PDA

View Full Version : More Cruze info

rjastra
2nd April 2009, 11:05 AM
As revealed by Holden at the Melbourne show, the four-cylinder Cruze four-door will soon go on sale here with direct-injection 1.8-litre petrol and 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engines. While the 1.8 delivers 103kW in other markets, the diesel makes 110kW/320Nm elsewhere.

GoAuto can reveal that the volume-selling petrol Cruze sedan with a six-speed automatic transmission (the base-specification diesel will be manual-only) will return ADR 81/02 fuel consumption of 8.0L/100km.

The Delta-based hatch will be the second derivative to emerge from GM’s Delta II platform and will feature the same crisp interior design and build quality as the Korean-made Cruze sedan shown in Melbourne – as well as its spacious five-seater cabin, 60/40-split folding rear seat and six-airbag/stability control safety package.

Holden’s four-cylinder five-door might be marketed under a different name to the Cruze sedan, but is unlikely to wear Torana or Gemini badges.

Just as Ford will have the ability to produce a range of Focus-based vehicles in Australia from 2011, including the small Kuga SUV, so too Holden will have the technical ability to produce any GM model based on the Delta II chassis developed by GM Opel at Russelsheim in Germany.

Apart from the next-generation Astra model family that is expected to emerge at the Frankfurt motor show in September, this includes the Cruze sedan and its Delta-based hatch sibling styled by Holden, plus either a yet-to-appear wagon version of the Cruze or a production version of the Orlando wagon concept.

There is also potential for a two-door coupe/convertible iteration and, given the Delta II platform’s front and all-wheel drive configurability, a compact SUV that could revive the T2X concept first revealed at the 2005 Seoul motor show. The latter made an Australian appearance at the 2006 Melbourne show alongside the S3X, which went on to become Daewoo’s (and Holden’s) Captiva.

As previously reported, Holden openly admits it will be able to eventually produce GM’s Volt plug-in hybrid, which is also based on Delta II and slated for release here as a Holden in 2012.

GoAuto sources say production of Australia’s Cruze sedan will switch from Korea to join next year’s hatch in Adelaide from 2012, when both models will receive their first facelift.

It is unclear, however, if the sedan will be fully Australian-made like the hatch or simply assembled from ‘completely knocked-down’ kits as some insiders suggest.

Either way, our sources say that at least upstream versions of Holden’s homegrown hatch will be powered by a 1.4-litre version of the GM’s new small-displacement, turbocharged, direct-injection ‘Family 0’ engine range, known internally as SIDI (for stratified induction and direct injection).

The new 1.4 turbo engine is due to debut in the next Opel/Vauxhall/Saturn Astra but, in what would be a major political and PR coupe for Holden, which is due to close its Family II four-cylinder plant mid-year, the company is almost certain to build the high-tech GM engine itself in Port Melbourne.

With further help from the green fund for an engine that could be built to run on anything from E85 to LPG, the Family II plant’s cast-iron foundry could be converted to alloy or the inline four could be assembled in the same way as the V6, from imported alloy cylinder blocks.

“The Holden small car will introduce the new-to-Australian manufacturing, low-displacement, forced-induction petrol engine, for enhanced fuel efficiency,” Holden said itself on December 22, when it also committed to building both sedan and hatch variants of the Cruze.

“Start-stop hybrid technology and capacity to run on alternative fuels such as E85, diesel, LPG and compressed natural gas (CNG) are all being considered for the vehicle’s development.”

The 104kW/200Nm forced-induction 1.4 engine will also power the Cruze sedan for the US, where it is to be produced in Lordstown from April 2010 as a 2011 model. It also commences US production in Michigan in December 2010.

A naturally-aspirated version of the Family 0 engine, which will also be built in 1.2-litre displacement, will charge the electric-drive Volt’s battery, but of more interest to Australia is a 140kW 1.6-litre version that could also built here.

Then there is the 2.0-litre performance flagship of the SIDI turbo engine range, which is already officially rated at 164kW but could be made to develop up to 200kW to create a successor for HSV’s Opel-sourced Astra VXR, which currently offers 176kW.

