Tyre Rotation

When should you do it?
how often ... every xxxx km???

Vectracious
30th August 2004, 11:01 PM
I've always been told every 10,000km. :|

InsaneAsylum
31st August 2004, 12:09 AM
good call pete, as often as possible. FWD cars suck!

extralarge
31st August 2004, 12:23 AM
every 1/2 a year. or 5000ks if you are keen.

anicorsa
31st August 2004, 02:56 AM
i better do it then... :P

Lee_Um
31st August 2004, 01:26 PM
10,000km is what most companies suggest. Ie kmart tyre n auto has the offer of free tyre rotation every 10,000 km for the lifetime of the tyres.

sunny
31st August 2004, 01:52 PM
and whats the avg price of tyre rotation???

extralarge
31st August 2004, 01:55 PM
kmart got a good deal there..

you can easily do it yourself though

Anonymous
31st August 2004, 03:49 PM
i will do it for you for $10 :lol:

sunny
31st August 2004, 07:07 PM
i will do it for you for $10 :lol:

is that thru your dad's work?

dan_kind
31st August 2004, 08:21 PM
tyre rotation isnt a big job if your keen, just pop the car on the standard jack (careful) and use the spare in each location while ur moving them around.

non-directional tyres should go diagonal, unidirectional obviously can only move between each side...

there is no real answer to the question of when, if the fronts look more warn, swap em! front wheel drive will always end up with more wear on the front...

i rotate mine at about 15-20,000ks, the pirellis on the car now have done 59,000 and still have heaps left...

i would also make a big note of the recommended max tyre pressures, and use them!

imay
31st August 2004, 10:48 PM
My local tyre dealer has told me that FWD cars have a tendency for the rear to "skip" thereby causing the tyres to wear unevenly, and you can end up with tyres resembling 50c pieces. Easiest way around that is to call in and have them rotated (front to back) every 6 months/10,000 km as mentioned previously.
If you are keen, and have an hour or so free, do it yourself . . . might as well give those wheels a real good clean while they are off, too!

Vectracious
1st September 2004, 10:28 AM
I just use a trolley jack, put it on the front jack mounting point and then keep lifting the car until both front and back are off the ground, then just swap front to back.

And contrary to what people might say, there is not that much body flex (on either the Astra or the Vectra) ie all doors can be open and closed properly while the car is up, and it's only up about 5 minutes at the most.

Lee_Um
1st September 2004, 12:27 PM
A pattern that is used for fwd's is the front right goes to back left. front left goes to back right, and the rear tyres just go straight to the front ie back right to front right, back left to front left. rwds are opposite.

anicorsa
1st September 2004, 01:01 PM
A pattern that is used for fwd's is the front right goes to back left. front left goes to back right, and the rear tyres just go straight to the front ie back right to front right, back left to front left. rwds are opposite.

Depends what tyres you have i guess.
Directional tyres need to stay on the same side. Am i right?

krayzastra
1st September 2004, 01:36 PM

Directional tyres need to stay on the same side. Am i right?You would have to i guess, but you could do it the proper way as Lee_Um sates - just need to take your tyres of each rim to do so :D :D :D :D So it be a tyre rotation not wheel rotation. Be a bicth hey. :shock:

sunny
1st September 2004, 01:36 PM

Directional tyres need to stay on the same side. Am i right?

yes you are right swapping front and back

Vectracious
1st September 2004, 01:37 PM

The Manual for the Vectra has a diagram showing that it's a straight front to back change - there is no crossover required and I'm pretty sure it's the same for the Astra too.

