PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi To Invest in Opel?

MatsHolden
7th April 2009, 09:39 PM
From leftlanenews

Abu Dhabi considering investment in GM’s Opel? (http://www.leftlanenews.com/abu-dhabi-considering-investment-in-gms-opel.html)

(http://www.leftlanenews.com/abu-dhabi-considering-investment-in-gms-opel.html)

It’s no secret that General Motors has been attempting to shed its German unit, Opel, for quite some time in order to raise capital. News comes today from the German state of North Rhine-Westfalia that the region’s labor unions have entered into discussions with Abu Dhabi over a potential investment from the Middle Eastern emirate.

Rainer Einenkel, head of the works council at Opel’s Bochum, Germany, plant (located in North Rhine-Westfalia), told Reuters that there were a number of investors looking at the German automaker and that North Rhine-Westfalia and Abu Dhabi have discussed an infusement of capital in exchange for shares in Opel.
Meanwhile, Germany’s Westdeutschen Allgemeinen Zeitung newspaper reports that Juergen Ruettgers, North Rhine-Westfalia’s prime minister, met with a high-ranking member of the emirate’s royal family.
Opel has struggled to gain interest from potential investors; many of the likely European auto industry candidates, including BMW (http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw.htm), Daimler and PSA Peugeot-Citroen have already stressed that they are not seeking to acquire the unit, and Fiat is tied up in the pending merger with Chrysler (http://www.leftlanenews.com/chrysler.htm).

Corsa_Rob
7th April 2009, 10:15 PM
interesting

topgear
7th April 2009, 10:45 PM
I wonder whether we will still see Opels in Australia if GM sheds them...

poita
7th April 2009, 11:06 PM
well considering we dont get opels here anymore, the ah being the last.
there is probably more chance that we will see them here.
wen i announced we should all email them requesting they do :)

Ice
8th April 2009, 12:35 AM
The UAE have been expanding rapidly so dare I say......Dare I risk it and say we might see Opel dealerships pop up in a few years. It will certainly be bought to the board room table should they buy Opel that is.

btm
8th April 2009, 08:34 AM
i heard this morning that GM are declaring themselves bankrupt today??

Wraith
8th April 2009, 08:39 AM
Yes very interesting...but as stated by Pete, won't be of any benifit to us if we're not going to be getting much if any of the Opel range in the longer term future :skep:

gslrallysport
8th April 2009, 08:45 AM
i heard this morning that GM are declaring themselves bankrupt today??
yep, it's going to be an orchestrated bankruptcy. Similar to what Delta Airlines in the US have also been in for years, and actually recently worked their way out of. It's certainly not the end of GM, but the Obama government was reluctant to give any more funding to GM, and fair enough.

Chrysler have to merge with Fiat to get more government funding, and Ford seem to have done their own in house capital raising to take more debt off their balance sheet... so appear to be able to do it on their own.

... I've been listening to way toooo much business channel. :o

USC
8th April 2009, 08:58 AM
So, does that mean the new astra will not be coming to australia?? Why doesnt Holden buy Opel?:D

gslrallysport
8th April 2009, 09:02 AM
Why doesnt Holden buy Opel?:DBecause Holden is ALOT like Subaru. They're a VERY VERY small player in the automotive world in terms of production numbers (and thus available capital raising), but despite their ownership to very large companies (GM and Toyota respectively), they're more than profitable on their own, with their tight nit and efficient model of operation (of which the unions haven't farked over like in the US), and have no interest in taking anyone over*, especially not brands not making money.

* I'm sure Daewoo was cheap enough to put a case forward...

Neeko
8th April 2009, 09:39 AM
i've been in Bochum :)

topgear
8th April 2009, 10:44 AM
Just as long as Holden and Opel don't get taken down with the rest of GM, its all ok

gslrallysport
8th April 2009, 11:21 AM
Holden and Opel don't get taken down with the rest of GM
The whole business world is saying that for many years Holden has well and truly stood on it's own two feet, with the exception of engine development. Holden would be the top pick of many very large car companies if they were looking to take over a quality company at a bargin price. There's absolutely no chance of Holden going under, but there is a very real chance that they may continue into the future with something other than GM derived engine blocks.

But again, GM is not going to fail, it's going to go into bankruptcy. The later doesn't always lead into the former...

tomtom
8th April 2009, 12:31 PM
...something other than GM derived engine blocks.

"The all new 2012 Holden Commodore SS, 2.4L iVTEC"

:(

USC
8th April 2009, 03:17 PM

:(

with 500KW of power and 1000NM of torques from a triple turbo charger.

gslrallysport
8th April 2009, 03:32 PM
2.4L iVTEC
LOL, as a base model it'd be ok, albeit not particularly useful for towing. That's when you lob in a 3.0L turbo oil burner, and make the sports variant a V6 turbo petrol. All 3 keep the greenies happy too...

mmm... me think Isuzu not being a part of GM could do well out of buying Holden! They've got some great engines that could lob into the Commodore quite easily, and it's take away the competition between the Colorado and the D-Max. Which are virtually the same vehicle, except the former has Holden headlights and wiring looms, for which warranty claims are already going through the roof! Holden and electrics just don't seem to get along... ask any VE owner.

Vectracious
8th April 2009, 11:44 PM

The 2.4 iVTEC is a great engine - in something that weighs less than 1.4 tonne. In our 08 CR-V it redefines "leisurely performance" ;)

rjastra
9th April 2009, 10:03 AM
The 2.4 iVTEC is a great engine - in something that weighs less than 1.4 tonne. In our 08 CR-V it redefines "leisurely performance" ;)

Unfortunetly that engine isn't used in anything under 1.4t :)

Vectracious
9th April 2009, 01:21 PM
Unfortunetly that engine isn't used in anything under 1.4t :)

well if we're splitting hair's then yes its not, but the old Accord Euro which has a similar displacement and similar output (yes ok 15kW more and slighly more torque) weighs 1.3 something and goes very well and was most likely the engine tomtom was referring to anyway.