Our sources say HSV is considering the release of a turbocharged AWD Delta-based small-car similar in concept to replace the VXR in 2012.

Of course, Holden is yet to reveal what it will build at Elizabeth in 2010, but by the end of next year it could produce not only a low-cost version of the Cruze hatch to compete for fleets with the likes of Toyota’s Corolla, but also a more sophisticated and expensive 1.4 turbo version for export to ASEAN markets that recently became free-trade partners with Australia.

“This is our first small car in our new small car plan, so I can’t really reveal here today what our full-range small car strategy is, because that would be a pretty big tip into the hand of our competition,” said Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss at the Melbourne show.

“I can’t really tip the hand on what we’re doing next year. We revealed that it will be a car based on this architecture and that’s really all I can say today. I just can’t reveal to you our small-car strategy as it’s unfolding – it’s an unfair advantage to our competitors.”

GM Holden design director Tony Stolfo also refuses to name Holden’s homegrown 2010 small-car, but told GoAuto the introduction of the ‘Cruze’ at Elizabeth would shore up the company’s future.

“The focus right now for Holden is to really look at what we need to do to make ourselves sustainable here in Australia.

“The introduction of the Cruze into the plant at Elizabeth, plus the continuation of the VE through into that plant, we’ve got two fantastic car lines, two fantastic architectures that we can build on for the future. So it’s pretty exciting for us.

“We haven’t identified which vehicle we will be building locally. But we will be building a small car, and to that point, when we do make that announcement, it will be exciting.”

GreyRex
2nd April 2009, 11:10 AM
Yeh i'm still confused lol

Do we get the next Astra or not?

It seems we'll get the Volt, and we know we're getting the Cruze? So will we produce the Equivalent of the Euro Astra here?

MatsHolden
3rd April 2009, 04:22 PM
Yeh i'm still confused lol

Do we get the next Astra or not?

It seems we'll get the Volt, and we know we're getting the Cruze? So will we produce the Equivalent of the Euro Astra here?

Cruze is the car that is going to be built in Australia. For now they are just using the Korean Cruze to get them on the market this year. We still have the Astra above the Cruze.

daiflu
12th April 2009, 09:27 AM
Cruze race car:
http://www.gmeurope.info/social_media_newsroom/uploads/SMNR_wcruze.jpg

Hoya
12th April 2009, 05:36 PM
Cruze race car:

LOL look at the size of the wheels!
what are they 13" or something :p

Red AH SRI T
13th May 2009, 09:47 AM
New Cruze has achieved a 5 Star Safety Rating. Good job ;-)

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/small-passenger/holden/cruze/cruze-achieves-fivestar-safety-15091

Wraith
13th May 2009, 12:38 PM
LOL look at the size of the wheels!
what are they 13" or something :p

That race car version of the new Cruze looks good :)

Single centre lug racing wheels are usually around 16"

btm
13th May 2009, 02:53 PM
yeah, i dont mind it

DirtyHarry
13th May 2009, 03:24 PM
ehh so what if it has 5 stars..its still a daewoo

gslrallysport
13th May 2009, 04:17 PM
ehh so what if it has 5 stars..its still a daewoo
People stopped saying that about Hyundai in circa 2007... wonder how long it will take the same thing to happen to Daewoo...

... a little while longer yet.

btm
13th May 2009, 04:44 PM
still a bit to prove yet

HoldenAstra
14th May 2009, 04:35 PM
The Cruze is branded as Chevrolet in China (& it's built in China) & it's already on the market.
http://www.autohome.com.cn/657/

btm
2nd September 2009, 11:30 AM
gets a good write up from NRMA

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/holden_cruze_2009_review.htm

Summary:

Holden looks to have finally got it right with its latest entrant into the mid-sized market. Previous efforts covered off some parts of the equation well - the Astra had a good handling chassis and ride, but it's interior was lacklustre and ergonomically it wasn't that intuitive. Pricing jumped up quickly from the base spec model as well.

