PDA

View Full Version : New member wants opinion

Djbarnstar
12th March 2009, 03:23 PM
G'day All,

Have just joined as I am looking to buy the bride a new car.

I am looking at an 03 Turbo Convertible. She wants blue but I can only find black and silver ones. Did they make blue?

How much boost do these come standard with and what PSI can you run in them saftley?

Do you rekon they are a good choice?

Cheers

auzvectra
12th March 2009, 03:37 PM
the vert only got black and silver in the turbo, the 3dr/sri-t got black, blue and silver.

great car, nothing much goes wrong with them.

they run 7psi stock with a 12psi overboost.
a $400 remap which some of us do on here for them brings it upto about the maximum the turbo can push without pushing it too far. which targets about 15psi, with an overboost of 18-22psi, but normally without an exhaust ect will drop off in the higer revs to about 11-12psi.

btm
12th March 2009, 04:19 PM
great choice IMO

just wait till wraith sees this thread. he owns the mintest silver turb vert going around

Djbarnstar
12th March 2009, 05:07 PM
Yep, Pretty keen on one.

I had to find something that had 4 seats, was fun to drive, droptop, turbo for me (I currently own a 300kw VE SS and prevuoisly had a r32GTR) and was pretty easy on the maintainence and insurance.

Overboost function? Is there a button or just comes on WOT on particular gears?

Most I have seen are between 18k - 25k. Would probably rather one that has a little work already done - Intake exhaust and intercooler.

What do you think price wise?

Anyone got one for sale?

Cheers,

James

auzvectra
12th March 2009, 05:34 PM
should be some on carsales normaly is.
overboost is just at high loads, so high gear wot, designed for overtaking.

hazrd
12th March 2009, 06:08 PM
here you go mate.. feast your eyes on this baby :yikes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-Holden-Astra-TS-TURBO-Convertible_W0QQitemZ330313843873QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Cars?hash=item330313843873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-Holden-Astra-TS-TURBO-Convertible_W0QQitemZ330313843873QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Cars?hash=item330313843873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

48kms - 19 grand... not bad IMO
EDIT: its also on carsales for $20k

Jerram
12th March 2009, 06:25 PM
Looks nice that one. Also owned by someone who appeared to take an interest in it so will probably be in good shape.

Djbarnstar
12th March 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes quite nice, don't know about those rims though... Wonder if it also comes with the stockies.

Also, how much power do these things make at the tyres when they are tuned with the basic bolt ons. (exhaust, intake and ecu tweak)?

auzvectra
12th March 2009, 09:29 PM
i of my sri-t's has ~200hp at the wheels with 3" exhaust, intake (just a pod n sheild), my remap and fmic!!

auzvectra
12th March 2009, 09:34 PM
pretty sure that 1 is scrubbing too :). tyres too big without gaurds rolled.

Djbarnstar
12th March 2009, 09:36 PM
200 hp at the wheels. What is the stock output on the rollers?

auzvectra
13th March 2009, 02:15 AM
~140-160hp depending on the car, but thats just the peak power, the best gains r in the midrange ;).

btm
13th March 2009, 08:08 AM
here you go mate.. feast your eyes on this baby :yikes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-Holden-Astra-TS-TURBO-Convertible_W0QQitemZ330313843873QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Cars?hash=item330313843873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2003-Holden-Astra-TS-TURBO-Convertible_W0QQitemZ330313843873QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZAU_Cars?hash=item330313843873&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

48kms - 19 grand... not bad IMO
EDIT: its also on carsales for $20k

personally not a fan of the talon front bar on that one

Djbarnstar
14th March 2009, 07:19 PM
yes, looks odd

ASTRAY
14th March 2009, 11:04 PM
was going to say that myself, looks out of place on the vert, though the stock one also makes it look a little docile, anyone got pics of nice looking kits on one?
i myself am looking at getting one.
was looking for a hatch, but you can pick up a vert with low km for the same price as same km same cond hatch.
dealer down the road has one with 49,000km for 26k.
made an offer for 20k about 2 weeks ago, considering theyve had it on their lots for near 6months. they said no to 20k, but today i upped my offer to 21k, not going any higher though. no mods either, so that ebay one looks real tempting. can just swap a hatch owner for front bar, and flog the rims off on ebay, they arent my style either.

the only downfall is the vert has 150kg extra weight cos of extra body stiffening and roof mech.

edit, i wonder how the front bar looks on it when the roof is down?....