Anonymous
1st September 2004, 04:50 PM
sunny you come to my place and i will rotate your tyres

Anonymous
1st September 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm lazy I get Bob Jane,Etc do Rotate my Wheels and Tyres.
Then each wheel balanced on the Car and a Wheel Alignment every 5000km.
It handles and Drives smoother that way. :)

OzzySRi
1st September 2004, 06:37 PM
i rotate tyres every 5000km when my car is up on the hoist gettin its oil changed

Dee
1st September 2004, 06:45 PM

The Manual for the Vectra has a diagram showing that it's a straight front to back change - there is no crossover required and I'm pretty sure it's the same for the Astra too.

if you swapped sides without taking the rubber off and turning that around too the tread on the tyre will be going the wrong direction

Vectracious
1st September 2004, 11:36 PM
if you swapped sides without taking the rubber off and turning that around too the tread on the tyre will be going the wrong direction

Yep, which is why you keep the left tyres on the left side and right tyres on the right side.

I do this on the Vectra and the Astra because the rear suspension on both have slight negative camber - ie the wheels lean into the car a little, so a tyre will wear the inside slightly more than the outside.

Front tyres because of cornering forces will wear the outside of the tyre slightly more than the inside. Threfore, by swapping back to front and vice versa, keeping the tyres on the same side of the car that they came from, you will get more even wear....

swifty
6th October 2004, 11:05 AM
"This is the practice of swapping the front and back tyres to even out the wear. I personally don't think this is a particularly clever thing to do. Think about it: the tyres begin to wear in a pattern, however good or bad, that matches their position on the car. If you now change them all around, you end up with tyres worn for the rear being placed on the front and vice versa. The upside of it, of course, (which many people will tell you) is even overall tyre wear. By this, they mean wear in the tread depth. This is a valid point, but if you can't be bothered to buy a new pair of tyres when the old pair wear too much, then you shouldn't be on the road, let alone kidding yourself that putting worn front tyres on the back and partly worn back tyres on the front will cure your problem".

Extracted from: http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

blackSRi
6th October 2004, 11:27 AM
My fronts wore so badly after not rotating for 20,000km (only less than 1mm over minimum tread wear indicator) that I had to swap over the rears to the front to even out wear (the rears are now down to wear indicator - hence my WTB for two tyres in the For sale section). I had no choice as the front tyres were so worn.
Before this I used to rotate at 10,000km, including the full-size spare in the boot.
My mate from school owns a tyre place so I get him to rotate and balance the wheels - they fitted one with a weight due to uneven spin (I think it was the spare).
I also got him to plug the two tyres that were on the back when I first got the car - both had stuff in them - the left a screw, the right a U-nail. (The screw tyre has been going down slowly (5-8psi a week) from about a week after I got the car - the screw had been in there for over 1 year!).
All I can say is rotate regularly, and watch the wear - it changes at different time of the year- winter (wet and slippery for the fronts) and summer (dry road) and on different surfaces - ie gravel, cement slabs. So you might have to swap after a long driving holiday in the country in winter - like I had to do.

raymond
6th October 2004, 03:41 PM
rotating :lol:
not for me
i put the fronts tyres in the bin
becos smoking up tyres are bad mmmoookkk
then i put the rears on the fronts and new tyres on the back
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Oldmate
6th October 2004, 06:26 PM
Tyre rotation depends realy on what size tires you have.
With a 35 series tyre i would rotate every 5000kms (once with service and twice in between) and keep 40 psi tyre presure check every week. I would also do a balance and aglin every 10000 to 15000km or if it vibrates i would do it sooner
With a 40-50 series tyre i would rotate every 7000km( or once in between service) tyre presure set at aprox 38psi and balance and aglin every 15000km.
With 60-75 series tyre i would do rotate every service and balance and aglin when needed depending on tyre wear and vibration.I would set tyre presure to 32-34psi.

Oldmate

dug74
6th October 2004, 07:13 PM
Well my car has done 10K kms..and i got my tyres rotated today...they are 205/40 17's and other than drivers front having a flat spot....i wonder where that came from....thinks back to 10day old car @mt nebo :mrgreen:

And i would recommend...about 7500 to 10000 for 40 series...dont wait till 15K service...thats too long..

Cheers
DUG74