PDA

View Full Version : MK6 Golf GTI

USC
31st March 2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=61882&s_rid=theage:rainbowstrip:content2:31-03:31-03_firstdrivenewgolfgti:firstdrive:newgolfgti

'The GTI has been the hot hatch benchmark for more than three decades. Does the new model do justice to the badge?'

GreyRex
31st March 2009, 02:40 PM
Nice. I think it's the right car for the market. I like it

Whether I would buy one... i don't know

Adjustable suspension (possibilty of being an option) - $1,500

DSG - $2,500

Leather - $2,500?

Xenons - $2,000

Sunroof - $2,000

Sat-nav - $2,000+

These are the current prices off the top of my head, so I might be wrong

But geez... did anyone say options???

JohnBu
31st March 2009, 02:55 PM
i don't want to read about the Mk6 as I've just got the Mk5... haha

having said that, I prefer the large grill of the Mk5, but overall the Mk6 looks good, only time will tell, but it does look fresher.

Unfortunately, I could wait for the Mk6 to arrive, as no dealer could confirm a delivery date, shape (3/5 door), price, country of origin.

Overseas, the Mk6 has gone slightly gone up in price. and knowing VW, they won't discount it until supply is plentiful

so in the end I got a 2007 Red German built 3Dr Mk5 GTI DSG... leather/sunroof/sat nav/parking

hopefully a ECU reflash will keep me happy for a few years.

The GTI will sit next to the SRiT, so I'm not jumping ship just yet.

JohnBu
31st March 2009, 02:57 PM
DSG - $2,500

Leather - $3,000

Xenons - $2,000

Sunroof - $1,900

Sat-nav - $3,000

Thats why a 2yo GTI made so much more sense financially.

PaulyJ
31st March 2009, 03:01 PM
You bought a mk5?
What about the SRiT?

Personally i like the fresh look on the Mk 6. Very nice looking car!

JohnBu
31st March 2009, 03:03 PM
I own 1.5 cars.

100% of the SRiT
50% of the GTI...

haha

nuggz
31st March 2009, 03:03 PM
Dont you have an S15 as well???

woah

JohnBu
31st March 2009, 03:05 PM
bye bye S15 hello GTI

Nuggz what Vectra you getting?

btm
31st March 2009, 03:09 PM
and the new Golf GTI gains a seventh airbag for the driver’s knee

interesting...

nuggz
31st March 2009, 03:32 PM
bye bye S15 hello GTI

Nuggz what Vectra you getting?

but the s15 was so niceee

im gettings gregk's veccy
if only the rims you bought were in sydney, i'd be able to taxi them down for ya

Wraith
31st March 2009, 04:16 PM
i don't want to read about the Mk6 as I've just got the Mk5... haha

having said that, I prefer the large grill of the Mk5, but overall the Mk6 looks good, only time will tell, but it does look fresher.

Unfortunately, I could wait for the Mk6 to arrive, as no dealer could confirm a delivery date, shape (3/5 door), price, country of origin.

Overseas, the Mk6 has gone slightly gone up in price. and knowing VW, they won't discount it until supply is plentiful

so in the end I got a 2007 Red German built 3Dr Mk5 GTI DSG... leather/sunroof/sat nav/parking

hopefully a ECU reflash will keep me happy for a few years.

The GTI will sit next to the SRiT, so I'm not jumping ship just yet.

Congratulations John :clap:

USC
31st March 2009, 04:19 PM
Nice. I think it's the right car for the market. I like it

Whether I would buy one... i don't know

Adjustable suspension (possibilty of being an option) - $1,500

DSG - $2,500

Leather - $2,500?

Xenons - $2,000

Sunroof - $2,000

Sat-nav - $2,000+

These are the current prices off the top of my head, so I might be wrong

But geez... did anyone say options???

The electronic dampers are standard on the GTI. It is an option on normal golfs.
People dont really need sat nav (prefer a 6 cd mp3 player than a sat nav - GPS can be purchased for about $300), sunroof (definitely not in australia), leather (high maintenance and stinks).

Xenons and DSG are definitely worth it. DSG is like auto - any car company charges an extra $2k for auto! here you are getting 7 speed dual clutch gearbox with LSD!!! why whinge??

Golf is WAY better than any sri-t.

Wraith
31st March 2009, 04:25 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=61882&s_rid=theage:rainbowstrip:content2:31-03:31-03_firstdrivenewgolfgti:firstdrive:newgolfgti

'The GTI has been the hot hatch benchmark for more than three decades. Does the new model do justice to the badge?'

