PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarms - Need to upgrade

poita
13th April 2009, 11:04 PM
Anyone know anything about car alarms?

Can get a Python 1090 for about $650 posted, wat do people think of these?

info given

6-channel remote start/security/keyless entry system
Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver color OLED screen
30 unique animations provide status, alerts, and function confirmation
Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
Parking Light Flash
Failsafe® Starter Kill
Anti-Grind
Stinger® DoubleGuard® Shock Sensor
Revenger® Six-Tone Siren
Bright Blue LED Status Indicator
Miniature XCRS (Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite)
Defroster Output
Built-in Turbo Timer
Dome Light Supervision
Comfort Closure
4 Auxiliary Outputs
Horn Honk
Includes One 2-way Responder Transceiver
Color on-screen animation
Audible and visual output for Notifications
Notification replay
12 Hour Clock
Remote control battery level indicator
Power saver sleep mode
Beeps on/off
Page Mode on/off
Programmable alarm trigger animations & icons
2-way garage door module capable

same as the top notch viper system people..... made by the same people if u go back through the company..... parts and warranty are the same also.....

Jerram
13th April 2009, 11:11 PM
man with a system like that you'd think that Bundy was essentially a town made up entirely of car thieves.

poita
13th April 2009, 11:12 PM
im about to spend a heap of money on my car, i like to see it in the driveway every morning.

thanks for not helping

Jerram
13th April 2009, 11:22 PM
well look if you ask me the biggest problem with a drive-way car in this day & age is not people stealing it, it's people vandalizing it, for which a security camera is a great deterrent. (not saying it has to be real either).

Also how do people steal cars if they don't have a key (assuming of course there's an immobiliser)? Also how do all the fancy features of that thing help you when the dudes want to just haul the car onto a truck? (Eg. Yeah I know there's a siren, but every other car alarm has that).

Im not trying to be rude, but is that alarm going to be any more effective at stopping people nicking your car then something cheaper? Something that would be effective is GPS tracking, but if that one has it it certainly doesn't make it clear to the layperson that it does.

poita
13th April 2009, 11:29 PM
well im asking cause i have nfi about alarms brands, features etc

thats y im asking for people who know about alarms, or this one in particular for help.

do you know anything about alarms or this one in particular?

DirtyHarry
14th April 2009, 08:12 AM
i think your wasting your money on that alarm.
if you have a astra or vectra which has the immobiliser already, all you really need is just a "upgrade alarm", which works off your existing central locking (ie you dont end up with another set of remotes) and wiring.
They are cheap and easy to install - about half the price of what you would pay for that one.

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 08:52 AM
Pretty sure this is for poita's calibra. Have a chat to FrankstonCarAudio, he'd be the best bloke to talk to about these things considering he sells and fits them.

emiliok
14th April 2009, 09:21 AM
they use the viper ones on pimp my ride lol assuming theres a couple of thousands of dollars worth of parts in all those cars, i'd say those alarms are top notch. now im no expert but i've looked into alarms a little bit, and i'd go for the one uve selected, regardless of the price tag :)

rjastra
14th April 2009, 09:58 AM
they use the viper ones on pimp my ride lol assuming theres a couple of thousands of dollars worth of parts in all those cars, i'd say those alarms are top notch. now im no expert but i've looked into alarms a little bit, and i'd go for the one uve selected, regardless of the price tag :)

We had a car alarm go off for 45mins near home. The owner lived 3 doors down and didn't even wake up. Seemed to wake everyone else up in the street. Didn't realise until the police knocked on his door.
Us "neighbours" wished someone had knicked the bloody thing. Actually one neighbour walked up to the car after 30 mins and gave it a few well placed whacks with his walking stick.

In other words... alarms do nothing except annoy other people who don't give a rat's arse about YOUR car :)

oneightoo
14th April 2009, 10:09 AM
gotta say rjastra is right.. everytime i hear an alarm i dont do anything..

i know bugger all about alarms pete, but i think personally i would go for something that has good rep for the immobiliser, go a kill switch even..

if someone wants to steal your car the alarm isnt going to deter them.. if they cant get it, the worse they'll do is vandalise it..

just my 3 rupee

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 10:13 AM
We had a car alarm go off for 45mins near home.

Pretty sure it's illegal for a car alarm, or any alarm to sound that long as the owner can be fined for noise pollution, well in vic anyway. Can't remember the exact amount of time, something like 5 mins or something.

oneightoo
14th April 2009, 10:15 AM
Pretty sure it's illegal for a car alarm, or any alarm to sound that long as the owner can be fined for noise pollution, well in vic anyway. Can't remember the exact amount of time, something like 5 mins or something.

not if it's before 11pm

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 10:51 AM
NSW Legeslation below, not sure on other states

How long can an
alarm legally sound?

For vehicles, it is an offence for
an intruder alarm to sound for
more than:
> 45 seconds for cars
manufactured after
1 September 1997
> 90 seconds for older cars.
There is no offence when:
> a vehicle window or
windscreen was broken
or removed
> the motor vehicle was
involved in an accident
> the motor vehicle was broken
into or an attempt was
made to break into it.

poita
14th April 2009, 11:07 AM
thanks, i think.....