The Cruze is a more complete package. Keen pricing, a five star NCAP safety rating and attractive specs across a simplifyied two model range, with diesel and petrol engine options, are part of it. Add generous interior and bootspace dimensions in a neatly styled sedan body, that handles and stops as well as its major rivals, and the combination appears right.

Wraith
2nd September 2009, 02:55 PM
gets a good write up from NRMA

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/mynrma/hs.xsl/holden_cruze_2009_review.htm

Summary:

Holden looks to have finally got it right with its latest entrant into the mid-sized market. Previous efforts covered off some parts of the equation well - the Astra had a good handling chassis and ride, but it's interior was lacklustre and ergonomically it wasn't that intuitive. Pricing jumped up quickly from the base spec model as well.

The Cruze is a more complete package. Keen pricing, a five star NCAP safety rating and attractive specs across a simplifyied two model range, with diesel and petrol engine options, are part of it. Add generous interior and bootspace dimensions in a neatly styled sedan body, that handles and stops as well as its major rivals, and the combination appears right.

Can agree with the above...

Absolutely hate the plain/bland interior of the AH range and have added heaps to the interior of my TS to make it to my liking...Cruze interior, ie. the CDX is very good !

Pricing for top spec at nearly 30k is a little high IMHO for this particular vehicle, but sits favourably from a vehicle comparison perspective...

rjastra
2nd September 2009, 04:57 PM
Pricing for top spec at nearly 30k is a little high IMHO for this particular vehicle, but sits favourably from a vehicle comparison perspective...

Have I got my figures wrong? CDX manual is $23999 + ORC. About $2000 less than a Corolla Conquest or about $4000 less than a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. Competition-wise it is loaded for the price. All they have to do is put a decent petrol engine in it.

Wraith
2nd September 2009, 05:23 PM
Have I got my figures wrong? CDX manual is $23999 + ORC. About $2000 less than a Corolla Conquest or about $4000 less than a Mazda 3 Maxx Sport. Competition-wise it is loaded for the price. All they have to do is put a decent petrol engine in it.

'Top spec' Cruze CDX ie. with auto and metallic paint will cost you around $29,500-$29,700 drive away - as stated, nearly 30k...;) female friend of mine paid $29,200 (best price she could get) for her CDX auto approx. 3 months ago, has had it now for just over a month...

CDX manual and metallic about $27,510 driveaway...or $27,110 without metallic paint finish colours...

You can get a new Mazda 3 Maxx sport auto for $27,800 driveaway (normal price $30,800) ! girlfriend of a friend of mine got one for this price less than a month ago, if I decide on an MPS3 I'll be going to the same Mazda dealership :)

USC
2nd September 2009, 08:47 PM
'Top spec' Cruze CDX ie. with auto and metallic paint will cost you around $29,500-$29,700 drive away - as stated, nearly 30k...;) female friend of mine paid $29,200 (best price she could get) for her CDX auto approx. 3 months ago, has had it now for just over a month...

CDX manual and metallic about $27,510 driveaway...or $27,110 without metallic paint finish colours...

You can get a new Mazda 3 Maxx sport auto for $27,800 driveaway (normal price $30,800) ! girlfriend of a friend of mine got one for this price less than a month ago, if I decide on an MPS3 I'll be going to the same Mazda dealership :)

which mazda dealership is that (if you dont mind)?

Wraith
3rd September 2009, 09:21 AM
which mazda dealership is that (if you dont mind)?

