PDA

View Full Version : Talking 'Bout Oil

darkirv
7th March 2009, 10:49 AM
my astra seems to be drinking lots of oil lately :(, whats the best type of oil for valve protection if your floggin it most of them time? what brand and grade of oil do you guys use and how do you find it?

rjastra
7th March 2009, 11:14 AM
Manufacturers recommendations are best. Synth or Semi-synth oil.

darkirv
7th March 2009, 11:24 AM
dosnt sythetic oil go funny if it gets too hot? like sticky

xplosv57
7th March 2009, 01:18 PM
dosnt sythetic oil go funny if it gets too hot? like sticky

Not that i've heard of..........

More so though, you should really check why it's using alot of oil instead of just putting a 'band aid' on the issue!!

gman
7th March 2009, 04:11 PM
As above, if its using oil there has to be a reason and it might not be a good one...Get it checked or it could end up costing $$$$$'s...

Synth oil is as a general rule better than semi-synth and mineral oils. They won't go "sticky" AFAIK...I always go for a good synth oil in my car...Except when running one in..

I would check the the viscosity rating your using and go to the manufactures rating...10W40 it what they recommend for the turbos. I only use Motul, Redline or Royal Purple (my preferred) oil.

rjastra
7th March 2009, 06:55 PM
Synth oil is as a general rule better than semi-synth and mineral oils. They won't go "sticky" AFAIK...I always go for a good synth oil in my car...Except when running one in..

Not true anymore as alot of new cars come filled with synth/semi synth oil from day one.

cbrmale
7th March 2009, 08:14 PM
Modern engines use smaller oil galleries to reduce pumping losses, and therefore need low-viscosity oil for winter starts, meaning they have to be run-in on synthetic oil. The recommendations for current Astras is 0-30, 0-40, 5-30 or 5-40: all only available in synthetic. They are filled with Mobil1 0-30 at the factory, but I run Castrol Edge 0-40 in my '07 2.2 for extra protection in summer.

At 24,000km it feels like it is just starting to loosen up, and the fuel economy is getter better and better all the time.

MAD-16V
7th March 2009, 08:45 PM
I use Mobil 1 5W-50.

I have previously used Penrite sin 5W-60 Synthetic , Penrite HPR10W-50 Semi synthetic , Nulon 15W-40 synthetic.

The mobil has been the best of the bunch as far as mileage and driveability.

Is your oil leaking anywhere?
Does your car blow smoke when at operating temperature?

Keep'emRunning
12th March 2009, 02:27 PM
my astra seems to be drinking lots of oil lately :(, whats the best type of oil for valve protection if your floggin it most of them time? what brand and grade of oil do you guys use and how do you find it?

..probably leaking out from the oil seals under the timing belt cover :o

USC
12th March 2009, 04:44 PM
or the rear main seal...u will never see the leak as it goes in between the gearbox.

darkirv
29th March 2009, 05:16 PM
theres no leaks.. no smoke i get black soot around my exhaust and bits on the back of my car

Shay
30th March 2009, 02:55 AM
as far as valve protection liquimoly snd other brands do oil additives designed to reduce wear in hi revving applications, ie of you have a lead foot.