PDA

View Full Version : Astra CD player problems..

astra_city
25th January 2004, 02:34 AM
Hey guys
In my 2003 Astra City the CD player (standard) has now played up twice since I got the car brand new 2 months ago. Both times I have been listening to a CD...switched to radio for a while and then tried to go back to the CD and had CD ERROR come up and the cd get stuck in the machine unable to be ejected.

First time Holden just plugged computer into their computer and told the ECU to eject cd and it did no worries. Second time happened yesterday...so today we disconnected battery and re connected it and the CD pops out and is working fine again!

Is this a common problem? It must be a software problem...as both times it has been to do with electronics. Just wondering if there is a fix to this?

Cheers

SmellyTofu
25th January 2004, 07:08 AM
Blaupunkt 520 / 2020 CD Player
Inoperative Due To CD Not Ejecting
SB / JR / TS / TT / JS / XC / TT

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION
Customers may complain of Blaupunkt 520 & 2020 CD players becoming inoperative due to CD’s not ejecting. After investigation into the root cause Blaupunkt have made a software revision to rectify this condition.

PRODUCTION RECTIFICATION
Blaupunkt implemented the software revision in all CD player fitted to vehicles at the Port Of Entry on the 1st of November 2001.

SERVICE RECTIFICATION
If you have a customer who presents a vehicle with the above condition the following steps should be performed.

Step 1. Determine if the CD player is pre or post break point by removing it and inspecting the bottom left corner of the label attached to the top cover for the FD number. Pre breakpoint units have an FD number below FD187. Post break point units have an FD number FD187 or higher.

If unit is Pre breakpoint go to Step 2.
If unit is Post breakpoint go to Step 3.

Step 2. If the CD player is pre break point, contact Blaupunkt as per the Special Warranty Component Replacement Requirement section in SIP and request approval to replace.

If your Retailship Outlet does not stock a replacement CD player refit the original unit and rebook the customer to enable fitment of the new unit
when it arrives.

Step 3. If the CD player is post break point, removing it from the vehicle to inspect the label will have rectified the condition (disconnecting the power supply).

Refit the CD player, check the operation and submit a PIR indicating the FD number on the label and the serial number stamped into the side of the CD player case.

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Use Labour Times information in Warranty
Information section of current PV SIP CD

astra_city
26th January 2004, 12:15 AM
thanks heaps mate thats a huge help.
Sounds like that could be the problem, except my car is only couple of months old! disconnecting the power supply sounds familiary though...as when we disconnected battery it worked. I'll take it in to Holden and get them to check it out.

Cheers

01CDsedan
31st January 2004, 08:12 PM
That's interesting - my 520 has once or twice refused to spit CDs out, and generally it doesn't eject CDs the whole way - just sort of pokes them out a little and I have to pull them out manually. Mine's a 5/01 build and 10/01 delivery, so I may mention that at my 60k service.

01CDsedan
31st January 2004, 08:15 PM
Actually one other thing - Smelly, you seem to have access to all the service bulletins, would there be any way to see all of them online or something? It would be interesting to know what to look out for, problems that we may not know existed etc.

SmellyTofu
31st January 2004, 09:32 PM
Actually, no... I still don't want to be fried for putting the whole thing online for public viewing. It is still propriety information. What I put up are the easy, to do... but the rest are just replacements for bits and pieces and some that require Tech2 to fix.

Rhino
2nd February 2004, 10:39 AM
That sounds like a different problem, and one that I encountered.

Scenario: Early model Astras - 00/01.

Turn the radio on with ignition OFF
Start the car - the radio or CD continues playing, uninterupted while the car starts (They usually cut out and then resume).

Blaupunkt discovered that this was causing a power spike in the head unit and causing them to not eject properly, so they rewrote the software as mentioned.

They supposedly fixed this in '02 and later models...

The CD ERROR isn't one that I've heard of...