The one on the Nepean Hwy. it was actually the 1st dealer I went to a few weeks ago to check out the new MPS3...salesman involved that sold the car to her was was 'Jason' - that's what I've been told so far :) he should pay me for giving him a free plug :D

I might go there again this weekend if I get the chance and see what the best pricing is they can do for a MPS3 luxury pack, if your interested I'll get back to you and let you know the outcome :)

I looked up their details:

Sales, Service & Parts Departments
865 Nepean Highway
BRIGHTON VIC 3186

Sales
Phone: (03) 9559 0777
Fax: (03) 9563 9488
Open: Mon - Sat: 8:30AM - 6:00PM
Sun: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

Service
Open: Mon - Fri: 7:30AM - 5:30PM
Sat: 9:00AM - 1:00PM

Parts

Email: [email protected]

rjastra
3rd September 2009, 11:54 AM

Wow, they are discounting the 3 that much already? Actuially a top spec (auto) Sport Maxx is 30k +ORC ;)

mania
3rd September 2009, 01:04 PM
May explain why there are so many on the roads :p

rjastra
3rd September 2009, 01:51 PM
May explain why there are so many on the roads :p

They are a good car at a reasonable price....

Wraith
3rd September 2009, 04:18 PM
They are a good car at a reasonable price....

That's hit the nail on the head for this car !

Same story with the previous model - very good car that's also very well priced will always = a top seller...:)

As for pricing of a Maxx Sport rj. info I have is $30,800 drive away as is for the auto, with a regular price of $34,560 - so a saving of $3,720...that's what Mazda dealers can offer ATM.

Will have to check my friend and see exactly what his girlfriend has...he told me Maxx Sport, could be a standard Maxx, not Maxx Sport ??

Will get back to you on that one...

Comparing a Maxx Sport to a CDX Cruze is interesting...

Looks aside, the Mazda has the better engine and go, the Cruze has the better interior, ie. compared to that level Mazda 3, if you move onto the SP25 different story, IMHO the Mazda is totally better, but the SP25 will cost around 37-$38,000 drive away almost 10k more than a CDX Cruze :)

Hence going back to what you said earlier, "they are a good car at a reasonable price" is what's working for the Cruze ATM as well and why it's also selling very well :)

USC
3rd September 2009, 07:41 PM
The one on the Nepean Hwy. it was actually the 1st dealer I went to a few weeks ago to check out the new MPS3...salesman involved that sold the car to her was was 'Jason' - that's what I've been told so far :) he should pay me for giving him a free plug :D

I might go there again this weekend if I get the chance and see what the best pricing is they can do for a MPS3 luxury pack, if your interested I'll get back to you and let you know the outcome :)

I looked up their details:

Sales, Service & Parts Departments
865 Nepean Highway
BRIGHTON VIC 3186

Sales
Open: Mon - Sat: 8:30AM - 6:00PM
Sun: 10:00AM - 5:00PM

Service
Open: Mon - Fri: 7:30AM - 5:30PM
Sat: 9:00AM - 1:00PM

Parts

Email: [email protected]

I actually went there when I was shopping for my SP23 and dealt with a guy called Jason. He would not give a good discount ...so I left. I went to Garry and Warren Smith Mazda in Mulgrave and they were fantastic..brand new car from Japan and was mint. Price was also much more competitive than Brighton Mazda.

guy 27
3rd September 2009, 08:17 PM
I actually went there when I was shopping for my SP23 and dealt with a guy called Jason. He would not give a good discount ...so I left. I went to Garry and Warren Smith Mazda in Mulgrave and they were fantastic..brand new car from Japan and was mint. Price was also much more competitive than Brighton Mazda.

I have to completely agree on this. My brother has bought his last 2 mazda's from them. Both times they gave better price on new vehicle and trade in. (old rx8 traded in values were $17 000 (Brighton) vs $25 000(Mulgrave). Figures speak for themselves.)

mania
3rd September 2009, 09:20 PM
On both the new vehicle and the trade in? Nice find.

guy 27
3rd September 2009, 09:27 PM
On both the new vehicle and the trade in? Nice find.

Should of been more clear sorry. They were what they were going to give him on trade in on the car.
Still the price he got the cx7 for was much cheaper than the competior and his bussiness purchased another one through them at an even better price due to customer loyalty. When he first got the rx8 from them they gave him free passes to the motor show for the unveiling of the new look mx5 a few years back.

