PDA

View Full Version : BMW E34 5-Series

Jerram
13th April 2009, 10:51 PM
When I get some time on my hands (probably the end of year at the rate I'm going) I'm probably going to sell the Vectra while I can get a respectable price for it.

I'm looking to replace it of course, but would like to stay Euro. As such I'm looking at replacing it with an E34 525i. Teh Internets have so far told me that it is a car which is both nice to drive and generally reliable if looked after well into the 300,000s, also provided that you have the M50 engine instead of the M20.

However I'm just wondering if anyone else around here has owned one to see what they think.

I'm looking for a frank description, so only reply with knowledge if you actually have solid knowledge to give.

Apex
14th April 2009, 11:36 AM
When I get some time on my hands (probably the end of year at the rate I'm going) I'm probably going to sell the Vectra while I can get a respectable price for it.

I'm looking to replace it of course, but would like to stay Euro. As such I'm looking at replacing it with an E34 525i. Teh Internets have so far told me that it is a car which is both nice to drive and generally reliable if looked after well into the 300,000s, also provided that you have the M50 engine instead of the M20.

However I'm just wondering if anyone else around here has owned one to see what they think.

I'm looking for a frank description, so only reply with knowledge if you actually have solid knowledge to give.

Had one years ago back and it was a brilliant car, much better than our unreliable E39 that replaced it. They are generally considered the last of the top quality BMW’s.

I would get an older 535is over a M50 525i, the 535is will leave it for dead and has an LSD fitted as factory.

Im not sure what they are worth over your side of the ditch but my favourite E34 is the 540is that we got as an alternative to the 3.8ltr M5.

Have owned a lot of BMW’s over the years, any info needed just ask.

Jerram
14th April 2009, 02:51 PM
Hey man thanks for the insight.

What's the fuel consump on the 35 though? I seem to recall reading it was about 13-15L/100km compared to the M50 with about 9-11L/100km

Apex
15th April 2009, 06:50 AM
The 535is is nowhere near as refined as the M50 car, it will drink a bit more and it will be a lot louder and rougher due to its primitive engine but they go like a cut cat and are bullet proof not to mention there sportier suspension tune, LSD and Leather Recaro interior. Comes down to what you are after I suppose.

Just threw it out there as an option, most BMW nuts would opt for the 535is, maybe drive a few and gauge for yourself.

What’s an E34 worth on your side of the ditch anyhow??

Jerram
15th April 2009, 09:56 AM
The 535is is nowhere near as refined as the M50 car, it will drink a bit more and it will be a lot louder and rougher due to its primitive engine but they go like a cut cat and are bullet proof not to mention there sportier suspension tune, LSD and Leather Recaro interior. Comes down to what you are after I suppose.

Just threw it out there as an option, most BMW nuts would opt for the 535is, maybe drive a few and gauge for yourself.

What’s an E34 worth on your side of the ditch anyhow??

Anywhere from $3,000 for the early 520s/525s to about $16,000 for a later model 540.

xplosv57
15th April 2009, 07:30 PM
E34's are a good car, got a few colleagues who own them, pretty reliable and good on fuel the 6 cylinders!! Drove a 540i manual yesterday, now that's a car, but with only 70 or so in Aus it's a tough find!!

Why not an E30 or E36 3 series, same era but much easier to work with, lighter, faster and better handling??

Vectracious
15th April 2009, 07:58 PM
I didnt think the E36 was highly rated out of all the 3 series - dont most people go for the E30 or try and scrape up enough cash to get a E46?

Apex
16th April 2009, 06:35 AM
The E30 is very popular, the quintessential BMW, most people in the BMW club have a E30 and something late model as a commuter, all will tell you they prefer the E30 to drive.

I think a well maintained E34 525i would make a great every day car and would be a good mix of old with the new, the E34 like the E30 is stupidly over engineered and built like a brick shit house but expect to replace knackered shocks and suspension bushes to bring it back to how things should be.

xplosv57
16th April 2009, 06:14 PM
I didnt think the E36 was highly rated out of all the 3 series - dont most people go for the E30 or try and scrape up enough cash to get a E46?

Not really, the E36 isn't a bad car either, don't see much wrong with them but yeah my pick would be an E30 or a E46 update!!

The E30 is very popular, the quintessential BMW, most people in the BMW club have a E30 and something late model as a commuter, all will tell you they prefer the E30 to drive.

I think a well maintained E34 525i would make a great every day car and would be a good mix of old with the new, the E34 like the E30 is stupidly over engineered and built like a brick shit house but expect to replace knackered shocks and suspension bushes to bring it back to how things should be.

The E34 is a great car, spoke to my close mate who has one (who got it free lucky prick) his is a 525i auto with the M20, car runs like a dream, outcorners me easily and still gets 700+km to a tank daily bumper to bumper city driving, does 1000km on a long trip!!

However it's not the quickest thing in a straight line, very gutless but otherwise comfy, tidy car and has not given him a spot of trouble!!

With suspension bushes, go for the E32 750i front bushes, they all fit but a much firmer, gives a much better ride and last longer too!!

Any technical q's, just send me a PM and i'll do my best!!