PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Gullwing **NEW**

Ice
16th March 2009, 08:26 AM
Link below for the new MB Gullwing...... Cant wait !

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/content/australia/mpc/mpc_australia__website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/passenger_cars_world/rep_press/March_Press_Releases_2009.0004.html

Wraith
16th March 2009, 09:30 AM
Interesting, sounds very nice, but also sounds like a combination of technologies/approaches of some other recent hi-po cars...would be good to see what it's going to end up looking like :)

Aluminium main body space frame construction - Audi TT's
Transaxle rear trans set up - Nissan GT-R
Front/mid engine mount and low centre of gravity sounds good, 52/48 front rear weight distribution is the ideal ?? I thought 50/50 was the optimum...

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome car especially with a 420kw V8 but it's going to be out of reach for most people price wise :(

Ice
16th March 2009, 09:40 AM
Interesting, sounds very nice, but also sounds like a combination of technologies/approaches of some other recent hi-po cars...would be good to see what it's going to end up looking like :)

Aluminium main body space frame construction - Audi TT's
Front/mid engine mount and low centre of gravity sounds good, 52/48 front rear weight distribution is the ideal ?? I thought 50/50 was the optimum...

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome car especially with a 420kw V8 but it's going to be out of reach for most people price wise :(

I knew you would post first !

Regarding Technology, no doubt you have heard of Merc's Pre-safe system which was released some time ago ? something you might be interested in......Basically drives itself. I just wonder how reliable something like this will be...i mean detecting if your going to crash ? read about it and then tell me how many flaws you find in it.

Wraith
16th March 2009, 09:46 AM
I knew you would post first !

Regarding Technology, no doubt you have heard of Merc's Pre-safe system which was released some time ago ? something you might be interested in......Basically drives itself. I just wonder how reliable something like this will be...i mean detecting if your going to crash ? read about it and then tell me how many flaws you find in it.

LOL I fire up the net at about 8:00am and just leave it in the background all day, so probably why I get in 1st :)

But yeh, that self drive system was shown on Top Gear a while back on some other Merc model, it seemed to work very well as I recall, really freaking out Clarkson...:D

btm
16th March 2009, 10:19 AM
she's thirsty!

Ice
16th March 2009, 10:30 AM
she's thirsty!

not really an issue is it when your buying a gullwing !

btm
16th March 2009, 10:51 AM
good point!

lee683
16th March 2009, 11:33 AM

thats nothing new. it was in cars way before the GTR
corvettes have had them like that for years

Wraith
16th March 2009, 12:24 PM
not really an issue is it when your buying a gullwing !

Or a 420kw V8 :D

Wraith
16th March 2009, 12:28 PM
thats nothing new. it was in cars way before the GTR
corvettes have had them like that for years

Really...never knew Corvettes were ever fitted with rear mounted automated manuals also acting as a transverse axle :confused: learn something new everyday :)

Could've sworn I've read literature stating the R35 is the 1st of its kind with that set up - must be something different or specific or not done before with the set up of the GT-R :)

lee683
16th March 2009, 10:59 PM
Really...never knew Corvettes were ever fitted with rear mounted automated manuals also acting as a transverse axle :confused: learn something new everyday :)

Could've sworn I've read literature stating the R35 is the 1st of its kind with that set up - must be something different or specific or not done before with the set up of the GT-R :)

all im saying is that theres been cars before the gtr that have had a transaxel gearboxes.

Jerram
16th March 2009, 11:05 PM
But yeh, that self drive system was shown on Top Gear a while back on some other Merc model, it seemed to work very well as I recall, really freaking out Clarkson...:D

Are you talking about the one where it drives itself around the track?

If so that was actually a Beamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-zg7vuH9I&feature=related

Wraith
17th March 2009, 10:36 AM
all im saying is that theres been cars before the gtr that have had a transaxel gearboxes.

Fair enough Lee that's true...:)

Wraith
17th March 2009, 10:38 AM
Are you talking about the one where it drives itself around the track?

If so that was actually a Beamer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-zg7vuH9I&feature=related

No not that one, there was a Merc that he took on a road and when it came up behind other vehicles/intersections it slowed itself down and braked properly :)

Ice
17th March 2009, 01:07 PM
No not that one, there was a Merc that he took on a road and when it came up behind other vehicles/intersections it slowed itself down and braked properly :)

yep i remember that....was ages ago too. whats happens when the computer fails though ? thats why ide never be able to trust it 100%

Shay
17th March 2009, 07:31 PM
yep i remember that....was ages ago too. whats happens when the computer fails though ? thats why ide never be able to trust it 100%

+1 or if it gets dirty, could be on the breaks a lil bit all the time.

Wraith
17th March 2009, 08:34 PM
It's only a matter of time guys, the technology and hardware will improve, like everything else and it may become standard on cars of the future...;)

Ice
17th March 2009, 10:32 PM
It's only a matter of time guys, the technology and hardware will improve, like everything else and it may become standard on cars of the future...;)

yes your right but.....like humans it will have its faults....and they could be fatal....obviously they will be trying to make sure this doesnt happen but im hugely sceptical in this area.