Back on topic though I saw a Cruze for the first time on the road today. It looked quite nice and I can see it being a hit like the Astra has been over the past few years.

mania
3rd September 2009, 09:31 PM
I also did. A blue parked cruze, looking very mini-commodorish, and then a blue cruze at the lights 20m away. Headlights are growing on me, look distinctive - yet apparently they're getting styling complaints. -shrugs-

Also I drove past a few parked Mazda 3s today. Decided the rear lights make them look like some kind of pokemon. Can't dispute that they really are selling amazingly well though.

cyclonic
4th September 2009, 01:27 AM
I must admit i've been very cynical towards the Cruze, however it looks like its on the right track. I'd probably go for the diesel manual version. The interior is very nice and it does get a full sized spare.

Wraith
4th September 2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys, I'll give them a call too and see what they can do if I get serious about the MPS3...:)

Missus and I purchased a brand new Mazda Tribute V6 in 2007 from Dandenong Mazda and at the time they gave the best deal on that vehicle...

That friend of mines girlfriend who got the Mazda recently, mentioned above reckoned that was the best deal they got ?? maybe they didn't shop around ?? hopefully I'll get the chance to talk to him over the weekend and find out more :)

Nurb608
22nd September 2009, 10:56 PM
Last line in the article. The whole article is really sad that the figures don't stack up for them.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/43143/hsv-set-to-launch-lpg-model-early-next-year-astra-vxr-insignia-vxr-off-the-cards/

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:07 PM
OUCH!!! No VXR insgina... My replacement idea just went down the drain.

Nurb608
22nd September 2009, 11:08 PM
OUCH!!! No VXR insgina... My replacement idea just went down the drain.

Mine too, was shattered :(

MatsHolden
22nd September 2009, 11:10 PM
Last line in the article. The whole article is really sad that the figures don't stack up for them.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/43143/hsv-set-to-launch-lpg-model-early-next-year-astra-vxr-insignia-vxr-off-the-cards/

I could definately see an HSV version of the fully Holden designed small car due for release 2010/2011.

In regards to the Insignia and Corsa, we all new deep down that it wouldn't happen.

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:25 PM
I could definately see an HSV version of the fully Holden designed small car due for release 2010/2011.

In regards to the Insignia and Corsa, we all new deep down that it wouldn't happen.

True But i was living in hope for the a replacement to my current VXR Astra. Ahh well it might just have to be a GTS E Series 2

MatsHolden
22nd September 2009, 11:31 PM
True But i was living in hope for the a replacement to my current VXR Astra. Ahh well it might just have to be a GTS E Series 2

Oh yeah for sure even though we knew it wouldn't happen, there was that little bit that said yeah it's possible.

Just opt for no rear spoiler and replace the vented bonnet with a standard bonnet if you end up going an E2. :o

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah for sure even though we knew it wouldn't happen, there was that little bit that said yeah it's possible.

Just opt for no rear spoiler and replace the vented bonnet with a standard bonnet if you end up going an E2. :o

haha. It wont be for a while if i do.
If they bring out a cruze in a HSV form i hear the engine will the new VXR engine going into the new Astra VXR due on 2010.

MatsHolden
22nd September 2009, 11:40 PM
Getting back to an HSV Cruze, the HSV styling department have already started work on potential designs.

kabel
22nd September 2009, 11:42 PM
Plenty of options...........but not a lot of them are Holden based for me unfortunately.
Golf R,Megane RS and Audi S3 will be on my shopping list if there is nothing small,turbo`d and sporty in the HSV line-up in 2011.
Red VXR will be traded and my modded Blue VXR will go to my girlfriend.

Holden`s current approach to the small/medium car seems at odds with Ford`s Euro sourced Fiesta,Focus and Mondeo which are all appear to me as a premium designed and built product.
Still I guess GMH know what they are doing.:confused:

MatsHolden
22nd September 2009, 11:48 PM
I will stress that this ISN'T an official HSV design. Just a cgi image of a Cruze with an insignia VXR front.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/EB97C98CFBC06918CA257639002191DB/$file/HSV_Cruze2.jpg?OpenElement

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:49 PM
Plenty of options...........but not a lot of them are Holden based for me unfortunately.
Golf R,Megane RS and Audi S3 will be on my shopping list if there is nothing small,turbo`d and sporty in the HSV line-up in 2011.
Red VXR will be traded and my modded Blue VXR will go to my girlfriend.