I like it, looks wise IMHO it's heaps better than any previous model and so it should be since it looks so much like a Scirocco, pity it's only 8kw more power...still that's nothing an APR tune can't fix :)

Look forward to the R20 variant, ie. if they ever do it, it has the same running gear as the new S3...should be quite a formidable machine :)

Wraith
31st March 2009, 04:29 PM
The electronic dampers are standard on the GTI. It is an option on normal golfs.
People dont really need sat nav (prefer a 6 cd mp3 player than a sat nav - GPS can be purchased for about $300), sunroof (definitely not in australia), leather (high maintenance and stinks).

Xenons and DSG are definitely worth it. DSG is like auto - any car company charges an extra $2k for auto! here you are getting 7 speed dual clutch gearbox with LSD!!! why whinge??

I think you've hit the nail on the head there with every point, especially the 7sp DSG and HID's...and leather is definitely a bitch for a DD or high usage vehicle !!!

I would however want and definitely spend the extra for a sunroof, IMHO a great and very worthwhile/highly used feature to have :)

GreyRex
31st March 2009, 04:47 PM
:confused:

Electronic dampers are yet to be confirmed for the Australian market on the GTi

And as Wraith said... i'd definately have a sunroof

As for leather... well, i'd prefer it over the standard tartan, and they're heated too (i think). And i don't know about any leather you've sat in, but i've never thought it 'stunk'

And the GTi being better than any Sri Turbo... no one mentioned it wasn't?:confused:

mitchv
31st March 2009, 04:51 PM
When buying my last car i looked very hard at the Mark V GTI, and unfortunately everyone has hit it on the head, it prices itself out of the market. It usually sits afew K above the other hot hatches, and when you add either a combo of DSG/Sunroof or Leather (which is a must with those horrid tartan cloth seats) you end up with a 50k car. Cant see this new model doing any less.

Great car, and had it have come to the table with price i would have one, but they werent willing to negotiate at all, offering me 8K only for my 4 year old Smart Roadster in perfect condition (sold it for 18k in the end).

VXR came with more power, better looking overall car, leather seats, didnt have the same build or overall quality, but it was a good comprimise between the WRX and the GTI Golf. Performance and Quality, at the right price.

mitchv
31st March 2009, 04:58 PM

I tend to disagree with the sunroof not being needed because we are in Australia? thats the perfect reason, sun, i loved it when i had a convertible, was great. As for leather, cant say they stink, can say they get warm, but they have a better feeling, and the GTI's Leather seats are lovely, sporty sophisticated, could be sportier though, but stinky? nope.

As for DSG, while i enjoyed it, its a hot hatch, a car that is supposed to be driven, it was good, and very direct, but you cant go away from a good old fashioned manual, at 2,500 i would of passed on it. Xenons at $2k i wouldnt of got either, i think you have priorities messed up, but thats just my opinion.

USC
31st March 2009, 07:08 PM
After owning two cars with leather, I much prefer cloth. Though, it looks good, it is very hard to maintain and leather does have a smell which I dont particularly like and gets creases everywhere. The surface also wears out and looks yacky after a few years. It may not stink to you but it does to me. If you like to have dead cows inside your car, then good on you.

As for heated seats, the reason you need it for leather seats is that leather is always cold. The cloth seat will warm up very quickly without the need for extra heating element.

Re: Sunroof, I know what you mean: It looks cool. One of my previous cars came with factory sunroof and I never had it opened cos I hated the burning sensation on my arms. I also never got any air or as much as when I wind down my door windows. The novelty wears out very quickly.

Xenons on the gti comes with auto wash and auto levelling..so you are not paying $1900 for just lights. I agree its expensive but I prefer this to sunroof.

DSG will make the car go from 0-100 in 6.9 secs compared to 7.2.

Lets hope they bring electronic damping standard on the Gti.

The new Golf GTI (MK6) consumes 7.3L/100kms!? The MK5 is 8L/100km which is even less than a mazda 3 neo!

immenotu
31st March 2009, 07:39 PM
PS: VXR same built or quality as a Golf..LOL...OMG this is the biggest load of bullshit I have heard for the day.

VXR came with more power, better looking overall car, leather seats, didnt have the same build or overall quality, but it was a good comprimise between the WRX and the GTI Golf.

