PDA

View Full Version : Vic-Nsw Rego/insurance/greenslip.. how?

Keep'emRunning
15th March 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys,

What's involved in getting a car rego'd in NSW after buying it from Vic?

I'll probably be arranging car transport this week, and just need to know the hoops I'll have to jump through!

Anyone here done it?

Can the car be driven home from the transport depot once it arrives?

cheers

dave

Keep'emRunning
16th March 2009, 09:16 AM
...wow, no-one?

btm
16th March 2009, 10:03 AM
is it currently registered in Vic? or out of rego?

maloo97
16th March 2009, 10:46 AM
If 182 Surfaces today he might be able to give you the heads up!

oneightoo
16th March 2009, 11:48 AM
you need a blue slip, then it's just like rego'ing any other car..

you also need to hand in the plates when rego'ing.. they will then give you new ones, obviously..

Snotty
16th March 2009, 12:35 PM
...wow, no-one?
it took me less time to find the info on the rta website than it did to read your post

Geebs
16th March 2009, 05:53 PM
I did it.

Had to get a blue slip. Then a green slip. Take these to the RTA to get your rego. Normally you hand your plates in unless they are custom plates, in which case Vic Roads tells you you keep them, and the old man wearing a cardigan at the RTA says he has to take them. You have a massive argument, they get the manager to come, you have it out with them, and in the end you keep your plates and sign a Stat Dec saying you are keeping them.

Keep'emRunning
17th March 2009, 07:31 AM
haha.. yep Snotty I did read that info several times :)

The confusion was about driving the car from the carriers depot to get the blueslip, which is supposedly the one nearest in distance to where the car is dropped off. On the website there was no info on CTP coverage in case of an accident.

Also driving the vehicle home from from the blueslip issuers (about a 30k drive), since technically the car is unregistered in NSW. What happens if the police decide to go ahead and make your day?

After talking to the RTA yesterday, you are covered by provisional CTP when driving the car to get the blueslip, but she was hazy on whether driving it home was covered as well.

And since the car is unregistered, you can't get comprehensive insurance or even obtain a cover note, although AAMI was telling me to ask the RTA, who told me to ask AAMI :)

Plates aren't a prob, take 'em off as Geebs said, and hand them in. The biggest pita though is that buying a car interstate will incur 2.8% stamp duty tax on the purchase price,along with new rego and some other nice fees. Even though Vic has stringent registration laws, they aren't good enough for NSW :rolleyes:

So.. still in the dark about the comprehensive insurance, and legality of driving it home..

When the Vic registration is transferred into my name, can I claim the balance of the cost from the Vic RTA when it gets NSW rego?

Snotty
17th March 2009, 08:07 AM
you can still drive it with the victorian rego until you put nsw rego on it. insurances would be covered still with whatever ctp the have in vic.
just because your in a different state doesnt matter.
you still have a period of time to drive the car around under the previous owners name until you transfer it to yours.

your making a bigger deal out of it than what it really is.

Keep'emRunning
17th March 2009, 08:49 AM
yep your prolly correct :)

Theres a few stories on the ricer forums about the rta and police picking on interstate plated cars (maybe due to the high number of rebirths happening around Oz atm) but hopefully it will go smooth as silky once it's here.

oneightoo
17th March 2009, 09:55 AM
long story short..

if a cop pulls you over and you have no rego, and you are on your way to get the blue slip, he will let you go..

a little blue birdy told me..

btm
17th March 2009, 10:20 AM
your making a bigger deal out of it than what it really is.
doesnt hurt to be cautious and ask questions though...

glider
17th March 2009, 10:38 AM
haha.. yep Snotty I did read that info several times :)

The confusion was about driving the car from the carriers depot to get the blueslip, which is supposedly the one nearest in distance to where the car is dropped off. On the website there was no info on CTP coverage in case of an accident.

Also driving the vehicle home from from the blueslip issuers (about a 30k drive), since technically the car is unregistered in NSW. What happens if the police decide to go ahead and make your day?

After talking to the RTA yesterday, you are covered by provisional CTP when driving the car to get the blueslip, but she was hazy on whether driving it home was covered as well.

And since the car is unregistered, you can't get comprehensive insurance or even obtain a cover note, although AAMI was telling me to ask the RTA, who told me to ask AAMI :)

Plates aren't a prob, take 'em off as Geebs said, and hand them in. The biggest pita though is that buying a car interstate will incur 2.8% stamp duty tax on the purchase price,along with new rego and some other nice fees. Even though Vic has stringent registration laws, they aren't good enough for NSW :rolleyes:

So.. still in the dark about the comprehensive insurance, and legality of driving it home..

When the Vic registration is transferred into my name, can I claim the balance of the cost from the Vic RTA when it gets NSW rego?

I'm wondering a similar thing with my cali at the moment

it WAS registered in NSW (no longer)

I am allowed to drive to to Qld Transport directly but the CTP covers the car with NSW licence plates... so at the moment with the car unregistered is it still covered and will it still be til I get home and tell them about changing states

Keep'emRunning
6th April 2009, 02:08 PM
..blue sri could be on the road soon :)

I was told by Vic Roads when enquiring about reg. transfer to send the victorian plates back to them along with a refund form. Don't do this, hand them in!

And yes, driving from a dropoff point to a blueslip inspection station is covered by provisional greenslip (in nsw anyway)

btm
6th April 2009, 02:25 PM
glad to hear it all went smoothly :p

will have to keep an eye out for a blue SRiT around the traps now! :)

Greg K
6th April 2009, 02:43 PM
pics or ban!! :P

also, might see you around the shire too!!

oneightoo
6th April 2009, 03:22 PM
hate to say i told you so, but...

you need a blue slip, then it's just like rego'ing any other car..

you also need to hand in the plates when rego'ing.. they will then give you new ones, obviously..

told you so..

had you just done what i said, you'd have skipped all the heartache :p

glad you finally got it sorted tho dude :)

btm
6th April 2009, 03:24 PM
4 shire posts in a row... that's got to be some sort of record :p

oneightoo
6th April 2009, 03:47 PM
lol prolly

maloo97
7th April 2009, 01:33 PM
:nopics::nopics1:
:picsorban:

btm
7th April 2009, 01:43 PM
now that's 7...

Greg K
7th April 2009, 02:08 PM
now that's 7...

you mean 9... :p

the Shireites are taking over Opelaus!

oneightoo
7th April 2009, 03:49 PM

get some pics up..

preferrably pics of the changing of rego, just to keep this thread on topic :D

sooty
7th April 2009, 04:07 PM
pics or ban
(sequence broken shire people:cornut:)

Keep'emRunning
7th April 2009, 08:19 PM
Kinda like these rims, but matching blue paint with wheels would be kinda hard....

btm
8th April 2009, 08:09 AM
but matching blue paint with wheels is kinda hard....
go white :)

maloo97
8th April 2009, 06:52 PM
Go black! :)

btm
9th April 2009, 08:08 AM
go white! :)

Greg K
9th April 2009, 08:53 AM
go anthracite! :)

oneightoo
13th April 2009, 05:00 PM
go mother of pearl

btm
14th April 2009, 10:31 AM
go pink :p

Keep'emRunning
14th April 2009, 10:42 AM
..guess I could just paint each spoke a different colour... kinda like one of those rental Kombi Vans hired by danish tourists to go mushroom picking on w/ends... weeeeeeee.

btm
14th April 2009, 12:38 PM
wicked campers style :D