PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED ASAP: Checking gearbox oil

Mitch
31st August 2004, 05:54 PM
I need to know how to check the gearbox oil in a 2001 TS Astra. It was leaking and I took it to the dealer and they said they fixed it but they didnt and I'm not sure how much is left because it's making wierd sounds when in gear.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,
Mitch

dan_kind
31st August 2004, 08:29 PM
Auto has no dipstick as far as i can remember...
..manual in mine has no inspection glass as its a 'non service' item...mine was leaking and i made them pull the oil out into a measured container, then add the correct amount in...mind you they had to pull bits and peices off to do this...

Mitch
31st August 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for that. It's a manual. I'm taking it to the Holden dealer tomorrow morning so they can fix it. Then when I get it back I'm going to sell it, I'm sick of it. :(

dan_kind
31st August 2004, 09:40 PM
...dewd think we have all been there, it will get sorted, and all will be sweet once again!

AnthonyW
31st August 2004, 09:56 PM
Very true cars have issues here and there but they can all be fixed.
Remember a well serviced car is a reliable car
If you sell it you’ll have similar issues with the next car etc.

Mitch
1st September 2004, 04:11 PM
Well it went into the dealer today and it's still there now. They are waiting on some "gaskets" to come in. I don't really have much idea on what parts they are changing or what they are doing because they couldn't even tell me. I got a phone call an hour after i dropped the car off and it was them saying "We took the car for a test drive but found nothing wrong, what was it you wanted us to look at?" They have no clue what they are doing, they didn't even know why the car was there.

I'm so pissed off with them. I suppose i should be used to it by now, it happens with them all the time. If it wasn't for warranty, I would take the car to a real mechanic. Some people have no idea ... :roll:

dan_kind
1st September 2004, 04:16 PM
Mitch, always leave with the vehicle a comprehensive check list signed by yourself.
By law (i beleive) with a customer complaint (make it a complaint!) the dealer must respond with each request.

Make it clear, infact, i would send a fax now indicating exactly what you feel is wrong with the vehicle...

Did you ask about the Gearbox Oil?

Mitch
1st September 2004, 04:43 PM
Did you ask about the Gearbox Oil?

Yep they said it was really low so they are going to change it.

dan_kind
1st September 2004, 04:50 PM
Riiiight
...well i would be ultra annoyed and (without being one of those idiot consumers) write a letter of complaint in regards to them not checking the oil in the first place, considering the fact that it went in to have a leak repaired...i mean if (although i doubt it has, because it would be REAL loud) damage occured, who would be blamed?

dodgy, at least put that shite down on paper *nods*

Mitch
2nd September 2004, 05:06 PM
I got it back today, they replaced the gear selector shaft.

dan_kind
3rd September 2004, 12:43 AM
ah

Mitch
7th September 2004, 12:51 AM
:evil:

That's all i am going to say, tomorrow it goes in for the 3RD time to try and fix the oil leak that is worse than it was before.

:bang:

Oh, and this time there's going to be complaints made!!!