Reading always helps :rolleyes:

Regarding DSG taking 0.3 of a second off the 0-100 time, wouldnt an engine tune/remap/chip (im not sure how they do it on the GTi) take more time off and be cheaper?

Orion_996
31st March 2009, 07:41 PM
USC did you even read what he said? he said it DIDN'T have the build quality...

USC
31st March 2009, 07:45 PM
Reading always helps :rolleyes:

Regarding DSG taking 0.3 of a second off the 0-100 time, wouldnt an engine tune/remap/chip (im not sure how they do it on the GTi) take more time off and be cheaper?

Yeh..LOL..my bad. I was watching 2 and 1/2 men at the same time...hahaha:p

Gota admit though, the VXR has more power than the Gti and does a faster 0-100 time.

ps: edited my previous thread...apologies.

mitchv
31st March 2009, 09:56 PM
I can understand all that, with the sunroof and all that, not everyones thing, i personally prefer windows down then air con. Leather seats i can also agree with, tougher to care for to keep nice, but i find it worth it, and the GTI its a must, because the only cloth option is ugly as sin.

I only compare WRX, VXR and GTI together, because those are the 3 cars i ended up with, i could include the type R Civic, the XR5 Focus ect. The GTI was my favourite build quality, overall a great car, the WRX was my favourite performance wise, obviously as its a 4WD and has a crapload of power, pity its japenese and the interior is inferior at best.

This is where the VXR came into it, has good performance, good seats, agree with the centre console, but rattling inside cabin? break noise? what? Yeah rear view is shit, but i only look to see the cars i blow off the line :P.

Fuel consumption is the amusing one, you dont buy i hot hatch to worry about fuel, thats why the VXR is a crapload quicker then the gti :P i get 10L/100 and dont care.

Overall the GTI is a great car, but when you add the options its in a new class, that hot hatch market sits in the 40k mark, when you get what you want in the GTI your paying 45-50 to get it on the road, and its just not that quick.

Its just my opinion though, i critiqued these cars alot not too long ago, was a fun journey :| lol

USC
31st March 2009, 10:42 PM
What do you think of the Volvo C30 T5? The one that was in Twilight? How does it compare to the VXR?

I wouldnt even consider the Focus XR5 turbo...no cruise control, no climate control..etc.

The cloth interior of the MK6 golf looks nice...much better than the MK5. I actually dont mind either...but thats just me;).

I wouldnt consider the WRX...as ugly as a dog`s arse with that chrome tailgate trim and bright rear lights..YUK! Also, gearbox is outdated with only 5 speed manual (6 speed only available for sti). Interior looks bad with those ugly sports seats. No matter how well it performs, I would never buy one unless they improve considerably on looks.

New Lancer looks very bulky - not an attractive car to be honest.

mitchv
31st March 2009, 10:53 PM
I like the Volvo, looks are something that grow on you, and i think performance wise it stands up, isnt it abit more expensive though? i didnt look at one to be honest.

The XR5 while not equipped as well as its counterparts, its built quite well, and has an alright look, inside isnt too bad either, and its on the cheaper side, if you dont get the orange, you save afew K. Agreed that climate and cruise control are dissapointing things with it.

WRX was only looked at because of performance, and when i drove it, i thought it felt nice to drive, interior and exterior were the dissapointing things, and knowing a new model was coming pushed me away, but the 40k drive away price was good.

JohnBu
1st April 2009, 09:10 AM
FYI- Mk6 GTI comes with a 6 speed DSG, the lower end MK6 Golfs come with 7 speed DSGs.

Most likely as the 6 speed DSG handles more power.

If I were buying a new manual hot hatch today, I could not go past the XR5.

May not be top of the class, however when brand new MY08 models are selling for $29,900 retail, thats a $10,000 saving off its nearest competitors.

Pity, I needed an auto (DSG), otherwise I'd be driving a new XR5 in white without pinstripes.

mitchv, while the VXR is quicker than than a GTI w/DSG, but I wouldn't say its a crapload quicker, it would be marginally quicker at best. but lets not get into that.

I wonder what the tuning potential of the Mk6 GTI is, the Mk5 had awesome tuning potential.

rjastra
1st April 2009, 09:38 AM
I think most people on here get it... just because a manufacturer offers options doesn't mean they are required. The other point is the Golf's competitors dont even off them as options (except the WRX strangely).

