PDA

View Full Version : Selling ethics

BEK-46P
18th March 2009, 07:11 PM
I found some VXR rims on ebay. I offered them $1550. A few days left until the end date, she calls up, agrees on price. We organise a pick-up date. I ask her if she wanted a deposit, she says just bring the cash on pickup. I then receive an email from her this morning saying she got offered $1635 and that if I beat that by $15 more, she would hold out for me. I said $1550 was all I could afford, she told me to f-off (figuaritively)

Ethical or not?

sooty
18th March 2009, 07:13 PM
Ethics don't really come into selling too much these days, most people are just out for as much money as they can get. She had an offer from person A, (you) and then a better offer from person B (them)....i'm sure she prob doesn't care who gets them as long as she gets the money, but you can't help but feel a bit ripped off....

DirtyHarry
18th March 2009, 09:03 PM
well for $85 i think that woman is ****ed. seriously that was wrong.

vectraguy01
18th March 2009, 09:05 PM
she just got greedy same as alot of others around, maybe just report her to ebay if u wish, other than that, cant do much about it, everyone is out to make money and if she wants to play games so be it.

ROCCO
18th March 2009, 09:07 PM
dude thats farked...I feel your pain...people shouldn't be able to do that...once you agree to a figure thats it...contract signed

auzvectra
18th March 2009, 09:30 PM
unfortuantely honor is long dead in this society.
i like the days of samuri, even when they were killing eachother with swords, they still had honor to an enemy.

Keep'emRunning
18th March 2009, 09:43 PM
yeah that's pretty screwed!

The guy i just bought my interstate car from, had local buyers lined up with cash in hand, yet he kept it for me even though it was hard deal for him to follow through with. There are still cool dudes around. :cool:

maloo97
18th March 2009, 09:46 PM
Mate thats just ****ing low in my books!

As stated by keep em go after her with a vegeance thru ebay complaints...

mania
18th March 2009, 10:16 PM
Did she actually accept your ebay offer? Or just say yes verbally? If so she sounds like she's trying to rip ebay out of their final value fee.. could report her on those grounds.

cobey
18th March 2009, 10:26 PM
since she is accepting offers through ebay outside of the auction she is breaching ebays terms and condition ebay could cancel her account also could cancel yours for making an offer outside the auction

maloo97
18th March 2009, 10:27 PM
Very true

Snotty
18th March 2009, 10:28 PM
since she is accepting offers through ebay outside of the auction she is breaching ebays terms and condition ebay could cancel her account also could cancel yours for making an offer outside the auction
the offer was formally made using "best offer"
looks like it was only accepted verbally.
next time get them to formally accept the offer on ebay

lol @ tuzinski offering $15

BEK-46P
18th March 2009, 10:37 PM
Tuz must've made that offer right after I told him I scored the rims, in which case LOL!

USC
18th March 2009, 11:05 PM
Greedy bitch...did she mean $15 more than the second offer?
Report her to ebay.

Hoya
18th March 2009, 11:48 PM
damn mate thats got to suck when she said she will sell them to you.
if she was really serious she would of taken them off ebay until you came and got them.

Shay
19th March 2009, 01:11 AM
that sucks aye, who accepts an offer and is then like ahh got a better one now soz...

glider
19th March 2009, 01:24 AM
Tuz must've made that offer right after I told him I scored the rims, in which case LOL!

:confused:

J
19th March 2009, 02:00 AM
Perhaps there isn't even any other offer from anyone else. The seller just wants to rip more money out of you, knowing that you want the rims...

Which is why in future, it's a good idea to put it in signed writing first. Buyer and seller both a copy each. That way, no one can back out of it. A deal's a deal's a deal.

I've seen practices around that are even worse. At least you haven't lost any money!