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 11:13 AM
thanks, i think.....

lol, as i said, speak to FrankstonCarAudio (http://www.opelaus.com/forums/member.php?u=3190). he'd be the most knowledgble. might even get you one cheaper ;)

Calibrated
14th April 2009, 11:33 AM
only saw this thread now.

so i'll give my 2cents worth.

650 is a very decent price on one! cant argue with that. could possibly get it slighlty cheaper, i'll see if i can sort something out for u pete.

with regards to the features.

you'll need a manual switch aswell for the remote start to work. they are about 50 bucks.

the alarm siren is ****ing annoying. but does create a lot of attention.
the pager system is brilliant. probably the best feature on that package.

if it is setup properly, it will sense movement inside the car, movement of the car, window smashes, gradient changes, and will have a reserve power backup so it wont be disconnected by cutting power from the main battery.

i say go for it.

oh, and please install a boot popper with it :D

oneightoo
14th April 2009, 12:24 PM
it is an offence for
an intruder alarm to sound for
more than:
> 45 seconds for cars
manufactured after
1 September 1997
> 90 seconds for older cars.
There is no offence when:
> a vehicle window or
windscreen was broken
or removed
> the motor vehicle was
involved in an accident
> the motor vehicle was broken
into or an attempt was
made to break into it.

so really, it's only an "offence" if your alarm goes off for any reason other than what it's intended for..

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 12:34 PM
so really, it's only an "offence" if your alarm goes off for any reason other than what it's intended for..

lol, yup. don't know how they would prove it though. the time limits still apply though regardless.

Calibrated
14th April 2009, 12:39 PM
lol, yup. don't know how they would prove it though. the time limits still apply though regardless.

yes and no.

what you will find, is that those are the time limits per sequence.

after that period of time, the alarm should reset itself. for example, it was a big gust of wind that set off the alarm.

however, if the problem still exists, i.e. a broken window. the alarm will reset, find the problem again, therefore setting off the siren again.

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 02:01 PM
yes and no.

what you will find, is that those are the time limits per sequence.

after that period of time, the alarm should reset itself. for example, it was a big gust of wind that set off the alarm.

however, if the problem still exists, i.e. a broken window. the alarm will reset, find the problem again, therefore setting off the siren again.

Correct, sorry, should have stated that.

btm
14th April 2009, 03:09 PM

same with your horn too

USC
14th April 2009, 04:34 PM
that wont prevent people from breaking your window...happened to me...unless your alarm has motion sensor and does not work only off the locks...but ur car will already be damaged.

Calibrated
14th April 2009, 05:53 PM
that wont prevent people from breaking your window...happened to me...unless your alarm has motion sensor and does not work only off the locks...but ur car will already be damaged.
get perspex windows :D

ROCCO
14th April 2009, 09:58 PM
speak to the frankston car audio guy on here...i'm sure he could hook you up with something.
I'd personally stick with viper there the only ones with the voice module in there alarms...thats the one i'm thinking of getting......"VIPER ARMED"

Calibrated
14th April 2009, 10:40 PM
speak to the frankston car audio guy on here...i'm sure he could hook you up with something.
I'd personally stick with viper there the only ones with the voice module in there alarms...thats the one i'm thinking of getting......"VIPER ARMED"
Viper and Python are exactly the same.

same product, same distributors (Directed Electronics), different branding.

poita
14th April 2009, 10:40 PM
well i did a shit load of research on it, spoke to a few ppl in the business about it

made him a stupidly low offer for it, and well i bought it.

thanks for the help, i think

btw cameras wont stop theft, just shows the bastards doing it.
if ppl really want to steal a car they can get teh key to watever cars tehy want.
gps tracking modules arent cheap and have a yearly monitoring fee.
and cop interference from a lot of stuff.

i know that there is no 100% fail proof method but this is a dam good start to stopping anyone

Calibrated
14th April 2009, 10:48 PM
well i did a shit load of research on it, spoke to a few ppl in the business about it

made him a stupidly low offer for it, and well i bought it.

thanks for the help, i think

btw cameras wont stop theft, just shows the bastards doing it.
if ppl really want to steal a car they can get teh key to watever cars tehy want.
gps tracking modules arent cheap and have a yearly monitoring fee.
and cop interference from a lot of stuff.

i know that there is no 100% fail proof method but this is a dam good start to stopping anyone
i know i would much rather replace a window, than never see my pride and joy again, or find it written off somewhere, or chopped up for parts.

poita
14th April 2009, 10:52 PM
exactly, and for the amount it costs to buy and install
it will bring my insurance costs down so it will pay for itself that way in a few years

USC
14th April 2009, 11:25 PM
what if they also ripped your dash and scratched all your doors??

Nurb608
14th April 2009, 11:27 PM
what if they also ripped your dash and scratched all your doors??

well then they would be pretty crap thieves :p

Shay
15th April 2009, 03:18 AM
i know youve already bought it,
and im sure you got the best

and this may sound like im jokin but im not,
but wheel camps?

who honestly is gonna jack it up, take off a couple of wheels and happen to have a 5 x 110 on them?

way too much effort;
1. to steal the wheels
and 2. whats the point in breakin into a car you cant drive anywhere,

same thing ppl do to boats.
put on a coupler lock and noone cbf stealin your boat

poita
15th April 2009, 09:51 AM
calibra is 4x100 champ ;)

Shay
15th April 2009, 11:33 AM
ah k well thats a lil different