People end up paying big money on a GTI simply because they go crazy on options combos that simply don't exist in the dealer's inventory and have to be ordered in.

mitchv
1st April 2009, 09:49 AM
mitchv, while the VXR is quicker than than a GTI w/DSG, but I wouldn't say its a crapload quicker, it would be marginally quicker at best. but lets not get into that.

I wonder what the tuning potential of the Mk6 GTI is, the Mk5 had awesome tuning potential.

.7 seconds quicker 0-100, 1 second on the manual, thats quite a difference when your getting 6's. Golf with DSG - 6.9 (without 7.2) and the VXR 6.2, a fair different.

If your looking for tuneable (I wouldnt know, because i dont do much) but wouldnt the GT be the better option? turbo charged and supercharged? just a question, because i dont know.

Apex
1st April 2009, 10:09 AM
Nice looking cars, VW should be proud that the MK5 expired still top of its class, this doesn’t happen a lot so that’s saying something. I was under the impression VW was cutting build costs on the MK6 so will be keen to compare.

Out of curiously what car do you own? I love hearing what people actually drive after poo pooing what others consider their pride and joy :p

I love my leather, sunroof and built in GPS. So much nicer than a daggy unit stuck to your windscreen and you don’t have to worry about someone breaking into the car and pinching it.

Apex
1st April 2009, 10:12 AM
.7 seconds quicker 0-100, 1 second on the manual, thats quite a difference when your getting 6's. Golf with DSG - 6.9 (without 7.2) and the VXR 6.2, a fair different.

If your looking for tuneable (I wouldnt know, because i dont do much) but wouldnt the GT be the better option? turbo charged and supercharged? just a question, because i dont know.

Nope, the twin charger is a highly efficient 1.4 designed more around economy. The 2.0 would eat it. My old lady is looking at the 1.4 Sirocco (s).

chrissn89
1st April 2009, 10:27 AM
Nice looking cars, VW should be proud that the MK5 expired still top of its class, this doesn’t happen a lot so that’s saying something. I was under the impression VW was cutting build costs on the MK6 so will be keen to compare.

Out of curiously what car do you own? I love hearing what people actually drive after poo pooing what others consider their pride and joy :p

I love my leather, sunroof and built in GPS. So much nicer than a daggy unit stuck to your windscreen and you don’t have to worry about someone breaking into the car and pinching it.
He drives a Mazda SP23

Wraith
1st April 2009, 10:30 AM
FYI- Mk6 GTI comes with a 6 speed DSG, the lower end MK6 Golfs come with 7 speed DSGs.

Most likely as the 6 speed DSG handles more power.

If I were buying a new manual hot hatch today, I could not go past the XR5.

May not be top of the class, however when brand new MY08 models are selling for $29,900 retail, thats a $10,000 saving off its nearest competitors.

Pity, I needed an auto (DSG), otherwise I'd be driving a new XR5 in white without pinstripes.

AFAIK John, the dry clutch 7spd DSG is actually a stronger unit than the 6spd wet clutch DSG fitted to most VW's and Audis...I've read literature that rates it at 550nm continuous load rating...

BTW which Ford dealer were you able to get that price above ($29,900) for a new XR5T ???

For that much on one of those I'm interested !!! and I too llike them in white without the stripes :)

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 10:32 AM
AFAIK John, the dry clutch 7spd DSG is actually a stronger unit than the 6spd wet clutch DSG fitted to most VW's and Audis...I've read literature that rates it at 550nm continuous load rating...

BTW which Ford dealer were you able to get that price above ($29,900) for a new XR5T ???

For that much on one of those I'm interested !!! and I too llike them in white without the stripes :)

There was an ad in the paper

Brand new, but '08 stock (from my understanding)... and still the latest LV shape

Wraith
1st April 2009, 10:49 AM
There was an ad in the paper

Brand new, but '08 stock (from my understanding)... and still the latest LV shape

More details please, which dealer etc...:)

Latest shape, '08 stock is just fine by me !

Was it $29,900 on road or plus ORC's ??? either way it's a bargain !!!

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 10:57 AM
More details please, which dealer etc...:)

Latest shape, '08 stock is just fine by me !

Was it $29,900 on road or plus ORC's ??? either way it's a bargain !!!

Brand new LV XR5 Turbo - $29,700

Plus $1,795 Dealer Delivery
Plus $790 Stamp Duty
Plus $660 Registration
Total $32,945 Drive Away

Only 3 left

President Ford
63 nepean Highway Elsternwick
03 8531 8555

USC
1st April 2009, 11:05 AM

Where did you get that info???