Keep'emRunning
19th March 2009, 09:59 AM
..if you have her email and phone number, download a hot lookin' pic and sign her up on redhotpie.com.au :D

JohnBu
19th March 2009, 10:23 AM
**** her.

not ethical.

but anyway, just tell her that you'll pay $1,650.

just play along with her, but don't buy it.

say you'll come tmrw at X time, call up 30 mins after you were suppose to come to say that you're running late.

1 hr later, arrange another time.

tell her to meet you at the tyre place so they can inspect it.. again make her wait.

don't show.

repeat

rjastra
19th March 2009, 10:27 AM
It's called gazumping

Now, be honest. If you made a verbal agreement over the phone to sell your car for 20K then someone came along and offered 25K what would you do... honestly.

Greg K
19th March 2009, 10:28 AM
had a bad experience before John???

Calibrated
19th March 2009, 10:43 AM
yeah.. that astra turbo for sale for 12 that my bro wants to buy.. guy calls him on monday saying he got an offer for 13, can he beat it? LOL. who offers more than the advertised price?

calls back yesterday to say buyer couldnt come up with the cash. haha. dumbass.

btm
19th March 2009, 12:57 PM
**** her.

not ethical.

but anyway, just tell her that you'll pay $1,650.

just play along with her, but don't buy it.

say you'll come tmrw at X time, call up 30 mins after you were suppose to come to say that you're running late.

1 hr later, arrange another time.

tell her to meet you at the tyre place so they can inspect it.. again make her wait.

don't show.

repeat

hahahahah :D

Hoya
19th March 2009, 05:19 PM
if you got her address go steal them of her and then you get them for free

Jerram
19th March 2009, 06:57 PM
how about we give the address to you and you steal them for us.

mm I guess you have to ask yourself about all this

"What would I do in the same position?"

be honest now.

BEK-46P
19th March 2009, 07:31 PM
It's called gazumping

Now, be honest. If you made a verbal agreement over the phone to sell your car for 20K then someone came along and offered 25K what would you do... honestly.

That's a really bad hypothetical :rolleyes:

If there was the slightest chance of getting 25K, I'd never settle for 20K in the first place.

But for the sake of speculation, it would depend on how much I liked the personality of the original buyer.

This chick sold me out for $75 so it's clear she didn't think much of me, LOL

ROCCO
19th March 2009, 07:43 PM
you shudda said I can only afford my first offer however sexual favours are not off the books

Keep'emRunning
19th March 2009, 08:11 PM
if you got her address go steal them of her and then you get them for free

hahah I like that sort of simplicity!

poita
19th March 2009, 11:04 PM
i've been in this situation before.

simply, i have $x to pay for it, take it or leave it.
usually you see the item up for sale again pretty soon

Wraith
20th March 2009, 09:23 AM
Ethics don't really come into selling too much these days, most people are just out for as much money as they can get. She had an offer from person A, (you) and then a better offer from person B (them)....i'm sure she prob doesn't care who gets them as long as she gets the money, but you can't help but feel a bit ripped off....

+ 1

Be honest all - who on here would not have done the same ??? ie: take the best offer ;)

We're talking about selling something to total strangers - best offer/highest amount always wins, everybody would do the same !!!

If it were to someone you know or a fellow forum member, then yes a decent person would apply some manner of ethics...my 2 cents...

Wraith
20th March 2009, 09:27 AM
It's called gazumping

Again - totally agree...

It's not nice being on the recieving end of this sort of thing, BUT we'd all do it unless it's concerning someone you know more personally than a total stranger !!!

oneightoo
20th March 2009, 09:33 AM
i would sell to whoever offered a substantial amount more..

ie.. agree to sell to person A for 20k, then person B comes along, offeres $21k, i'd sell to person B..

if it were only $15 dollars more? nah, i'd keep it with person i agreed to sell to first..

end of the day, im not in the business of sales.. this is my stuff i wanna get rid of, i dont care if you miss out on an agreed price just because someone offered me more.. im taking as much for ir as i can get.. simple..