Holden`s current approach to the small/medium car seems at odds with Ford`s Euro sourced Fiesta,Focus and Mondeo which are all appear to me as a premium designed and built product.

I agree about being at Odds with Fords current line up of Small to med size cars. Ford has stepped up the Mondeo to include a Wagon even a XR5T Variant which has been brought into fill the hole of no Falcon wagon i believe.

I would even consider an XR5 Turbo Mondeo Hatch now the Insignia isnt coming at this point in time. Problem with the Audi and VW to get anything close to the VXR in preformance you need to spend another 20+ grand and at the end of the day they are only a 3 door .

Then again there was a time Ford were importing Jap cars for its small car range and Holden had the European range . Will have to do some more research i think.

dieselhead
22nd September 2009, 11:50 PM
What engine would HSV use for a high performance Cruze and how much power can we expect?

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:50 PM
I will stress that this ISN'T an official HSV design. Just a cgi image of a Cruze with an insignia VXR front.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/EB97C98CFBC06918CA257639002191DB/$file/HSV_Cruze2.jpg?OpenElement

It actually pulls it off and looks ok.

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:51 PM
What engine would HSV use for a high performance Cruze and how much power can we expect?

romours point to the next gen Astra VXR engine due in 2011. But a lot could change between now and then.

dieselhead
22nd September 2009, 11:55 PM
If Ford brings over the Focus RS there's nothing HSV could do to Cruze to put up a fight. Nothing.

kabel
22nd September 2009, 11:58 PM
I agree about being at Odds with Fords current line up of Small to med size cars. Ford has stepped up the Mondeo to include a Wagon even a XR5T Variant which has been brought into fill the hole of no Falcon wagon i believe.

I would even consider an XR5 Turbo Mondeo Hatch now the Insignia isnt coming at this point in time. Problem with the Audi and VW to get anything close to the VXR in preformance you need to spend another 20+ grand and at the end of the day they are only a 3 door .

Then again there was a time Ford were importing Jap cars for its small car range and Holden had the European range . Will have to do some more research i think.
I do not mind spending another 20k if I get what I want !
Reckon the Megane RS will be a cracker when it arrives here though and pricing may not be much different than VXR.

PS
Cruze with Insignia front looks good
But surely by the time HSV invested all that money for restlying and re-engineering for a 2l T motor from Europe along with ADR compliance etc it would be cheaper to fully import a VXR and invest in a good marketing program !
Maybe my thought processes are too simplistic........

Shaun
22nd September 2009, 11:59 PM
I do not mind spending another 20k if I get what I want !
Reckon the Megane RS will be a cracker when it arrives here though and pricing may not be much different than VXR.

PS
Cruze with Insignia front looks good
But surely by the time HSV invested all that money for restlying and re-engineering for a 2l T motor from Europe along with ADR compliance etc it would be cheaper to fully import a VXR and invest in a good marketing program !

+1 About the engineering cost and ADR cost.

USC
23rd September 2009, 12:06 AM

dunno about premium design and specially built quality...just because they are imported from belgium does not mean they are premium cars...better than koreans but a lot inferior to most japanese brands.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 12:06 AM

The thing is, Holden has already spent the money on getting the base car (Cruze) ADR compliant. HSV would have to then spend on getting the Insignia and Corsa up to meet ADR's as well as bring out all the parts and inventory for the cars themselves. Becomes a pricey exercise plus the fact that Vauxhall and Opel have been sold off now.

dieselhead
23rd September 2009, 12:13 AM
HSV is not exactly Mugen or RS, is it? Their fans demand V8s with big scoops and even bigger spoilers. Hot hatches and AWD premium sedans are mere distractions for them I reckon. What we need is for Opel to open dealerships here down under and sell Insignia, Astra and Corsa. Shouldn't be too hard, if Fiat can do it, anyone can. At the end of the day, if they do it, they won't even directly compete with with any Holden model. Agree?

rjastra
23rd September 2009, 07:02 AM
Does everyone forget that the Cruze chassis is essentially the Astra chassis.
It should be quite easy to fit any engine that the Astra uses into the Cruze. Australian emission levels are aligned to Euro levels.