USC
1st April 2009, 11:07 AM
He drives a Mazda SP23

+1 How many times do I have to tell you this?? I used to own an AH Sri-T.

Wraith
1st April 2009, 11:08 AM

Plus $790 Stamp Duty
Plus $660 Registration
Total $32,945 Drive Away

Only 3 left

President Ford
03 8531 8555

Thanks Miz. I'm onto it :)

mitchv
1st April 2009, 11:10 AM

Why the downgrade :P jk

USC
1st April 2009, 11:12 AM

so you are saying you had GPS on your SRI - T. How the hell did you get that stock??

yes as mentioned before, I drive an mazda 3 sp23. Not the best or the most powerful or the most equipped. But I prefer it to my previous AH Sri-T...but lets not get into that.

USC
1st April 2009, 11:15 AM
Why the downgrade :P jk

Not happy with built quality, 2 doors, petrol consumption for the performance it was offering, rattles on dash board, rear view, gear box feel, got over the cheap silver plastic on the dash, no storage behind hand brake, no cup holder....etc.

You probably called it a downgrade because of non-turbo, but the mazda comes with so many better features and is an easier car to live with.

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 11:15 AM
Where did you get that info???

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24414/2010-volkswagen-golf-gti-tech-specs-more-pics-released/

"A six-speed manual is the standard transmission, although a quick-shifting six-speed DSG twin-clutch is also on offer. The DSG-equipped GTI boasts the same 0-100 time as the manual model, although top speed is down by 2km/h and economy is slightly worse at 7.4 l/100km."

"The seven-speed DSG that’s available on lesser models of the petrol-slurping Golf range is not available for the time being, most likely due to the higher torque and power output of the GTI’s engine."

USC
1st April 2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24414/2010-volkswagen-golf-gti-tech-specs-more-pics-released/

"A six-speed manual is the standard transmission, although a quick-shifting six-speed DSG twin-clutch is also on offer. The DSG-equipped GTI boasts the same 0-100 time as the manual model, although top speed is down by 2km/h and economy is slightly worse at 7.4 l/100km."

"The seven-speed DSG that’s available on lesser models of the petrol-slurping Golf range is not available for the time being, most likely due to the higher torque and power output of the GTI’s engine."

ah cool! :)

Wraith
1st April 2009, 11:20 AM

Plus $790 Stamp Duty
Plus $660 Registration
Total $32,945 Drive Away

Only 3 left

President Ford
03 8531 8555

ALL SOLD AARRRRGHHH :mad: not surprising though at that price...

Damn at that price I was ready to buy one right here and now DAMN !!!

mitchv
1st April 2009, 11:29 AM
Not happy with built quality, 2 doors, petrol consumption for the performance it was offering, rattles on dash board, rear view, gear box feel, got over the cheap silver plastic on the dash, no storage behind hand brake, no cup holder....etc.

You probably called it a downgrade because of non-turbo, but the mazda comes with so many better features and is an easier car to live with.

It was more just me having a joke and meant nothing from it, but surely you would of seen build quality, storage and rear window before you bought it? Performance and Fuel consumption you could of found out on the test drive? One might ask why you bought it?

I love mine because i am generally only a weekend driver, so fuel doesnt bother me much, rear vision isnt huge and as for storage, it beats my last car (Smart Roadster), so i am happy, though i do get a cup holder in mine, and storage under the handbreak (for my garage opener).

USC
1st April 2009, 11:56 AM
It was more just me having a joke and meant nothing from it, but surely you would of seen build quality, storage and rear window before you bought it? Performance and Fuel consumption you could of found out on the test drive? One might ask why you bought it?

I love mine because i am generally only a weekend driver, so fuel doesnt bother me much, rear vision isnt huge and as for storage, it beats my last car (Smart Roadster), so i am happy, though i do get a cup holder in mine, and storage under the handbreak (for my garage opener).

Impulse buying :p
I didnt look too much into it before purchasing. Funnily, I did not test drive it...which is damn stupid. Saw it at the melbourne show and wanted one. I bought the car because I like the exterior looks of the coupe with bodykit & 18" alloys:)..SEXY.

USC
1st April 2009, 11:57 AM
ALL SOLD AARRRRGHHH :mad: not surprising though at that price...

Damn at that price I was ready to buy one right here and now DAMN !!!

