PDA

View Full Version : impact strip problem

Anonymous
31st August 2004, 10:37 AM
Hi guys,

I've run into a problem with my grey impact strips.

For some reason, they seem to absorb car washing gel, and leave horrible white streaks.

Is there anyway to get rid of this.

Shits me to tears, as I've just fully detailed the car, and found that I have these white streaks.

I'm not interested in colour coding them, as I like how the grey breaks up the black, and retains an oe look.

Will a bit of metho help me out?

GOZOFF
31st August 2004, 10:39 AM
Yeh get them color coded :D

Then all your problems will wash away :lol: and it will look SIK too 8)

Dee
31st August 2004, 10:43 AM
take them off ;)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/c0mmy/donna/02.jpg

or but some black shoe polish on it when the car is cleaned and dry

Anonymous
31st August 2004, 11:56 AM
IMO, the grey breaks up the paint job nicely.

I would take them off, but it costs a bit to get the holes welded up, painted, etc.

Furthermore, the doors are cut where the impact strips end, so the strips and doors dont foul. So I'd need to get that fixed... Also, it is a little indented.

If I could get my hands on CDx strips, I'd be happy. Paint wont come off, smooth as hell (city impact ctrips need to be sanded), less trouble.

I REALLY want a e46 m3 dakar yellow respray, so I'll see how it goes.

It means I NEED to sand back the side skirts, and the proposed SRi front lip.

It's a wonder opel just didn't do these things in the first place.... :screwy:

Dee
31st August 2004, 12:02 PM
damn, i didnt know the astras had locations hole :( sorry mate...

Anonymous
31st August 2004, 12:08 PM
I was only told by a mate that they do.

Either way, there's a bit of work to be done to the underside of the strips on the 5 door astra's.

OzzySRi
5th September 2004, 06:02 PM
try using meguiars edurance tyre black on it. works well but dont put too much on or itll run a lil when it gets wet. by the time uve done it 3rd time round ull notice that the trim stays blacker longer

em
5th September 2004, 06:41 PM
Autumn... it is the silicone in the product that makes the bump strip gets that white look...

You will find that most washing products have silicone especially if you’re using a wash and wax...

All wax has silicone hence it beeing a wax, 8) silicone will help it stick to the paint and be a protector from the sun etc... But it tends to stick to plastic more because it is porous and absorbs stuff

gaero
5th September 2004, 08:32 PM
try using amourall. might need a bit to take them back to being all black, but after a week you'll get back the grey/been in the sun too long look that all opels get in oz (the opleaus tan :lol: ).

that will get rid of ur streaks until u wash it again

maybe use the amourall after u wash, then with a clean cloth rub the strips to take off the excess amourall, then the effect won't last as long (a day or two)

becareful though u got a black car so if u touch the paint you'll have grease marks

Anonymous
5th September 2004, 08:36 PM
yep, that should work, also, metho considering i dont splash it on the paint

people note that if they use armour all to treat the strips, you'll have trouble poainting them in the future

gaero
5th September 2004, 08:47 PM
yep, that should work, also, metho considering i dont splash it on the paint

people note that if they use armour all to treat the strips, you'll have trouble poainting them in the future

give metho a try, might find it causes more streaks though as it evapourates?

should be able to still paint them after using amourall, but might need some prep first, stop using amourall awhile before and spraying the strips with clay body filler etc.