 is huge! what's the torque like?

Around 300Nm i think.

Vectracious
16th April 2009, 08:16 AM
Around 300Nm i think.

thats about equivalent or better than what you got out of stock hot hatches from 2 years ago - very impressive from a small engine..

rjastra
16th April 2009, 09:23 AM
thats about equivalent or better than what you got out of stock hot hatches from 2 years ago - very impressive from a small engine..

http://www.abt-sportsline.de/uploads/tx_comabt/5K0_114_210_CAVD_DSG_D.pdf

Neeko
16th April 2009, 09:39 AM
i'm definitely liking the new golf :)

sounds like a great car indeed

Euro cars never seem to be as "reliable" as japanese cars. Yet they invariably seem nicer to own and drive. Take your pick I suppose... reliable, boring, relatively unrefined small japanese cars or the euros.

The new tech on the Golf VI is stuff you would have only found on top shelf luxo barges only a few years ago. Park assist, adaptive cruise control, 6/7 speed auto boxes, turbo direct injection engines on the base spec car.

Comparible japanese small cars still ask you to put up with optional esp and side airbags, 4 speed autos and old tech normally aspirated engines (no direct injection etc in sight). I suppose it is easier to make a reliable car if you keep regurgitating the same tech year after year. ;)

thats why toyotas are so reliable

Wraith
16th April 2009, 12:44 PM
i'm definitely liking the new golf :)

sounds like a great car indeed

Me too :)

And as mentioned in another thread, 2 better/more exciting variants to follow next year...

A 2.0ltr twin turbo diesel at 150kw - most likely never to make it to Aust though :(

And a 195kw AWD R20T Gti variant....(same engine and running gear as Audi S3 and TTS)

Neeko
16th April 2009, 12:47 PM
Me too :)

And as mentioned in another thread, 2 better/more exciting variants to follow next year...

A 2.0ltr twin turbo diesel at 150kw - most likely never to make it to Aust though :(

And a 195kw AWD R20T Gti variant....(same engine and running gear as Audi S3 and TTS)

wow that would pick up eh

Wraith
16th April 2009, 12:56 PM
wow that would pick up eh

It'll be a pocket rocket for sure yes, ie. the R20T !!!

ARP already have a remap that puts that powerplant at 240kw / 450nm

That higher power and torque output along with the Haldex 4 AWD and DSG is good for sub 5's to 100km/h and low 13's oe maybe even high 12's over the 400m sprint !!!

Neeko
16th April 2009, 01:05 PM
It'll be a pocket rocket for sure yes, ie. the R20T !!!

ARP already have a remap that puts that powerplant at 240kw / 450nm

That higher power and torque output along with the Haldex 4 AWD and DSG is good for sub 5's to 100km/h and low 13's oe maybe even high 12's over the 400m sprint !!!

this will decimate all....

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:30 PM
this will decimate all....

Not quite - but it will beat many others, the R20T should definitely be the best Golf (performance wise) ever :)

Neeko
16th April 2009, 04:42 PM
Not quite - but it will beat many others, the R20T should definitely be the best Golf (performance wise) ever :)

was quoting The Fast and The Furious lol

this should decimate all.... if we put about 10 to 15k into it, and get overnight parts from japan :) lol

Wraith
16th April 2009, 04:52 PM
was quoting The Fast and The Furious lol

this should decimate all.... if we put about 10 to 15k into it, and get overnight parts from japan :) lol

Oh I see... :lol:

rjastra
17th April 2009, 09:08 AM
I would suggest everyone go an have a sit in a new Golf. The interior quality is amazing for what starts as a $25K car. Sit in one with leather trim and there is no real reason to spend more on something like an Audi A3 or BMW 1 series.

USC
17th April 2009, 09:26 AM
I would suggest everyone go an have a sit in a new Golf. The interior quality is amazing for what starts as a $25K car. Sit in one with leather trim and there is no real reason to spend more on something like an Audi A3 or BMW 1 series.

but the thing is the exterior is not particularly sexy...in my opinion anyway...

GreyRex
17th April 2009, 09:32 AM
but the thing is the exterior is particularly sexy...in my opinion anyway...

I saw one in silver a few days ago. Had wheels which sort of look like smaller Caprice ones... like a double spoke polished look.

It definately made me look twice

USC
17th April 2009, 09:49 AM
I still prefer the Golf V. The rear lights look better I reckon.

Wraith
17th April 2009, 12:57 PM
I'll have to go and check one out, I'm really liking them :)

Speaking of the Mk5 tail lights, I saw one not too long ago which had an LED set, similar to what's on the Passat, Eos etc. ie. same shape as the Mk5 ones, but LED inside...looked very good, not sure if they're aftermarket or factory option ??

Vectracious
17th April 2009, 01:36 PM

have they improved the quality over the Mk V? - as that was one of the major criticisms when it came out.

Shaun
18th April 2009, 12:15 PM
Speaking about reliability - it will be interesting to see how the DSG boxes and even the twincharge motors hold up in a few years when the car has 200,000+ km's behind it - and "if" they did go wrong, how much will it cost to fix it.

Im told the DSG twin clutches a replaced every 60,000km and are a charged to the customer as they are a consumable part. And i believe they arent cheap either. 60,000km is in excess of $1800.(AUD)

rjastra
19th April 2009, 09:27 AM
Im told the DSG twin clutches a replaced every 60,000km and are a charged to the customer as they are a consumable part. And i believe they arent cheap either. 60,000km is in excess of $1800.(AUD)

Where did you read this? And is it the 7 speed or 6 speed DSG?

Vectracious
20th April 2009, 10:14 PM

i'm intersted to know too because if this is the case, I'm going to think very carefully about my next car because it was most likely going to be something from VAG with a DSG.

Wraith
21st April 2009, 03:20 PM

I'd like to know also...have never heard this mentioned from people with Audis with well over 100,000km on them :confused:

I'll pop the question on an Audi forum I'm a member of, up until now I've never heard of DSG clutch changes at 60,000km intervals ???

rjastra
21st April 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd like to know also...have never heard this mentioned from people with Audis with well over 100,000km on them :confused:

I'll pop the question on an Audi forum I'm a member of, up until now I've never heard of DSG clutch changes at 60,000km intervals ???

I do know the wet cluth (6 speed VW) models do need periodic changes of the gearbox oil...

Neeko
27th May 2009, 04:44 PM
similar but the polo concept :)

http://www.dieselstation.com/img/Volkswagen/Polo-Worthersee-2009-Concept-Car/Volkswagen-Polo-Worthersee-2009-Concept-Car-01.jpg (http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/volkswagen-polo-worthersee-2009-concept-car-a1782.html)

http://www.dieselstation.com/img/Volkswagen/Polo-Worthersee-2009-Concept-Car/Volkswagen-Polo-Worthersee-2009-Concept-Car-02.jpg (http://www.dieselstation.com/cars/volkswagen-polo-worthersee-2009-concept-car-a1782.html)

hot hatches are making a bold return

sooty
27th May 2009, 04:47 PM
rear end looks like it's going back to the model before current (9n i think)
Front just looks like a baby golf.

Neeko
27th May 2009, 04:53 PM
arent they same mags as nuggs??

sooty
27th May 2009, 05:00 PM
nah, look like some AMG wheels though.
And pretty similar to some of the OZ wheels that are around atm.