Save your money for the R35 GTR:D

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 12:23 PM
Anyway yeh... that GTi :D

Wraith
1st April 2009, 12:49 PM
Save your money for the R35 GTR:D

32k for a brand new current shape XR5T - I reckon anyone in the market for a hot hatch would've jumped on that...they told me the the majority on offer were sold within hours of being advertised...!!! so I had no chance since it was 1st advertised around a month ago DOH :mad2:

I'm willing to spend that much (and possibly a little more) on a new DD, regardless of whether or not I end up deciding to get another more expensive vehicle as well ;)

Might even take a closer look at this new Gti when it arrives, so far I like it alot, I would consider it, whereas none of the past models really grabbed my attention :)

USC
1st April 2009, 12:54 PM
Might even take a closer look at this new Gti when it arrives, so far I like it alot, I would consider it, whereas none of the past models really grabbed my attention :)

Same - The MK5 is not bad though, Not a fan of the MK4.Do you know when will it be released in Australia?

Apex
1st April 2009, 01:39 PM

It’s hard to remember what every member drives. Why not list it as what you drive like most do on here? It’s easier to reference when you make a pompous comment or pretend you have a clue about cars. I drive a SP23 says a lot :p

The Mk6 VW Golf is obviously going to be better than a Mk5 Astra.

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 01:39 PM
Same - The MK5 is not bad though, Not a fan of the MK4.Do you know when will it be released in Australia?

Volkswagen Australia is trying by the end of this year. I would say sometime next summer

Wraith
1st April 2009, 01:50 PM

Same here, can't stand the look of the Mk4, Mk5 was a definite improvement, but still not to my liking, really like this new Mk6...

Not sure when they'll be available here, the long waiting list time is going to be the same for sure :rolleyes:

Wraith
1st April 2009, 01:52 PM
Volkswagen Australia is trying by the end of this year. I would say sometime next summer

So the better part of 12 months away...and then if there's your typical 3-5 month wait on top of that...:mad2:

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 01:57 PM
So the better part of 12 months away...and then if there's your typical 3-5 month wait on top of that...:mad2:

Yep. Considering how many options there are, and the limited stock that will be initially allocated... i'd say it'd be a fair while to get the one you're after

JohnBu
1st April 2009, 02:20 PM
thats why I didn't want to wait for a Mk6 GTI... take forever to be released, and another forever to be delivered using my corporate discount.

anyway, I'm sure there be some XR5s in stock somewhere.

There are 20 brand new MY08s on carsales alone.

The retail price was $29,900, the special wasn't dealer specific, Ford Aust have cut the price.

Go search for one, i'm sure you can find one at retail price.

rjastra
1st April 2009, 02:28 PM
Next summer = dec 09 which is 8 months away.

Why a long waiting list? We are in a recession and car manufacturers sell what they can. I would think waiting lists will be for those idiots who want a unusually optioned car not in stock or in transit.

The Tiguan had a long waiting list UNTIL the sh*t hit the fan end of last year. Suddenly the waiting lists evaporated and orders were cancelled :)

PS. the 7 speed dry clutch DSG in the lower powered Golfs doesn't have the capacity to handle higher torque (250Nm+) engines. Thats why TDI and 2L turbo Golfs will still use the 6 speed DSG box.

Do not get confused with the DSG box Audi has for its north/south oriented engines (think S5)

Perhaps you should compare the top range Golf Pirelli (169kw) with the VXR ;)

Apex
1st April 2009, 02:37 PM
I would take the Sirocco for similar money if I wanted a hatch, it’s out here already. From the reviews it’s apparently ahead of its time.

Wraith
1st April 2009, 02:50 PM
thats why I didn't want to wait for a Mk6 GTI... take forever to be released, and another forever to be delivered using my corporate discount.

The retail price was $29,900, the special wasn't dealer specific, Ford Aust have cut the price.

Ah really, there could still be some available ??? - I'll have a look then John...

Wraith
1st April 2009, 02:51 PM
I would take the Sirocco for similar money if I wanted a hatch, it’s out here already. From the reviews it’s apparently ahead of its time.

Fair call, but your lucky enough to have the choice, we're not getting it in Aust :mad:

Wraith
1st April 2009, 02:56 PM

Hey John, just checked carsales.com.au - no matches for new Focus XR5T's found :mad:

If you or anyone else finds these put a link up...TIA :smile2:

mitchv
1st April 2009, 02:57 PM
Perhaps you should compare the top range Golf Pirelli (169kw) with the VXR ;)

Okay, its a 50k car on the road atleast, you have to have it in an ugly yellow, and its still .6 seconds slower to 100...