Also, the Cruze is to be built/sold in the USA. Last I saw it was the GM USA who had the gun 2L ECOTEC turbo engine (Cobalt SS)... not Opel.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 09:14 AM
Does everyone forget that the Cruze chassis is essentially the Astra chassis.
It should be quite easy to fit any engine that the Astra uses into the Cruze.

Exactly, and it would be also possible to fit the watts linkage rear suspension setup as on the new Astra.

Nurb608
23rd September 2009, 12:50 PM
Another article on it which raises some good points. Although it's esentialy the same platform, doesn't instantly make it as rigid. Also, would have to rework the chasis, same way they did to the SRi's to suit the VXR. In saying that, just knocking off the bits developed for the astra should fix that up.

http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/hsv-to-develop-cruze-small-car-20090922-g00t.html
(http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor-news/hsv-to-develop-cruze-small-car-20090922-g00t.html)

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 01:41 PM
harding's actually saying that the new holden hatch may not be as rigid as the cruze sedan. So they're unsure whether they'll do the hatch or sedan or both.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 09:56 PM
I had some spare time this arvo, so spent it working on this...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/HSVCruzebyMLewis.jpg

sooty
23rd September 2009, 09:58 PM
Great chops Mat! But by god that's HIDEOUS! lol
Actually upon second look i don't mind the rear, but the front is just wrong.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 09:59 PM
Great chops Mat! But by god that's HIDEOUS! lol

I'd drive it. lol

hazrd
23rd September 2009, 10:21 PM
front is ok
back is horn :D

Jerram
23rd September 2009, 10:27 PM
nice stuff Matt

good to see you didn't forget the golden rule;

four cylinders
four exhaust pipes.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 10:35 PM
I prefer this front now...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/hsvcruze1take2copy.jpg

USC
23rd September 2009, 11:35 PM
Back is nice! front is still....hmm...not so great. The grille is way too big. Could be nicer with projector head lamps too. Also, make the bottom of the front bumper a bit pointy..like the astra..if u know what i mean...so it follows the line in the middle of the bonnet.

MatsHolden
23rd September 2009, 11:39 PM
Back is nice! front is still....hmm...not so great. The grille is way too big. Could be nicer with projector head lamps too. Also, make the bottom of the front bumper a bit pointy..like the astra..if u know what i mean...so it follows the line in the middle of the bonnet.

Another time. lol bed is calling me now.

Didn't do projectors as I doubt HSV would spend the money on re-designing a whole headlamp assembly. They'd look good though.

Shaun
24th September 2009, 07:47 AM
i Like the photoshop of the rear of the cruise with an E Series 1 Bar. it actually suits the cruze.

Wraith
24th September 2009, 08:32 AM
I had some spare time this arvo, so spent it working on this...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/HSVCruzebyMLewis.jpg

You've got to be kidding me...

Great effort Mat, but that just looks all wrong, what an abomination :nonod:

A HSV V8 VE and Cruze melded together like that just dosn't work at all for me no matter how I try and look at it :skep:

HSV die hards will be out for blood :eek:

What a sad state it is or will be if all we have left to play around with and look at in the small/medium car category from GMH in the future is the Cruze.

We'll always have the good old Opels, but the future is elsewhere...

Theo
24th September 2009, 08:57 AM
Actually I dont mind it...nice job

mmahle
24th September 2009, 07:08 PM
From a design point of view, that's pretty damn awesome you've created that on your own! You're pretty talented in the art of photoshop I can see. :)

Vectracious
24th September 2009, 07:22 PM
awesome work Mat as usual :)

MatsHolden
24th September 2009, 07:29 PM
From a design point of view, that's pretty damn awesome you've created that on your own! You're pretty talented in the art of photoshop I can see. :)

Started with an existing HSV base and tweaked it.
Cheers mate.