Djbarnstar
15th March 2009, 09:16 PM
It's always a concern... the weight that is. More weight less regidity.... wobling like a fat chick doing push ups.

But I think its worth it for the driving experience. Lets face it, it's never going to be a ferrari or porche. Live it up that its at least a turbo and tuneable. Wind up the boost and enjoy 2 hairdryers at once.

I rekon get one that is about 20K. Thats what were aiming for. Over that and your paying too much. Check redbook out.

Post that link that you have made the offer on.

Don't forget that it is a 7 yr old car.

My biggest concern is the durablity of the soft top.. Any probs from anyone?

ASTRAY
15th March 2009, 10:46 PM
It's always a concern... the weight that is. More weight less regidity.... wobling like a fat chick doing push ups.

But I think its worth it for the driving experience. Lets face it, it's never going to be a ferrari or porche. Live it up that its at least a turbo and tuneable. Wind up the boost and enjoy 2 hairdryers at once.

I rekon get one that is about 20K. Thats what were aiming for. Over that and your paying too much. Check redbook out.

Post that link that you have made the offer on.

Don't forget that it is a 7 yr old car.

My biggest concern is the durablity of the soft top.. Any probs from anyone?

the car i made an offer on isnt on the net mate, its in a local car yard.
i see it like this, im gonna be seen as a wanker by many, for getting a vert, owning a vert is a dream had by many, not my dream, but itd still be cool having a vert when im on my "seeing the country side" drives.
drop the top and have a 360 veiw of the landscape, i love the idea.
dunno if ill regret the extra 150kg of weight, i should prob test drive a hatch then the vert, to see how they compare.

as for the soft top, im reading all over the net that most other verts have just a single layer cloth roof, but the g vert has 3 layers, so thats very comforting.
the one im looking at has about 4 spots where the roof has started to "scuff", not bad, but yeah you can tell theres going to be some wear.
i suppose it depends on how many times and how often your going to be dropping the top mate.
but im not the best person to really be speculating, ive never owned a vert.
i have, (and you probably should too) read reviews posted on the net about owners experiences.
ive seen alot of negs, but it hasnt really detered me, maybe just made me more wary to potential problems.

imay
16th March 2009, 10:34 AM
As I've stated before when the question on convertible ownership has been raised:
If you really, really, really want a convertible . . . get it. You won't regret it. But don't get one because you think you might like one . . . you'll find something about it you don't like and therefore not fully appreciate the experience.
Negatives can be:
Not safe enough (soft top = easy thief target mobile and stationery. Just be alert to where you park and drive)
Too windy/cold (put the windbreak and windows up, turn on the heated seats)
Too hot in summer (cap, sunscreen and sensible use of roof-up and air-conditioning)
Too heavy (it's a tourer - not a sports car)
Not gutsy enough (see above - buy a Ferrari then)
Too girly (whatever - get over it!)
Rattles (an inherant problem of convertibles - live with it)
Roof canvas wear/waterproof (look after the fabric and seals and you'll be OK)

Any other info you would like, don't hesitate to contact any of us 'vert owners on here. Mechanically it's no different to any other Astra (well, turbo in this case), so all the normal gremlins apply. The only other factor is the roof operation. Check it, and then check it, and then get a mate to operate it while you check it again (and again).

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.

9090GO
20th March 2009, 07:58 PM
As I've stated before when the question on convertible ownership has been raised:
If you really, really, really want a convertible . . . get it. You won't regret it. But don't get one because you think you might like one . . . you'll find something about it you don't like and therefore not fully appreciate the experience.
Negatives can be:
Not safe enough (soft top = easy thief target mobile and stationery. Just be alert to where you park and drive)
Too windy/cold (put the windbreak and windows up, turn on the heated seats)
Too hot in summer (cap, sunscreen and sensible use of roof-up and air-conditioning)
Too heavy (it's a tourer - not a sports car)
Not gutsy enough (see above - buy a Ferrari then)
Too girly (whatever - get over it!)
Rattles (an inherant problem of convertibles - live with it)
Roof canvas wear/waterproof (look after the fabric and seals and you'll be OK)

Any other info you would like, don't hesitate to contact any of us 'vert owners on here. Mechanically it's no different to any other Astra (well, turbo in this case), so all the normal gremlins apply. The only other factor is the roof operation. Check it, and then check it, and then get a mate to operate it while you check it again (and again).

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.

+1, especially with the roof, will cost you big bugs down the track. I own a 2.2L vert, also thinking upgrade to a turbo vert, I am enjoy every moment I drive it.