JohnBu
1st April 2009, 02:58 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-in-stock/results.aspx?Qpb=true&Ntt=focus%20xr5&keywords=focus%20xr5&State=All%20States&distance=25&sid=119BE8F38B24&N=0%20834%20284%201216&Dx=mode%20matchany&Nne=20&Ntk=CarAll&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&state_id=0&D=focus%20xr5

Theres more than a few MY08 LV XR5s on there.

USC
1st April 2009, 03:09 PM
It’s hard to remember what every member drives. Why not list it as what you drive like most do on here? It’s easier to reference when you make a pompous comment or pretend you have a clue about cars. I drive a SP23 says a lot :p

The Mk6 VW Golf is obviously going to be better than a Mk5 Astra.

Pretend I have a clue about cars hey? LOL

And you consider yourself very knowledgeable about cars because you bought a second hand grandpa 540i that looks like a boat on the road??

I will challenge your car and mechanical knowledge any time...fool.

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 03:11 PM
Okay, its a 50k car on the road atleast, you have to have it in an ugly yellow, and its still .6 seconds slower to 100...

I thought that too, until i saw them in silver... dark blue...

So yeh... not sure

So unless the dealers had colour coded the bumpers and fitted identical 18" rims to them

Wraith
1st April 2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-in-stock/results.aspx?Qpb=true&Ntt=focus%20xr5&keywords=focus%20xr5&State=All%20States&distance=25&sid=119BE8F38B24&N=0%20834%20284%201216&Dx=mode%20matchany&Nne=20&Ntk=CarAll&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&state_id=0&D=focus%20xr5

Theres more than a few MY08 LV XR5s on there.

Thanks John, I found them, I went to new cars, rather than dealer new cars...

Found a white one in Shepparton, am making enquiries :)

Apologies to everyone else for going off on a tangent...

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks John, I found them, I went to new cars, rather than dealer new cars...

Found a white one in Shepparton, am making enquiries :)

Apologies to everyone else for going off on a tangent...

To drive it or buy it?

mitchv
1st April 2009, 03:21 PM
I thought that too, until i saw them in silver... dark blue...

So yeh... not sure

So unless the dealers had colour coded the bumpers and fitted identical 18" rims to them

Yep, got that wrong, they come in other colours, but still 10k more, and its slower, it would be like me then going why dont you compare the pirelli to an STI WRX, then compare the STI to a TTS Audi, then an M3? what next?

GreyRex
1st April 2009, 03:23 PM
Yep, got that wrong, they come in other colours, but still 10k more, and its slower, it would be like me then going why dont you compare the pirelli to an STI WRX, then compare the STI to a TTS Audi, then an M3? what next?

I'll take the Veyron thanks

lol

USC
1st April 2009, 03:23 PM

Saw one in black..very nice indeed!

Wraith
1st April 2009, 03:33 PM
To drive it or buy it?

To buy it :)

As mentioned on the Focus RS thread, I like the the new (LV) XR5T but would'nt want one for 41k or so that they're normally priced at drive away, but for nearly 10k less at $32,900, I'd seriously consider one - in white of course...I'm sure most people here would too :)

USC
1st April 2009, 03:37 PM
To buy it :)

As mentioned on the Focus RS thread, I like the the new (LV) XR5T but would'nt want one for 41k or so that they're normally priced at drive away, but for nearly 10k less at $32,900, I'd seriously consider one - in white of course...I'm sure most people here would too :)

dont you want climate control?:p

Wraith
1st April 2009, 03:44 PM
dont you want climate control?:p

Talked about this before regarding cruise control...had it in just about every car I've owned (even my old VH SL/E Commodore) but have never used it - I reckon I'd fall asleep with cruise control on :lol:

As for climate control, good feature, but if it's not there I'm not really fussed...as said reason I'm seriously interested is because of the cost saving...it equates to the 1st years depreciation on this vehicle = great buy :)

Still waiting to here back from the stealer as to whether or not it's available, he did tell me its got the pin stripes which will add another $380 to the cost, what is it with those wide pin stripes these days, God I hate them...