MatsHolden
24th September 2009, 07:34 PM
HSV die hards will be out for blood :eek:

lol chillax. It's just a fun photo shop.

MatsHolden
24th September 2009, 07:34 PM
awesome work Mat as usual :)

Thanks Pete. Wonder what I could do to the R36? :p

mania
24th September 2009, 07:41 PM
Have to say, they are amazing shops. Love the rear! Front's a bit too... cavernous for me though :p.

MatsHolden
24th September 2009, 07:43 PM
... cavernous for me though :p.

With the twin nostril grille it's looking a bit dinasaurish. haha

ChrisMaz
24th September 2009, 07:46 PM
Rear reminds me of the old VT Clubsports. Don't mind it to be honest. Once again good work!

hazrd
24th September 2009, 07:52 PM

do eeeeeet

MatsHolden
24th September 2009, 08:55 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/hsvcruze3copy.jpg

sooty
24th September 2009, 08:56 PM
now that's not too bad...

USC
24th September 2009, 10:13 PM
That is nice!! Can you please colour code the grille to see what it would look like? Also, can you please try match the second top line of the grille to the bottom line of the bonnet? if you know what I mean..haha..sounds a bit confusing...

Vectracious
24th September 2009, 10:19 PM

well you've got plenty of pics - maybe you can photochop all the dirt off it!

Easily my favourite so far. :D

MatsHolden
25th September 2009, 12:14 AM
That is nice!! Can you please colour code the grille to see what it would look like? Also, can you please try match the second top line of the grille to the bottom line of the bonnet? if you know what I mean..haha..sounds a bit confusing...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/hsvcruze3colourcode.jpg

USC
25th September 2009, 12:51 AM
That looks awesome!! hot!!:)

btm
25th September 2009, 09:46 AM
it does look pretty mean!

Wraith
25th September 2009, 01:26 PM
lol chillax. It's just a fun photo shop.

Try putting it up on a HSV (V8's not VXR's) site or forum and see the feed back you ''might' get is what I meant :)

Can you just imagine a typical V8 HSV owner seeing his pride and joy as a Cruze estrapolated to look like a VE HSV...

Hope you don't take me the wrong way Mat, as said great work and prowess at photoshop, but a Cruze with HSV VE front and rear...crazy stuff :crazy:

dieselhead
26th September 2009, 03:35 PM
HSV is also working on developing a high-performance version of the forthcoming Australian-built Cruze as a replacement for the discontinued Opel-sourced Astra VXR. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10599585)
It's likely to be powered by one of GM's new breed of small-displacement direct-injection turbocharged engines. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10599585)

Hoss
26th September 2009, 05:23 PM
HSV is also working on developing a high-performance version of the forthcoming Australian-built Cruze as a replacement for the discontinued Opel-sourced Astra VXR. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10599585)
It's likely to be powered by one of GM's new breed of small-displacement direct-injection turbocharged engines. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10599585)

That's excellent news - it's good to see that HSV didn't retreat to V8s only with the demise of the Astra.

Wraith
27th September 2009, 12:07 PM

They sound good and it's about time !!!

I've always said and been one for the use of advanced LPG systems on V8 vehicles or other larger displacement engines, certainly makes them more viable in an ever increasing World of fuel costs...

Also read in last weeks Cars Guide, HSV have definitely abandoned any plans to bring in both the Corsa and Insignia VXR's...

There goes that...

Looks like there might only be the 'regular' variant Insignia coming over for GMH...if that ??

cyclonic
27th September 2009, 01:08 PM
That photochop looks hot!

Regarding the engines, I was hoping it was going to be the turbocharged 2.0 four as found in the Chevy Cobalt SS and Elfin T5. A 190kW engine in the Cruze would be WILD!

It'd also piss off a select bunch of the GM fans who are already upset that they don't have the Cruze in the US yet.