USC
1st April 2009, 03:46 PM
Talked about this before regarding cruise control...had it in just about every car I've owned (even my old VH SL/E Commodore) but have never used it - I reckon I'd fall asleep with cruise control on :lol:

As for climate control, good feature, but if it's not there I'm not really fussed...as said reason I'm seriously interested is because of the cost saving...it equates to the 1st years depreciation on this vehicle = great buy :)

Still waiting to here back from the stealer as to whether or not it's available, he did tell me its got the pin stripes which will add another $380 to the cost, what is it with those wide pin stripes these days, God I hate them...

cool!! Is it white with blue stripes?

mitchv
1st April 2009, 03:49 PM
I'll take the Veyron thanks

lol

Exactly, as extreme as that is, 10k difference in the 40k mark is alot.

And Wraith, i completely agree, if they had been that price when i was looking, i would say i would have the XR5 based on price, because it does drive well, they are a little on the boring side (dont look that different to a Standard Focus) but for a 10k drop in price makes them amazing value, which they already are. I just look at them like the MPS as not much to visually look at, but thats buyer preference.

Wraith
1st April 2009, 03:50 PM
cool!! Is it white with blue stripes?

Yep, exactly - white with blue stripes, anyone want the stripes ???

It's the only white one available on this special deal left as far as I can find and it just happens to have those stupid stripes aaarrrghhh...

I know they can be removed, but I know you've got to be careful or you'll wreck the duco...

Wraith
1st April 2009, 03:55 PM
Exactly, as extreme as that is, 10k difference in the 40k mark is alot.

And Wraith, i completely agree, if they had been that price when i was looking, i would say i would have the XR5 based on price, because it does drive well, they are a little on the boring side (dont look that different to a Standard Focus) but for a 10k drop in price makes them amazing value, which they already are. I just look at them like the MPS as not much to visually look at, but thats buyer preference.

Agree, they're not a fancy car, but just nice and don't attract any unecessary attention and that's exactly why I'd have one as a DD, especially at that price...they're practicle, drive well, look good, can be boosted easily to higher performance levels becoming a bit of a sleeper and sound great ie. exhaust sound...

I'm not a big fan of the interior on these after having checked them out at the Melb. show, but again for that price, one can't complain too much, it'll do as the everyday hack :)

I've got my other cars to satisfy me in other ways :)

rjastra
1st April 2009, 05:14 PM

Depends on your bargaining skills I suppose..It's $5K more than a VXr yet comes with the $2500 DSG gearbox as standard. The Pirelli edition has the 169kW detuned S3 engine. About even with the HSV to 100km/h

USC
1st April 2009, 05:54 PM
Depends on your bargaining skills I suppose..It's $5K more than a VXr yet comes with the $2500 DSG gearbox as standard. The Pirelli edition has the 169kW detuned S3 engine. About even with the HSV to 100km/h

Its not all about 0-100...around a track, I think the Pirelli would do better.

mitchv
1st April 2009, 05:58 PM

I cant get a definitive 0-100 for the pirelli, but they range from 6.5 to 6.9. VXR is 6.2.

As for around the track, maybe, but again 10k more, can guarentee an STi beats a pirelli around the track, and so on.

USC
1st April 2009, 06:23 PM
I cant get a definitive 0-100 for the pirelli, but they range from 6.5 to 6.9. VXR is 6.2.

As for around the track, maybe, but again 10k more, can guarentee an STi beats a pirelli around the track, and so on.

VW is kinda prestige:p

chrissn89
1st April 2009, 09:19 PM

He drives a Mazda SP23

I never said you didnt. The question asked was What car do you OWN?

USC
1st April 2009, 09:42 PM
I never said you didnt. The question asked was What car do you OWN?

I was answering the other guy`s question by quoting your answer....hence the '+1'. OMG, this is so draining! No personal attacks to you or anyone...geeeeezzzzz.

poita
1st April 2009, 09:44 PM
have we all finished here or what?

chrissn89
1st April 2009, 10:04 PM
yes mum :nonod:

Apex
3rd April 2009, 09:16 AM
Pretend I have a clue about cars hey? LOL

And you consider yourself very lucky because you can afford to buy a second hand 545i M-Sport that looks like a sleak shark on the road??

I will bow down to your car and mechanical knowledge any time...car god.

Yes I do feel lucky but I work hard.

No worries, Just call out if you need any car advice mate.

:p

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/internet-24591.jpg

Chill Winston

USC
3rd April 2009, 09:45 AM
You are one funny man! Good on you. We need comedians in this world:p

Yes I do feel lucky but I work hard.

No worries, Just call out if you need any car advice mate.

:p

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/internet-24591.jpg

Chill Winston